Fitting in workouts in a busy schedule

Hello all!

so I have school on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1p to 7:45p and work 4 days a week, basically every day I'm not in class I'm working. I work from 3a to 11:30a or from 5a to 1:30p depending on the shift.  The YMCA in my area is offering a climbing class on Monday from 4 to 5p, pilates from 5:30 to 6:30 and the one I'm most excited about is kickboxing on fridays from 4:15 to 5:15p. I'm not sure about the Pilates class but I might as well try it out, if not I can lift weights, which is what I'm thinking about doing either before or after each class. Though that might be too much I'm not sure. I also bike everywhere since it's better for you and I can't afford a car, from my house the community college is about 2 miles and work is about 4 miles. The YMCA is in the next town over but my brother works out there already so we would carpool.

Anyway what do you guys think? Love any feedback! Thank you for reading!

I'd add one thing at a time per month and see how it goes. Training while busy is more about taking out the fluff and figuring out your best training investment.

It's like going to a buffet: Everyone has a limited stomach capacity. The newbies want to try everything all at once, and end up having to pay the leftover fee or throwing-up. The regulars know exactly what they want and how much of it. Scope out the buffet; don't feel the need to "get your money's worth" on your first visit. Plan on going there regularly for the next year.

1 hour ago, Machete said:

It's like going to a buffet: Everyone has a limited stomach capacity. The newbies want to try everything all at once, and end up having to pay the leftover fee or throwing-up. The regulars know exactly what they want and how much of it.

FALSE.

The true buffet ninjas game the system by choosing the most expensive items and stuffing their face with as much as possible. In this way, they show their dominance. This is why all-you-can-eat sushi is always a good idea.

However, @Fightthefire, in this exercise analogy, @Machete is 100% right. Don't try to do five things at once. I'm sure instinctively you know that loading yourself down with 40 credits worth of college classes for the next quarter would lead you down the path of insanity and despair. Don't do the same thing with exercise.

Kickboxing sounds like a great way to start (go with the thing that excites you most first), and you can add more in a month or two if you feel like it.

• Like 2

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

On 9/2/2017 at 6:46 PM, PaulG said:

FALSE.

The true buffet ninjas game the system by choosing the most expensive items and stuffing their face with as much as possible. In this way, they show their dominance. This is why all-you-can-eat sushi is always a good idea.

Funny thing, I used to think like this, until I single-handedly drove up the price of nigiri in Fairbanks, AK a few years back. (True story.) I like to think long-term; there is a tipping point, and I obviously crossed it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, Machete said:

Funny thing, I used to think like this, until I single-handedly drove up the price of nigiri in Fairbanks, AK a few years back. (True story.) I like to think long-term; there is a tipping point, and I obviously crossed it.

Okay so I agree but more importantly just how exactly did you drive up the price of Nigiri in a whole town? How did you what did you please explain I need to know!

14 hours ago, Fightthefire said:

Okay so I agree but more importantly just how exactly did you drive up the price of Nigiri in a whole town? How did you what did you please explain I need to know!

Haha. An exaggeration, but in the same exact way PaulG described it--consistently. I found the one sushi bar (not a Chinese buffet serving California Rolls) that dared to offer all-you-can-eat once a week. I ordered no fancy rolls, as those had a lot of fluff and heavy stuff, just the basic nigiri--tasty and light. Those are usually sold in twos for around $5. I believe the most expensive was the white tuna, which I believe is Albacore, which has high levels of mercury, so I eased-up on those. Salmon, on the other hand, apparently has some of the lowest mercury content, and salmon from Alaska is outstanding. So copious amounts of sake nigiri it was. (I'd always walk in with a quota of at least 20, which isn't bad per se, that's like 1300 calories and 70g or protein.) It only took a few weeks for them to wise-up to my shenanigans, and they sharpied an increased price for [only] nigiri--25% inflation.

Key takeaway is don't overdo it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Machete said:

Haha. An exaggeration, but in the same exact way PaulG described it--consistently. I found the one sushi bar (not a Chinese buffet serving California Rolls) that dared to offer all-you-can-eat once a week. I ordered no fancy rolls, as those had a lot of fluff and heavy stuff, just the basic nigiri--tasty and light. Those are usually sold in twos for around $5. I believe the most expensive was the white tuna, which I believe is Albacore, which has high levels of mercury, so I eased-up on those. Salmon, on the other hand, apparently has some of the lowest mercury content, and salmon from Alaska is outstanding. So copious amounts of sake nigiri it was. (I'd always walk in with a quota of at least 20, which isn't bad per se, that's like 1300 calories and 70g or protein.) It only took a few weeks for them to wise-up to my shenanigans, and they sharpied an increased price for [only] nigiri--25% inflation.

Key takeaway is don't overdo it.

This is the best story ive heard on here oh my god

• Like 2

I had almost forgot about Machete's gem of a story. Looking back over it I can only say -- you were a lucky bastard nigiri was so cheap. In Seattle it's more like $10 for two. I still splurge and order the unagi, but I shed an inner tear each time I do.

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

11 hours ago, PaulG said:

I had almost forgot about Machete's gem of a story. Looking back over it I can only say -- you were a lucky bastard nigiri was so cheap. In Seattle it's more like $10 for two. I still splurge and order the unagi, but I shed an inner tear each time I do.

Figures, Seattle. Quite a city though.

Unagi almost got me fined one time when I abused it there. It has a really strong taste and texture that tends to fatigue my palette quite quickly and I almost didn't finish the order. Ika got me with the texture. Some things seem to be better in smaller amounts, spaced-out. Like high-skill, high-intensity exercises.

29 minutes ago, Machete said:

Figures, Seattle. Quite a city though.

Unagi almost got me fined one time when I abused it there. It has a really strong taste and texture that tends to fatigue my palette quite quickly and I almost didn't finish the order. Ika got me with the texture. Some things seem to be better in smaller amounts, spaced-out. Like high-skill, high-intensity exercises.

Ha when I go over across the water to Seattle I'm always at a sticker shock! Everything is so expensive in cities!