Photography nerds!

Nice photos, everyone! Keep them coming! I like looking at the different subjects and photography styles. As far as I'm concerned, the best camera is the one you have with you at the time. Having expensive equipment can help in certain specialized situations, but I always remind people that the photographer is ultimately the one who takes the photo, not the camera. I'm often limited because I can't carry around that big lens with me all the time (the lens itself weighs 8.5 lbs.). And using something simpler can often promote more creativity.

But I have to admit, I enjoy the looks I get when I pull out the "big gun", especially when I'm handholding it rather than using a tripod. :D

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

Nikon D70 for me. I'm going to cheat because I don't have the picture on this computer and link to the twitter upload. I took this Easter morning on Galveston Island. Haven't tried shooting raw, so this is just on the "action" setting.

https://twitter.com/#!/jawildman/status/189176699383054336/photo/1

Muskingum River in Ohio.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109343327957230043885/albums/5420125492407641185

A very cold (-15F) night in January in Ohio

https://plus.google.com/photos/109343327957230043885/albums/5297102034228012225

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Evny! I would love to shoot with a a full frame, especially for night photos and concerts. But I can't justify the cost :(

It's possible that I underexaggerated. As it happens, I think I love my camera more than all of my other possessions combined. True story.

My current setup is a Nikon D60 that usually carries a Nikon 18-55mm. My baby is a Sigma 70-300mm (105-450 equivalent). I also have a F100 and a Nikon 50mm prime that I got for class, but without regular darkroom access and cheap film, I barely use it any more.

My gear doesn't merit a second glance, but I've gotten to be quite happy with it. I can take great pictures with it, and it's gone halfway around the world and back with me. I'd love a full-frame camera and a whole bevy of lenses, but I figure when I can fund it by selling photos, I'll have earned them.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Hi! I'm here. Total geek. I prefer film and use either a FED2 (1960's Russian replica of a Leica camera) or a Nikon F80 which does some nice pics. I'm mainly experimenting with cross-processing slide film at the moment - which mucks around with colours a lot!

These are from the F80

7054785087_1b2d261b51_m.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2611[/ATTACH]

and this is from the FED2 - it's got a light leak on it and it's really irritating me now. I am going to tape it up everywhere soon

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2609[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2610[/ATTACH]

Plus I use my fiancee's Holga sometimes (but he's better with it)

I also use a Nikon D200 for digital stuff and am seriously considering upgrading to the D300S for video but I am not sure if there will be a new, better model out soon. Decisions decisions. I use lightroom for everything and don't really do much at all to any pics - white balance, straightening up horizons (I think I am wonky!) and colours sometimes.

This is from the D200.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2612[/ATTACH]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/funkabubble/

post-3944-13567243559804_thumb.jpg

post-3944-13567243559918_thumb.jpg

post-3944-13567243560017_thumb.jpg

post-3944-13567243560119_thumb.jpg

But I have to admit, I enjoy the looks I get when I pull out the "big gun", especially when I'm handholding it rather than using a tripod. :D

I can only imagine the muscles required to heft that around with out a tripod let alone hold it steady at full zoom.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I can only imagine the muscles required to heft that around with out a tripod let alone hold it steady at full zoom.

It's a fixed focal length lens (500mm). The camera and lens together weigh about 12 pounds. I took a workshop a few years back on hand holding large telephoto lenses for photographing birds in flight. It's a lot more flexible to shoot that way than on a tripod, even if you have a gimbal head. The trick is to not hold it very long. You lock in quick on the bird, fire off some shots, and then put it down. Here's an example (snail kite):

original.jpg

Maybe someday I'll be able to justify a 1D Mk IV and an 800mm f/5.6. :D

--

Liz

Hi! I'm here. Total geek. I prefer film and use either a FED2 (1960's Russian replica of a Leica camera) or a Nikon F80 which does some nice pics. I'm mainly experimenting with cross-processing slide film at the moment - which mucks around with colours a lot!

I remember the days of film cameras. I like the look of the film shots, but I love the instant gratification of digital. ;)

Keep the photos coming, everybody! I'm enjoying looking at everyone's galleries.

--

Liz

It's a fixed focal length lens (500mm). The camera and lens together weigh about 12 pounds. I took a workshop a few years back on hand holding large telephoto lenses for photographing birds in flight. It's a lot more flexible to shoot that way than on a tripod, even if you have a gimbal head. The trick is to not hold it very long. You lock in quick on the bird, fire off some shots, and then put it down. Here's an example (snail kite):

original.jpg

Maybe someday I'll be able to justify a 1D Mk IV and an 800mm f/5.6. :D

Comp, colors, lighting... I love everything about this one. (And that's saying a lot, because I have a weird fear of birds. :) )

I really only shoot with primes, too, although I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't make room for a 70-200 f/2.8 in my bag. Right now my longest focal length is my 85mm f/1.4, so I don't do a lot of wildlife photography as a general rule. Hard to want to get close enough to a bear to make it worthwhile with the 85....

Comp, colors, lighting... I love everything about this one. (And that's saying a lot, because I have a weird fear of birds. :) )

I really only shoot with primes, too, although I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't make room for a 70-200 f/2.8 in my bag. Right now my longest focal length is my 85mm f/1.4, so I don't do a lot of wildlife photography as a general rule. Hard to want to get close enough to a bear to make it worthwhile with the 85....

Thanks - I took that photo before 8:00 in the morning, so there was really nice light, and it's such a beautiful bird. I shot with primes only for a long time. Eventually I found that a zoom really complements my prime (I'm down to just 2 lenses now since I basically just photograph birds these days.) But yes, I think getting close to a bear at 85mm would be tough, even at the zoo! The 70-200/2.8 is a great lens, but it depends on what you want to shoot. If you have any desire to do wildlife photography, the 100-400 zoom is perfect for that. Not as fast as lens as the 70-200/2.8, but 200mm is really too short for wildlife.

--

Liz

Yeah, it was a pretty big one... but it's okay, I was on the deck to the house. Door is like 10 feet away... and I don't care if bears can sprint at 30mph, it was still a couple hundred yards away, it couldn't catch me ;) And it seemed highly content to be chewing on grasses...

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

I used to have all sorts of expensive Canon Gear (too many L lenses, if such a thing is possible) as well as a pretty respectable set of strobes. But I sold all that stuff. Now I have one camera that I use for the most part and two that I will keep but use very infrequently. My focus was on studio portraits and fashion stuff before, but now I just kind of take shots of whatever suits my fancy.

1) Daily use

- Olympus PEN E-PL1 that I got on sale for CAD$300 with kit lens.

- Oly 14-45mm kit lens (slow)

- Oly 45-150 tele lens (slow)

- Oly 45mm f/1.8 (better)

- Oly FL-300R flash (for off camera work)

- Oly VF-3 EVF

The whole kit weighs next to nothing and takes up very little space, so I'm actually inclined to carry some or all of it with me. Honestly, this is probably my favorite kit of all the ones I've owned - and I've owned a lot...

2) Others

- 50's era Ricohflex TLR (120)

- Pentax K1000 w. 50mm f/1.8 (35mm)

These are for artsy time and don't see much action. They look pretty neat on the shelf though.

Basically, give me anything with a fast prime that can capture light and I'm good to go!

Nice work all around! I wish I had more time to post to read/go through this thread, unfortunately I'm pressed for time so in lieu here's some of my work: http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/category/photography/

And here's some of my older (very compressed) rock climbing shots:

230576-largest_17687.jpg

230751-largest_17639.jpg

240016-largest_14780.jpg

229221-largest_18069.jpg

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge