What all this is

When I signed up for this website I was out of shape. I still am, probably, but I don't care anymore. I also considered myself a nerd of something, which was most likely wrong or misleading.

What changed is the Hurricane. I am stuck in Southeast Texas, surrounded by an island of water. No one can get in or out to see me. There is no running water and most the people I know have lost their homes, cars, and everything they owned in this physical world.

In the hierarchy of needs, I no longer care about being a "nerd" or "self improvement" or any kind of physical fitness program. All of that is bullshit for the most part. A delusion to suck your attention and money away from things that really matter in life. What really matters? The people next to you. Not these strangers on the interwebs, the people physically next to you. The people you live with or near, the people you work with. Those are your kinfolk. Those are what life is all about. Since this started I have invited neighbors in my shitty one bedroom apartment for shelter. I have comforted (or tried to) co-workers near the brink of tears. I have lived in a place that really exists, beyond a pixelated screen.

I have limited access to the internet right now, but as soon as a can I'm cancelling Rising Heroes and every other garbage self-help thing I ever signed up with. Those four people in my "team?" They didn't give a shit about any of this. How could they? They were strangers.

Get off your ass. Get away from your screens. Embrace reality, because when the shit really hits the fan, real people will be there. Strangers on the internet wont matter one bit.

First and foremost, I hope you're doing okay.  I was in Houston when the hurricane hit, and even though the area I was in was hit probably the lightest, it still wasn't a cakewalk (up in Cypress, only a bit of flooding in the neighborhood I was in, though a fair amount of tornado warnings on Tuesday).  I was visiting my girlfriend, and got stuck there for an extra week.  We were stupid lucky in how things turned out for her neighborhood.

Secondly, yes, strangers on the internet really don't matter.  What Nerd Fitness tries to build is a virtual community, and like a physical community it requires putting yourself out there and being part of said community for relationships to occur.  So at some point, we stop being strangers on the internet and evolve into friends.  I don't know how long you've been part of RH, but I'd guess not terribly long.  But while you say they didn't give a shit, I had a very different experience from the NF community.  I had more people from here contact me than most of those supposed "kinfolk" you list.  No one could do much beyond give well wishes, but they certainly cared and wanted to make sure I and my loved ones were okay (and what to do if I was not okay).

Yes, Harvey was a dick, and it forced people to see each other as humans and give help where they could.  It's fantastic you helped out the ways you did.

Basically, great, go out and live as you see fit.  Does NF/The Academy/RH work for everyone?  Not a chance in hell.  But there is no need to be shitting on a community as worthless, when there are a slew of examples out here that show the complete opposite of what you are talking about.

Signed,

A guy who has most of his friends through NF, both physically and digitally

PS - Met the girlfriend here.

• Like 5

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Priorities often shift throughout life, especially in the wake of a catastrophic event (whether natural disaster, health, finances, or perceived difficulty). 

To be honest, I'd be concerned if, in the wake of Harvey, that you'd still have a focus on gyms/self-help/dieting with the disaster you're surviving through. It says a lot about you as a human being that you have been able to welcome friends/neighbors/strangers into your home during their time of need. That is the purpose of community (as you stated). Whether or not nerdfitness continues to matter for you as you and your community recover doesn't really matter in the long run. You're finding connection and community around you. 

By definition, friend (n)-a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if that person lives next to me, a state away, or across the world. Some of my best friendships have been "digital" in nature. They were still friends and when we no longer communicated, I grieved the lost relationship. Some of my "digital" friends helped me through depression and substance abuse. We build community wherever we can, regardless if it is in the physical world or digital (both are real, at least to me). 

For what its worth, I pray that you find what you need today, I pray that you are able to get back to your life as quickly and painlessly as possible (however you see fit with whatever changes you feel need to be made). 

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

I'm sure glad you're safe and applaud you for your assistance to others in their time of need. I think I also can see where you're coming from with your points.  I would however like to comment on the below statement.

All of that is bullshit for the most part. A delusion to suck your attention and money away from things that really matter in life

I can respect and appreciate your view but I think you might consider appending a "to me" at the end. Your points are valid but not for us all....

I was amazingly obese (Well over 300). High blood pressure, terrible diabetes, and high cholesterol. I was on a path to die very soon. Add to it clinical depression, terrible terrible diet, general anxiety disorder and social anxiety, and you have a recipe for my end. I found the Nerdfitness Academy and got motivated. Made some virtual friends, lost over 100 pounds, got rid of diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I became a lifter and runner, a;ll from the diet and exercise teachings found within. I met my fiance at a running group.

I'm now healthy, very much alive still and filled with joy. I'm in love, engaged, social, athletic and able to do things I've never been able to. All because of Nerdfitness. I feel they saved my life. It may not work for you but for some of us, it's been truly amazing. We are all different people with different needs and desires and no one solution is right for anyone however, just because it isn't right for you, doesn't mean that it's not for others as well.

I hope you regain access in and out of your neighborhood soon and have the opportnoity to begin recovering from this terrible tragedy. I'm sorry you must go through it :(

• Like 3

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/