• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rednwhite

Am I squatting too much?

I've been doing a routine with a lot of volume for about two months, and around three weeks into the routine I started getting a lot of tightness in my calves, to the point where squatting was painful. I stretched a lot, foam rolled, took a deload week and the tightness subsided somewhat. After my deload I jumped back in, was fine for a couple of days and then one of my hips started acting up. Again, I stretched and foam rolled but all I seem to be doing is moving the knot around to different parts of my hips. It's become so painful when squatting that my workouts are getting cut short.

For an idea, I squat three times a week with a day's rest in between each session.

Day 1 - 5x5 at 72%

Day 2 - 4x4 paused squats at 60%

Day 3 - 4x3 at 82%

I also deadlift on days 2 and 3 (but 3 is very light).

This isn't too much, is it? I don't know what else I can do to get rid of the tightness. I don't track my food but I'm gaining weight slowly, and I get 7-8 hours of sleep most nights. I do unfortunately work a desk job which means I'm sitting down a lot, but I can't really change that. Any thoughts about what could be causing it or how to fix it? 

Doesn't look like too much volume to me, but everyone's different. Are you making sure to adequately warm up before starting? It might also behoove you to post a form check to make sure you're not doing anything weird.

I agree with warming up - walking lunges, air squats, etc, are good before squats.

Are your heels lifting off the ground at all through the squat movement? I could see that potentially straining them.  I have had shoes in the past that did not agree with my calfs/Achilles either, particularly high tops.

We all love our squats, but you could also consider cutting down to 2 days a week on back squats, and substituting in other leg exercises and/or squat variations, just to avoid the repetitive wear. It might help lessen the pain.