The Arrested Development of SomeGuyFromScotland

Sometimes, a network gets it completely wrong and cancels an incredible show because ratings are beginning to falter.

tumblr_nahh7dl6mX1twe13wo1_500.gif

As time passes, interest slowly renews in the darkest recesses of the internet, growing into a clamour, and eventually Netflix cobbles together a reboot. In the grand tradition of these shoddy and shameless rehashings...

The Arrested Development of SomeGuyFromScotland

A select few of you may remember me. I came, I did some challenges, I dropped some weight, and then life started life-ing me and I disappeared. In early 2015, I weighed 255 lbs. I joined a gym, started eating better, found NF, and in around 18 months, I'd just about scraped under 200 lbs, got myself a nice suit, and life was going... better. But interest started to flag, and a combination of work-related stress, family dramas, injuries, illness and dark depression took hold, and I went under the ice for a while.

It started with some niggling aches and pains, which, after an extended period of doctor and hospital visits, were diagnosed as calcific tendonitis in the rotator cuff, and bone spurs in the neck. As I attempted to get those under control, my wife lost her mother as my own's dementia gradually progressed. She suffered a series of falls and spent a large chunk of the early part of this year in and out of hospital for weeks at a time. We're getting some support with her care now, which is helping greatly, but the dementia is only going to worsen as time passes.

With all of this in the background, I completely neglected my own well-being, quit exercising, ate like crap, didn't look after myself mentally, and spiraled into a dark place. I could feel my health worsening as my weight increased, to the point where everything was becoming uncomfortable, and I felt constantly sick, tired, and sore. A month ago, I made the decision to rejoin the gym and go completely cold turkey from my arch nemeses, chocolate, cakes and fizzy/energy drinks. On my first visit back to the gym on August 1st, I weighed myself.

257 lbs.

Back to square one, literally. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $100.

So tomorrow will be four weeks clean. I'm treating this like the addiction it is. One day at a time, one decision at a time. This is my life now. Still, though, one thing was missing. And I've known all along what it was. My support system here at NF.

Let the reboot begin.

tumblr_inline_mjlz8vz0cn1qhi137.gif?w=78

• Like 8

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

I'm glad you're back but sorry you struggled so much while you were away.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

I'm glad you've found your way back to us! And I'm sorry life put you through all that crap :( But I'm sure you'll rise stronger than ever.

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

2 hours ago, SomeGuyFromScotland said:

I'm rising as we speak, Terah.

?format=500w

• Like 3
Spoiler

I'll use this thread as a faux challenge until the next one goes up, that'll give me a couple of weeks to get up to speed a little and formulate some goals. Here are some random thoughts about where I am right now.

Weight - I've made it a conscious decision that I'm only going to step on the scales on the 1st of each month, or thereabouts. The initial weigh-in I did was on the electronic scales at the gym, so I'll stick with that too.

Food and Drink - As I said earlier, tomorrow will be four weeks with no cakes, chocolate or fizzy drinks of any kind. If at all possible, I'm going to try to keep that going to Christmas. More than anything else, I'm going to take it a day at a time, though. On the plus side, I had an AMAZING home-made vegetable curry tonight, and I've rediscovered my taste for prunes. I may have to sleep with the bedroom window open tonight.

Working out - the goal is 3-4 times a week for now, just building it up gradually. The current workout is as follows:

Cross Trainer: I'm incrementally building it up by going up 1 level and 1 minute each session. Tonight was 8 minutes at level 8, next session will be 9 at 9. I'll keep doing this until I hit a level where I struggle to finish it. Once I get there, I'll stop and tack a 1x1 onto the end of the workout and keep building. The end goal will probably be 20x20 twice in one workout, to start and finish.

Treadmill: Speed 6 (which I'm assuming is 6km/hr) for as long as I can, for now. Tonight, I did 13 minutes.

Rowing: Only when time permits for now, do 1000 metres. I'm currently just over 5 minutes. I'm going to aim to get closer to 4 minutes, just to see if I can.

Physio: Make sure I finish off with the exercises the physio has given me for my neck and shoulder. My next appointment is next Thursday afternoon.

Something I've noticed over the years. I work out better (and generally do better with motivation to diet, etc.) when I'm angry or fighting against something. I think my biggest mistake has been trying to over-positive myself into being something I'm not. If I can channel any anger and negativity I have into the workouts, maybe that's the key for me.

Things in the works - besides the fact I want to get my ass back into reasonable shape by at least Christmas, I've got a couple of events in the calendar as motivation. At the end of January, I'm taking SWFS to see Miss Saigon for her birthday. It would be nice if I could get back into my suit by then. If not, I would at least like to not look like a complete schlub. Two weeks after that, I'll be going to hear Henry Rollins, one of my absolute heroes, speak in Glasgow. If it's at all possible, I'd like to get a chance to shake his hand and tell him what an inspiration he's been to me for the best part of 30 years. Finally, we've made it our mission to go on a family holiday next year. We haven't been abroad since 2012, and next June will be our 20th wedding anniversary. So, over the next few days, we're looking at taking the plunge and just booking, probably for Turkey.

It's good to be back, guys. I missed you all.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, SomeGuyFromScotland said:

Something I've noticed over the years. I work out better (and generally do better with motivation to diet, etc.) when I'm angry or fighting against something. I think my biggest mistake has been trying to over-positive myself into being something I'm not. If I can channel any anger and negativity I have into the workouts, maybe that's the key for me.

Love this! If that's what motivates you, keep it going :) 

• Like 1
Spoiler

I'm sorry you had to go through all that! Welcome back :)

10 hours ago, SomeGuyFromScotland said:

If it feels right and harms no one (yourself included), then do it. Be your own authentic self! If you like comics, check out The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa, which is basically a story of how Scrooge raged his way to become the wealthiest duck alive :D The way the comic handles rage as a fuel is rare, and interesting.

E7IxTCA.jpg

• Like 1

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

12 hours ago, deftona said:

vbpkkljl255z.jpg

Can I tho

When we say "dive into someones suitcase" in Dutch (de koffer in duiken) we mean doing "yoga". 

Does this means the same?

• Like 2
Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Terah said:

When we say "dive into someones suitcase" in Dutch (de koffer in duiken) we mean doing "yoga". 

Does this means the same?

Ha. No. It literally means can I jump in your luggage and come on holiday with you.

Although maybe Scotty is part Dutch because I think he meandered down your avenue (again, not a euphemism but I vote to make it one) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Let me start by saying I WAS NOT a fan of the Arrested Development 'reboot'. Not going to say it was awful, but it just wasn't as good to me as the original. Now that is out of the way let me just say this:

When I read your post it felt like I was looking into what my life could become if I slip up. Thanks for showing me what can happen and what challenges I might come to face one day. I don't mean this to be insulting, I'm just trying to prove that from your bad experience testification, some good can come of it. Now, get ready because here comes the motivation:

Fire forges us and makes us stronger. It just does. Some people pray for conflict to strengthen themselves. The trick is to not do too much at once. DO NOT neglect to rest and if you rest for too long, get back up. I know it is hard to tell how long to rest for, best thing you can do is experiment and see what works for you. But this is not just about resting. It is about you getting back up and going at it. You've already remembered the number one rule: Don't give up. Now it's time to focus on the second rule: Get back in the game. Whatever it is you want, you'll never get it if you give up. Only by pushing yourself and tempering your ability will you achieve success in ANY endeavor. You got this!

• Like 2

I'm training to be (like) Batman physically, mentally, and financially.

All is still well, particularly as Def has alerted me that it's Greek Week in Lidl's, and therefore hunting season on tins of Eridanous vine leaves. I also grabbed the tinned aubergine in tomato sauce, and enough feta that I could conceivably build a cheese igloo, should I choose.

Made it through another weekend (almost) with no chocolate or fizz. Today is day 30.

Had two glasses of Liquid Salad on Friday night, but with none of the accompanying munching that normally happens. Small victories.

I'm planning to weigh in at the gym, probably on Thursday, and let the chips fall where they may.

Mmmm, chips...

@Roamer, thank you for the encouraging words. I'll happily be the cautionary tale for anyone who needs it.

• Like 6

Scotty! So good to have you back! I consider myself lucky to be one of the "select few". I have fond memories of 2015 (many of which include you, Def, & the doodlies...) and some less fond memories (so many burpees). We'll get back there! I too have let myself slide and am working to rebuild positive momentum. I wish you much success on your journey & will be stalking you along the way.

• Like 5

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me