A log by any other name...

Alright!  Back to lifting today.  I took yesterday off because I was moving furniture all evening in preparation for the new carpet going in on the upper level of my house.  Today was bench focussed.  

Flat bench 

Worked up to 2 sets of 10 @ 245

First set was captured on video, but the post will have to wait as Instagram doesn't seem to be working on my phone ATM.  Second set I did a pause before each press.  

Close grip

2 sets of 10 @ 205

Incline

2 sets of 10 @ 175

Celebrated the workout with a protein shake and a few bean crisps.

9 hours ago, SeanP said:

Worked up to 2 sets of 10 @ 245

First set was captured on video, but the post will have to wait as Instagram doesn't seem to be working on my phone ATM.  Second set I did a pause before each press.  

aka paused bench.

I assume you mean a pause at the bottom? often used for training for a meet or addressing a sticking point? 

9 hours ago, SeanP said:

Celebrated the workout with a protein shake and a few bean crisps.

I like the way you think. As if protein farts weren't bad enough. ;) 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

56 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

aka paused bench.

I assume you mean a pause at the bottom? often used for training for a meet or addressing a sticking point? 

I like the way you think. As if protein farts weren't bad enough. ;) 

Yep, paused bench.  Take a second on the bottom, then press.  This takes a lot of the stretch reflex out of the rep and basically fries your muscles quicker than touch and go pressing.  It is a good strategy for meet prep, but I honestly just did it last night because the weight was light and I wanted to challenge myself a little more. 

And FYI, bean crisps aren't bad for farting... strangely.  But protein, yeah, that's another issue...

not much happening this past weekend due to my highland games comp today.  Also, my brother was in from Fredericton for the weekend so we hung out a little and we did some dynamic effort deadlifting (he does a conjugate method program ATM).  I just followed along for kicks since I didn't want to push too hard before the comp... so I worked up to four sets of 2 @ 365lbs for speed.  I'm sticking with the sumo stance for now.  

Today was the comp, so that's what I did!  

I spent all day on my feet outside, pushed my body as hard as I could and ate garbage as a reward.  Now I'm settling my stomach with a soda water and lamenting how fat I am.  Totally worth it though.  

9 hours ago, SeanP said:

not much happening this past weekend due to my highland games comp today.  Also, my brother was in from Fredericton for the weekend so we hung out a little and we did some dynamic effort deadlifting (he does a conjugate method program ATM).  I just followed along for kicks since I didn't want to push too hard before the comp... so I worked up to four sets of 2 @ 365lbs for speed.  I'm sticking with the sumo stance for now.  

Today was the comp, so that's what I did!  

I spent all day on my feet outside, pushed my body as hard as I could and ate garbage as a reward.  Now I'm settling my stomach with a soda water and lamenting how fat I am.  Totally worth it though.  

Congrats on your 12:00 caber toss!!!!!! 

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:31 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Congrats on your 12:00 caber toss!!!!!! 

Thanks!  It was a much needed reprieve from the crappy day I was having up until that point. 

Update:

Yesterday I did some HIIT on the Airdyne... nothing crazy, just 6 rounds of 20 second sprints. 

Today will be deadlifts.  It was supposed to be last Thursday's workout, but some home stuff popped up (carpet installation) and then I had the competition on Sunday.  No more highland games or redecorating planned until the spring, so interruptions will be few going forward.

On 9/15/2017 at 7:43 AM, SeanP said:

And FYI, bean crisps aren't bad for farting... strangely.  But protein, yeah, that's another issue...

There's a chip they sell around here called "beanitos." Lovely flavor and it's a mix of rice and black beans, which is perfect for mrs laghail who can't have corn or wheat. Any time I have them, there's an obligatory performance from the horn section of the orchestra for the rest of the night.

Level 38 [TBD]

56 minutes ago, Laghail said:

There's a chip they sell around here called "beanitos." Lovely flavor and it's a mix of rice and black beans, which is perfect for mrs laghail who can't have corn or wheat. Any time I have them, there's an obligatory performance from the horn section of the orchestra for the rest of the night.

Sounds tasty and musical.  The ones I eat are mixed with corn, so maybe that offsets the gas (in this application alone)? 

• Like 1

I can't workout or hike on any kind of full ish stomach, more power to you! 

I still have nightmares about that time I tried to hike after going out for brunch lol now we only brunch AFTER we hike. 

And snacks only pre-lifting. ;) 

It's less the puking and more of the full stomach feeling uncomfortable. 

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I can't workout or hike on any kind of full ish stomach, more power to you! 

I still have nightmares about that time I tried to hike after going out for brunch lol now we only brunch AFTER we hike. 

And snacks only pre-lifting. ;) 

It's less the puking and more of the full stomach feeling uncomfortable. 

It is really uncomfortable.  I honestly wasn't anywhere near throwing up doing this set, but I definitely did not feel good! 

My lifting usually has to be done in the evening due to my schedule.  In the morning I'm getting ready and sharing some baby duties with the wife.  Then I commute 40 minutes to work, work, commute 40 minutes home.  Once home I occupy the little dude while Mrs. SeanP finishes meal prep (she's a teacher so she gets home way earlier than I do, so she typically takes over dinner).  Then we eat.  Then it's all about cleaning up, getting lunches for the next day and occupying the little dude.  Then get him to sleep.  So I can usually start lifting and cardio by about 7:30 - 8:00. 

I got tired just writing that.  I can't wait until this whole kids thing is little further progressed so I'm not directly responsible for as much of his hygiene. 

I'm sure if we let him watch TV that I could work out and he wouldn't even know I'm gone.  Must give this some thought...   

Anyway, that's just a long winded explanation as to why I often lift with food still in my belly. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, SeanP said:

It is really uncomfortable.  I honestly wasn't anywhere near throwing up doing this set, but I definitely did not feel good! 

My lifting usually has to be done in the evening due to my schedule.  In the morning I'm getting ready and sharing some baby duties with the wife.  Then I commute 40 minutes to work, work, commute 40 minutes home.  Once home I occupy the little dude while Mrs. SeanP finishes meal prep (she's a teacher so she gets home way earlier than I do, so she typically takes over dinner).  Then we eat.  Then it's all about cleaning up, getting lunches for the next day and occupying the little dude.  Then get him to sleep.  So I can usually start lifting and cardio by about 7:30 - 8:00. 

I got tired just writing that.  I can't wait until this whole kids thing is little further progressed so I'm not directly responsible for as much of his hygiene. 

I'm sure if we let him watch TV that I could work out and he wouldn't even know I'm gone.  Must give this some thought...   

Anyway, that's just a long winded explanation as to why I often lift with food still in my belly. 

I have deftly avoided the whole procreation thing. But @Grumble is all up in this warrior and parental unit lifestyle. And poor poor @Br0din is about to experience this joy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I have deftly avoided the whole procreation thing. But @Grumble is all up in this warrior and parental unit lifestyle. And poor poor @Br0din is about to experience this joy. 

Image result for I'm in denial

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

7 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Mine is gonna be 3 in January. It's a fantastically independent age.

4 minutes ago, Br0din said:

Image result for I'm in denial

You did the deed. You get all the poop that comes with it. Look on the bright side though. You have less of a chance of urine in the mouth during diaper changes with girls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior