The Arruvia Conspiracy - Gripfest Test of Masculinity.

WhiteGhost

Smack!  A red hand print shows clearly on WhiteGhost’s cheek where he has been slapping himself every few minutes to keep himself awake.  Looking down at the computer screen dejectedly, WhiteGhost lets out a long sigh.  I got nothin’ 

WhiteGhost has been wracking his brain for the last three days trying to figure out what the message from Blinky could possibly mean.  He has run every decryption program he could think of but nothing was working.  He had spent hours combing through the recovered hard drive for decryption codes or any hint of what encryption methods Blinky preferred but every lead was a dead end.  WhiteGhost had even considered asking an anonymous hacker group such as the Shadow Brokers for help, but without knowing who was involved he just couldn’t risk it.

The sun broke through a crack in the curtains, and WhiteGhost let out a curse in frustration. “This is beyond me.  I’m gonna need some help…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission 1: Improve Grip Strength 2x/Week (Included in Mission 2 Routine)

Spoiler

1.   One hand unsupported hang - 5 seconds/hand x2

2.   Alternate hand hangs - 5x/hand

3.   One hand supported hangs - 10 seconds/hand x2

4.   Chain pullups - 5x

Mission 2: Full Body Conditioning Workout 2x/Week

Spoiler

1.   Landmines - 15x/leg

2.   Jump MU / Eccentric MU 5x

3.   Oblique Situps - 25x (50x on last circuit)

4.   One hand unsupported hang - 5 seconds/hand x2

5.   Front Levers - 10x

6.   Unweighted Bulgarian Split Squats - 15x/leg

7.   Chain pullups 5x

8.   Explosive Pullups 10x

9.   Flutter Kicks 100x

10. Alternate Hand Hangs - 5x/hand

11. Dragon Thrusts - 10x

12. Jump Lunges - 30x

13. Headbangers - 10x

14. Hello Dollys - 50x (100x on last circuit)

15. One hand supported hangs - 10 seconds/hand x2

16. Knees to Bar - 10x

17. Air Squats - 25x (50 on last circuit)

18. Clap Pushups - 10x

19. GHR (reverse situp?) - 50x

20. Scapular Retractions - 15x

Rinse and repeat for 3 total circuits

Mission 3: Focused Flexibility 5x/Week

Spoiler

1.   Bent Knee Ankle Stretch

2.   Longsitting Stretch

3.   Straight Knee Ankle Stretch

4.   Forward Fold

Mission 4: Prepare & Serve 1 New Recipe/Week

Spoiler

1.       Select recipe by Tuesday

2.       Buy online ingredients by Wednesday

3.       Buy other ingredients by Friday

4.       Cook & serve meal during weekend

Because I failed my Go/No-Go for my last challenge, I need to complete a side quest before I can advance to the next level.  To complete the side quest, I need to get someone to join me in doing grip related workouts for the two remaining full weeks of the challenge.  

Go/no-Go = Both myself and partner need to complete grip challenge for weeks 3 and 4

• Like 5
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Ok, for those who are paying attention, yes this is pretty much the exact same challenge as last time.  I did this for 3 reasons:

1. I have some ideas for what I want to do for my next challenge but want to wait until I have a full challenge to do them

2. I have not had time to think through exactly what those will be yet, and this challenge is already half over

3. I didn't complete my Go/No-Go anyway, so it is a good excuse to keep things the way they are

4. I felt like it

OK so 4 reasons.  Math is not part if this challenge

Shout out to @fleaball, @Sylvaa, @Severine and @NeverThatBored for the challenge title

Anybody want to be my accountibilibuddy for this one?

• Like 4

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

OK, so lot's to update since I was here last.

Just got back from a really tiring trip back to the US.  Originally my parents were going to be back in Utah (where most of my siblings live) for August so we were going to make one stop and see everyone from a single location.  Unfortunately, my moms oncology report came back very negative, so she cancelled her trip out to Utah and we arranged to cut short the Utah portion and spend a week in San Antonio with them. @Tanktimus the Encourager recommended a few restaurants to take them while I was there if she was feeling up to it.  However, as luck would have it, between the time we left Beijing and arrived in San Antonio (a 2 day trip with all the layovers), her favorite brother suddenly passed away (he was diagnosed recently with T-cell Lymphoma, but it progressed much faster than anyone anticipated).  My mom decided to rearrange her treatment schedule so she could attend the funeral 2 days later in Idaho Falls.  However, because she doesn't fly (her father died in an airplane accident when she was 10) it meant a 2 day road trip.  Within 24 hours of arriving in San Antonio we were on the road again.  I normally don't mind road trips, but given my mom's situation and the tight schedule, it was not the most enjoyable road trip I have done.  It was nice to spend time with my parents, but it would have been nicer to chat in a living room.

At the funeral I got to see most of my siblings, but it wasn't really the best place to catch up on old times.  Unfortunately, the road trip cut short the time I was planning to use to visit siblings in Utah and only managed to spend some quality catch up time a with a few of them.  

Last time I was in Utah, I bought myself a toy

Spoiler

image.jpeg.b40a7bcf38749b35300bab0befd8f309.jpeg

and finally got the chance to accessorize it while I was out this time.  Picked up a scope, bi-pod, case and ammo.  The only thing I still need now is a can - apparently ATF has a 6 month waiting list for application approvals.  I went to the range with a couple of brothers-in-law the last day I was there but I had some bolt issues and wasn't able to get it working.  One of my BiLs is friends with a gunsmith so he will get it checked out and hopefully will get to go out and use it next year.

I did not do any workouts (or any exercise at all other than carrying a sleeping kid through a few airports (great workout for OCR bucket carries, btw) and ate nothing but junk food and fast food, with the exception of a few decent meals thrown in.  On the last day of the trip as were traveling back home, I ate nothing but a half dozen donuts and a bag of Snickers bites.  Somehow my weight and body fat % were unchanged from when I left, so not sure what happened there.  I was expecting to have to work off a lot from this trip. 

Woke up at 2am this morning #jetlagsucks

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

17 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Why is there no option to delete repeat posts?

Because there is no god. 

eta: wait, if you hit options on your own posts you can hide them?

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

8 minutes ago, fleaball said:

eta: wait, if you hit options on your own posts you can hide them?

Cool, seems like it worked :)

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

I won a major battle against Chad* this morning.  I was feeling really jetlagged and tired and was not really in the mood for a workout.  However, I need to get back into things and so I dragged myself downstairs to the yard but had to fight of chad the entire time.  He almost git the best of me as I was trying to get through the end of my second circuit but I was saved by Ghostlet who called and asked if he could come down and workout with me.  It was a lot of fun to work out with him, especially watching him as he tried to do some of the exercises he just doesn't have the strength for yet (jump MUs, front levers, dragon thrusts, etc.).  He made a valiant effort, though, and stuck with me for a full circuit.

The scale may not show much has changed from not working out for 2 weeks, but it sure showed this morning.  I am going to have to play catch up for a bit to make up for my slothfulness during the holiday.

* Chad, a.k.a. Chadworth Dickington III, is the voice in my head telling me it's time to take a break because I am so tired and to have some yummy snacks because I totally earned them

• Like 3

Level 2 Ninja

Well done kicking Chad's ass. 

And oof, dude. What a trip back home! I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, and about your mom not doing so well. Hopefully you got some quality time with her amid the chaos.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

On 8/23/2017 at 10:58 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Because I failed my Go/No-Go for my last challenge, I need to complete a side quest before I can advance to the next level.  To complete the side quest, I need to get someone to join me in doing grip related workouts for the two remaining full weeks of the challenge.  

Go/no-Go = Both myself and partner need to complete grip challenge for weeks 3 and 4

I can add grip work to my current training.  What, specifically, would you need me to do?  Assuming remote partnering counts.  If you mean getting someone to work with you in-person, then nvm. :) 

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Sorry about your mom, and that your fun reunion trip ended up being such a rough time

I love your thread title! I've been working on really gripping the bar with my dead hangs, and it has improved my time

• Like 1

Wisdom 18.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

welcome back! yeesh. not what you want on your vacation time though :( 

glad you were able to start into a routine again and hooray for ghostlet saving the day!

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

21 hours ago, Severine said:

Chad is such a jerk. Everyone knows this. Way to tell him to get lost.

Image result for it is known gif

12 hours ago, fleaball said:

Well done kicking Chad's ass. 

And oof, dude. What a trip back home! I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, and about your mom not doing so well. Hopefully you got some quality time with her amid the chaos.

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry about your mom, and that your fun reunion trip ended up being such a rough time

I love your thread title! I've been working on really gripping the bar with my dead hangs, and it has improved my time

38 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

welcome back! yeesh. not what you want on your vacation time though :( 

glad you were able to start into a routine again and hooray for ghostlet saving the day!

Thanks, guys :)  it wasn't what I was hoping for my holiday, but it could have been much worse.  In fact, our timing was pretty perfect because earlier or later by a day or two and my dad would not have had a spare driver to take turns behind the wheel.

11 hours ago, Hazard said:

I can add grip work to my current training.  What, specifically, would you need me to do?  Assuming remote partnering counts.  If you mean getting someone to work with you in-person, then nvm. :) 

Working out with someone from NF in person would be awesome but logistically challenging :D  All I need is for you to make a grip related pass/fail type commitment and then not fail. If I get a minimum four grip workouts done over 2 weeks, and you successfully complete whatever you plan to do then I succeed and move on to the next section.  

Level 2 Ninja

32 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

All I need is for you to make a grip related pass/fail type commitment and then not fail. If I get a minimum four grip workouts done over 2 weeks, and you successfully complete whatever you plan to do then I succeed and move on to the next section.  

Count me in then.  I've been meaning to break out my Captain of Crush grippers and start working them again anyway.   4 days minimum over the next two weeks sounds good.  I'll probably even get more in, doing it as an accessory on my press/chinup days.

• Like 3

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

I managed to get in another workout yesterday, but it was really tough.  Jetlag is still kicking my butt and I only got 4 hours of sleep the night before so I was not feeling my best.  However, I was quite surprised to discover that my hangs have improved significantly since I first started last month, especially for the unsupported one hand hangs.  When I first started out I would fall off the bar before I finished rotating around, maybe 2-3 seconds each hand.  Yesterday I was able to last more than 10 seconds each hand, but the surprise was that I noticed I was able to almost completely eliminate any rotation/spin as I hung, even without any kind of contact or support.  I was also able to get in all 15 of my chain pullups without slipping off from the handle.  Yay progress!

Last night I made some shrimp based on a recipe in my cookbook.  I realized after I was ready to cook it that I hadn't prepared anything to go with it, so I whipped up some macaroni & tomato sauce.  It didn't look great, but it tasted fantabulous.  I am def making this again, but next time will try to make some Spanish/brown rice to go with it

Spoiler

NUjBl3Y.jpg

I also realized that my scale probably wasn't lying before, but I was probably just dehydrated from my trip which was messing with the readings.  After a couple of days of normal hydration, it shows more like what I would expect after two weeks of no exercise and stuffing my face with crap (i.e. highest BF% since June and highest weight since March)

One thing I have been neglecting is my stretching.  I keep seeing my stretching towel every night and I feel guilty for not doing it, but I get soooo sleepy well before bedtime (#damnjetlag) that I have a really hard time putting in the effort.  I need to make it happen tonight.

On 8/25/2017 at 11:30 PM, Hazard said:

Count me in then.  I've been meaning to break out my Captain of Crush grippers and start working them again anyway.   4 days minimum over the next two weeks sounds good.  I'll probably even get more in, doing it as an accessory on my press/chinup days.

Sweet! Lets get this gripfest party started!

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

hang progress! delicious shrimp! being hydrated! haha well done :D 

what about trying to get in a couple minutes of stretching right when you wake up?

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

17 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

what about trying to get in a couple minutes of stretching right when you wake up?

I cannot imagine myself ever getting out of bed even a few minutes early for stretching.  I can barely force myself to do it in the evening as it is.  My problem is not a lack of time for it but that I hate doing it :(   All the complaining about being too sleepy is just my current excuse...

I did get some stretching in last night though

Went through my workout routine this morning, I think I am making some good progress towards a muscle up.  Not sure, but it seems like I am getting really close.  I bet if I added a kip I could get there

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

2 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Sorry to hear about your holiday troubles.  It sounds like you're coming back strong though.  I cheat and go to classes where I can that force me to stretch - and then tell me how much I should be doing at home and I feel guilty and still don't do much!

I know deep down that flexibility is important but it is so hard to measure improvement (especially in ankle mobility which is my focus) and it doesn't feel urgent, so it tends to be the first thing that gets "forgotten".  A class would probably help with the accountability, but knowing me I would probably just come up with excuses to skip the class.

Level 2 Ninja

Today is the first day back to school for Ghostlet so I decided to try a new calisthenics park on the other side of his school.  It was good because it has both a 6ft and 7ft pullup bar, but doesn't have a GHR/reverse situp station or even a situp bench.  Because of this, I decided to make today into just an upper body workout and skipped (most of) the legs and ab exercises.  The 6ft bar is just the right height for me to move up in my jump MU progressions.  It is just high enough that it hits the limit of my ability, but not so high that I can't get it.  I ended up getting 10 jump MUs in before I hit muscle failure.  I was able to get in the rest of my regular upper body stuff, though.  However, the upper body stuff only wore me out so much that I was only able to keep up the grip work for one circuit.  By the time the second circuit came around my forearms were complete toast and I couldn't keep a grip longer than a second or two before I slipped off.

I managed to get in my stretches last night, and will do my abs workout from the abs PVP tonight to make up for skipping it this morning. Might do two depending on how I am feeling. 

I am planning to make some honey mustard chicken breasts for dinner this weekend.  Any suggestions on what I can do for sides? Ideally would like to have one carb/starch and one veggie but want something besides mashed potato and baked broccoli because I have done those too much recently.

• Like 4

Level 2 Ninja

After reading your posts, it just occurred to me I am not doing any kind of jump MU progressions (other than parkour climb-up progressions I mentioned in another post), and I have no idea why. This should be...must be...a thing.

I think I will borrow your idea of using a 6 ft bar (or wall, or fence, whatever I find).

• Like 1

Daryl of Barbaria - Rebel

Well, we're in it now. The s**t's hit the fan.

30 minutes ago, Daryl of Barbaria said:

After reading your posts, it just occurred to me I am not doing any kind of jump MU progressions (other than parkour climb-up progressions I mentioned in another post), and I have no idea why. This should be...must be...a thing.

I think I will borrow your idea of using a 6 ft bar (or wall, or fence, whatever I find).

I think the Jump MU has been really helpful for me in climbup as well, as the movements are very similar.  Before today I had been doing them on the parallel bars, but they were so low I was using almost all leg to get the momentum to get over the bar. By working on a higher bar it forces me to rely more on muscle and technique.

5 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'm glad you're back White Ghost.

It is nice to back into the swing of working out, but I have to be honest - I would much rather still be back on vacation :D

Level 2 Ninja

If only there were a workout park with lots of pull-ups bars at all heights from 5 feet to 7 feet so you could just do jumping muscle-ups on incrementally higher bars until you could almost do it from hanging :P

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

3 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

If only there were a workout park with lots of pull-ups bars at all heights from 5 feet to 7 feet so you could just do jumping muscle-ups on incrementally higher bars until you could almost do it from hanging :P

I kind of have one, just split between 2 locations. The park I went to this morning has 3 pull up bars of varying heights. I haven't measured them but I just assumed the middle one was around 6ft but it is probably a little higher.  The shortest is just above head level so it must be just under 6ft. I can grab the middle bar with my arms half extended so that is probably closer to 6.5ft. The tallest bar I have to jump to reach so it is probably 7.5ftor so. The bar in our complex is exactly the height of my palms when my arms are fully extended so I guess around 7ft or so. All of these bars, combined with the low (elbow height) and high (shoulder height) parallel bars means I could totally do incremental heights for MUs. 

In fact, that is exactly my strategy ;)

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja