Anyone ever read "Raising a Modern Day Knight"?

I'm just starting to reread it after about a decade.

It's an interesting book that uses the concept of Squires and Knights and codes of honor as a parenting guide for raising boys.

After I've finished the reread I intend to incorporate a few of the ideas in to my Epic Quest.

Just curious if anyone else has read and/or used the ideas with their boys.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

View My Character page here: Stage 5

View My Youtube Channel here:Permaculture Newbies

I haven't read that, but I personally incorporate elements of the feudal Japanese honour codes in my own personal life. Or at least try to. I've been trying to think of ways to incorporate it into how I raise, discipline, teach etc my own son

• Like 1

Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

-Miyamoto Musashi

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/83906-kvedulfs-second-challenge-first-steps-on-a-new-way/

The Robert Lewis book? I just watched a video series on it. It's a good concept, very, very cheesily executed. Rites of passage are pretty important for initiating boys into manhood, but having a pretend accolade with a prop Braveheart sword doesn't feel genuine. I liked the timeline he came up with and the idea of creating your own rite of passage for your son(s), but I don't think wholesale copying of historical groups is the way to go.

• Like 1

Yes, that's the one. I agree with regards to the sword.

Using the basic concept when my (now 20 year old) son turned 13 we had a "welcome to manhood" day. Myself, my brother and my best friend took him to the gun range and then out to dinner, just us men, no women allowed. We spent the day talking to him about what I meant to be a man. In retrospect I think we could have executed it better, but it was still a worthwhile day.

I have two ten year olds who I hope will benefit from a better execution of the concepts this time around.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

View My Character page here: Stage 5

View My Youtube Channel here:Permaculture Newbies