• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Hazard

Questions for Guild Leader Hazard - (Ask Me Anything)

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Vonayen said:

Hi  Hazard 

 

So I just posted my very first 4-week Challenge on what is it called... I thread?? Now when i go to add updates etc. Do I then "reply" to my own thread? Is that how it works?  I have not used these forms before....could be fun...

 

 

Hello Vonayen, welcome to NF!

 

Yes, when you want to give us updates on how you’re doing for this challenge, you post those updates by replying to your own challenge thread/topic.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there Hazard,

 

I am completely new to the forums and have a few questions.

 

1. My wish is to use these forums as a journal for myself; writing down both small and large goals, maybe using it to journal my daily/weekly achievements. I totally see how I can use the topic I start on the challenge to track my short-term acievements. But is there a good place to track my longterm goals? I have been looking at my account settings, my profile etc. but there doesn't seem to be a page for telling my story. Where would you recommend I write this and track my progress through the months and years?

 

2. Some people seems to be able to add signatures with links to earlier challenges etc. How do I do that?

 

Thx in advance

 

EmilM

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EmilM said:

Hi there Hazard,

 

Hello EmilM!

 

5 hours ago, EmilM said:

I am completely new to the forums and have a few questions.

 

1. My wish is to use these forums as a journal for myself; writing down both small and large goals, maybe using it to journal my daily/weekly achievements. I totally see how I can use the topic I start on the challenge to track my short-term acievements. But is there a good place to track my longterm goals? I have been looking at my account settings, my profile etc. but there doesn't seem to be a page for telling my story. Where would you recommend I write this and track my progress through the months and years?

 

For that, I'd recommend creating a thread in the Daily Battle Logs subforum.

 

5 hours ago, EmilM said:

2. Some people seems to be able to add signatures with links to earlier challenges etc. How do I do that?

 

On the Account Settings page, look for the Signature menu option.  Choose it, and a textbox should appear into which you can type the signature.  The textbox menu includes a button with a 'chainlink' symbol for adding url links to selected text.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hazard

 

Hi Hazard! In the middle of my first 4 week, I'm looking forward to seeing what this forums holds for me in the future. A couple of questions, as you are the newbie GM :)

 

How do I get a guild symbol under my avatar in forum posts?

 

also, is there any subforums related specifically to bodybuilding/physique competition, training, and lifestyle? I can't see any obvious ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lil’Rali said:

I'm late the challenge (2 days), can I still join or should I wait for the next one?

 

 

Start today. :) 

 

Whether it's the first official day of this Challenge period, or its 2nd week, or its 4th week, or even the very last official day of this Challenge period:  Please don't hesitate to begin.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chaosbane said:

Hi Hazard! In the middle of my first 4 week, I'm looking forward to seeing what this forums holds for me in the future. A couple of questions, as you are the newbie GM :)

 

How do I get a guild symbol under my avatar in forum posts?

 

 

Hi Chaosbane!

 

Go to your Profile page.  Choose the button "Edit Profile" that appears inside the banner area.   (On your current banner, the button should be sitting near the chicken-walker's/AT-ST's head.)  A popup should appear in which you can set your birthday, your "Class", and your location.  Choose the "Class" dropdown menu to set the Guild Badge that you want to appear underneath your avatar.  When you're done editing your choices, use the save button.

 

 

5 hours ago, Chaosbane said:

also, is there any subforums related specifically to bodybuilding/physique competition, training, and lifestyle? I can't see any obvious ones.

 

 

No.   But if you're interested in seeing a subforum on NF devoted to that, then hop over to the Powerlifting and Weightlifting subforum.  Create a thread on the topic of bodybuilding/physique training.  If the thread gets a lot of participation and activity, then it would demonstrate people on NF are interested in the topic and might justify the creation of a new subforum devoted to the topic.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hazard said:

Hi Chaosbane!

 

Thats great thank you!

I'll wait until I have been here a bit longer, then try to start spark up some conversation around BB and physique training and see how it goes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Hazard,

I want to set myself an 8 week challenge combining upping my exercise regime and daily step count, and making some dietary changes by limiting treats to a strict number per week and making my usual vegan diet lower carb. Between now and October I have my green kickboxing grading, a (10th wedding anniversary) holiday to Sri Lanka and the Maldives where I'd like to be fit enough to try some new water sports, and a Tai Chi Softball competition (my first) where I'd like to feel confident enough to get up in front of all those people. 

I've set up a plan in my own way (below), I do love a checklist, but I'd like to tap into the support available here in the NF community rather than just do it myself, especially as I'm easily led astray by peer pressure and/or FOMO! How can I best fit my plan into the NF challenge structure though? I think I have planned mine in a way that doesn't conform to the guidelines?

Thank you!

Ayla

 

Spoiler

ThePlan.thumb.png.4dc876080053c2d8a5f695673eef9450.png

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2018 at 6:39 AM, ~Ayla~ said:

I want to set myself an 8 week challenge .............

 

.............How can I best fit my plan into the NF challenge structure though?

 

 

Hi Ayla!  Welcome.

 

 

I see two Main Quests that you've defined.

  1. "be fit enough to try some new water sports"
  2. "feel confident enough to get up in front of all those people"

 

And 4 supporting quests that you hope will lead to completing those main quests:

  1. "upping my exercise regime"
  2. "and (upping my) daily step count"
  3. "limiting treats to a strict number per week"
  4. "making my usual vegan diet lower carb"

 

Fill in the details for those four supporting quests -

  • For the first quest, what's your exercise regime look like now?  What are some ways that you can "up" it over the next 8 weeks? 
  • For the second quest, it looks on your checklist graphic that you already have a plan for increasing your steps by 500 (each week?). 
  • For your third quest, what's the strict number of treats that you'll be allowing yourself?  Will you be trying to hold to a specific number of treats for the entire 8 weeks, or will you be decreasing the number of treats you're allowed each week? 
  • For the fourth quest, what amount of carbs does your usual diet have now?  Will you lower those carbs by changing what you're eating?  Will you lower those carbs by keeping the same foods but eating smaller portions of them?  Are you going to change your diet all at once and hold to it the new lower carb version all 8 weeks, or will you be slowly decreasing your carb intake each week?

 

These are some questions you can ask yourself that may help you make your four supporting quests more Specific, Measurable, etc. (S.M.A.R.T. goals).  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @Hazard! I just joined like literally last week and so far I am loving what I see here. I was steered here in this general direction by a super helpful NF-er called Guzzi. I was wondering where we post our first newbie challenge? I probably missed it while I was going through the Level 1 / First Time Challenger section. I am a bit nervous but I figured since the next one is starting up on Monday March 18th, I'm going to give it a shot. 

 

I have jotted my goals down on paper. I was wondering where I could go now? 

 

Many thanks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Acupunk said:

Hello @Hazard! I just joined like literally last week and so far I am loving what I see here. I was steered here in this general direction by a super helpful NF-er called Guzzi. I was wondering where we post our first newbie challenge? I probably missed it while I was going through the Level 1 / First Time Challenger section. I am a bit nervous but I figured since the next one is starting up on Monday March 18th, I'm going to give it a shot. 

 

I have jotted my goals down on paper. I was wondering where I could go now? 

 

Many thanks!!!

 

Hi Acupuck, welcome to Nerd Fitness!  You make your first challenge in this Level 1 subforum.

 

If you haven't already, please make sure to read the other pinned topic that's in this subforum, titled the NF Beginner Guidebook.  Here's a link to it again:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool thanks for that! I did find this section but haven’t had the length of time to really give it a good read. Perfect! Let me go through it and I’ll start posting my goals (all tweaked and listed already as of this morning). A bit nervous but I’m up for a challenge! 

 

Many thanks!! :adoration:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Hazard,

 

I'm a day late can I still apply to be part of this 4 week challenge? Got caught up running around town for a pull up bar and dip station yesterday and came home and fell asleep. I respect your decision either way.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OJ___10_22 said:

Hi Hazard,

 

I'm a day late can I still apply to be part of this 4 week challenge?

 

 

 

Yes!  

 

There's no application.   Whenever you're ready to do it, simply post your personal Challenge thread/topic and begin.   It doesn't matter if you're a day late, a week late, or even coming in near the end of this Challenge's dates.  If you're ready to start today, then today is the right day to start!

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Hazard. 

I am a bit confused about the Guild system. I see I can choose any guild (in Edit Profile section) and switch betweeen them on the fly, but is there any rule tying my guild affilliation to challenges system? I mean - is it OK to be Warrior and do challenge in Monk subforum? Or one should change his Guild to Monks for this challenge? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aramis said:

Hey Hazard. 

I am a bit confused about the Guild system. I see I can choose any guild (in Edit Profile section) and switch betweeen them on the fly, but is there any rule tying my guild affilliation to challenges system? I mean - is it OK to be Warrior and do challenge in Monk subforum? Or one should change his Guild to Monks for this challenge? 

 

 

Hi aramis!

 

You may wear any ‘character class badge’ (chosen from the Edit Profile section) beneath your profile picture that you want, at any time.  Both of your examples would be completely okay to do, and people have done it both ways.

 

That being said, I encourage people to pick the badge for the ‘character class’ that they feel best represents them or their current longterm dreams for themself, and continue using that badge when occasionally do an NF challenge in different Guilds.  My personal opinion (not a rule) is that this is a good thing to do.  Using a Warrior class badge while doing an NF challenge in the Monk Guild, for example, can be a good way of letting people quickly see that you think of yourself as a Warrior (someone who primarily likes lifting/pulling/pushing/throwing heavy stuff) but that you’re temporarily participating in the Monk Guild for a time to learn and improve your skills in the martial arts.

 

Either option you mentioned, however, would be okay to do.  Do whichever you feel might be best for yourself.  You may change your character class badge at any time, for any reason that seems good to you.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to ramble at you @Hazard because I am a verbal processor.

 

1) my big why has been a bit squishy /unrealistic

2) I get overwhelmed logging and reporting and posting

2.5) (since the form code doesn't have numbered lists) have set great SMART goals but they add too many activities aka more off more then I Can Chew. 

3) I have had good success transitioning to a diet with more vegetables

4) the past 2 months my work has been doing a wellness challenge: this has been a great motivator for me

5) I am claiming this as a respawn challenging

6) I have had more response and support here over NFA FB page

7) I am more comfortable posting progress updates her vs NFA

8) As an introvert, I would benefit from an accountability buddy

9) I have done more challenges with the Rangers, I like the guild hall thread and mini-challenge- rebels guild don't seem to have those. 

10) my level 60 self is Jack Ryan from Tom Clancy's novels. ( the audiobooks where a reward for a challenge dec something something)

11) I am slowly letting go if 'exercise has to be natural... IE yard work

 

I keep dozing off as I write.. So if there is more it will be added layer. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 1:42 AM, Jack Ryan- Rebel Recruit said:

I am going to ramble at you @Hazard because I am a verbal processor.

 

Hi Jack!  You've got a lot of things on your list, but I'm not seeing any questions in there.  What are you needing help with?  Are there things on your list that you have questions about?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, do we do like a lil mini-blog sort of thing for the challenges and then the updates that we post? I've been looking around and it seems like that is a lot of what it is here, and if it is, it's exactly what I've been looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Marmadukian said:

So, do we do like a lil mini-blog sort of thing for the challenges and then the updates that we post? I've been looking around and it seems like that is a lot of what it is here, and if it is, it's exactly what I've been looking for.

 

 

Hello Marmadukian!

 

Please make sure you've read the NF Beginner Guidebook that I have pinned to the top of this Level 1 subforum, if you haven't already.   I've included my recommendations in it for the minimum stuff people should put in personal Challenge threads.  Beyond that, you're welcome to use your personal Challenge thread in whatever way you feel is most helpful to you!  And that definitely includes using it as a little mini-blog if that's what you want to do.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 6:48 AM, Hazard said:

 

Hi Jack!  You've got a lot of things on your list, but I'm not seeing any questions in there.  What are you needing help with?  Are there things you're on your list that you have questions about?

 

 

 

Do either 1st challenge or Rebels do mini-challenges?

 

Competition has helped be push myself and stick to it.

 

Any specific advice for a respawn?

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jack Ryan- Rebel Recruit said:

Do either 1st challenge or Rebels do mini-challenges?

 

Competition has helped me push myself and stick to it.

 

We don't have guild minichallenges inside the Level 1s subforum.   That's intentional. 

 

All of the main Guilds --- including the Rebels Guild --- usually run a minichallenge during each 5-week NF Challenge cycle.   If a Guild is currently running a minichallenge, the thread(s) for it will be pinned to the top of that guild's forum. 

 

 

11 hours ago, Jack Ryan- Rebel Recruit said:

Any specific advice for a respawn?

 

Yes.  Stop procrastinating. :P.   Using the suggestions in the Guidebook that I pinned to the top of this subforum, make your personal Challenge thread.   If you're not sure what your Main Quest for this 5-week Challenge cycle should be, simply ask yourself, "What's something about my fitness that I want to improve on?"   Whatever your answer is ---> that's your Quest.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm super new and interested in doing this but also super overwhelmed. I was wondering if you could like bullet-point what I'm supposed to do. I'm much better with step-by-step instructions. I did read the rules but my brain decided it was too much and shut down on me. Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now