NeverThatBored's New Groove

NeverThatBored

18 minutes ago, Xena said:

Today I bought all the ingredients and roasted a spaghetti squash so I could make that parmesan-spinach-deliciousness tomorrow :-)

Yesssss excellent choice!!

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

My birthday is this week. My husband is sick with a cold. I'm sooooooooo paranoid about getting sick right now. I feel you. I have a big party scheduled for Saturday. I'd hate to be sick during. :(

Feel better soon!

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 272 lbs

Current Challenge: Legend of RhiaWolfe: Tears of the Food Cravings

Previous Challenges: 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

43 minutes ago, RhiaWolfe said:

My birthday is this week. My husband is sick with a cold. I'm sooooooooo paranoid about getting sick right now. I feel you. I have a big party scheduled for Saturday. I'd hate to be sick during. :(

Feel better soon!

The sickness is everywhere! My boss sounds like he's losing his voice, so our short conversation this morning involved me standing in the doorway. And one of the drivers offered to give me a ride to the building I'm working in today, and his voice has been gone since last week. Uuuhh. No, thanks... Yes, I'm sure... I need the exercise (please don't get me sick!)

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Week 0 Friday-Sunday Update

I remain sick. I drove down to my friend's on Friday to hang out, but we didn't really do anything? She warned me she just wanted a quiet weekend, so I don't know what I expected, but there was too much sitting on the couch in front of the tv for me. I often enjoy doing exactly that in the company of friends, but not this time. :/ I guess this is a lesson that I need to plan things more in the future instead of just hoping that the company of friends is enough on its own.

I was going a bit stir crazy and still not feeling well by Sunday afternoon so I decided to head back early instead of seeing my aunt on Monday morning like I'd originally planned. I was feeling really lightheaded and like I just wanted to lie down, but the moment I got out of there I perked up and felt alert for the whole 4 hour drive home. 

I did get to cuddle with her pets~ She has a golden retriever and 4 cats. One of those cats was the cat we smuggled into our college apartment even though we weren't allowed to have pets. He's my baby~ I did a short yoga video on Sunday morning while I was there, which was neat. The bluetooth headphones my boyfriend got me are perfect for quietly doing yoga while traveling! 

• Like 5

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

Week 1 Monday Update

I had already put Monday in as a vacation day before I came home early, so I kept it that way. I spent most of the day resting, but I did go out for a bit in the afternoon to check out a botanical preserve on my list of places to explore. It closes at 4pm every day so it seemed like a good time to do it. The internet describes it as a 1.5 mile loop, but it was more like a bunch of connected pathways than a clear loop. They lock the grounds at 4pm and there weren't any signs or trail markers, so I was worried I'd get locked in! It was fine though. And pretty! Just walking around was tiring though. Being sick is stupid.

I wore the Innov8s I bought to replace my evil old OCR shoes, since this was the first chance I've had to test them out. I didn't get to try running in them but they felt very good walking around. Dat toe box space is what dreams are made of. The grip was excellent too. Buuut I was getting some chafing on the left heel, so I'll have to use duct tape or moleskine or something for Terrain Race on Saturday.

Spoiler

JxovkgN.jpg

lS6XaKl.jpg

I did a Yoga with Adriene video in the evening. I am always sort of uncomfortable doing things like exercise videos in front of other people, and my boyfriend was making faces at some of the yoga-y comments she made in this one. T__T So uncomfortable. But I did the thing anyway. My mini-quest for the week is to do a daily yoga video, since I don't know how much energy I'll have for anything else and I need the stretching anyway. 

• Like 7

Hello friend!

giphy.gif

I wish I had caught up on your thread earlier so I could have said happy birthday on the proper day :(  You're in my calendar now, though, so next year I'll be ready. I'm so sorry you were sick! Even though we're adults and birthdays aren't a big deal there are still rules, IMO. Your closest peeps should be a tiny bit extra sweet, and you should not be sick, and there should be weather you like. Doesn't seem too much to ask...

I say declare some other day as your rain-day birthday and celebrate it when you feel better.

On 9/10/2017 at 8:00 PM, NeverThatBored said:
  • Possibly doing some meditation? I usually meditate at night but it could be interesting to see how meditation helps me focus during the day. 

I've started trying to do my meditation in the morning because I feel like it helps me keep the mindfulness better throughout the day. If you haven't tried I suggest definitely trying it and seeing if you notice a difference.

On 9/10/2017 at 9:31 PM, NeverThatBored said:

I'm going to a Bouldering class there tomorrow. :) 

On 9/11/2017 at 10:08 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Bouldering is so hard, you guys. T_T The V1 climbs at this place were way harder for me than the ones I've done at other gyms?? I did not successfully finish a single climb. I did learn some tips and tricks and get some advice about what to work for though. I have no idea if I even WANT to boulder or if my desire to keep doing it is just annoyance that I'm so bad at it. 

On 9/12/2017 at 10:35 AM, NeverThatBored said:

There were a lot more walls where you had to invert instead of just straight ones. I had a good time the other two times I've gone elsewhere. So IDK. I don't need to do it regularly, but I get annoyed when I can't do things, so I want to at least get to the point where I'm not so nervous about it? But at the same time, it's not something I feel the need to do very regularly. 

Difficulty grading can vary pretty widely between gyms, and anything with an overhang is automatically way harder unless you're some kind of she-hulk about the core and upper body. So it's not too surprising those things are a little more challenging.

The other thing definitely contributing is the infrequency with which you do it. Grip strength takes a lot longer to build up than other things needed for climbing, and if you're only going once in a while it's not enough to see tangible gains. You could try supplementing with grip exercises between sessions if you're really into it, but technique will also help a lot, as will confidence, because it encourages efficiency and fluidity of movement. Have you tried practice falling onto the mats? If you're afraid of heights probably a great idea is to spend 20 minutes just practicing falling down safely until you feel confident you know how to do it and you don't need to be scared it'll hurt.

56 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

I had already put Monday in as a vacation day before I came home early, so I kept it that way. I spent most of the day resting, but I did go out for a bit in the afternoon to check out a botanical preserve on my list of places to explore. It closes at 4pm every day so it seemed like a good time to do it. The internet describes it as a 1.5 mile loop, but it was more like a bunch of connected pathways than a clear loop. They lock the grounds at 4pm and there weren't any signs or trail markers, so I was worried I'd get locked in! It was fine though. And pretty! Just walking around was tiring though. Being sick is stupid.

That places looks so gorgeous! 

I did a Yoga with Adriene video in the evening. I am always sort of uncomfortable doing things like exercise videos in front of other people, and my boyfriend was making faces at some of the yoga-y comments she made in this one. T__T So uncomfortable. But I did the thing anyway. My mini-quest for the week is to do a daily yoga video, since I don't know how much energy I'll have for anything else and I need the stretching anyway. 

Ugggh I HATE exercising when people are watching/commenting like that. I'm extremely impressed you still did the thing.

• Like 3

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

Sorry you're still feeling under the weather, but the garden looks super pretty :)

4 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I wore the Innov8s I bought to replace my evil old OCR shoes, since this was the first chance I've had to test them out. I didn't get to try running in them but they felt very good walking around. Dat toe box space is what dreams are made of. The grip was excellent too. Buuut I was getting some chafing on the left heel, so I'll have to use duct tape or moleskine or something for Terrain Race on Saturday.

When you say tape, do you tape your heels or your shoes? I almost always tape my feet when I go hiking / running long distances to prevent blisters. 

• Like 2

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

7 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Go to downward facing dog, make eye contact, and scream as loud as you can: "F*CK OOOOOFFF!!!!"

I hope it works! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

9 hours ago, Severine said:

Ugggh I HATE exercising when people are watching/commenting like that. I'm extremely impressed you still did the thing.

2 hours ago, Ensi said:

Go to downward facing dog, make eye contact, and scream as loud as you can: "F*CK OOOOOFFF!!!!"

He wasn't actively observing or making comments or anything, so I'm not allowed to be righteous about it. I just still saw him making faces >.<

5 hours ago, EmeraldEagle said:

When you say tape, do you tape your heels or your shoes? I almost always tape my feet when I go hiking / running long distances to prevent blisters. 

I'm not really sure! Probably moleskin on my foot and maybe also duct tape on the shoe? I've never really tried to do it preventatively before.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

I'm not really sure! Probably moleskin on my foot and maybe also duct tape on the shoe? I've never really tried to do it preventatively before.

:o preventative taping is awesome! It has saved me so many times, I do it every time I'm going hiking or skiing or wearing in new shoes! I first learnt to when I did Oxfam Trailwalker so I refer to their videos a lot: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIHILzTQ8ek

• Like 2

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

Just now, EmeraldEagle said:

:o preventative taping is awesome! It has saved me so many times, I do it every time I'm going hiking or skiing or wearing in new shoes! I first learnt to when I did Oxfam Trailwalker so I refer to their videos a lot: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIHILzTQ8ek

Oooh, thanks for the intel!

• Like 3

Just now, NeverThatBored said:

He wasn't actively observing or making comments or anything, so I'm not allowed to be righteous about it. I just still saw him making faces >.<

I definitely had this same problem during the Yoga Revolution. She's so nerdy sometimes that I love it, but my husband would be like, "did she really just say that?" Luckily, I am a loving wife who is comfortable telling her husband to shut up if he's not participating. :D 

Yay for shoes! I love my Inov-8's! Also - RACE HYPE!!!!

• Like 6

Boo sickness!!!! Start feeling better soon! It sucks when you get partially derailed due to sickness... It's especially hard on the ranger brain where we want to do all the things! 

I did yoga last night before bed, and for some reason, my back did not care for it. lol. 

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 272 lbs

Current Challenge: Legend of RhiaWolfe: Tears of the Food Cravings

Previous Challenges: 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

4 hours ago, Severine said:

Now I am curious to see what nerdy things Adriene says in the yoga videos, haha.

You'll just have to do some yoga videos to find out. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I definitely had this same problem during the Yoga Revolution. She's so nerdy sometimes that I love it, but my husband would be like, "did she really just say that?" Luckily, I am a loving wife who is comfortable telling her husband to shut up if he's not participating.  

Yay for shoes! I love my Inov-8's! Also - RACE HYPE!!!!

My boyfriend does the same thing - especially on some of her sillier innuendos that some videos have. 

I usually just just invite him to grab my old mat and join in (he hasn't yet, usually the offer makes him run away :P)

To be honest I have more issues with the dog choosing the perfect time to come knock me off balance - always the one legged poses :/

• Like 4

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

23 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I feel this.  I make my husband go into his office if I'm working out in the house.  Way to stick to your goal regardless!!

• Haha 2

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Week 1 Tuesday Update

I'm starting to feel better. My appetite has returned and the cough is fading, but I'm still really tired and my head's all fuzzy. It feels like it's on the way out though, which is good because I've got an OCR to do this weekend! 

I did another yoga video, the NF Water A video. I also got back to doing the GST mobility work, which I paused while I'm sick. They unlock each day as you make progress, so it was cool to log in and see that I still only had the 2 videos available to watch instead of 5 to make me feel behind. The yoga is already having a noticeable effect on reducing stiffness. 

My lunchtime routine didn't really happen because I took a nap instead, but I'm sick so meh. I did the yoga and a meditation session after work, so that sort of half made up for not doing it during lunchtime? In the evening, I made myself some birthday brownies. A++ decision. I'm still also going to make cake too. The disruption to my actual birthday last week has turned me into a birthday monster. :D 

I also got this great balloon at the grocery store:

YqXSz4M.jpg

The birthday balloon I never knew I needed.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

The birthday balloon I never knew I needed.

Cuuuute. And yay for feeling better!

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Week 1 Wednesday Update

Slowly mending but still super tired. I felt like I might be up for a run tonight but the timing didn't work out. Now I don't want to run before Saturday because I don't want to piss off my legs before the OCR. I did an NF yoga video and GST again. 

I did a bit better with the lunchtime routine today - I went on a walk to a pharmacy about 17 minutes away. I didn't really stretch or meditate then, but I remembered around 2:30 and did it then, so I'll take it. Headspace just added a "reset" meditation for the middle of the day, so I wanted to try it out. I'm at 570 days of meditation in a row!

I made some nomnompaleo kalua pig for dinner, which is always a delight. I also baked a yellow cake based on the recipe from my favorite bakery in NYC, and decorated it with rainbow sprinkles and candles. I'm terrible at frosting cakes, but it was still delicious. :P

• Like 4

Went to the wrist doc! He agreed with the diagnosis from the old doc and we came to the same conclusion, but he did it with a much better bedside manner. We're going to remove the cyst that's mainly bothering me and leave the one that's only occasionally annoying. The idea of surgery is scary but not a day goes by that I don't say "when my wrist is better I want to do [x]" so it's worth doing. 

• Like 7