The IF/Leangains Mutual Support Thread

scotticus

Any chance some people can lay out some meal plans here to get a feel for what they're eating? I'm playing with my numbers in MyFitnessPal and I'm going ot have a serious time getting in that much protein without fat. Almost all my protein sources (eggs, beef, chicken) carry a good amount of fat in them.

Lean protein sources:

* Chicken breast

* Egg whites

* Shrimp

* A lot of fish: tuna, tilapia, flounder, etc.

* Pork tenderloin

* Lean beef cuts (like london broil)

* Ground turkey breast

* 96% ground beef

[...]

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Wow. Really? Okay well last night it was three bowls of mixed veggies. 2 bratwursts. 4 pork chops (roughly 8 oz total) 2 bananas 2 glasses of almond milk with 4 eggs blended into each. a very very small cornbread muffin (and i mean tiny). what else....oh a piece of veal. all that in an 8 hour window made me sick. not massively barfing. but it was coming back up. Not enough carbs there sure. but that's what i had. I'm not going to go eating ice cream. the ice cream was a hypothetical question which I thought was pretty obvious. I was just throwing it out there.

The point i was making was a not a flaw in the program itself. but that i (my stomach mainly) is not going to absorb all that in that time frame. is till didn't hit my needed calories. i started eating at 330 was in the gym by 530. worked my butt off. went home and immediately started in until 11pm. saying it isn't working for me to cram it in such a small window. not trying to take a shot at the leangains program as obviously it is working for people.

understand now?

I unnerstans. I just wanted to make it clear to others reading this thread that it's not the program at fault here. That's all good buddy.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list

1 cooked, medium sweet potato is 114g, 23.61 of which is carbs. "Medium" is 2 in diameter, 5 in length, which is about what the ones I buy measure.

Have you tried a food scale? That's really small.

Any chance some people can lay out some meal plans here to get a feel for what they're eating? I'm playing with my numbers in MyFitnessPal and I'm going ot have a serious time getting in that much protein without fat. Almost all my protein sources (eggs, beef, chicken) carry a good amount of fat in them.

What Catspaw said... but as far as specific meals right now..

Scrambled eggs--mix of whole eggs and whites (usually two whole, 3-4 whites), veggies (onion, mushrooms, peppers, spinach). OH and some turkey sausage that is actually lean ground turkey mixed with salt, fennel and pepper at my farmer's market. Since they list the sources and ingredients I can easily find the nutrition info on it. It's very low fat for sausage (woot).

Chicken in son of grok BBQ sauce with modified carrot-parsnip puree (from nomnompaleo) OR steamed carrots and snap peas OR roasted cauliflower.

Pork tenderloin chops with spices cooked up in my cast iron skillet. Again with random veg like above.

More ground turkey but just turkey-no sausage. With more veggies and salsa (newman's or frog ranch).

Extra lean ground beef (96/4).

I'm not sure what numbers you're trying to achieve but making sure to get lean cuts of meat has helped me. I was eating an astounding amount of fat each day prior to this so cutting down to mid 30's range was HARD. Just as a point of reference, I'm aiming for around 190g protein a day (I like a lot of protein).

I do get some of my protein from dairy sources, though. So, that helps (as they can be fat free or very low fat). Not so helpful if paleo, though.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I've been trying IF but with my awkward work and class and sleep schedule it's kind of erratic. Over the summer I'll transition, I think, into a more LeanGains-type IF routine, but for now it mostly consists of work-out when I can and go 16 hours between my last and first meals...basically that means that my eating window varies and that I don't always workout fasted, haha. My weekly schedule is just so erratic that it's hard to match things up, but hopefully I'll be able to adjust it over time

if that makes any sense

I've been trying IF but with my awkward work and class and sleep schedule it's kind of erratic. Over the summer I'll transition, I think, into a more LeanGains-type IF routine, but for now it mostly consists of work-out when I can and go 16 hours between my last and first meals...basically that means that my eating window varies and that I don't always workout fasted, haha. My weekly schedule is just so erratic that it's hard to match things up, but hopefully I'll be able to adjust it over time

if that makes any sense

I'm still in school and work some overnights, so I understand. The way I'm going to fast is based on my sleep/wake cycles--eat __ hours after rising in order to gain some consistency.

Geez. The calculator thingie is recommending 140 daily grams of protein for me. That's nuts. I don't know if I can even afford that much protein. I'm averaging about 85 grams a day right now.

I'm liking the calories it's recommending though... 1500 on rest days and 1900 on workout days. (Rounded off slightly.) In two meals and maybe some snacking... God that sounds good. I've been on 1300-1400 for a while now. It has sucked. No wonder I've plateaued, I guess!

I'm going to try and put together some meal plans for myself.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

I'm interested in this, but not sure how feasible it would be. When I put all my info into that IF Calculator, it tells me I need about 190g of protein each day. That seems like a lot, and I'm not sure how I could get it. I will not drink protein shakes or anything. It would be a crapton of meat and eggs, wouldn't it? I do a paleo diet, and you'd think the protein would be the easy part for me, but oddly enough, it sounds like maybe the most difficult.

Also, I'd like to see if I can get my husband to give it a go as well. He only is able to work out in the late evenings. How would this work for him?

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

I eat fat free cottage cheese, so I can adjust how much fat I get with it by adding fat from other sources like olive oil or nuts. If you use egg liquid instead of eggs, it doesn't have fat, so those are calories that are just protein. Of course, if you're doing strict paleo neither of these help because cottage cheese is dairy and egg liquid is processed, but if you're not, those might help. (I also eat regular eggs, but having a fat free option is nice because I can also get extra fat from other sources there too and not have to worry about how much fat the eggs have.)

I also eat ground turkey, chicken breast, and fish (which sometimes is not low fat but sometimes is). I tend to get higher fat ground beef than what other people have mentioned (80% lean) and then suck extra fat out so it can cook in the fat but I don't eat as much of it. Of course, I don't know how much fat I'm getting this way, which is why I hate counting calories. I had a ten ounce steak which was either 800 calories (if I called it steak) or 500 calories (if I called it sirloin.) Which is a large difference. Did I mention I hate counting calories?

I'm interested in this, but not sure how feasible it would be. When I put all my info into that IF Calculator, it tells me I need about 190g of protein each day. That seems like a lot, and I'm not sure how I could get it. I will not drink protein shakes or anything. It would be a crapton of meat and eggs, wouldn't it?

I am also doing this on paleo.

My workout days look like this:

28 oz (1.75lb) lean protein, 2x8oz sweet potato, 2 fruit, 1 Tbsp fat, veggies

My rest days look like this:

20 oz medium-fat protein, 10 oz lean protein, veggies

It's a lot of food. But it's a lot of delicious food. :D I've also found that my metabolism is just zinging (I have lots of energy throughout the day -- bouncing off walls) which makes me hungrier. :)

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

I eat fat free cottage cheese, so I can adjust how much fat I get with it by adding fat from other sources like olive oil or nuts. If you use egg liquid instead of eggs, it doesn't have fat, so those are calories that are just protein. Of course, if you're doing strict paleo neither of these help because cottage cheese is dairy and egg liquid is processed, but if you're not, those might help. (I also eat regular eggs, but having a fat free option is nice because I can also get extra fat from other sources there too and not have to worry about how much fat the eggs have.)

I also eat ground turkey, chicken breast, and fish (which sometimes is not low fat but sometimes is). I tend to get higher fat ground beef than what other people have mentioned (80% lean) and then suck extra fat out so it can cook in the fat but I don't eat as much of it. Of course, I don't know how much fat I'm getting this way, which is why I hate counting calories. I had a ten ounce steak which was either 800 calories (if I called it steak) or 500 calories (if I called it sirloin.) Which is a large difference. Did I mention I hate counting calories?

I've been doing a whole30, so I've been super strict paleo, and I'm almost done with it, and not sure how strict I will be after. Dairy will probably still be out. Processed food is always out for me (unless I have no other options). I also hate counting calories, and don't have a kitchen scale, so that part may also be difficult. But if I decide to do it, I'll make it work.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

My workout days look like this:

28 oz (1.75lb) lean protein, 2x8oz sweet potato, 2 fruit, 1 Tbsp fat, veggies

My rest days look like this:

20 oz medium-fat protein, 10 oz lean protein, veggies

It's a lot of food. But it's a lot of delicious food. :D I've also found that my metabolism is just zinging (I have lots of energy throughout the day -- bouncing off walls) which makes me hungrier. :)

Sorry for the two posts in a row, but I'm not the best with message board thingies. It would probably be easier than I think to get the protein. I haven't been counting what I've been eating at all, so maybe I already eat more than I think. On your rest days do you not add any fat in besides what's in your meat?

I checked out that 30 Day Consistency Counts challenge that was linked to facebook, and plugged in the percentages that I saw there to see what my macros should be. Are you following those percentages as well, or something else? Sorry for all the questions. :)

I'd love to have more energy, and was hoping the whole30 I'm doing would help, but so far it hasn't. I've been headachy and foggy and just tired (and I'm nearing the end).

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

The point i was making was a not a flaw in the program itself. but that i (my stomach mainly) is not going to absorb all that in that time frame. is till didn't hit my needed calories. i started eating at 330 was in the gym by 530. worked my butt off. went home and immediately started in until 11pm. saying it isn't working for me to cram it in such a small window. not trying to take a shot at the leangains program as obviously it is working for people.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Typically I'm home from work at 6, back from the gym at 8, and eating between 8:30 and 9. I get *ONE* post-workout meal, and eating more than a little bit pre-workout doesn't work for me at all: intense workouts + food make my stomach do things I don't like. Thus I would need to pack 3000 calories in between my lunch at work, and my dinner. I can pull down the dinner end, but a 1000+ calorie lunch isn't happening for me.

So, I'm not really doing IF, but still working with the premise of macronutrient cycling - always high protein, but higher carb on workout days, lower-carb on rest days. You do the best you can with whatever situation you're in, I guess.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Decided to give myself a bit of a jump-start today while I'm waiting for my BCAAs to arrive. Sipping green tea, no breakfast, waiting until 1 for lunch... adjusted my nutrient and calorie goals on calorie count...

Not looking forward to switching those up every day just to get accurate goals/tracking though. Anyone come across a nutrition tracking site that works well with IF and carb cycling?

Edited to add: Just called up my gym and they say they can measure my body fat percentage for me whenever I like, should only take a couple minutes. So I will do that tomorrow morning. Whoo!

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Good luck everyone this is turning into a real event! Haha.

I've been doing IF for over a month now. Not lean gains, but inspired to do the 8 hour window from Martin. I'm considering going at this with my training 3 days a week, but I was curious. I calculated my BMR with different calculators.

If I know my bodyfat is the Katch-Mcardle the best way?

Second question, my goal is a pound a week in loss for experimentation meaning that I would need to have a deficit of 3500 calories from my BMR correct? My reasoning is if I use Katch-Mcardle doesn't that mean that if I ate exactly my BMR, I should eventually way that weight since it uses lean mass for calculations.

Warrior in Training - I squat, therefore I am TestChallenges Feb-March | Log | PvP one | Old Challenges three, fourfive, six

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

DaveSix, I think it depends on your goals. How much are you working out? I'm doing lean gains so I'll probably be trying to get in 2g per kg of protein (or more) every day.

However, on my workout days I'm going to attempt to eat my leftover calories in carbs, and rest days the leftover calories in a little more fat.

Warrior in Training - I squat, therefore I am TestChallenges Feb-March | Log | PvP one | Old Challenges three, fourfive, six

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

Decided to give myself a bit of a jump-start today while I'm waiting for my BCAAs to arrive. Sipping green tea, no breakfast, waiting until 1 for lunch... adjusted my nutrient and calorie goals on calorie count...

Not looking forward to switching those up every day just to get accurate goals/tracking though. Anyone come across a nutrition tracking site that works well with IF and carb cycling?

Edited to add: Just called up my gym and they say they can measure my body fat percentage for me whenever I like, should only take a couple minutes. So I will do that tomorrow morning. Whoo!

Loren's going to beat me up for this one, but Daily Burn has a tracking app that I've found suitable for the task. It's pretty easy to work with - you track how many servings of whatever you eat, search for it in a database, plug in how many servings you ate, and it goes from there. The app uses a similar circular graph that adjusts depending on what you've eaten, and it's quite helpful. It's also apparently not prone to the same serving misunderstandings that you run into with other apps.

Good luck everyone this is turning into a real event! Haha.

I've been doing IF for over a month now. Not lean gains, but inspired to do the 8 hour window from Martin. I'm considering going at this with my training 3 days a week, but I was curious. I calculated my BMR with different calculators.

If I know my bodyfat is the Katch-Mcardle the best way?

Second question, my goal is a pound a week in loss for experimentation meaning that I would need to have a deficit of 3500 calories from my BMR correct? My reasoning is if I use Katch-Mcardle doesn't that mean that if I ate exactly my BMR, I should eventually way that weight since it uses lean mass for calculations.

I can't speak exactly to which formula works best. If you use the IF Calculator, and you plug in your body fat percentage, it automatically assumes that formula for you. I don't know if that's going to work for you or not.

Your calculations regarding the deficit are correct.

A lot of paleo sources on the subject are saying that one way to do this and make it easier on a paleo diet is to do the protein as recommended, but to eat less carbs and make up the rest with fat. if you're used to a ketogenic diet that might help. Just watch the calories. I may or may not try this (because I don't have a lot of carbs in my diet now).

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

I'm interested in this, but not sure how feasible it would be. When I put all my info into that IF Calculator, it tells me I need about 190g of protein each day. That seems like a lot, and I'm not sure how I could get it. I will not drink protein shakes or anything. It would be a crapton of meat and eggs, wouldn't it? I do a paleo diet, and you'd think the protein would be the easy part for me, but oddly enough, it sounds like maybe the most difficult.

Also, I'd like to see if I can get my husband to give it a go as well. He only is able to work out in the late evenings. How would this work for him?

What are your measurements? This seems high to me as well - my coach has got me on 200g for rest days and 170g for workout days. For reference I'm 6'1" and now 181lbs (we'll be making adjustments soon as I was 190lbs when I started the protocol three weeks ago). Unless you're exceptionally tall and/or muscular it's probably an overestimation.

What's wrong with tracking through Daily Burn?

I use myfitnesspal because out of all the tracking apps I've used theirs seemed to be the most fluid. You can use just about any site though, all the ones I've tested seemed to host that days macros. I know mfp has it at the bottom of the page for that day.

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

What are your measurements? This seems high to me as well - my coach has got me on 200g for rest days and 170g for workout days. For reference I'm 6'1" and now 181lbs (we'll be making adjustments soon as I was 190lbs when I started the protocol three weeks ago). Unless you're exceptionally tall and/or muscular it's probably an overestimation.

I'm 5'4", 119 lbs. I was going with the percentages on the FFF challenge that was referenced upthread, which has either 45% or 55% calories from protein, depending on whether it's a rest or training day. The reason I went with that is because I joined the challenge, and figured I was supposed to go with those numbers. Also because I'm not really familiar with leangains or IF, and although I have researched it quite a bit in the past couple of days, I'm still not really sure where my macro percentages should be.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

• Hazard unpinned this topic