Thoughts on the Mayweather/McGregor fight this weekend?

I've not seen much aside from the spambots posting links, but is anyone looking to watch?  I like to watch boxing but really haven't for several years.  I used to box regularly but a decade ago I decided I liked my nose more than I liked boxing.

Seems to me that Mayweather has an amazing defense, and his 49-0 record is pretty impressive.  McGregor is younger, powerful, and unpredictable.  Seems a lot of people are betting on a major upset.  It could be an exciting bout in any case.

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

I believe it. It's too bad we have the spambot problem we do. 

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Sounds like it was pretty exciting, even if it did end more or less like I figured. Part of me was hoping for an upset (that's the American in me, I suppose) but part of me wanted the boxer to soundly defeat the MMA guy to preserve the integrity of the sport. 

Spoiler

If both athletes trained 10000 hours for the fight.

Floyd trained 10000 hours boxing.

Conor trained 3k h boxing, 3k hours kicking, 4k grappling.  (and perhaps a few thousand hours talking smack)

It was obvious Floyd would win the match, he has trained for THAT sport and THAT sport alone. 

• Like 1

Vegan Bum Adventurer on a bike.

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Current

I think the odds were always in Mayweather's favor.   As you point out, he's a boxing champion in a boxing championship.  And one of the best defensive boxers in memory.

That said, history is littered with upsets and it's always great to see them.  I think that McGregor should be proud of his performance, in any case.  If Mayweather screwed up big, it could have been an upset.  

Spoiler