The IF/Leangains Mutual Support Thread

scotticus

So let's say I'm an idiot (and sometimes like today I am), and I want an all encompassing starting path to understand everything that has been said here (because honestly i've understood very little) and I want to beable to take that information and go start doing intermittent fasting. what i'd been doing was maybe a day or two a week not eating for 24 hours. then eating like normal or whatever. I don't count calories. I just look at my food and say "is this more protein and veggies than i used to eat before i ever started training? yes? good i guess this is enough then." I'm always trying to add more but honestly time to prepare is a big deal in my life. i simply don't have time to do it without staying up forever which is why IF is appealing to me. I can make all my food at once in one big meal and mow down for a few hours between gym and bed time and maybe something in the morning when i get up.

so...yeah teach me the ways. no fancy talk. Because like i said i'm stupid.

So let's say I'm an idiot (and sometimes like today I am), and I want an all encompassing starting path to understand everything that has been said here (because honestly i've understood very little) and I want to beable to take that information and go start doing intermittent fasting. what i'd been doing was maybe a day or two a week not eating for 24 hours. then eating like normal or whatever. I don't count calories. I just look at my food and say "is this more protein and veggies than i used to eat before i ever started training? yes? good i guess this is enough then." I'm always trying to add more but honestly time to prepare is a big deal in my life. i simply don't have time to do it without staying up forever which is why IF is appealing to me. I can make all my food at once in one big meal and mow down for a few hours between gym and bed time and maybe something in the morning when i get up.

Okay, if all you're interested in is Intermittent Fasting... choose 8 hours a day you'll eat and fast the other 16.

Otherwise, are you interested in Lean Gains or no?

Okay, if all you're interested in is Intermittent Fasting... choose 8 hours a day you'll eat and fast the other 16.

Otherwise, are you interested in Lean Gains or no?

No sir. Because I'm not sure what that is...*goes to goole*. wait. it is IF but with the purpose of cutting fat and building muslce? doesn't this happen anyway with IF? Or no? Regardless I would be interested in this too. if properly educated.

No sir. Because I'm not sure what that is...*goes to goole*. wait. it is IF but with the purpose of cutting fat and building muslce? doesn't this happen anyway with IF? Or no? Regardless I would be interested in this too. if properly educated.

Yes. It's IF plus building muscle and losing fat. If you're interested in this, the first post has a link to a page where a very knowledgable blogger explains it all.

EDIT: The links are "LeanGains Guide" and "Why is lean gains so effective?" should explain them in pretty good english. If I can understand the gist of it, so can you. ;)

Bruce McClain/Snake McGuinness/ whatever the hell your name is now ;)

IF is much more general than what we've discussed here. Put in its simplist terms, Intermittent Fasting = The delibrate control of food intake and exercise such that an individual strategically controls the transition between fed and fasted states. The fed state is an acute period of caloric surplus, while fasted is an acute period of caloric deficit.

The 'acute' section is critical, because it's controlling whether you are systematically anabolic or catabolic at any given time. You cannot be anabolic while fasted; you can't be fed and catabolic.

Modern bulking/cutting cycles use CHRONIC periods of fed and fasting states in order to influence the system in one way or another. Any program which uses ACUTE periods of fed vs fasting states is technically IF.

The two most popular approaches are: limiting the feeding window to 8 or fewer consecutive hours in a day (leangains style, also similar to Ramadan fasting), and 24 hour fasting. 24 hour fasting has an individual pick one or more days in a week in which to totally abstain from caloric intake (generally recommended to pick resting days for this).

That's about as simple as I can put it without getting into nitty-gritty details and/or physiology.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Okay. i've done some reading from lean gains and some other random places and this is what i've found....and some other thoughts.

1) it's super convenient for me to pack in all my food into a time window since my schedule of sleep work gym/shower/eat/prepareMealsForNextDay/CleanKitchen is too complicated. It would make much more sense for me to just pack it all into one meal.

2) i find that an "ideal" is to say...as i read it eat at like 1 pm (anytime is fine) hit the gym at 3-330 (just around two hours after meal, again any time is fine), then eat again a couple hours after. all within the time window chosen. then don't eat again until 1pm (whatever time chosen 24 hours later) the next day. maybe some nuts or a piece of fruit here and there.

question regarding point 2. This isnt good for me. hitting the gym with food in my stomach isn't going to work. i'll barf. second i'd be at work wrapping up the day when this dictates i should be beginning my food intake. so i don't know if that works exaclty but how about this.

3) Wake up. don't eat. go to work. still don't eat. Go to the gym. kick ass. Go home. eat. shower. eat again. watch tv and eat some then. sleep. repeat.

is it bad to not eat until after the workout? From what I've read I would think that the energy is getting pumped in the day before so you should be fine right? *shrug*. this would be ideal for me since my life sucks and is crazy.

discuss.

