Ye Olde Ranger Moe's Tavern: General Chatter

I have a question for you Rangers.  Has the Nerdfitness blog been retired? New posts have slowed to a stop. If there is anyone more in-the-know than me, is this just a temporary hiatus? 

• Like 2

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

15 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I have a question for you Rangers.  Has the Nerdfitness blog been retired? New posts have slowed to a stop. If there is anyone more in-the-know than me, is this just a temporary hiatus? 

I get the email updates like Tank does, and I noticed that they've slowed down. Perhaps he is scouring the interwebs for more Lego Stormtrooper photos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The book came out two years ago

Listen, guys, when you're an accomplished time traveler like I am, two years is a mere trifle

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Perhaps he is scouring the interwebs for more Lego Stormtrooper photos.

Perhaps one of his Quests was to learn photography so he could craft his own. He's begun by making cameras from scratch. It'll take a while, but he'll return. 

• Like 6
10 hours ago, Super Starling! said:

Listen, guys, when you're an accomplished time traveler like I am, two years is a mere trifle

giphy.gif

Perhaps one of his Quests was to learn photography so he could craft his own. He's begun by making cameras from scratch. It'll take a while, but he'll return. 

Always good to have another Time Lord in the Ranger Corps.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

tenor.gif

Week 2 has been slain. How have y'all rocked your challenges? Shout out your battles and how you persevered.

What have you not quite figured out? Where can we help?

I'll start out with:

I went to fitness class one additional time this past week Tuesday. And I really struggled with inertia when it was time to go my last class for this week, but I did go, even though after the additional exercise I really didn't feel like going to Thursday's class. Went anyway. Took some good stuff away from it. Didn't earn any glory, but I went and sweat was produced. So it was good enough.

I am not quite sure how to structure a proposal for a fitness class... or more precisely I don't quite know how to design a class from scratch and build something from nothing. So that's something that'll keep me busy for the rest of the challenge and possibly even into the next one.

What are you up to?

---

"Travel lightly, for what you bring with you becomes part of your landscape." -Anne Bishop

• Like 5

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

This week I've kept up with all my workouts, despite being busy.

I seem to be in a groove fitness wise, with workouts and food pretty much under control. I struggle with the extra things. Trying to make time for creative projects like my scrapbooking, or my  current goal of learning math. 

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I've had a bad week -- my boss unexpectedly died. We don't know why yet. He was a bit overweight, but seemed to be in pretty good shape. He exercised a fair amount and could lift up extremely heavy things. Our guess is that it was probably a heart attack. 

The day after, I ate a cookie the size of my face, but even as I was doing it, I thought: 

"This isn't helping. This isn't going to bring him back. This isn't going to make me feel good about myself in the long run. This is not a solution." 

I've been eating some junk food, here and there, for the past few days, but nothing like that cookie. (IT. WAS. DELICIOUS. THOUGH.) I'm doing my best to make good choices. But I'm also allowing myself some leeway with mistakes. I don't want to fall into some sort of "I'm in mourning so I deserve this" trap -- but I also know that there might be moments some things (like nice naps and bubble baths and cuddle time with the dog) might be more important for my mental health than every session of the running/lifting schedule I'd plotted out. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I've had a bad week -- my boss unexpectedly died. We don't know why yet.
[...]
-- but I also know that there might be moments some things (like nice naps and bubble baths and cuddle time with the dog) might be more important for my mental health than every session of the running/lifting schedule I'd plotted out. 

Well, that's a whole 'nother level of bad week. I am so sorry for your loss.

While I definitely see how you need to get the human-to-human or animal-to-human interaction in, and keep a caring eye on how you feel, I do feel like reminding you that workouts produce endorphins.

I'm not in mourning, so I will not pretend to know what you need and what is good for you, because only you can know that, and if it's dog-cuddles and woolen blankets all day every day, that is your choice and valid. But I have s.a.d, when it gets dark in the year I have to take extra-extra care of my emotional-mental health. And while the impulse to skip classes is always there, I have found that I can't allow it, just because I feel shitty. I need the endorphins too much.

Grief is a weird thing. Take care of you as best you can, and if some part of you decides what you're doing is not good enough, tell it to shut up and remind yourself: "You are doing the best you can with what you got. That is enough."

Again: I am so very sorry for your loss.
7de0083b0a5771e4f2ca2f3eb04983a9.gif

---

"Travel lightly, for what you bring with you becomes part of your landscape." -Anne Bishop

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Sending hugs @Super Starling! 

giphy.gif

As of this Sunday I am half way through my Whole30! I also got 3 workouts in this week and stayed relatively positive through tricky work situations.

• Like 5

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

7 hours ago, Katrin the Morag said:

While I definitely see how you need to get the human-to-human or animal-to-human interaction in, and keep a caring eye on how you feel, I do feel like reminding you that workouts produce endorphins.

You're 100% right. I was mostly considering the getting-sweaty-during-workout angle instead of the feeling-good-afterward angle. 

giphy.gif

I'll play it by ear. I don't want to force myself to go to the gym at a weepy moment and then sob all over the equipment. (I know Planet Fitness is a "No Judgement Zone," but I don't want to become a spectacle because I broke into hysterics while doing ropes. I am a true all-or-nothing crier.) 

giphy.gif

BUT IN OTHER NEWS I hit all of my goals this week. That whole "make your changes very tiny and gradual" thing is smart. Because sometimes life just throws things at you and you're like "I honestly cannot do anything extra right now." 

• Like 5

Rangers, week 2 is over. Some have experienced loss and death, some have struggled, some have succeeded, and some have had a mixture.  Week 3 is prepared to attack us and try to win where every other week has failed. Week 2 tried to get us to fall victim to a mistaken notion that we are fractured. Week 3 is similar, it's going to try and emphasize the lies we believe about ourselves. Lies like: I'm not worth it, I'm not good enough, or, I'll never learn how to do this. The way to defeat those lies is not to deny them, but rather to affirm the opposite truth. You can't keep air out of a glass by sucking the air out, more air will rush back in (let's pretend we don't have access to a lab with vacuum seals). You have to pour water in to keep the air out. From time to time you have to top the water off due to evaporation. So it is with those lies. We don't say, "I'm not not worth it" we tell ourselves, "I am worth it." We do those things even if we don't believe them at first because we have to say them out loud in order to believe them. That's why the task for week 3 of the Ranger Mini is an affirmative meditation. Is there something you want to change about yourself? One tool for making that happen is to declare it, and make it part of your identity. Repeat it over and over again, say it to yourself, write it down regularly, then MAKE IT HAPPEN.

You are Rangers! You are strong, you are fast, you are wise, you are healthy and you make healthy decisions. You were created good, and you can choose to be a force for good in this world by first being good to yourself. Rangers gonna Ranger, so go forth and Ranger week 3!

• Like 10

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

18 hours ago, Super Starling! said:

I've had a bad week -- my boss unexpectedly died. We don't know why yet. He was a bit overweight, but seemed to be in pretty good shape. He exercised a fair amount and could lift up extremely heavy things. Our guess is that it was probably a heart attack. 

The day after, I ate a cookie the size of my face, but even as I was doing it, I thought: 

"This isn't helping. This isn't going to bring him back. This isn't going to make me feel good about myself in the long run. This is not a solution." 

I've been eating some junk food, here and there, for the past few days, but nothing like that cookie. (IT. WAS. DELICIOUS. THOUGH.) I'm doing my best to make good choices. But I'm also allowing myself some leeway with mistakes. I don't want to fall into some sort of "I'm in mourning so I deserve this" trap -- but I also know that there might be moments some things (like nice naps and bubble baths and cuddle time with the dog) might be more important for my mental health than every session of the running/lifting schedule I'd plotted out. 

Sorry about your loss. I have a very vivid memory of after my mom died, and I was eating a cookie, and the same thought occurred to me. That was a changing point in my life. There  are still some times in my life when I  forget and go to food for comfort, but it seemed to have less power. I  just had this knowing that food was only a temporary fix and . It sounds like you have a very good list of things that actually will help you to feel better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Listened to this podcast today. Really good stuff on the importance of setting small (really small ) goals

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/09/21/podcast-kaizen-self-improvement/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Listened to this podcast today. Really good stuff on the importance of setting small (really small ) goals

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2017/09/21/podcast-kaizen-self-improvement/

I read this book!  Worth the read, though I think the major points are all covered in the podcast.

A brief summary:

Spoiler

All change, positive and negative, creates fear.  It is a natural and healthy reaction by your midbrain (the "flight-or-flight" emotional part of your brain).  Unfortunately fear shuts down your cortex (the rational/creative part of your brain).

Option 1: make drastic changes - need to fight or resolve the fear, can be difficult or time-consuming, high failure rate

Option 2: "tip-toe past the fear" by making tiny changes.  Really tiny, like exercising for one minute, or throwing out the first french fry then eating the rest.  This approach encourages creativity, often leads to permanent change. 

How to practise Kaizen:

1. Ask small questions. "What is one small thing I could do to..."  Encourages creativity and playfulness.

2. Think small thoughts. "Spend one minute a day just imagining what it would feel like to succeed at..."  Prevents fear from kicking in.

3. Take small actions. "Go to bed one minute earlier..."  Gets your brain and habits working towards your goals without fear kicking in.

4.  Solve small problems.  Often tiny unsolved problems predate a crisis.

5.  Bestow small rewards.  You want to give recognition that keeps focus on the goal, not the reward.

6. Identify small moments. It is small moments that make up the final outcome.

The points are all well explained and the author shows how to apply them in an organisation or in your personal life.

• Like 6

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

1 hour ago, Elennare said:

That sounds pretty cool.  Unfortunately, after having a bunch of Lean stuff shoved down my throat at work, I think I'm allergic to the word "kaizen." :)

Hahaha, right? That was the first thing I thought about when I saw the link. 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

4480829873dd44f0eaa479f0d26ca89b.jpg

It's getting darker, we all feel it (on the northern hemisphere, we are aware of the summer heading towards our brothers and sisters in the south). I am on a journaling and doodling binge getting back into all kinds of things... who of you wonderful people would like to get together and draw and paint and craft and MAKE some things to light the darker growing nights?

Just an idea... I have a desire to light the dark. With lanterns and compassion, it's the season.

---

• Like 6

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Hi, I'm having a problem with sugar binges the past week or so. I'm not sure why, there isn't any undue stress going on and I'm in a pretty good place emotionally. Can someone offer a little help? I haven't been successful breaking out of it on my own.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

14 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Hi, I'm having a problem with sugar binges the past week or so. I'm not sure why, there isn't any undue stress going on and I'm in a pretty good place emotionally. Can someone offer a little help? I haven't been successful breaking out of it on my own.

Hmmmmm....

Have you had any food/macro shifts lately? If I change my carb percentages my sugar cravings change.

If you find yourself craving sugar, getting yourself distracted by something else can get rid of it. It's got to be something visually and mentally engaging like a video game or puzzle or getting absorbed in a project or something.
You could also be dehydrated - yay seasonal changes.

https://bodyecology.com/articles/10-secrets-for-ending-sugar-cravings.php

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I've been struggling with it a bit too. I'm upping my fat a bit and seeing if that helps. Also, I'm reading a book,The Salt Fix....(more words I can't remember)and it says that if you are low on salt , that can cause sugar cravings. One thing he suggests is adding about 1/4 tsp per liter of water you drink around the time you exercise to help your body with lost salt.

And' I am also doing a short term mini boss challenge, and  awarding money to my book fund for each day I stay away from sweets,

• Like 2

23 hours ago, animuse said:

Hmmmmm....

Have you had any food/macro shifts lately? If I change my carb percentages my sugar cravings change.

If you find yourself craving sugar, getting yourself distracted by something else can get rid of it. It's got to be something visually and mentally engaging like a video game or puzzle or getting absorbed in a project or something.
You could also be dehydrated - yay seasonal changes.

https://bodyecology.com/articles/10-secrets-for-ending-sugar-cravings.php

Thanks, I wasn't considering that. Even the seasonal changes; it has turned dark and cold over the past few weeks.

20 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I've been struggling with it a bit too. I'm upping my fat a bit and seeing if that helps. Also, I'm reading a book,The Salt Fix....(more words I can't remember)and it says that if you are low on salt , that can cause sugar cravings. One thing he suggests is adding about 1/4 tsp per liter of water you drink around the time you exercise to help your body with lost salt.

And' I am also doing a short term mini boss challenge, and  awarding money to my book fund for each day I stay away from sweets,

I've ordered that book from my library, it will be interesting to read it.

I don't think motivation is the problem, so fixing whatever is off (salt, fat, calories) should help. Thank you!!

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman