Photography nerds!

Seeing all of these great photos makes me want to get a DSLR instead of just the P&S that I currently use...

Most of mine are taken on the volksmarches that I go on, or just local area shots.

My sets can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/drachenrogue/sets/

Dont worry. It is never the equipment but the person holding it. If you have a good eye even an Iphone can take a fantastic photo. 

• Like 1

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I've taken exceptionnal photos with my cell phone, it's the person holding it that will bring the magic to a picture :)

• Like 1

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Seeing all of these great photos makes me want to get a DSLR instead of just the P&S that I currently use...

Most of mine are taken on the volksmarches that I go on, or just local area shots.

My sets can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/drachenrogue/sets/

Ahh I haven't been on a volksmarch since I was a kid!  I wonder if there is any local volksmarching groups around.  

Ahh I haven't been on a volksmarch since I was a kid!  I wonder if there is any local volksmarching groups around.  

Check out the American Volkssporting Association website under "Clubs"; you can see if any are around, and under "Events" you can check for any local walks.

Race: Human / Level: 1 / Current Class: Adventurer / Goal Class: Ranger

STR: 2.5 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3.5 / CON: 3.5 / WIS: 4 / CHA: 4.5

My Background / Facebook / GoodReads / Flickr / Fitbit

~ Take Care, Live Life, and Pray Hard ~

"Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing, that nobody in the universe can do what we're doing."

- Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2)

I'm so glad I'm among people who understand that it's the person, and not the camera, that creates good photos. I get kind of offended when I hear someone say, "Those photos are beautiful! You must have a really nice camera." It's like saying to someone, "You're a wonderful writer! You must have a really expensive pen."

(grumble grumble grumble)

Between that and the Chicago Sun-Times letting go their entire photo staff all at once, I'm convinced that people genuinely think that the magic lies in the machinery. It's disheartening, to say the least.

I know that the eye behind the camera is the best equipment, but you can only do so much with a iPhone...

Race: Human / Level: 1 / Current Class: Adventurer / Goal Class: Ranger

STR: 2.5 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3.5 / CON: 3.5 / WIS: 4 / CHA: 4.5

My Background / Facebook / GoodReads / Flickr / Fitbit

~ Take Care, Live Life, and Pray Hard ~

"Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing, that nobody in the universe can do what we're doing."

- Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2)

Bought a like new T1i with an extra battery yesterday! (for 250$), can't wait to get my XSi modified for infrared! :D

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

So, anyone taken some interesting pictures lately?

In my six-week challenge I'm walking 10,000 steps a day, and had someone ask me to post pictures from my walk... so they aren't necessarily being taken under the best conditions or with careful planning, but I'm putting selections from the pictures all in a NF album. Would love to see what you all have been getting lately!

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Went to a zoo this weekend, here's my favorite shot! :D (only lightroomed a bit, facebook quality)

7248_10151395657105895_629246236_n.jpg

I took about 600 photos, my girlfriend took about 2000 :|

BUT BUT BUT, look at my gf's new camera, I'm jelly.! ( 5DMIII w/ 17-40 F/4 lens)

6bn2.jpg

Oh man, StephaneLandry... that is gorgeous! I love the colors in everything from the monkey (or whatever it is, don't know those species well...), rocks and branches! I should make a trip to the zoo soon, it's been a couple years since I went, and that just for a quick perusal...

New camera = gorgeous! Your girlfriend must be so excited to play with that!

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

Oh man, StephaneLandry... that is gorgeous! I love the colors in everything from the monkey (or whatever it is, don't know those species well...), rocks and branches! I should make a trip to the zoo soon, it's been a couple years since I went, and that just for a quick perusal...

New camera = gorgeous! Your girlfriend must be so excited to play with that!

Yeah! :D Best is that lens is aspherical (fisheye-y a bit), so using that instead of my 8mm manual focus is absolutely epic. :D

Edit: Thank you very much! It's been a while since I've been happy with a photoshoot!

LIGHTROOM 5?????? didn't know it was out.

I'm still on 4.1, QQ

Can't wait to see some shots :)

LIGHTROOM 5?????? didn't know it was out.

I'm still on 4.1, QQ

Can't wait to see some shots :)

:) Yeah I had been using lightroom 3 but then i needed to upgrade because ver3 does not handle the new nikon D7100 raw files. Plus the content aware fill is a nice feature to remove unwanted stuff :) 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

If any of you have access to lynda.com through your college or workplace, OH MY GOODNESS. I've learned Adobe InDesign and Illustrator because of the tutorials up on there. Clear and easy to follow. Awesome. I'm sure it has a few photography ones.

Thanks for the tip, traipsing! Out of curiosity, does anyone else have a must see recommendation for learning to use various programs? Lynda looks great - although I don't have access, so I'd want to wait until I have a set of free days to do the free trial and check it out! - and was curious if anyone else has a site that they always use? 

I always just Google whatever it is I want to learn, so for learning to use various photo editing and design programs, I have never really found (or tried to find!) a good reference site to learn from!

Yeah! :D Best is that lens is aspherical (fisheye-y a bit), so using that instead of my 8mm manual focus is absolutely epic. :D

I've never played with a fish-eye before! I can't see myself using it a whole lot - I love photo-realism too much - but I've seen really cool fish-eye pictures and think it would be a lot of fun to play with a couple times!

Heh, I too went to the zoo this past weekend! What a coincidence. I just got Lightroom 5 installed on my new laptop so I need to spend some time touching up my files. Then I shall post some here. 

Ooo, I'm using Lightroom 4.4 - you'll have to tell us what new and delightful fun things you can do! You know, point out what fun things you did in Lightroom 5 to your zoo pictures when you post a couple of those on here. ;)

oh, and Tateman... super cute picture of your son!

Might just have to torre,....errr, downl, ....errrrrrrr, buy it tonight :)

The Nikon D7100 is about equivalent to the Canon 7D I'm assuming? (Since I don't know Nikon's names)

Might just have to torre,....errr, downl, ....errrrrrrr, buy it tonight :)

The Nikon D7100 is about equivalent to the Canon 7D I'm assuming? (Since I don't know Nikon's names)

D7100 is equilvalent to a D300(s) so yeah roughly the same as the 7D. The D300(s) is slightly better at high ISO (due to the fact Nikon went with a higher pixel density sensor on the D7100) and has a faster burst shot (7 shots to 5) but since I don't shoot sports it doesn't bother me. 

Uploaded some more photos (finally) of the SSS meetup back in May. Thought y'all might enjoy seeing other nerds doing fitness-y things. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21613197@N07/sets/72157634575106986/

I still want to be part of a NF meetup :( so jelly.