J3nn - Doesn’t Skip Twice

J3NN

While last time was okay, I found myself skipping the workout and missing my third workout challenge consistently, so I'm going to implement the don't skip twice rule for all the things I'm trying this challenge. My midlife/writing crisis also threw me off, so I've set more specific goals instead of leaving it as vague as I did last time.

I'm doing five weeks, starting today, so I'll be tracking everything from here out.

Workout

3 per week, no more than three days in between (15pts) I'm focusing on the BBB with a particular focus on the push up since I suck at them.

Self Care

One item from list, every other day. (18 pts) List Shower bomb, Floss, Read, Write 750 words, Epsom salts scrub, No dessert, or No alcohol. (I may add more as the challenge shows me what I'm doing or I see other great ideas in other challenges)

Rituals for Transformation

I ordered a 108 day workbook and have been working through this. It's still new so I'm still building the habit. I want to track it to make sure I stay on top of it. So far so good, but better safe than sorry.

Reading, meditation, intention, morning reflection, evening reflection and gratitude. Daily. Tracked morning and night. (50 pts)

Writing

I plan to write a short fiction piece to submit to an anthology. I want to have it completed by the end of the challenge. I'll likely be looking for readers/editors as this will be my first piece of work I'll ever finish, if I do this.

Find and read short fiction the length of the story I’m writing (1 pt)

Write for 90 minutes per week using #amwriting and/or #wordsprints on Twitter in no less than 3 sessions. (15 pts)

Bonus

I noticed that I do or need to do a lot of other random stuff and there are some things I've been missing, so I made a bonus of list of randomness. This is just for me to track to learn more about my habits.

1 pt per bonus item, doesn’t count towards success of challenge. List: Amerithon tracking (I keep forgetting to record my daily walking total), NF Check-in, Something off my running To do list, Crochet (It's still hot to really do this, but it is something I've been missing), Making Jewelry, or Zentangle.

It's a lot of points, I don't know what I'm going to do with them. Maybe just level up. My big focus is really keeping up the BBB and getting that writing in. So if I do those two things perhaps I'll find a special treat related to working out or writing.

I can't believe that it'll be nearly Halloween when we finish this challenge, this year is just flying by.

• Like 9

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

12 minutes ago, J3NN said:

I can't believe that it'll be nearly Halloween when we finish this challenge, this year is just flying by.

I knowwww what is even happening. 

Love your goals. Where do you get your shower bombs/do you have a favorite? I only knew bath bombs existed so I'm intrigued. 

• Like 5

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

I knowwww what is even happening. 

Love your goals. Where do you get your shower bombs/do you have a favorite? I only knew bath bombs existed so I'm intrigued. 
Ok so it's not called a shower bomb, but aromatherapy spa shower tablet is too long. Our grocery store (Albertson's) has them in the health and beauty section in the kind of high end gourmet stuff like burt's bees and other pampering things. Here's a pic, I'm sure you could find them online. They have three scents, eucalyptus, citrus and something relaxing. I love them all, but personally eucalyptus is my fave.e8994f6113ee062e8938ba98b17b39d4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 4

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Cool, thanks! I'll look around for them. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Hey there,

What is the workbook you are using? I have tried a few things but like most other things I don't stick with them. 
It's called rituals for transformation and is from dragon tree, http://ritualsfortransformation.com/. I was intrigued by the concepts of rituals and thought I'd be learning about different types of rituals. It's not that, at all, but it's really interesting (one week in) and it's simple and meaningful so it's easy to keep up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 4

J3NN

10 hours ago, J3NN said:

Find and read short fiction the length of the story I’m writing (1 pt)

What length are you aiming for? I read more short fiction nowadays so I might have recommendations. :)

• Like 2

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

3 hours ago, Dagger said:

What length are you aiming for? I read more short fiction nowadays so I might have recommendations

5-10,000 words. My submission could go up to 20,000 per the req, but I'm not ready to commit to something that large. Would love recommendations. Thank you!

• Like 2

J3NN

51 minutes ago, J3NN said:

5-10,000 words. My submission could go up to 20,000 per the req, but I'm not ready to commit to something that large. Would love recommendations. Thank you!

In that range you could either look for anthologies with max 10-12 stories, that should mean that there will be several long ones if the books are normal size books. Most magazines and anthology have stories between 2000-6000 words as a general rule, so most stories would be shorter. If an anthology has more than 12 stories, I can guarantee almost all being shorter than 6000 if not 5000.

What kind of fiction to you enjoy reading most? Or what genres is the anthology call on so you can read the same genres?

• Like 4

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Regarding preparing to write something short, I like to set a very low word limit and try writing a story within that space. These days I sometimes do 500 or even 250 word stories, but a good place to start is 1000 words. That's about two pages, not including dialogue. If there's a scene you've been thinking of, but you don't know the whole story that goes with it, try just writing the scene! It's not a super daunting task since the word limit is so low and it gives you an opportunity to get your creative juices flowing. 

Good luck with your challenge! Looks like you've got some great goals set out. :) 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Regarding preparing to write something short, I like to set a very low word limit and try writing a story within that space. These days I sometimes do 500 or even 250 word stories, but a good place to start is 1000 words. That's about two pages, not including dialogue. If there's a scene you've been thinking of, but you don't know the whole story that goes with it, try just writing the scene! It's not a super daunting task since the word limit is so low and it gives you an opportunity to get your creative juices flowing. 

Very good advice. I always write in scenes. :)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dagger said:

What kind of fiction to you enjoy reading most? Or what genres is the anthology call on so you can read the same genres?

Hmm, I like fiction, fantasy, chick lit, some sci fi, supernatural, apocalypse, romance, detective/mystery, military, police, suspense... I don't care for horror... that might be easier.

The anthology call is zombie apocalypse.

• Like 4

J3NN

7 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

If there's a scene you've been thinking of, but you don't know the whole story that goes with it, try just writing the scene! It's not a super daunting task since the word limit is so low and it gives you an opportunity to get your creative juices flowing. 

In the spirit of being a good little challenger, I did this. Sort of. I haven't really thought through my story  yet to break it out into scenes, I haven't even come up with my protagonist. But I didn't want to get hung up on that, so I decided to just write. I set a timer for fifteen minutes, I picked an element in the story and just said go. Then I wrote 426 words. I felt like I was flailing all over the place and wrote three parts of a scene, or something. I have no experience with this, I don't even know all the right terms! But, I wrote, and I officially started, apparently I have some characters and they have names they shared with me as I was writing. So there's that!

• Like 5

J3NN

Workout

Yesterday - 1 pt. I was either doing something really right, or really wrong. My arms are in some kind of pain today.

Self Care

Yesterday – 1 pt, 3 items

Today – 1 pt, 3 items so far, and added two more items to the  list to choose from (mindful brushing teeth and using my diffuser)

Yesterday, 1 pt, morning/night done

Today, 1 pt, on target

Writing

Yesterday, I found and downloaded The Purple Wig, (1pt) it was the right length, but a different genre. I want to read more after reading this one, the length is really short and makes me concerned about having to jump into action without descriptors and stuff, I think I’m better at the descriptors and not so good at dialog and action.

Today, Wrote for 15 minutes, 1 pt. Described in another post

Bonus

Yesterday, 1 pt, I created my challenge

Today, 3 pts, Amerithon tracking, NF check-in and 1 item from my to do, I got my Amerithon Challenge completely up to date, 136.27 miles since we started in July.

• Like 6

J3NN

On 9/11/2017 at 6:32 PM, J3NN said:

In the spirit of being a good little challenger, I did this. Sort of. I haven't really thought through my story  yet to break it out into scenes, I haven't even come up with my protagonist. But I didn't want to get hung up on that, so I decided to just write. I set a timer for fifteen minutes, I picked an element in the story and just said go. Then I wrote 426 words. I felt like I was flailing all over the place and wrote three parts of a scene, or something. I have no experience with this, I don't even know all the right terms! But, I wrote, and I officially started, apparently I have some characters and they have names they shared with me as I was writing. So there's that!

Hey, you gotta start somewhere! I often write just to figure out what's going on. The editing process will be your friend there, if you need it. 

On 9/11/2017 at 6:43 PM, J3NN said:

Yesterday, I found and downloaded The Purple Wig, (1pt) it was the right length, but a different genre. I want to read more after reading this one, the length is really short and makes me concerned about having to jump into action without descriptors and stuff, I think I’m better at the descriptors and not so good at dialog and action.

I mean, you can always write all the description stuff and lead into the action and dialogue and then just cut out the description, if that makes it easier for you? One thing I like to remind myself when writing is "trust your readers." They have imaginations, so they don't need every little detail to be spelled out for them, and they're smart enough to make connections and put some things together on their own. 

You can also go completely the other direction and try over-describing every little detail just to get a sense of how unnecessary it is. How many eyes are on your character's face? Does she have a nose? Are there feet inside of her shoes? You may find being this overly descriptive is exhausting both to read and to write, and from there you can practice backing off little by little until you're doing less describing than you were before you started. 

Or maybe I just think weird. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, J3NN said:

Hmm, I like fiction, fantasy, chick lit, some sci fi, supernatural, apocalypse, romance, detective/mystery, military, police, suspense... I don't care for horror... that might be easier.

The anthology call is zombie apocalypse.

I'll be recommending a lot of Fiction River below because I know that anthology best. I've also sold three stories to them (one twice, reprint), but I'm not recommending any of them ones I'm in.

Fiction River: Visions of the Apocalypse has 14 stories, but all of them are about different kinds of apocalypses, so you can get ideas for how to do one in a short story.

Fiction River: Hex in the City has 14 stories and is urban fantasy.

Fiction River: Christmas Ghosts has 8 stories so some will be a little long, the genre is romance with a ghost. Some really good stories in this volume.

Fiction River: Unnatural Worlds has 11 stories (if I counted correctly), I remember this volume as very good. Mostly Fantasy, but with some SF I believe.

Fiction River: Fantasy Bundle has both Hex in the City and Unnatural Worlds plus Fantasy Adrift (being a bundle), so you could get three anthologies (all around fantasy) for less money.

If I wanted to found some that weren't Fiction River, I'd have to work harder, and I like to work smarter, haha. I've read all the above volumes and I've never read a story in a Fiction River that I hated or thought was a bad story. I might not have understood all of them, but I've liked/loved like 90+% of them, which is great for that many stories.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Wobbegong said:
On 9/12/2017 at 2:43 AM, J3NN said:

I mean, you can always write all the description stuff and lead into the action and dialogue and then just cut out the description, if that makes it easier for you? One thing I like to remind myself when writing is "trust your readers." They have imaginations, so they don't need every little detail to be spelled out for them, and they're smart enough to make connections and put some things together on their own. 

You can also go completely the other direction and try over-describing every little detail just to get a sense of how unnecessary it is. How many eyes are on your character's face? Does she have a nose? Are there feet inside of her shoes? You may find being this overly descriptive is exhausting both to read and to write, and from there you can practice backing off little by little until you're doing less describing than you were before you started. 

Description is an interesting topic. Done right it is so invisible that when you'd swear a favorite author did no description, you go back and find a lot of it. Doing setting/description is about getting it in there with the five senses (and more if your character has more senses!) and opinions of the character's whose head you are inside of. Just listing or describing the stuff without using opinion will make it what is affectionately called info dumping.''

Wobbegong is right that you shouldn't describe everything. But you need to describe enough that the reader knows what they are looking at. A barn looks very different in different parts of the US and all over the world, calling something a barn gives the reader nothing; my writing mentors call that fake detail. Other examples of fake details: tree, table, door, etc. They can look soooo many different ways that your reader will probably not imagine the right stuff and when you later give a detail that messes up their mental image they'll be very confused. On the other hand you can't describe everything down to the smallest detail.

Focus on what your character would notice; a musician would notice an instrument and probably know a lot about it while a non-musician might not even be able to name the exact instrument unless it was common in whatever place they are from or have lived. And beyond that give such a feel for the place that the reader can fill the rest in, but make sure to describe anything that will be used or that is important to plot.

Haha, I talked much too much about this. In beginning it is better to just get writing and do the best you can. :)

• Like 5

One thing I found really helpful when I was doing script writing was to outline each scene on an index card. I wish I knew where my cards were... If I recall right, it was something like:

"Protagonist"

"Antagonist"

"Conflict"

"Positive" or "Negative" (outcome)

Then when I was writing I'd have an idea of where I was coming from, what I was doing, and where I was going. 

• Like 5

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

On 9/12/2017 at 7:01 PM, Wobbegong said:

I often write just to figure out what's going on.

I didn't even think about this. Or I did, but I didn't think it was allowed. It's like I'd forgotten that there's a thing called editing and that your first draft is not your final draft. Duh. Thanks.

On 9/12/2017 at 7:01 PM, Wobbegong said:

Or maybe I just think weird. 

Good weird.

18 hours ago, Dagger said:

a lot of Fiction River

Intrigued. Bookmarked. Trying to decide what to buy. Thank you for sharing.

18 hours ago, Dagger said:

Haha, I talked much too much about this. In beginning it is better to just get writing and do the best you can. :)

I greatly appreciate you talking too much, you and Wobbe are giving me the freedom to do this through your experience. I thank you. That sounds weird, but I really do feel like you've freed me to just jump in and try stuff where normally I might get hung up on the rules and worry to much about doing it right. My crisis wasn't about doing what's right, it's about finding what I want to do, what I"m good at, what I love. I'll never do that if I keep trying to find the perfect line of prose and never write a word. The journey and experience are as big a part as the final outcome, so I just need to embrace it and go forth.

11 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

One thing I found really helpful when I was doing script writing was to outline each scene on an index card.

Hmm. Given the statement above, you can imagine that this would resonate with me. I like structure. I crave it. Something like this would be exactly what I'm looking for to help me keep everything in tidy piles. But. I think I'm trying to see if I can be a little bit messy. At least a little bit. For now. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 5

J3NN

Workout

Yesterday - 1 pt. Got through three reps of BBB (why did I add an extra b?-I think it rolls better, BB, BBB, I dunno)

Self Care

Yesterday – 1 pt, 2 items

Today – 1 pt, 2 items so far

Yesterday, 1 pt, morning/night done

Today, 1 pt, did both

Writing

Today, Wrote for 770 words, 1 pt. 

Bonus

Yesterday, 1 pt, 2 items

Today, 1 pt, 2 items

I feel like we've had a time change and I'm dragging... It's crazy impacting me. 

• Like 4

J3NN

4 hours ago, J3NN said:
16 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

One thing I found really helpful when I was doing script writing was to outline each scene on an index card.

Hmm. Given the statement above, you can imagine that this would resonate with me. I like structure. I crave it. Something like this would be exactly what I'm looking for to help me keep everything in tidy piles. But. I think I'm trying to see if I can be a little bit messy. At least a little bit. For now. Thank you for sharing.

If you want to just go for it, you could do what my writing teacher suggests (he's all for pantsing, aka no outlining, although he calls it writing into the dark which is the term I prefer (and there is more too it, but anyway...)), outline after you finish scenes. So when you finish a scene, make the index card. That way you have the structure, but only after you write.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dagger said:

If you want to just go for it, you could do what my writing teacher suggests (he's all for pantsing, aka no outlining, although he calls it writing into the dark which is the term I prefer (and there is more too it, but anyway...)), outline after you finish scenes. So when you finish a scene, make the index card. That way you have the structure, but only after you write.

That's a good idea. And the index cards let you play around with the scene order and the story flow/arc. Just playing around with that can lead to some interesting ideas.

• Like 4

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

23 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

One thing I found really helpful when I was doing script writing was to outline each scene on an index card. I wish I knew where my cards were... If I recall right, it was something like:

"Protagonist"

"Antagonist"

"Conflict"

"Positive" or "Negative" (outcome)

Then when I was writing I'd have an idea of where I was coming from, what I was doing, and where I was going. 

There's a computer program that does something like this called Scrivener. You can write in scenes and have cards for the scene on a corkboard, and when you rearrange them, the written scenes get rearranged to match. I'm a sorta-kinda-outline-but-not-really person, so it works really well for me. It also has a fullscreen mode so you can block out everything else and just type. Oh, it also automatically formats your work for the submission type you've chosen. Plus other goodies. :) 

• Like 5

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

9 minutes ago, PollyannaAgain said:

There's a computer program that does something like this called Scrivener. You can write in scenes and have cards for the scene on a corkboard, and when you rearrange them, the written scenes get rearranged to match. I'm a sorta-kinda-outline-but-not-really person, so it works really well for me. It also has a fullscreen mode so you can block out everything else and just type. Oh, it also automatically formats your work for the submission type you've chosen. Plus other goodies. :) 

Seconding this rec! Scrivener is a fantastic application for writing, it has tons of great features to explore. You can set word goals, do split-screen to see multiple sections of your project at once, import pictures, keep all of your chapters/acts/scenes/sections/notes/research/character sheets/whatever separate while still being in one document, all sorts of stuff. 

But my favorite product from that company is actually their mind mapping software, Scapple. It's super intuitive, easy to use, and does everything you could want a mind mapping software to do. For someone like me who doesn't tend to think in directions even resembling linear or chronological order, it's a life saver. 

• Like 5

I really love Scrivener too, but unless you are sure you want to do a lot of writing, or especially longer pieces, then it is very much overkill. And I do write short stories and such in it, but if I wasn't writing novels and stories in series and such, I would not use Scrivener, simple is often best. (I'm one of those that use little of the extra stuff in Scrivener.)

• Like 4