• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hazard

Questions for Guild Leader Hazard - (Ask Me Anything)

On 8/15/2019 at 12:35 AM, naobilynn said:

Hi, I'm super new and interested in doing this but also super overwhelmed. I was wondering if you could like bullet-point what I'm supposed to do. I'm much better with step-by-step instructions. I did read the rules but my brain decided it was too much and shut down on me. Thanks in advance!

1. Pick something about your fitness that you want to improve.  Improving it is your current Main Quest.
  2. Think up 2 or 3 little things you could do that will help you achieve that main quest.  These 2 or 3 little things are your supporting quests.  These little supporting quests are the things you'll be focusing on doing over the next few weeks of this NF Challenge period.
  3. Create your personal NF Challenge thread inside this Level 1s forum.
  4. On the first post of your personal Challenge thread, introduce yourself, tell us what your current Main Quest is, and tell us what your 2-3 supporting quests for the challenge are.
  5. Over the course of the next few weeks, makes posts in your challenge thread letting us know how you're doing on your quests.

Hi @Hazard!

So, I'm respawning after being trapped in an evil wizard's dungeon of torture. I did my first challenge - wow, 4 years ago almost to the day! - and I never completed my second challenge, although I did continue to train. I got pretty fit and strong until roughly the beginning of 2018 when life got in the way and my workouts slowed to a stop around the summer. I managed to pick back up round about this time last year, but never managed to really get my momentum going again, and since this summer my workouts have been all but non-existent.

I'm struggling to find motivation and the willpower to get back to the gym, and I can't seem to get out of the "I used to be able to ..." mindset. That's why I said I was trapped in an evil wizard's dungeon: basically reliving my finest moments but not actually being able to get past that and start over. But I am determined to respawn, and I thought maybe the challenge would help me stay focused, though I did find it difficult to find time to update and also interact with the community (which I hasten to add are lovely and so encouraging).

So I guess my questions are: If I start back at this upcoming challenge, should I start back in the First Time Challengers? Or should I start back at where I was in the Monks' guild? Or perhaps the Rebels'? I feel a bit lost and directionless right now, and not really sure what I want to focus on first and not overburden myself. Or maybe, if I felt the challenge was difficult to keep track of before, perhaps just posting in the Battle Logs would be better? 

Sorry for all the questions. I'm feeling a bit lost right now. :ambivalence:

• Like 1

Heeeeey Pumpkin Pi, welcome back to Nerd Fitness.

12 hours ago, Pumpkin Pi said:

So I guess my questions are: If I start back at this upcoming challenge, should I start back in the First Time Challengers?  Or should I start back at where I was in the Monks' guild? Or perhaps the Rebels'? I feel a bit lost and directionless right now, and not really sure what I want to focus on first and not overburden myself. Or maybe, if I felt the challenge was difficult to keep track of before, perhaps just posting in the Battle Logs would be better? 

You should start back here in the Level 1 guild and use this challenge as a "tutorial" time to get yourself back into the swing of things. 

21 hours ago, Hazard said:

You should start back here in the Level 1 guild and use this challenge as a "tutorial" time to get yourself back into the swing of things. 

Thanks! I’ll give it a shot. 

Well, you did say ask you anything so...

1. How fluid is guild membership? For my next challenge, I want to focus on lifting weights, but I also want to continue meditating daily. Is bouncing back and forth between guilds (e.g. for this next challenge I'm a warrior and for the subsequent challenge I'm a druid) a legal move?

2. How long have you been on the forums?

3. What do you think is the greatest album of the last 50 years?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, theflyingaccountant said:

Well, you did say ask you anything so...

Yay!   This thread has been waaay too quiet.  :)

1. How fluid is guild membership? For my next challenge, I want to focus on lifting weights, but I also want to continue meditating daily. Is bouncing back and forth between guilds (e.g. for this next challenge I'm a warrior and for the subsequent challenge I'm a druid) a legal move?