Okay. i've done some reading from lean gains and some other random places and this is what i've found....and some other thoughts.

1) it's super convenient for me to pack in all my food into a time window since my schedule of sleep work gym/shower/eat/prepareMealsForNextDay/CleanKitchen is too complicated. It would make much more sense for me to just pack it all into one meal.

2) i find that an "ideal" is to say...as i read it eat at like 1 pm (anytime is fine) hit the gym at 3-330 (just around two hours after meal, again any time is fine), then eat again a couple hours after. all within the time window chosen. then don't eat again until 1pm (whatever time chosen 24 hours later) the next day. maybe some nuts or a piece of fruit here and there.

question regarding point 2. This isnt good for me. hitting the gym with food in my stomach isn't going to work. i'll barf. second i'd be at work wrapping up the day when this dictates i should be beginning my food intake. so i don't know if that works exaclty but how about this.

3) Wake up. don't eat. go to work. still don't eat. Go to the gym. kick ass. Go home. eat. shower. eat again. watch tv and eat some then. sleep. repeat.

is it bad to not eat until after the workout? From what I've read I would think that the energy is getting pumped in the day before so you should be fine right? *shrug*. this would be ideal for me since my life sucks and is crazy.

discuss.

My understanding from reading is that point 3 is what is being suggested and point 2 is for people who can't do that can't fit the workout around the time that the fast should be ending. I thought working out fasted was a major staple in these programs.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

I would suggest starting here - this is the most comprehensive guide that I've found that isn't too sciency. Otherwise, check out the calculator link in the OP and get some help from Catspaw or Loren filling it out. Then, BOOM!

http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/08/leangains-intermittent-fasting-guide-how-to-do-it-by-yourself/

Also it's worth noting that you can still do leangains without training fasted - there are a few different protocols that will have much the same effect. Fasted training is considered optimal, however.

I also think that you could do it to some degree without true fasting, but by eating under your needs during the fasting period and over during the refeed time. This becomes a matter of practicality as the calories go up. Eating in a small window is a little LOL if you are trying to take in 4000 calories a day.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

A lot of what lean gains is based on is fasted workouts. I always fast before my workout.
My understanding from reading is that point 3 is what is being suggested and point 2 is for people who can't do that can't fit the workout around the time that the fast should be ending. I thought working out fasted was a major staple in these programs.

I thought that was the case. but i read elsewhere (not leangains) that was saying to eat a bit an hour or so before the workout and i was just left sort of confused because in that article it was referencing LG quite a bit.

I would suggest starting here - this is the most comprehensive guide that I've found that isn't too sciency. Otherwise, check out the calculator link in the OP and get some help from Catspaw or Loren filling it out. Then, BOOM!

http://rippedbody.jp/2011/10/08/leangains-intermittent-fasting-guide-how-to-do-it-by-yourself/

Also it's worth noting that you can still do leangains without training fasted - there are a few different protocols that will have much the same effect. Fasted training is considered optimal, however.

i like the sciency stuff as long as it is explained in the article or material i'm reading. but when people are dropping well you need x645lq' (obviously made up) to maintain well blah blah blah. yeah that means nothing to me. if that makes sense. but i'm glad to see that working out fasted is optimal because that's what's going to be happening.

I thought that was the case. but i read elsewhere (not leangains) that was saying to eat a bit an hour or so before the workout and i was just left sort of confused because in that article it was referencing LG quite a bit.

i like the sciency stuff as long as it is explained in the article or material i'm reading. but when people are dropping well you need x645lq' (obviously made up) to maintain well blah blah blah. yeah that means nothing to me. if that makes sense. but i'm glad to see that working out fasted is optimal because that's what's going to be happening.

That's only for people who can't workout in a fasted state due to their schedule.

I also think that you could do it to some degree without true fasting, but by eating under your needs during the fasting period and over during the refeed time. This becomes a matter of practicality as the calories go up. Eating in a small window is a little LOL if you are trying to take in 4000 calories a day.

8 hour window, 500 calories every half an hour.

Problem? [ATTACH=CONFIG]2659[/ATTACH]

post-3173-13567243564359_thumb.jpg

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

i am looking at my goals and i need near 3k calories a day to achieve the weight i need. i'm like...600 away with what i've been doing IF i add another half dozen eggs a day. yikes. and...i know Loren is all paleo. I'm not due to cost/convenience/laziness or whatever. but when i say not paleo i mean occasionally i'll have something with bread (maybe once a week) and my meat is from a normal grocery. I eat johnsonville brauts and stuff as part of my daily meat. This a horrible idea? A lot of chicken (with bone and skin). Just trying to figure out where to get this extra food/protein from.

also lean gains mark mentions this pre workout 10g bcaa mix or something? what is this?

i am looking at my goals and i need near 3k calories a day to achieve the weight i need. i'm like...600 away with what i've been doing IF i add another half dozen eggs a day. yikes. and...i know Loren is all paleo. I'm not due to cost/convenience/laziness or whatever. but when i say not paleo i mean occasionally i'll have something with bread (maybe once a week) and my meat is from a normal grocery. I eat johnsonville brauts and stuff as part of my daily meat. This a horrible idea? A lot of chicken (with bone and skin). Just trying to figure out where to get this extra food/protein from.

also lean gains mark mentions this pre workout 10g bcaa mix or something? what is this?

