• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hazard

START HERE: The NF Beginner Guidebook

Hazard   

Welcome, aspiring heroes of the Rebellion!

If this is your 1st NF Challenge, then you've come to the right place! 

I'm the Professor Oak who gives you your first Pokemon.

I'm the Old Man of Hyrule who gives you your first sword.

I'm the Hagrid that guides you through Diagon Alley.

I'm Luke Skywalker, and I'm here to rescue you!

Wait, Luke was the hero. 

Maybe I'm Obi-Wan?

Whatever.  I'm the helpful dude you meet near the beginning. You get the point.:)

My NF nickname is Hazard.

I was a Guild Leader for the Assassins for years,

Now I'm the Guild Leader for the Level 1s. 

That's you.

And this ... is your Call to Adventure!

maxresdefault.jpg

This Level 1 subforum is your Starter Zone.  As in pretty much every role-playing game ever made, no matter how much or how little playing experience we have, we all begin a new game in the same place.  The starter zone.  This is the tutorial level.  Don't worry too much about making grand fitness progress in the next few weeks. In the beginning we do make progress, but in the starting zone we're mostly learning/practicing how to play the game.

Please take the time to read the 8 steps in the Challenge Instructions.

You really should follow that link and read the full version, but here's a summary if you're in a rush:

1. Pick a Main Quest.  What do you want to accomplish?
  2. Pick 2 - 3 SMART goals (smaller quests) that move you forward toward completing your Main Quest.  These 2-3 smaller quests are what you'll be working on over the next few weeks for this NF Challenge period.
  3. Create your Challenge thread in this Level 1 subforum.  In your challenge thread:  Introduce yourself.  Tell us a little about who you are, how you found Nerd Fitness, what ultimately led to you joining in, and tell us some of your hobbies, favorite tv shows, movies, games, etc; doing so is a great way to connect with people here who share similar interests. Then tell us what your Main Quest is, and tell us what your 2-3 challenge goals are.  And, over the weeks of this NF Challenge period, post updates on your thread letting us know how you're progressing on your goals.

Within the first few days or so after you've made it, you'll find me making a visit to your Challenge thread.  I'll take a good look at the challenge you've put together, and then post in your thread giving you feedback.  You'll find me making suggestions and asking questions about your quests.   My questions and suggestions are for helping you clarify your quest goals.  The more clear and well-defined your Main Quest and 2-3 smaller challenge quests are, the more likely you'll be to succeed with them.

About the Guild System

The Guild System was created many moons ago on NF.   Guilds are intended to bring together people who have similiar-ish Challenge Goals.  After you've completed your Level 1 challenge, it's our intention that you leave this starter zone and make your way into the wider NF world, by picking one of the guilds to do your next challenge in. 

No matter what guild you choose for your next challenge, don't worry about your choice too much.  You aren't locked into a single guild.  In fact, when the guilds were created, it was intended that people would do each challenge in whichever guild made the most sense with regard to that person's current challenge goals. 

For example, if you're trying to learn to become better at deadlifting, you might do a challenge in the Warrior guild.  But as that challenge nears its end you decide you've got the basics of deadlifting down and now you want to learn to do pullups, so the next challenge you do with the Assassin guild to learn to pullup better.  Then, realizing you'd like to try parkour but need better running stamina, the next challenge you do with the Scouts to learn to how to run longer.  Then you realize running alone in a park can be dangerous, so you do the next few challenges with the Monks to learn some basic self-defense techniques. Get the picture?

Before each Challenge begins, make sure you have a clear Main Quest, and then pick your 2-3 smaller goals/quests that will help you move forward toward completing it.  Then think through which Guild would be best for helping you complete those 2-3 smaller quests -- whichever of those quests you think you'll need the most help with.  That's probably the guild you should choose to do that Challenge in

Here is a list of the current Guilds, with a brief description of each:

Level 1 / First Time Challengers:

• That's here.  Where you're reading right now.  If you've never done an NF Challenge before, this is where you should be.  After you've completed your Level 1 Challenge, you'll move on to play in the guilds below.

Adventurers:

• The Adventurer guild is for people whose quests are achieved by exploring our big beautiful world: often through pursuits such as touring, hiking, climbing mountains, sailing, sea diving, etc.

Assassins:

• The Assassin guild is for people whose quests involve bodyweight strength training, skills, agility, and flexibility: often through pursuits such as gymnastics, calisthenics, parkour, circus arts, dance, Ninja Warrior style obstacle courses, etc.

Warriors:

• The Warrior guild is for people whose quests involve strength training via lifting stuff, pushing stuff, pulling stuff, throwing stuff, carrying stuff: often through pursuits such as powerlifting, strongman, weightlifting, etc.

Scouts:

• The Scout guild is for people whose quests involve endurance training; often through pursuits such as distance walking, jogging, running, cycling, etc.

Rangers:

• The Ranger guild is a hybrid guild that was created for people whose quests involved roughly equal interest in weighted strength training (warriors) and endurance activities (scouts): often through pursuits such as rucking, Crossfit Games, Tough Mudders, Spartan Races, etc.

Monks:

• The Monk guild is for people whose quests involve combat/martial training: often through pursuits such as boxing, wrestling, Kung Fu, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Jujitsu, firearms, etc.

Druids:

• The Druid guild is for people whose quests involve contemplative/meditative training: often through pursuits such as focused/guided meditation, Yoga, Tai Chi, etc.

Rebels:

• The Rebel guild is for people whose quests don't seem to fit anywhere else.  If you look through the other guilds and find yourself thinking, "None of these specialized guilds seem quite right for the 2-3 quests I'll be pursuing in the upcoming challenge," then you should do your challenge in the Rebel guild.

"Take Me To Your Leaders"

Guild Leaders oversee/run the various guilds.  We create content for our guilds, we put together the pinned/stickied threads, we choose/recommend new Guild Leaders to join our team, we choose/recommend new guild ambassadors, and we're here to help you - in general - with anything you need help with.  You may find us making posts in your challenge threads giving you support, encouragement, or advice from time to time.  And, if you have questions, or concerns, please don't hesitate to bring them to your guild leader(s). 

GLs are also moderators for the forums.  We have the power to delete, move, or edit threads, posts, signatures, profiles, etc, and to ban users if necessary.  If you ever have any questions or issues, again please don't hesitate to bring them to your guild leader(s). 

Also be aware that you should be seeing a "report post" option at the top-right of every post.  If you see something you don't think should be on the forums, please bring it to our attention by reporting it.

You will also most likely see Guild Ambassadors around.  Guild Ambassadors are representatives of the guild that they are 'ambassadoring' for.  Guild Leaders can't be online 24 hours a day checking in on everyone.  So we have Guild Ambassadors to act as helpers.   You may find GAs popping into your challenge threads here in the Level 1 guild, also offering you support, encouragement, and advice.   You may find your challenge thread being visited particularly by ambassadors from guilds whose fitness specialties seem to coincide with your current challenge goals.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions and gets you started.   If you still need help getting started, or with anything, there are many ways to get my attention. 

• You can post your question in the pinned/sticky thread: Guild Leader A.M.A. with Hazard (Ask Me Anything)
  • You can stop by my personal Battle Log (the link to it is in my forum signature) and talk to me there.  I'm always happy to get visitors on my Battle Log and make new friends.
  • You can also send me a private message via the forum's PM system:  Click on my forum avatar at the top left of this post to go to my profile, then click the Send Message button that likes to hang out on my profile banner. 
  • You can also type @Hazard in any post, wait for the popup list of usernames, and choose mine from the list.  See in that last sentence how there's a blue background shadowing my username?  That means it worked.  Using the @Name forum function with my username sends me a notification that somebody mentioned me in a post.   I can click on the notification to go straight to the post you "called" me to.  Neat, huh? :D

That's it for now.  I look forward to 'meeting' you.  Again, welcome to Nerd Fitness!

End Note: Several expansions of this guide are already in the works.  I'lll be updating and/or adding to the guide periodically.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1