The IF/Leangains Mutual Support Thread

scotticus

Hooooly shit.

I tried a pre-workout supplement for the first time today. Not BCAAs, just a sample of one I had lying around, Xlr8 Lemon-Lime. It was absolutely disgusting. I thought it was going to make me puke. But then I felt EPIC, a bit twitchy, started sweating a bit BEFORE I started lifting... two sets in, I felt absolutely top-notch, set personal records on deadlifts and pull-ups, even though I just tacked the pull-ups on to the end of a day I didn't normally do them. Just so much energy. Felt a little queasy when I wasn't being active. It's faded now, I have 2.5 hours until I break my fast, and I feel GREAT.

Oh my god. I love this.

So much this (see bold above). That's what I love about this program - a little quick math and most things are eminently eatable. I've enjoyed a scone or two myself :)

As for your question, don't stress things too much. Andy, my coach, has basically told me to get as close to the benchmarks as possible, but don't beat yourself up if you just can't (for reasons other than laziness or lack of discipline, of course). The key, he says, is consistency. As long as you don't deviate too much in terms of mealtimes, etc. then you can measure with some degree of confidence and make changes as necessary. If a 6.5 hour window works for you, I don't think someone like Martin or Andy would tell you to stretch it out to 10 hours arbitrarily. That said, if it comes to light that you do need to lengthen your feeding window for some reason or another, you could always just save some of your protein budget and hit up a nice casein shake 30-60 minutes before you retire for the night.

Thanks for the feedback! Man am I looking forward to my scones this afternoon.

It's really good to hear this. I did figure it wasn't too big a deal, but it's nice to get some feedback from someone who's actually working with a professional! I'll just try to stick to the schedule the best I can.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Hooooly shit.

I tried a pre-workout supplement for the first time today. Not BCAAs, just a sample of one I had lying around, Xlr8 Lemon-Lime. It was absolutely disgusting. I thought it was going to make me puke. But then I felt EPIC, a bit twitchy, started sweating a bit BEFORE I started lifting... two sets in, I felt absolutely top-notch, set personal records on deadlifts and pull-ups, even though I just tacked the pull-ups on to the end of a day I didn't normally do them. Just so much energy. Felt a little queasy when I wasn't being active. It's faded now, I have 2.5 hours until I break my fast, and I feel GREAT.

Haha that supplement sounds awesome.

Starting day 1 today! I've decided on doing an 11am - 7pm feeding because until at least Labor day my lunch break at work will be 1115-12 every day...damn sea lion show schedule making us have an early lunch...but at least it's consistent!

Here's the breakdown I got from the IF calculator:

Training Day – 40% carbs, 45% protein, 15% fat

C: 293.5 g P: 126 g F: 43.5 g 2069 cals

Rest Day – 20% carbs, 55% protein, 25% fat

C: 72 g P: 126 g F: 95.9 g 1655 cals

I'm 5'4 ~126 for reference

I'm also going to be working out fasted, as I've found I'm way more likely to get to the gym if I do so early in the AM (btwn 530 and 6) then if I try and go after work (the motivation usually is just not there...plus I smell like fish :) ). I picked up some BCAAs from GNC yesterday to help tide me over after working out until lunch time. Luckily our morning schedule is really busy between training sessions and shows so I should be active/busy enough to not really worry about being hungry. I'll just bring my BCAA H2O bottle and drink it at work!

I'm actually pretty excited to see how this works out! And this thread has been so helpful. Thanks everyone!

I used to train dolphins and sea lions...now I'm traveling the world on a solo mission of awesomenss (16 months and counting)  :)

**Check out the account of all my travel adventures on my website Home Behind - The World Ahead (get it?....get it?)**

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.†– Robert Louis Stevenson

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.†– Susan Sontag

“Not all those who wander are lost.†— J. R. R. Tolkien 

Starting day 1 today! I've decided on doing an 11am - 7pm feeding because until at least Labor day my lunch break at work will be 1115-12 every day...damn sea lion show schedule making us have an early lunch...but at least it's consistent!

Here's the breakdown I got from the IF calculator:

Training Day – 40% carbs, 45% protein, 15% fat

C: 293.5 g P: 126 g F: 43.5 g 2069 cals

Rest Day – 20% carbs, 55% protein, 25% fat

C: 72 g P: 126 g F: 95.9 g 1655 cals

I'm 5'4 ~126 for reference

I'm also going to be working out fasted, as I've found I'm way more likely to get to the gym if I do so early in the AM (btwn 530 and 6) then if I try and go after work (the motivation usually is just not there...plus I smell like fish :) ). I picked up some BCAAs from GNC yesterday to help tide me over after working out until lunch time. Luckily our morning schedule is really busy between training sessions and shows so I should be active/busy enough to not really worry about being hungry. I'll just bring my BCAA H2O bottle and drink it at work!

I'm actually pretty excited to see how this works out! And this thread has been so helpful. Thanks everyone!

I'm doing the early morning workout, break fast at lunch thing too, and so far it's awesome. Good luck!

Hooooly shit.

Oh my god. I love this.

Be careful. A quick search online for this XLR8 stuff came up with several products, each with astounding amounts of caffeine, up to 400mg.

As someone who's had 200mg caffeine tablets before, I can't imagine what 400 would do to someone 75% my size :P

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Be careful. A quick search online for this XLR8 stuff came up with several products, each with astounding amounts of caffeine, up to 400mg.

As someone who's had 200mg caffeine tablets before, I can't imagine what 400 would do to someone 75% my size :P

Yeah, I don't intend to use it regularly. Five minutes in I was thinking "HAHAHAHAHA THIS IS GOING TO F*** ME UP." Even in my head, it was all caps.

The stuff I've ordered in bulk has been recommended from a couple sources, though. :)

Edited to add: I think sometime this weekend I'm going to stop by the shop we got the sample from and find out what the actual commercial product is, so I can be warned if I ever want to try it again!

My first meal post exercise was like 1300 cals. Will NOT be doing that again. I need to spread it out more. 6 hours later and I still feel full but have to push through if I want to make my macros. This is going to be tricky!

I used to train dolphins and sea lions...now I'm traveling the world on a solo mission of awesomenss (16 months and counting)  :)

**Check out the account of all my travel adventures on my website Home Behind - The World Ahead (get it?....get it?)**

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.†– Robert Louis Stevenson

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.†– Susan Sontag

“Not all those who wander are lost.†— J. R. R. Tolkien 

Hooooly shit.

Oh my god. I love this.

I got a sample of some Gaspari SuperPUMP250 (BEEEFCAAAKE!!!) with a protein order a while back, and noticed a very similar effect up to and including a better than normal workout. I thought about making it a regular thing. But then I did a little research about how quickly people tend to build a tolerance to the stuff and have to consume stomach melting quantities of it to get the same buzz... Let me know how things go if you continue this experiment :)

Just ate 80g carbs, 100g protein, and 20g fat in one sitting for my post workout meal. Food baby ftw.

Nothing like a solid half kg of meat on a plate! And 80g is a good amount of carbs, too. Let us know if you notice increased muscle fullness later tonight or tomorrow am. It might be in my head, but I've noticed that I'm a bit beefier 12 or so hours after my refeeds... :P

Nothing like a solid half kg of meat on a plate! And 80g is a good amount of carbs, too. Let us know if you notice increased muscle fullness later tonight or tomorrow am. It might be in my head, but I've noticed that I'm a bit beefier 12 or so hours after my refeeds... :P

I'm not quite sure what feeling you're referring to. Describe?

Usually, my favorite part is how I feel post workout drinking my BCAAs. Feels so good.

I got a sample of some Gaspari SuperPUMP250 (BEEEFCAAAKE!!!) with a protein order a while back, and noticed a very similar effect up to and including a better than normal workout. I thought about making it a regular thing. But then I did a little research about how quickly people tend to build a tolerance to the stuff and have to consume stomach melting quantities of it to get the same buzz... Let me know how things go if you continue this experiment :)

Yeah, I'm not surprised it has that kind of effect.

Well, I'll be trying at least two other types of pre-workout supplement. I have one more sample of a different kind which I'll be trying Monday, and then I'll be on BCAAs for Leangains... hopefully by Wednesday. The BCAAs are coming in from America and I didn't pay for super-fast shipping, so it's entirely possible they won't have arrived when I run out of samples... might stop by the shop and see if there's something else I can try in the mean time!

Argh, I keep wanting to try this. I like working out fasted, and if I did a 10-hour window that would put me at... basically not eating breakfast. It's not like I have many calories to spread around that ten hours, either - something like 1200 on non-workout days and 1600 on workout days, according to the Leangains calculator.

I'm doing Whole30 for the challenge, but maybe after that.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

Gah, so happy to see this thread here!

Been doing lean gains intermittently (ha ha) for about a year now. Goes great when I stick to it, not so hot when I don't (I've been spending a lot amount of time in the office the last few months; not an excuse, but ya know.) So I've been back on the wagon for a week now and I'm feeling so much better. Though I do have a question.

The other day was supposed to be a workout day: 1 meal pre-WO, training at 5, then two PWO meals with the majority of my calories. I ate about a 50/50 split of carbs/protein for the pre-wo meal, and then I had to work late and never hit the gym, snacking on apples and jerky to get me through the evening. Ended up with about 900 calories for the day, ~80g carb and 120 protein plus some trace fat. Not exactly optimal. Does anyone have strategies for days that start out as training days but end up as rest days?

For info: I'm doing 1400/1800 with 1.5 g protein/LBM and 25/75 carb fat split between days.

• Hazard unpinned this topic