The IF/Leangains Mutual Support Thread

scotticus

So, I took aj's advice, and something interesting happened.

I decided to play around with the measurements some to see what it would take to hit the measurements he figured I was at. By expanding the measurable area, and eliminating the use of the 'clicker' on the caliper, I've been able to find a measurement of about 14.3%. Given that the calipers have a 1.1% margin of error, erring on the high side gives me a measurement of 15.4% - very close to the mathematical model he described.

Obviously I'll need more practice, and I intend to keep running the measurements on a day by day basis, but. I just wanted to give a heads up.

Catspaw and I are consistently getting questions in chat about Lean Gains and IF. I suck at explaining this but Catspaw is great at it. Apparently, Catspaw blames me for all of the questions. Probably because I tell everyone to ask her. Sorry, Ms. Catspaw. She offered to explain, in a nutshell, what Lean Gains is.

Presenting, Ms. Catspaw and the Story of Lean Gains:

Okay, so here's the deal.... Normally when folks want to lose fat and gain muscle, here's what they do: They cut for a while, then they bulk for a while (gaining both), then cut for a while (losing both), then gain, cut, bulk, cut bulk and these take place over several months per cycle. The goal of each one, of course, to gain as much muscle as possible during the bulks, and lose as little muscle as possible during the cuts.

Lean Gains is essentially that exact same thing but instead of several-month cycles, it's two-day cycles. So you have cut days and bulk days. Cut day, bulk day, cut day, bulk day. Little tiny steps towards your goal.

So how do you actually do this?

Well, we want a few different things to happen.

1. During our cut days, we want as little muscle lost as possible.
  2. During our bulk days, we want as little fat stored as possible.

This is called "calorie partitioning": given a calorie, where does it go? Muscle or fat.

For the cut days, also called "rest days", it's kinda like most "preserve muscle" plans. You want to eat at a calorie deficit and you want to eat LOTS of protein. That protein is what keeps your muscles from being eaten by your body.

So, the important things on rest days are:

1. Eat at a deficit.
  2. Eat lots of protein.

On bulk days, we want as little fat stored as possible because we won't be eating at a deficit.

Many people will even eat at a surplus here, so we do not want that surplus going to fat. We do that by first working out hard via strength training which makes our body hungry for carbs, then we feed it the carbs it wants, and we feed it lots of protein (which the body doesn't like storing as fat) and we keep our fat intake very, very low. So even though you might have a lot of insulin in your body in response to all those carbs, the low fat intake means that very little of it gets stored as fat.

So, so far we have:

• Rest days = lots of protein, calorie deficit.
  • Workout days = lots of protein, low fat.

Those are the most important bits, so now just to fill in the rest.

• On rest days, since we're at a deficit, it doesn't matter if we eat lots of fat. So this is a great time to refill on it. Thus lots of folks recommend 50% of your remaining calories (after protein) on fat, and 50% on carbs but you can do whatever really works for you here.
  • On workout days, since we want protein high and fat low, you "fill the rest" with carbs, the only remaining macro and that's the basis for the rest and workout day macros, and the bits that are important.

Lovely and concise. Hopefully this will answer many of the questions...

Loren, your new avatar is the best ever.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

same here. the idea of me doing lean gains is just impossible. last night eating my calories in that window made me vomit. seriously. i hate until it literally came back up. So if I'm doing any sort of intermittent fasting it will have to be a day or two a week where i go 24 hours without food. this just isn't feasible for me. :( which makes me sad.

Bruce: which is a perfectly viable alternative. Eat Stop Eat is easily acquirable (read: piratable) and gives a pretty good outline for 24 h fasts. IF just isn't meant for everyone, and if you can't make it work, that's OK

Kishi: mmmm yes young padawan, much potential I see. The caliper-fu grows stronger!

Loren n cats: very nice concise device. C wut i did thur? :P

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Okay. I've been wanting to try Leangains for a while. This thread is a good kick in the pants. I'm slowly making my way through. It is good. :)

I'll need to be on an early morning workout protocol: so BCAAs before and after my 7 AM workout, break my fast at 1, stop eating at 9. I think I can do that. I already work out fasted, at least. And I really like the idea of being able to have big meals when I'm actually having them, because frankly, I am a tiny woman who is now at a passable weight, and everything I can find suggests that I want to be around 1300 calories a day to lose any more fat. 1300 calories a day over three meals SUCKS. Two meals? They'll be decently sized.

Payday yesterday, so I'll order some BCAAs soon. A friend of mine has recommended Scivation Xtend.

I'll start after that arrives and I get my body fat properly measured my gym.

Playing around with the macro calculator to figure out my diet...

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Hmmm, interesting...

As we’re on the subject, I’ll also mention that I’ve revamped the diet guidelines I use for my female clients. For example, the fasted phase is now 14 hours by default, not 16 hours which is the case for men. This has brought about much greater diet compliance and less negative symptoms among women. The rationale for changing the guidlines makes a lot of sense based on the amount of feedback I’ve been getting, as well as my research on the topic. It turns out that women has lower plasma glucose concentrations than men after the same time spent fasting. In practical terms, this means that women in general are more likely to get moody and hungry if they go too long without feeding, while men can go longer without experiencing any negative effects, and this is exactly what I’ve been seeing. Men can do 16 hours quite easily, not so with women; for them, 14 hours is the sweet spot. (sic)

http://www.leighpeele.com/martin-berkhan-and-intermittent-fasting-interview

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Lovely and concise. Hopefully this will answer many of the questions...

Loren, your new avatar is the best ever.

Thanks!!!

I've decided to put my leangains goals to rest for now, there's just no way I'm eating 10 medium sweet potatoes worth of carbs (236g) in a single day. Gonna eat breakfast again for a week, see of my progress starts again: it stalled when I started feeding at noon each day.

You're miscalculating something. One medium sweet potato is about 400g. I only consume two of those per day.

same here. the idea of me doing lean gains is just impossible. last night eating my calories in that window made me vomit. seriously. i hate until it literally came back up. So if I'm doing any sort of intermittent fasting it will have to be a day or two a week where i go 24 hours without food. this just isn't feasible for me. :( which makes me sad.

When you start asking about ice cream and stuff, this makes me assume your food quality is bad. I think this is a poor image of lean gains and it's not fair to blame lean gains dude.

Okay. I've been wanting to try Leangains for a while. This thread is a good kick in the pants. I'm slowly making my way through. It is good. :)

I'll need to be on an early morning workout protocol: so BCAAs before and after my 7 AM workout, break my fast at 1, stop eating at 9. I think I can do that. I already work out fasted, at least. And I really like the idea of being able to have big meals when I'm actually having them, because frankly, I am a tiny woman who is now at a passable weight, and everything I can find suggests that I want to be around 1300 calories a day to lose any more fat. 1300 calories a day over three meals SUCKS. Two meals? They'll be decently sized.

Payday yesterday, so I'll order some BCAAs soon. A friend of mine has recommended Scivation Xtend.

I'll start after that arrives and I get my body fat properly measured my gym.

Playing around with the macro calculator to figure out my diet...

Scivation Xtend is fantastic. You have a good friend. It's the first tolerably flavored BCAA I've had. And it's cheap. $25 on amazon for 30 days. Not bad.

Good luck with LG!

I started this morning. Where I am I don't have a scale or even a tape measure, so sadly I won't be able to track progress and see results like Kishi did in one week, but it's all good.

I didn't have any trouble waiting until noon to break my fast--it was almost more natural than cooking as soon as I woke up. I worked out last night with my CrossFit trainer how I can have 3 full rest days a week.

Only thing I didn't plan--I haven't purchased BCAAs. Gonna order it today, hopefully will be here by next week.

Does everyone work out fasted? I have a crazy schedule sometimes so I'm not sure that it'll be possible to always work out fasted--most of the time it will be though.

Does everyone work out fasted? I have a crazy schedule sometimes so I'm not sure that it'll be possible to always work out fasted--most of the time it will be though.

I do but only because that's what works with my schedule.

Honestly, if I had a choice, I'd work out 2-3 hours after my first meal, cuz sometimes I'm hungry while deadlifting. :D

So do what works for your schedule.

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

When you start asking about ice cream and stuff, this makes me assume your food quality is bad. I think this is a poor image of lean gains and it's not fair to blame lean gains dude.

Wow. Really? Okay well last night it was three bowls of mixed veggies. 2 bratwursts. 4 pork chops (roughly 8 oz total) 2 bananas 2 glasses of almond milk with 4 eggs blended into each. a very very small cornbread muffin (and i mean tiny). what else....oh a piece of veal. all that in an 8 hour window made me sick. not massively barfing. but it was coming back up. Not enough carbs there sure. but that's what i had. I'm not going to go eating ice cream. the ice cream was a hypothetical question which I thought was pretty obvious. I was just throwing it out there.

The point i was making was a not a flaw in the program itself. but that i (my stomach mainly) is not going to absorb all that in that time frame. is till didn't hit my needed calories. i started eating at 330 was in the gym by 530. worked my butt off. went home and immediately started in until 11pm. saying it isn't working for me to cram it in such a small window. not trying to take a shot at the leangains program as obviously it is working for people.

understand now?

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list

1 cooked, medium sweet potato is 114g, 23.61 of which is carbs. "Medium" is 2 in diameter, 5 in length, which is about what the ones I buy measure.

Hmm. When I buy a sweet potato and put it on my scale, they tend to be ~300-400g. Fits in my hand.

/shrug

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Any chance some people can lay out some meal plans here to get a feel for what they're eating? I'm playing with my numbers in MyFitnessPal and I'm going ot have a serious time getting in that much protein without fat. Almost all my protein sources (eggs, beef, chicken) carry a good amount of fat in them.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

• Hazard unpinned this topic