• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sgeek70

I can't push up.. why

sgeek70   

It's been my long term problem, I found myself can't do proper push up.

I remember when I was in high school sport class 7 years ago, the teacher ask us to do lots of workout, include 10 reps of push ups.

I don't have any problem in any other workout, but I can't push up. I just can't let my hands supporting my weight when I go down. My hands can't bend well and just trembles and can't let my body touch the ground. I always stopped at half before I can touch the ground. My teacher didn't give me advice or suggestions and just ask me to do plank in 30sec while others are 10.

Seriously I don't know where I did wrong. Of course I did something wrong, but I don't know what is it.

Do you know what mistake I likely did?

Thank you for your time!

-Sgeek70

References that I need to read and understand carefully 

How to Do A Proper Push Up

5 Common Push-Up Mistakes to Avoid

• Like 1

Hazard   

You don't have to start on the floor.  Start with inclined pushups, by doing pushups with your hands on a counter, table, chair, etc.

Gerie_working_out-2.jpg

As you conquer the current incline level, move to a lower one.

7c4b4cf8-729f-4192-931f-67fcef1a8768.gif

And then lower again when you conquer that height.

3-Low-Incline-Pushup-2-300x177.png

And so on.  Eventually, as you get progressively stronger, you'll work your way down to doing them on the floor.

pushup-girl.jpg?itok=IAp9uUAL

• Like 2

PaulG   

Agreed with @Hazard. You haven't made any mistakes at all. It's just a lack of strength, and that you've never been trained to work your way up to a push-up. Your sport teacher probably had no idea how to train you for it -- and that is their fault, it should be basic knowledge for anyone giving children physical education, though it's rare to find a gym teacher who agrees.

As Hazard said, just keep working yourself down to lower push-ups, and practice and train consistently. Lots of people who are missing the strength can nail it within a few weeks, if they train consistently a couple times a week.

• Like 1

sgeek70   
20 hours ago, Hazard said:

You don't have to start on the floor.  Start with inclined pushups, by doing pushups with your hands on a counter, table, chair, etc.

As you conquer the current incline level, move to a lower one.

And then lower again when you conquer that height.

And so on.  Eventually, as you get progressively stronger, you'll work your way down to doing them on the floor.

This is really smart, I never thought about not starting from the floor.. thank you very much @Hazard!! Going to try it.

@PaulG Thank you! I was thinking I am I having a physical problem before, since everybody (it is really everybody) can do it and I can't, while I'm quite confident in doing the other workout thing. But lacking of strength sounds more reasonable. I'm going to track my progress after this.

• Like 3

Hazard   
18 minutes ago, Blethan said:

My problem exactly! 

Thanks for this thread and the advice. I think I will bring this into my body weight workouts!

You're welcome. :)

sgeek70   
On 9/20/2017 at 3:05 AM, Blethan said:

My problem exactly! 

Thanks for this thread and the advice. I think I will bring this into my body weight workouts!

You're not alone! Good luck :D 

I start from 10 rep wall push up for each circuit until my 5th workout, then I move to using desk. Slow but steady, hope can reach the floor someday.