Sarah's consistency

I've got a few changes I want to make. Maybe this will help! I don't have a problem with lack of exercise. I race in cross country endurance mountain biking in a national level. I train lots and lots of hours every week. But, since last April I haven't done any strength training. I used to be pretty strong. I want to get that back! I never train my lower body, because it's always a wreck. But upper body and core need work. 

The other thing is that I want to eat better. My eating has gone to hell. The other day after a training ride I stopped and got a bag of chips and a whoopie pie. That was my dinner. Not good! I've only put on about 3 pounds, but I don't want that to continue. Extra weight in my sport is a hinderance for sure. 

Yesterday I ate a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, so that's a start. Today I did some strength work. 10 push ups and 25 crunches. That is so pitiful. I used to be able to do 185 push ups!! Ugh. I was a personal trainer for 12 years so I know what to do. It's just a matter of doing it!

So, Monday and Tuesday I didn't do any strength work because I did 3.5 hour mountain bike training rides each day. But today I did! A pitiful 15 push-ups, 30 crunches and 2 sets bent over dumbbell rows. I wasn't sure how the db rows would work out bec I got a serious back injury this past summer. But I used light weight and they felt fine!

eating the past three days has been pretty good. A little less junk and a little more good stuff. That's all I'm aiming for. 

Since I can post here again (I was getting an error everytime I tried for quite a while) I want to work on my log daily. 

My race season ended 2.5 weeks ago. I'm getting a training program from my coach any day now.  

I have a lot of trouble in the Fall with having no motivation to do anything and just wanting to eat all the food. I know a lot of people love fall, but I really hate it (on the other hand, I LOVE spring!). I have a tendency to slack off and gain some weight. When it gets close to race season I then have to lose that extra weight to be at my happy race weight. I have a seriously hard time doing that while training for a massive amount of hours. So, this year I AM NOT GOING TO LET THAT HAPPEN. 

I'm currently 2-3 pounds over my race weight. That's not a huge deal, it can slowly come off. I'm going to track my calories (i usually do anyway) and my activity, and periodically check my weight to see if I'm on the right track. 

Today I ate 2400 calories. Right on the mark!

My bike is on the shop, so I did 75 minutes cardio and upper body strength training. If anyone reads my log and thinks I do too much cardio...the mountain bike races I do are ultra endurance and are as long as 24 hours. So definitely not! My rides are usually 3-5 hours. I'm seriously bad about strength training. I hate it! But i need to do it. 

Here's me at my last race of the season!

IMG_1785.JPG

• Like 1

So, yesterday was 90 min spin bike in aerobic zone followed by upper body weights. I ate a little more, about 2,650. I stayed up later than normal and started getting hungry!!

Today was 75 min cardio and core. My calories are a little low right now, so I’m going to have some snacks to get myself up to 2400.

i got my new 8 week program from my couch today. Yay!!!! So excited to start. 

^^ get back out there for sure!!

Yesterday was an hour 40 min easy spinner workout and 2400 calories. Today had to be a day off because there was absolutely no time when I could have trained. I had to work hard to only eat 2400 calories. All I want to do on days off is eat!!!

Time trial scheduled for tomorrow. I'll have to use my husband's bike since mine is in the shop still. I don't like that.

• Like 1

I got super fantastic news yesterday!!!! I got a sponsorship from bikeman.com for 2018!! I'm so excited!! Now I REALLY cant slack off at all.

Tuesday: 2 hour ride which inclided a 30 min time trial to determine my heart rate zones for my new program. The time trial was brutal!

Wednesday: 1 hr 40 min spin bike ride with 20 min one legged drills to work on pedal stroke efficiency

Thursday: 60 min easy spin bike and upper body weight training

Each day I've hit just about 2400 calories

My bike is back from the shop but I won't be riding today because the weather is nasty.

Ok.

Friday: 1 hr 40 min spin bike ride with a few high cadence intervals. Ended up with 2500-2600 calories because I ate a little too much halloween candy.