1) You don't need to be paleo.

2) Just hit your macros, no matter your diet.

3) BCAA = Branch Chain Amino Acids. They're very important when doing fasted training. They help with recovery without breaking your fast.

1) You don't need to be paleo.

2) Just hit your macros, no matter your diet.

3) BCAA = Branch Chain Amino Acids. They're very important when doing fasted training. They help with recovery without breaking your fast.

1) sweetness

2) okay i guess i'll go figure out what that means (i've heard it alot but reading up on this while at work is tough)

3) I've seen this a bunch too but where/what is a mix of this? this can just be purchased somewhere? i just take this what like an hour before workout?

1) sweetness

2) okay i guess i'll go figure out what that means (i've heard it alot but reading up on this while at work is tough)

3) I've seen this a bunch too but where/what is a mix of this? this can just be purchased somewhere? i just take this what like an hour before workout?

2) Hitting the macros means that you hit the appropriate ratios of macronutrients on a given day. In the Leangains Protocol, you will have different ratios given for a resting day and a working day, which for the purposes of this discussion would mean a strength training day. You monitor what you're doing that day and what you're eating that day, and try to keep up with the calculations.

3) You can find a mix at just about any place where supplements are sold. The easiest place for me was the Vitamin Shoppe chain of stores. You just go in, pick up a tub of powder, and follow the instructions. You take it about 15 - 30 minutes before working out, although you can do even sooner than that.

Once you dial it in, the macros thing is pretty awesome. Today I actually snuck in a half dozen cadbury mini-eggs that were leftover from easter. Just a few quick calculations to make sure they fit, and yummo! This is definitely one of the biggest merits of the macros system - you almost never have to feel deprived.

On that note, I actually had some meetings run long today and I didn't get to break my fast until 3:30pm (1.5 hours late). You would figure I'd have been starving, but at that point I was feeling pretty good and thought to myself "maybe I should just not eat today". Fortunately common sense and discipline kicked in shortly thereafter and I ate - but not owing to any real sort of hunger...

I will check out this macro thing. I just hate doing the mental work if calculating and portioning stuff out. I've just got so much going on adding another thing won't work. But maybe it will. Ill investigate further.

EDIT: I checked out the IF macro calculator...seriously how am i supposed to eat this much? LOL. i have no idea how to consume that much food at all. Like..that is a crap ton of food. The calories...fat/protein...i simply don't even know what to eat to make this happen. also i don't fully understand some of the other steps. what exactly is this telling me?

I've kinda been doing my own IF (I don't eat between dinner and breakfast - usually about 14 hours). So starting today, I'm stretching that out to 16 hours. Need to look at calculating macros...

Also, after 15 straight months of dumbbell strength training (almost daily)... I'm switching to all body weight exercises this week. Still trying to design my workouts.

You can change the over/under on the calories. By default, it's set to 20% over on work-out days, 20% under on rest days. You can change that to 10/10, 20/10, 0/0... whatever floats your boat.

Also, on the BCAA/fasted training thing. If you plan on eating immediately after the workout, the BCAA may not be necessary. Only if there's going to be more than 40 minutes or so between your workout and first meal should you take the BCAA. Before training, if fasted, it can also assist training intensity if you consume about 5g of sugar. That's like a tiny cup of juice. Tricks the body into thinking that more carbs are coming its way, and upregulates glycogen utilization.

You can change the over/under on the calories. By default, it's set to 20% over on work-out days, 20% under on rest days. You can change that to 10/10, 20/10, 0/0... whatever floats your boat.

Also, on the BCAA/fasted training thing. If you plan on eating immediately after the workout, the BCAA may not be necessary. Only if there's going to be more than 40 minutes or so between your workout and first meal should you take the BCAA. Before training, if fasted, it can also assist training intensity if you consume about 5g of sugar. That's like a tiny cup of juice. Tricks the body into thinking that more carbs are coming its way, and upregulates glycogen utilization.

How do you manage this if you work out five days a week? I do heavy upper body MWF, heavy lower body + heavy bag TTH, nothing on Saturday and Sunday. Are all five weekdays 10-20% over days?

Also, where is a good place to buy BCAAs? Chain stores, something nationwide. Couldn't find them at Walmart, CVS, or Walgreens...GNC? I'll buy online if necessary, but I prefer to buy locally.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

• Hazard unpinned this topic