Kestrel Grey - Lucky 13?

Kestrel Grey

Hey, it's my 13th challenge!  It is scary how fast they go by.

There are many goals and desires that I am mentally juggling this month.  For my sanity, it is becoming important to keep most of them in the "I want to do this" category and not the "I have to do this" category, so I pared this challenge cycle down to just two things.

1. Lose 1% body fat

2. Keep the habit of exercise

My first goal is based on my desire to eventually get to 20% body fat (hopefully sometime next spring?)  This is a "must" category not just for vanity, but to make me a better athlete and to help me sort out some digestion problems along the way.  I have a food plan written up for the next five weeks and I will stick to it.

My second goal is a "must" as well.  By keeping the habit of exercise, I mean that I will do either my GMB Elements workout or my physio+bodyweight workout six mornings a week, as soon as I have had my morning tea.  I set this as my priority because of an article written by Jacob on his blog.  It talks about what four things are required for someone to make a change, and though he is talking about changing from a consumer lifestyle it applies just as well to changing to a fit lifestyle.  My main barrier to becoming a fit athlete is the perceived cost.  I think it will be hard.  I don't like being uncomfortable.  I hate feeling foolish or weak.  All things that exercise makes me feel from time to time.  By making simple at-home workouts a habit, I attack this barrier from two directions.  First, I lower the level of discomfort by reducing any mental strain of deciding when and whether to exercise, and make sure that it gets done when I have energy.  And second, I raise my ability to withstand discomfort through repeated low levels of exposure.

In other words, I only now realised that the more I do something the easier it gets.  

Image result for captain obvious

There are a couple events that will make this challenge a little more exciting.  First, I'll be going to Halifax in a week to visit an old friend. I have already updated her on my exercise commitment and she is willing to encourage me (read: not let me have breakfast until I am done).  Second, the hot weather and frequent heavy smoke is playing havoc with my headaches/asthma/energy so I am excited to have it clear out soon (I hope).  I have an early birthday hike planned for October 5th and I am praying it won't be cancelled due to forest fires.

That's it! I'll post my starting BF% tomorrow, and I'll check in every couple days, even if only for a few quick words.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Loving the simplicity here! Do more, eat better! I'm here to cheer you on! 

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

Loving the simplicity here! Do more, eat better! I'm here to cheer you on! 

Thanks Jon!  It's great to have you, you are my hero for showing what simplicity and consistency can achieve.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

2 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Thanks Jon!  It's great to have you, you are my hero for showing what simplicity and consistency can achieve.

Aww thanks :) Consistency really is a magic bullet and starting very simple is a great way to build it.

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Following!

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

5 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Following!

Thanks CQ :) 

Week 0 - Day 1

Starting bodyfat: 27.1%

This morning has gone well.  My meals are packed for the evening at work and I did my Elements workout.  I had got caught up in my Spanish studies until noon, but I stuck to my plan and exercised before eating anyways.  One day down, 33 to go.  It is very relaxing to know my "must do" has been accomplished for the day already.  I already feel less stressed.

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

Very well thought out challenge. Yay for the Elements workout . Are you enjoying it so far?

Boo for the smoke and heat. Hope it clears soon for you, and they put out the fires. We've dealt with that this summer too, and it's miserable

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

13 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

One day down, 33 to go.  It is very relaxing to know my "must do" has been accomplished for the day already.  I already feel less stressed.

This is one of the reasons I do all my workouts first thing in the morning! They are done and dusted before I've got any excuses not to do them and I don't have to worry about it for the rest of the day!

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Where are you at in the program?  I also have Elements but need to get back to it.  Lost focus on the movement portions but have been using the stretches and movement portion in other parts of my training.  Definitely my favorite exercises from it is the hip circles.   But I am finding a lot of the different things useful in the program.  Keep it up!

Spartan Assassin: Level 15

STR31   DEX26   STA27  CON25   WIS28   CHA23

On 11/09/2017 at 2:21 PM, Elastigirl said:

Very well thought out challenge. Yay for the Elements workout . Are you enjoying it so far?

Boo for the smoke and heat. Hope it clears soon for you, and they put out the fires. We've dealt with that this summer too, and it's miserable

I am loving the Elements workouts, even though I still feel really silly.  I am hoping it helps with my hip and shoulder stability.

