• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bighara

At last! Muay Thai

Last night @otterbyte and I officially left the conditioning class and stepped onto the mat for our first Muay Thai session! I've been working toward this for over a year now, getting back into some kind of shape and learning some basic techniques in the fitness class (heavy bag work and some glove drills). 

The warm-ups and conditioning portions are about the same as the fitness class', but the partner/pad drills are more intense than just smacking the bag. Holding the pads for your partner was harder than punching and kicking! (Shoulders say OW!) The Fitness KBoxing really helped ground me on the basic techniques, though. My footwork is terrible, as I'm too used to just standing in from the bag and whaling away instead of sticking & moving.  

The class is not traditional, old-school Muay Thai, but the instructors are great teachers and there is a very friendly vibe among the students. It's an adults (16+) only class (kids at the school take TKD). No big egos or BS, just folks interested in learning and getting a good workout. I'm too old for the testosterone-laden attitudes anyway.

We'll be back on Saturday AM for class #2. We were doing 3x per week in the old class, but we'll stick with 2x for now and work up.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2017 at 8:11 AM, Bighara said:

Last night @otterbyte and I officially left the conditioning class and stepped onto the mat for our first Muay Thai session! I've been working toward this for over a year now, getting back into some kind of shape and learning some basic techniques in the fitness class (heavy bag work and some glove drills). 

The warm-ups and conditioning portions are about the same as the fitness class', but the partner/pad drills are more intense than just smacking the bag. Holding the pads for your partner was harder than punching and kicking! (Shoulders say OW!) The Fitness KBoxing really helped ground me on the basic techniques, though. My footwork is terrible, as I'm too used to just standing in from the bag and whaling away instead of sticking & moving.  

The class is not traditional, old-school Muay Thai, but the instructors are great teachers and there is a very friendly vibe among the students. It's an adults (16+) only class (kids at the school take TKD). No big egos or BS, just folks interested in learning and getting a good workout. I'm too old for the testosterone-laden attitudes anyway.

We'll be back on Saturday AM for class #2. We were doing 3x per week in the old class, but we'll stick with 2x for now and work up.

Awesome stuff. Where do you train?

Pad holding is a separate skill in itself. It's a good investment (for both yourself and your training partners) to learn it; it saves you a lot of jammed fingers, fractured forearms, and kicks in the gut. (There are probably free Youtube videos out there, as long as you vet your sources. Duke Roufus' Striking University also developed their own course on it.)

• Like 2

The school is in suburban Maryland. It's called Black Belt Martial Arts. 

They do periodically offer a 1-day pad holding class. It's usually on Saturdays. I asked the instructor to consider holding it again as there are several new)ish) students in the MT class this fall. 

Hey! I just started too! I did it differently, though. Instead if conditioning to prepare for Muay Thai, I'm using Muay Thai as my motivation to start exercising. So...that's proven to be challenging. Haha! But I love it so much! It's going to become a long term thing for me, for sure.