Yes, it's a legal move.  In fact, I encourage it!  

I wrote about this in the NF Beginner Guidebook, which is pinned to the top of this Level 1s subforum, and always worth reviewing again.  There's a section in it labeled "About the Guild System" that addresses your question.  Here's one small quote from it:

"Before each Challenge begins, make sure you have a clear current Main Quest, and then pick your 2-3 smaller goals/quests that will help you move forward toward completing it.  Then think through which Guild would be best for helping you complete those 2-3 smaller quests - (whichever of those quests you think you'll need the most help with). That's probably the guild you should choose to do that Challenge in."

2. How long have you been on the forums?

It'll be 6 years this January.

3. What do you think is the greatest album of the last 50 years?

There's only one album from the last 50 years that I've heard where I like every song on the album:

Alanis Morisette, Jagged Little Pill

Alanis_Morissette_-_Jagged_Little_Pill.j

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

11 hours ago, Hazard said:

"Before each Challenge begins, make sure you have a clear current Main Quest, and then pick your 2-3 smaller goals/quests that will help you move forward toward completing it.  Then think through which Guild would be best for helping you complete those 2-3 smaller quests - (whichever of those quests you think you'll need the most help with). That's probably the guild you should choose to do that Challenge in."

There's only one album from the last 50 years that I've heard where I like every song on the album:

Alanis Morisette, Jagged Little Pill

It looks like my habit of skimming a thing instead of reading it in detail has caught up with me yet again. ;)

(Edit: Also, please don't be offended by the fact that I skimmed the guidebook. I think it's very well written. I'm just an incredibly impatient person.)

I've got a couple of albums where I like every song, but only a couple: Van Halen's 1984, Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle, and Erroll Garner's Ready Take One (it's a compilation, but still). I actually haven't listened to Jagged Little Pill all the way through yet, but that changes today once I get set up at work.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 1:46 AM, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Hi, what's the difference between starting a challenge thread here (or in a guild after your first challenge) versus starting a thread in Daily Battle Logs?

Thanks!

Hi Mag.

The Battle Logs are independent of the NF Guild system.   The Battle Logs are a "do it your own way" thing.  A person can set up their Battle Log thread pretty much anyway they want, track what they want, use it how they want, for as long as they want.

Oh, so since I am pretty much going whether an actual challenge is on or not, and still report during breaks and stuff, then I should probably be in Battle Logs?

Example, I want to lose X-amount of weight by May. So I should keep a daily battle log of working toward that goal, and just do a challenge thread for a particular 5 week goal, right?

You can do it either way. The challenges are nice because they tend to have a lot more traffic. The battle logs are nice for long term goals and keeping track of information you’ll want to access in the future. Do whatever fits your mindset better.

(I’m not a guild leader.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Hey, is there a way to edit the HTML in our post? More specifically, anytime I upload a picture it is HUGE and I would like to go into the HTML and reduce the height and width so it more closely approximates a thumbnail. Thanks!

If you are using a PC you can Ctrl+Right Click the picture and it will give you the option to edit image, which has the option to change the size. On Macs it's ctrl+command Click to get the same option menu. On mobile I'm not sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If you are using a PC you can Ctrl+Right Click the picture and it will give you the option to edit image, which has the option to change the size. On Macs it's ctrl+command Click to get the same option menu. On mobile I'm not sure.

Thanks for getting back to me so quick! Sadly, this is what happens when I Ctrl+Right Click on my PC (laptop). :(

image.thumb.png.1bdd8b95dd6db4d15415475bf2e20353.png

1 hour ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Hey, is there a way to edit the HTML in our post?

On the menu just above the box for typing the post, click the "Source" button to switch to html view.

More specifically, anytime I upload a picture it is HUGE and I would like to go into the HTML and reduce the height and width so it more closely approximates a thumbnail.

Double left-click on the image.  That should bring up the image editor box.

I'm so sorry . . . can you please take a screen shot and show me where the "source" button is. I can't find it. And double-clicking the photo just takes me to the image itself in a new window.  Here is what my menu bar looks like:

image.thumb.png.dd477ec71270471216f95a13e7e8a757.png

I'm so sorry . . . can you please take a screen shot and show me where the "source" button is.

It's not showing on your screenshot.  It would be just to the left of the Boldface button.  It may be that "Source" function is only available to moderators.

double-clicking the photo just takes me to the image itself in a new window.

Oh.  Chrome.   Yeah.   Double left-click is on firefox.  On chrome the Control+Right click that Tank mentioned should bring up a small popup menu, and on that popup menu should be the Edit Image option.  Not sure why that's not working for you. 

On your screenshot though, I see the right clicking on the image does bring up a popup menu that has the "Inspect" option.   Click on that.  The sidebar for Inspect is another way to access the html.  After clicking Inspect, inside the Elements section of the sidebar, the html relevant to the image should be highlighted.  Look in the highlighted html for where it says width="####" (where the #### is whatever numbers the current image width is).   Double left-click on those numbers and you should be able to change them to the width you want the image to be, then press enter.  The height of the image should scale automatically with the change in width.

41 minutes ago, Hazard said:

After clicking Inspect, inside the Elements section of the sidebar, the html relevant to the image should be highlighted.  Look in the highlighted html for where it says width="####" (where the #### is whatever numbers the current image width is).   Double left-click on those numbers and you should be able to change them to the width you want the image to be, then press enter.  The height of the image should scale automatically with the change in width.

That did it! Thank you!!!

UPDATE: Once I refresh the screen, it goes back to the way it was. *sigh* 

And if I go into edit post first and then change it, I have to change both width or height (or i just have super skinny photos). But then, it doesn't "save." And reverts back again. How do I exit "Inspect" and have my changes saved?

I have googled it and it doesn't seem like you can save changes in "Inspect Elements."

checking....

3 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

image.thumb.png.dd477ec71270471216f95a13e7e8a757.png

@Magdalena Ravenclaw

I used the Inspect method to change the quoted image in the last post from 1000 width to 400 width.   I've checked it on 4 different browsers (chrome, firefox, edge, and safari).  The image is successfully appearing as 400 width for me on all four of those browsers.

How do I exit "Inspect" and have my changes saved?

After you've changed the number and pressed Enter, go to the corner of the Inspect window and click the X to close it.

6 hours ago, Hazard said:

@Magdalena Ravenclaw

I used the Inspect method to change the quoted image in the last post from 1000 width to 400 width.   I've checked it on 4 different browsers (chrome, firefox, edge, and safari).  The image is successfully appearing as 400 width for me on all four of those browsers.

After you've changed the number and pressed Enter, go to the corner of the Inspect window and click the X to close it.

I see that you successfully did so. I am not sure why mine does not. And yes, I've been hitting "enter" and then click X to close. *sigh*
Is there possibly more than one place to change the width?

I don't understand why my "inspect" is so different than yours. I have to change the height as well (or I end up with super skinny pics). And then as soon as I hit X it jumps back to original size. :(

UPDATE: Okay, I got the inspect element to work. But only because I hit edit on my post, then click inspect, then hit control F and type in "img," then scroll through up to 97 images (including all the emoji's, the NFR logo, etc) until finally the image in my post is highlighted*, I then change the width (and yes, it automatically adjusts the height), and then I click "save" as in save the NFR post I have just edited that now has a smaller picture, and only then can I click the X and leave inspect element and the picture remains the smaller size after I refresh the page.

So.....is all that what you were implying I should do, or is all you have to do is click inspect, change the width, hit enter and then X? I am assuming the latter, and have no idea why my laptop is so...odd. Anyway, thanks for all your feedback!!!! 

*if I try to highlight the picture by clicking on it, it opens the picture in a new window and I am no longer in edit post.