• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Talanoth

Judokas - good throws for small nage/big uke?

Talanoth   

So, a very dear friend of mine has (tentatively) asked me to be one of her ukes for the demo she's required to choreograph and perform in for her black belt test. Only issue is that she's 4'6" (though a former gymnast and bodybuilder) and I'm 6'4". The requirements are fairly flexible, so I was wondering what some good judo throws are for a small nage/big uke combination, particularly for people who don't do a ton of judo (it's one of the "styles of influence" of our style, but I'm only just getting to the part of our curriculum where throws are introduced).

Thanks!

godjira1   

Seoi-nages, hiza guruma, ko-uchi gari, and tomonagae. Should all be executable and nice amplitude (except for the ko-uchi) if the ukes pay attention heh heh. I would avoid the hip throws and suplex-type moves like ura nage/ te guruma at that height/size differential. 

Just my 2cents. 

• Like 2

Talanoth   
4 hours ago, godjira1 said:

Seoi-nages, hiza guruma, ko-uchi gari, and tomonagae. Should all be executable and nice amplitude (except for the ko-uchi) if the ukes pay attention heh heh. I would avoid the hip throws and suplex-type moves like ura nage/ te guruma at that height/size differential.

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

Teirin   
15 hours ago, godjira1 said:

Just my 2cents. 

These are good.  With a much larger partner : foot sweeps and be fast.  I would add  sasae tsuri komi ashi and ko soto gari for options.  As this is for a choreographed piece, yoko wakare or yoko guruma would look great though they are less commonly taught.  I had less of a size difference than you two do (5'5" with 6'3") but they were both fine.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Talanoth   
58 minutes ago, Teirin said:

These are good.  With a much larger partner : foot sweeps and be fast.  I would add  sasae tsuri komi ashi and ko soto gari for options.  As this is for a choreographed piece, yoko wakare or yoko guruma would look great though they are less commonly taught.  I had less of a size difference than you two do (5'5" with 6'3") but they were both fine.  Good luck!

This is great, thank you!

Our specific requirement is:

Two Judo throws from each of four categories: hip, hands, leg, and sacrifice, and,

two pins: Judo or Aikido.

I'm hearing a lot of leg, maybe some sacrifice, probably not hip? What about hands?

• Like 1

Teirin   
16 minutes ago, Talanoth said:

This is great, thank you!

Our specific requirement is:

Two Judo throws from each of four categories: hip, hands, leg, and sacrifice, and,

I'm hearing a lot of leg, maybe some sacrifice, probably not hip? What about hands?

aaahhh, that's some additional context.  Some of these suggestions do get farther away from the basics.

hand:  Tai Otoshi, always.  The seoi nages are in here too.  Kibisu gaeshi if willing to experiment.  That would possibly be great for you two.

Hip:  sode tsuri komi goshi might work.  Koshi guruma should be fine?  Harai goshi maybe, but that belt height difference....

sacrifice:  the ones mentioned above, uki waza, yoko gake.  Maybe sumi gaeshi. 

Pinning techniques:  kesa gatame is the best. Kata gatame.  Maybe ushiro kesa gatame for something a bit different? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Talanoth said:

There really aren't that many aikido pins.  Ikkyo is definitely the most straight forward, since it's an arm bar on the ground.  The nikkyo I rather like, but if it's not known now isn't the time to try and learn it.  It makes no sense until magically one day it does (I was trying to teach someone it last night).

Talanoth   
2 hours ago, Teirin said:

Two ukes will give her a lot more flexibility in showing techniques.  Good luck to you both!

For those who are curious, here's our demo from last year where we were both ukes for the same black belt candidate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h8-4HxOEVg&index=2&list=FLArQ5caRoezussXlDF5aXiQ

The requirements have changed (to be more flexible) but this should give you an idea of what's expected (and also a sense of height/build difference). Thankfully, I've lost about 50 lbs since this video was taken. :D