Saturday: 3 hour bike trainer ride. I desperately wanted to be outside but we were having near record cold. Blah. 2400 calories.

Sunday: day off. 2400 calories.

In a couple days I'll check my weight to see how this activity level and calorie range are working.

Things had been going well. I finished the weekend great!

Saturday: 1 hour easy spin and core workout, 2400 calories

Sunday: 25 hour ride focus on big gears (hard!!), 2200 calories. I rode in the rain but it was really warm

Monday: 2 hr 20 min ride on spin bike with anaerobic threshold intervals, 2400 calories

Today was supposed to be my 5 hour ride and it's beautiful out. Guess who woke up sick? Why couldn't it have waited unil my recovery week next week? Why ruin my peak week?  Hate hate hate hate 

• Like 1

Well, I'm finally getting better. I was in bed with fevers for a few days. It wasn't the flu, but the doc couldn't figure out what it was. I lost a whole week of training, so I;m going to ask my coach if I can go back and do last week this week. I haven't been able to eat very much. I really want to get my normal appetite back!!

Back to work and training tomorrow.

Monday: 1 hour 40 min easy on spin bike. Short upper body workout. My coach recommended starting easy since I was so sick. 2200 calories

Tuesday: 2 hour 20 min on bike trainer with anaerobic threshold intervals. 2200 calories

Wednesday: 4 hr 45 min ride outside. 2200 calories

Thursday: 1 hour easy spin bike, core workout. 2600 calories. 

My appetite came back today!! I have not been able to eat enough because I've been feeling like I was on the verge of throwing up most every minute. After 9 days of that, my appetite is back. I'm not gagging on my food! I have missed eating well and enjoying my food. I lost 3 pounds in a week. :concern:

• Like 1

Friday: 2.5 hour ride with hill repeats, 2500 calories

Saturday: 2 hour easy spin bike, 2400 calories

Sunday: Nothing. 2200 calories

I'm still having nausea, but not as much. I'm not doing very good with my food choices, but that's a struggle because I'm eating what I feel I can keep down. Today my tummy feels good. I hope that will continue.

• Like 1

This week was a recovery week.

Monday: 1:40 with some high cadence intervals on spin bike,  upper body workout

Tuesday: 1:40 easy spin, core workout

Wed: 2 hr 20 min ride with long hill repeats, mostly dirt roads

Thursday: 1 hr easy spin, upper body workout

Friday: 1 hr 40 min easy spin

Saturday: 2 hr spin bike with anaerobic intervals, core workout

Sunday: nothing

Calories were a bit low Mon-Wed, then thurs and fri my tummy felt 100% and I ATE!! Now I think I'm back to normal.

Also good news! I got hired as a freelance writer for singletracks.com! My mountain biking career is really coming along.

• Like 1

Oh, to wrap up my week.

Monday: 2 hr 20 min ride with anaerobic intervals

Tuesday: 4.5 hour ride easy

Wednesday: 1 hr 40 min ride easy and upper body workout

Thursday: Nothing. Took my son to New Hampshire to see Impractical Jokers live. Probably ate too much.

Friday: Couldnt do planned ride because I hardly slept the night before and felt horrible. 

Saturday: 1 hr 40 min ride easy, upper body workout

Sunday (planned) 2 hr 40 min ride with intervals and core workout

Every day except Thursday was around 2400 calories. My weight is hovering right around my race weight, so that's good!

• Like 1

Yes, some are long, and it's going to be a long winter!

Week before Christmas was kind of a disaster. This week has been better.

Monday: 2 hr 40 min spin bike with anaerobic intervals, 2400 calories

Tuesday: 5 hour trainer ride with hard finish, 3000 calories

Wednesday: 1 hr 40 min spin bike, upper body workout, 2400 calories

Thursday: 1 hour spin bike, core workout, 2400 calories

Friday: 1 hour 40 min spin bike, upper body workout, 3000 calories (oops)

Saturday: 2 hour spin bike, core workout, 2400 calories

Next week is a recovery week!

• Like 1