And the smoke and heat are much better today.  Summer has come to a sudden and tragic demise; on Monday it was 30C and sunny, like every day before it all summer. Today it is suddenly dropped to freezing and drizzle/snow.  Everyone at work is complaining but I am ecstatic that the air is clean and fresh, for the first time in months!

On 12/09/2017 at 2:52 AM, jonfirestar said:

This is one of the reasons I do all my workouts first thing in the morning! They are done and dusted before I've got any excuses not to do them and I don't have to worry about it for the rest of the day!

Today was the first day that I didn't do my exercise first thing (I had a hair appointment :) ) and it was painful making myself do it later.  Definitely, first thing is the way to go.

15 hours ago, Mikroftt said:

Where are you at in the program?  I also have Elements but need to get back to it.  Lost focus on the movement portions but have been using the stretches and movement portion in other parts of my training.  Definitely my favorite exercises from it is the hip circles.   But I am finding a lot of the different things useful in the program.  Keep it up!

That's funny, I hate the hip circles!  My favourite is the frogger warm-up.  I am just finishing week two now.  How far did you get?  Is there a reason you stopped?

― Neil Gaiman

Week 0 - Tuesday and Wednesday

Tuesday went well despite some changes with my work shifts. Three people called in sick to different labs, so I ended up driving all over the city, filling in where I was most needed for a few hours at a time (I'm one of the few people comfortable at all the hospitals).  I did eat half a chocolate macaroon from the staff room but skipped the rice with my dinner to balance it out.

Wednesday nearly derailed because of an early morning appointment, followed by my boss texting to ask if I could come in an hour early.  I had to swap my scheduled Week 2 Elements workout for the Week 1 workouts (they are about 10 minutes shorter) in order to squeeze it in. I tried to talk myself out of doing one at all but happily that whiny voice was easy to ignore today.

In other news, my hubby gets back from Halifax tomorrow.  I am glad to have him home.  Morning exercising will be a little more embarrassing though... I'm not sure I want him silently judging me as I practise scampering like a monkey or lumbering like a bear.

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

6 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I had to swap my scheduled Week 2 Elements workout for the Week 1 workouts (they are about 10 minutes shorter) in order to squeeze it in. I tried to talk myself out of doing one at all but happily that whiny voice was easy to ignore today.

Well done you for squeezing it in despite the derailment!

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

On 9/14/2017 at 7:18 AM, jonfirestar said:

Well done you for squeezing it in despite the derailment!

Thanks!

Week zero - Thursday

Considering the day ended with candy, scones and ice cream, it didn't go too badly. :D  My morning routine was solid. I exercised, ate a good breakfast, and prepped a good lunch.  It was my day to bring in treats to work and I chose scones, very carefully adding an unsweetened pumpkin scone in with all the sugary glazed ones.  Here is where the happy story ends though.  After the day crowd left, there was one apple caramel scone remaining, staring at me as I worked on through the evening.  So I ate it. And then, because I was feeling miserable already from my cold, I dug into the candy drawer when the sugar crash hit.  On the plus side it shouldn't have done much damage after a healthy start to the day so I am not going to dwell on it too much.

My cold feels like it is getting better, or at least not getting worse.  Since I have to fly on Saturday I hope it stays that way! Flying with swollen sinuses is awful.

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:20 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

Week 0 - Tuesday and Wednesday

Tuesday went well despite some changes with my work shifts. Three people called in sick to different labs, so I ended up driving all over the city, filling in where I was most needed for a few hours at a time (I'm one of the few people comfortable at all the hospitals).  I did eat half a chocolate macaroon from the staff room but skipped the rice with my dinner to balance it out.

Wednesday nearly derailed because of an early morning appointment, followed by my boss texting to ask if I could come in an hour early.  I had to swap my scheduled Week 2 Elements workout for the Week 1 workouts (they are about 10 minutes shorter) in order to squeeze it in. I tried to talk myself out of doing one at all but happily that whiny voice was easy to ignore today.

In other news, my hubby gets back from Halifax tomorrow.  I am glad to have him home.  Morning exercising will be a little more embarrassing though... I'm not sure I want him silently judging me as I practise scampering like a monkey or lumbering like a bear.

Great Ranger adaptability switching it out for a shorter routine.  I know what you mean about feeling a bit silly. My husband came downstairs when I was practicing the monkey, and gave me a very funny look. Course if he laughs at me, I can just challenge him to a kettlebell lifting contest.;)

• Like 1

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I'm in Halifax this week, loving all my geeky friends out here and having a good time, so I probably won't check in much until next Sunday.  Food will be interesting as I am mostly eating whatever my friend cooks. We will be doing lots of walking, and we're going to an escape room tomorrow, and much sushi will be had.  The friend I am staying with is interested in getting back into shape, so we are doing the Elements workouts together in the mornings.

Wish me luck not gaining weight... I'll weigh in when I get home.

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

That is super cool that you are doing Elements with your friend! Have an awesome week.

• Like 1

Hi all, I am back from my East Coast adventures!   I am happy and fat and had my board game quota filled for the year, so I am excited to get back to my fitness goals.  We must have worked our way through all the best restaurants in Halifax.  It was good to see old friends, and even if I didn't make physical gains while I was away, I am sure that I made mental ones.  I met up with one old friend that I hadn't seen in two years; last time I saw her, she was struggling with weight gain after quitting smoking, random health issues, and perimenopause.  She looks great! She has gone vegan and developed a whole new chill outlook, and it is doing wonders for her.  Another friend has been cigarette-free for a year now, and a third quit his job to get a much better one elsewhere.  It makes me happy and optimistic about tackling my own goals to see everyone doing so well.

Tomorrow is my weigh-in.  I likely put on some fat this week but nothing I cannot handle. :)  As awesome as my trip was, it is good to back home.  I have "new challenge" energy all over.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

The damage from last week's Halifax trip: 27.7% body fat (up 0.6%).  Not what I wanted, but I can work with it.  I tend to stress-eat when I am staying in other people's homes so losing while on vacation would be asking too much.  

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

As awesome as my trip was, it is good to back home.  I have "new challenge" energy all over.

Great attitude. That is wonderful that the changes in your friends lives inspired you. I liked what you said about your friend being more chill. We often talk on here about food and fitness stuff, but really one of the things that has helped me was being more chill. Still a work in progress, but I am learning how to prioritize and to not worry.

Happy Thursday!

Checking in, though I don't have much to report for my challenge.  I am mostly back on plan.  I did have a cupcake yesterday.  It was homemade rich chocolate with buttercream icing and I didn't even feel bad about eating it.  Okay, I felt a little bad, but I skipped a meal so my calories worked out.

Non-challenge update: I have finished Love Languages (thanks all for the recommendation) and talked it over with my hubby.  He agrees with it.  I am almost confident enough in both past-tenses in Spanish to move on to the future tenses, and I have started working my way through a children's novel in Spanish.  I finally got up the nerve to send a research proposal to my boss, now I am awaiting the reply. The book on parrot training is going slowly.  My pre-birthday hike is planned and confirmed by at least 4 people so we meet the minimum requirements for hiking in bear country.  And I am about half-way through my current math textbook.

On 26/09/2017 at 3:37 PM, Elastigirl said:

Great attitude. That is wonderful that the changes in your friends lives inspired you. I liked what you said about your friend being more chill. We often talk on here about food and fitness stuff, but really one of the things that has helped me was being more chill. Still a work in progress, but I am learning how to prioritize and to not worry.

It's a work in progress for myself as well.  It is an interesting realisation how many of my reactions over the years, which seemed reasonable at the time, were really just unnecessary worrying.  One of my non-challenge goals is to start meditation practise in October to see what it provides for me. 

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

Sticking to plan is hard this week!  I keep messing up my diet (I ate donuts instead of dinner again today) and my brain tries to compensate by revamping my workout plan.  I need to remind myself:

1. I cannot "make up for" a crappy diet by exercising more. I may not get fat but I will still be unhealthy.

2. My goal is not to gain strength this challenge.  It is to make daily exercising an automatic habit, and making my exercises harder will hurt that goal, not help it.

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

Random update: I just discovered Calgary has a Park Run!? How could I have missed this? 

I haven't been running much (at all) this month so I likely won't go soon but I am excited to know it's there.  Something tells me it will work its way into future challenges.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

4 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Random update: I just discovered Calgary has a Park Run!? How could I have missed this? 

I haven't been running much (at all) this month so I likely won't go soon but I am excited to know it's there.  Something tells me it will work its way into future challenges.

You might just do what I do and live really close to the park run but never go :P 

4 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Sticking to plan is hard this week!  I keep messing up my diet (I ate donuts instead of dinner again today) and my brain tries to compensate by revamping my workout plan.  I need to remind myself:

It's a trap, don't fall for it! 

• Haha 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler