This is difficult to write, but here it goes.

I have around 300lbs to lose. I am fortunate to have no secondary health concerns to speak of (yet) apart from sleep apnea, but it's just a matter of time before my luck gives out and something else serious creeps in. At 39 I'm a ticking time bomb.

I am working with a bariatric doctor, a nutritionist, and a therapist who specializes in eating disorders to try to attack this from as many angles as possible. The one thing I lack is any real support. I've tried to find groups here locally without any luck, and I'm hoping participating in a community like this could serve much of that same purpose.

In the past I've lost significant weight for stretches, as much as 200lbs, but whether it's my lack of a support system, my depression, or something else, eventually most of it comes back. I am determined to do something different in hopes of not just existing, but of actually living some kind of real life.

There's a chance that weight loss surgery may be part of what I'm doing, but I recognize that it's not a panacea, so I'm not going to sit around and wait for it to magically fix things. Even if surgery is in the cards I want to continue to work on my eating behaviors to change my relationship with food to make any potential surgery safer, and ultimately more successful.

I recognize I'm a very extreme case, but I am fortunate to be very mobile despite my size. Underneath all this is the body of an athlete. I still work full time, move around well, and as the weight starts to come off I should be able to do a lot in a short period of time.

I'm going to start by reading, looking around, and figuring out what the best and most productive way for me to participate around here will be. I just felt I needed to get this post out of the way before I chickened out, because I really don't want to write this, and if I don't write it now, I probably never will.

Thank you for listening, and good luck to everyone!

• Like 1

Hi Vali, welcome!

I totally understand the lack of local support and depression. Those two things are pretty good at throwing me off course. 

I think one of the best ways to find support (and be productive) around here is participating in the four week challenges. The next one is starting soon if you're interested. 

Good luck with your journey!

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!