3 reps, but a woot nontheless

I am really proud of myself, though not sure if it's a big thing. After being stuck not doing any significant exercising for about 4 days in a row, I managed to find a way to do a weighted squat without having a weight set at home (couldn't find anything heavy enough). And apparently I can do 3 sets of 3 reps with two 5 kilo kettlebell - like weight replacements (huge water bottles filled with, well, water) and being assisted by a large wooden spoon. (only thing sturdy enough in the house). For a weakling like me, it's really rewarding to see how far I've gotten. ^_^

• Like 4

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

On 9/7/2017 at 9:52 AM, Echocheanic said:

I am really proud of myself, though not sure if it's a big thing. After being stuck not doing any significant exercising for about 4 days in a row, I managed to find a way to do a weighted squat without having a weight set at home (couldn't find anything heavy enough). And apparently I can do 3 sets of 3 reps with two 5 kilo kettlebell - like weight replacements (huge water bottles filled with, well, water) and being assisted by a large wooden spoon. (only thing sturdy enough in the house). For a weakling like me, it's really rewarding to see how far I've gotten. ^_^

That's awesome! Progress is progress! 

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

3 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

That's awesome! Progress is progress! 

I had never both panted like I was running a marathon and wooted at the same time.

3 hours ago, Roamer said:

Hey a step is a step. Keep at it! Try and budget and get yourself a decent weigh set if you can. If that's not applicable just keep improvising. Things have a way of 'working out' when you try to 'work them out'.

I might have to get at least one pair of weights (they sell them on a per weight basis in the only store I've seen here) after I can't use these bottles anymore. But that is a long way away I feel, so I have time. 

• Like 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

6 minutes ago, Echocheanic said:

I might have to get at least one pair of weights (they sell them on a per weight basis in the only store I've seen here) after I can't use these bottles anymore. But that is a long way away I feel, so I have time. 

I like that you are being creative and problem solving rather than giving up!

You can also do sandbag goblet squats. But instead of an actual sandbag, use any bag you have and fill it with heavy items like smaller bags of rice, or soup cans, ziplock bags of flour, etc. 

Not sure where you are (city vs suburban) but you can also fill ziplock bags with regular dirt from a yard too. 

a1324da130913e5dd6f5e9eee15a54c0.jpg 

Pic of people doing sandbag squats:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS750US750&biw=1526&bih=746&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=goblet+squat+sand+bag&oq=goblet+squat+sand+bag&gs_l=psy-ab.3...6061.7011.0.7187.8.8.0.0.0.0.123.719.6j2.8.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.96...0j0i8i30k1.TwyIDpPRU9s#imgrc=3IWLVz-zzwOmYM: 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

19 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

You can also do sandbag goblet squats. But instead of an actual sandbag, use any bag you have and fill it with heavy items like smaller bags of rice, or soup cans, ziplock bags of flour, etc. 

This is something I considered but every time i fill a bag it turns out to be too light (apparently don't have enough cans or flour or rice at home :D ). I live in a small city but a city so it's bit rough. Plus tiny apartment. If I filled the water bottles with dirt or sand their plastic would warp too, I tried. So yeah. But giving up is not in the plan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

(obnoxious gifs are a warrior trademark, sorry not sorry ;) ) 

You don't need to be in any case :D that made me laugh.

• Haha 1

I know the bodyweight circuit (laughingly called "beginners," I say laughingly cause it kicks my ass when I started-now I've added weights) Steve used a gallon jug of water I believe (haven't watched the vid since september). When I started that circuit I used a 8-10 lb container of cat litter. I thought about adding water to the litter (then sealing the lid), but ended up getting the bowflex dial weights as a birthday present (they were cheaper at the time).

Gotta start somewhere! 

On 9/7/2017 at 8:52 AM, Echocheanic said:

not sure if it's a big thing

tenor.gif

It IS a big deal. Bravo!:applouse:

image.png

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

8 minutes ago, farflight said:

I know the bodyweight circuit (laughingly called "beginners," I say laughingly cause it kicks my ass when I started-now I've added weights) Steve used a gallon jug of water I believe (haven't watched the vid since september).

Yeah I am aware, that is where I got the idea, but we don't have gallon jugs here - that's about 3.7 kilos. I had to find something that was heavy enough after the bodyweight stopped kicking my ass as much (I'll still get winded but bored winded ya know). 

And thanks :D It felt nice to make progress I can measure. 

• Like 1

A ridiculous solution possibly, but I load 1 or 2 bags of cat-litter (7kg or approx 15lbs) into an army surplus store backpack and that is my weight ruck sack that I use for pullups, squats or long walks. Cost me next to nothing and I always walk with a stupid smile knowing that I am carrying cat sand around. 

• Like 1

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

On 17/09/2017 at 4:21 AM, godjira1 said:

A ridiculous solution possibly, but I load 1 or 2 bags of cat-litter (7kg or approx 15lbs) into an army surplus store backpack and that is my weight ruck sack that I use for pullups, squats or long walks. Cost me next to nothing and I always walk with a stupid smile knowing that I am carrying cat sand around. 

I actually have no idea where to find cat-litter here. No friend that has a cat uses it. :D But that does sound like fun. I am planning on using a few encyclopedias for the exercises I can't do with these water bottles.

18 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

The pet food aisle at any large-ish grocery store should carry it.

They don't. They only have cat food. :D I guess I have a weird grocery store.

3 hours ago, Echocheanic said:

They don't. They only have cat food.

Well, drat. I've got nothing then. :( 

But if you're just looking for heavy things, maybe pick up a few bricks or cinderblocks at a hardware store? Or bags of gravel or sand from a home-improvement store or plant nursery?

• Like 1

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin