• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Whythawye

Workout Bench ideas and recommendations

Greetings and felicitations,

I am new here, and just skimming the surface for now to get my bearings, but I was just stumped on a Google search and realized I now have a community I can ask directly. :)

I workout in my apartment pretty much exclusively, and I'm trying to set it up for my bodyweight fitness focus. Eventually, I'll get some free weights and such like, but the next piece of equipment I'm considering for acquisition is some sort of workout bench. I don't have a table or anything sturdy enough to do rows under, and I don't have any chairs/stools to do stair steps onto (just a sofa and easy chair, which came with the apartment). I was envisaging something like a bench that was maybe adjustable in height so I can use it for both, and maybe as a bench for doing dumbbell presses and so on as well. Something foldable to put out of the way when not being used would be ideal, of course. Also note, my budget rather resembles a shoe-string. ;)

Any ideas, advice, tips on how to find such a contraption? Thanks in advance!

PaulG   

I find that for most bodyweight exercise needs, a $15 doorway pull-up bar and a set of $20-30 gymnastics rings is all I need. It wouldn't work for DB presses, but I don't have the money to buy a bunch of DBs anyway -- not at roughly $1 per lb.

Rings, OTOH, will allow you to do harder push-up and dip variations once regular push-ups are too easy.

Yes, gymnastic rings would solve the issue with rows, and would also be handy for other exercises as well, as you said. Wouldn't help with doing step-ups and so on, though. I suppose I need to get a stool anyway, though, lol. Thanks!

PaulG   
20 hours ago, Whythawye said:

Yes, gymnastic rings would solve the issue with rows, and would also be handy for other exercises as well, as you said. Wouldn't help with doing step-ups and so on, though. I suppose I need to get a stool anyway, though, lol. Thanks!

Yeah, I usually do step-ups on a chair. They do require added weight, unfortunately, which is why I eventually found a gym.

If you decide you need a bench, and you have room for a dedicated piece of equipment, I would go super-shoestring-budget and DIY it. All you really need is a flat surface and a couple of 4x4s for legs cut to a little under knee height. A few good screws and you're done.

Good point, DIY is typically a good way to go, especially with something that simple. I don't think I have room for a piece of furniture I can't put away, though. I'll do some shopping around for stools or chairs that might fit the bill. I'll definitely look into the gymnastic rings, though.