• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

The Arruvia Conspiracy - Winter is Coming

Where we left off:

On 9/11/2017 at 10:27 AM, WhiteGhost said:

It didn't take long for WhiteGhost to figure out where to go. He had heard of Hazard, the godfather of the local Assassin organization, but had never really interacted with him.  He asked around and was able to arrange a meeting.  

"What can I do for you, kid?" Hazard asked.  His tone was neutral but through the look in his eyes and the steel in his voice WhiteGhost knew this was a man with a background.  Swallowing nervously, Whitghost handed Hazard the scrap of paper he had recovered from the inside of Blinky's computer tower.  "I think this is some kind of code, but I have run all of the decryption programs I know but have come up empty every time.  Does this look like a code you are familiar with"?

Hazard took a long look at the characters written on the note.  WG38.2946071.-80.3132366”  He closed his eyes, leaned back and was put his arms behind his head as he thought.  Suddenly, Hazard opened his eyes, stood up and strode over to a bookshelf and started scanning the titles, searching for something specific.   Looking over his shoulder as he searches, Hazard looks directly at WhiteGhost "I assume this note was written specifically for you? The WG at the beginning can be ignored as it simply sates who the note is for.  The rest..." Hazard pulls a large atlas off the shelf and start flipping through pages until he finds what he is looking for.

"The rest is merely latitude and longitude coordinates.  What you are looking for is here" he says as he stabs his finger into a map. "Looks like you are going to be making a trip to West Virginia.  Middle of nowhere, it seems.  About as far off the the grid as you can get...

WhiteGhost crept up to the small cabin barely visible from the game trail leading past it.  The cabin is shrouded in Bush Honeysuckle and looks as if it hasn’t been inhabited for years.  He carefully pushes past the undergrowth and hesitates just for a moment before approaching the lone door to the cabin.  After a quick glance over his shoulder, WhiteGhost gently pushes open the unlocked door and sees his old friend sitting in an antique rocking chair next to a long unused fireplace. 

“I was beginning to think you weren’t coming”.  Blinky says dryly as he looks up over the top of his book.  Blinky listens carefully as WhiteGhost recounts what he saw and heard in the alley back in Aldenton, and also the scene in Blinky’s apartment in Indian Flats. 

“Well, I am not familiar with Mr. Muscles, but the fat guy is a Senior Partner over at Pentadin Partners, a shady financial services company that brokers transactions structured to get around international sanctions.  This is very interesting because I stumbled across a series of corporate acquisitions PP brokered this year just before I was so rudely chased from my home”.  Blinky walks over to a table covered in books and papers near the window and grabs a small notebook out of the stack.  “Let’s see here, we have a sclerochiton ilicifolius farm in Transvaal, South Africa, a chemical manufacturing plant in Guilin, China, a bacterial R&D center in Yasenevo, Russia, and an Ion Exchange Equipment manufacturer in Chennai, India.  Seems our fat friend has been quite busy”.  He walks over to his refrigerator and pulls out a soda and offers one to his guest who politely declines.  Blinky never used to be a big soda drinker, but perhaps the stress has gotten to him.  “I was trying to find out who the buyer was for these companies, but, as you can see, did not get to finish that task” Blinky says.  “Seeing as I need to stay off the grid for a while, perhaps you can help me look into it”. 

“I’d love to help” WhiteGhost says, "but I wouldn’t even know where to start looking”.  The corners of Blinky’s mouth turn up to form just the faintest of smiles. 

“Luckily, I have some information that may help” he says  “Mr. Osladin, whom you met in the alley the other night, likes to funnel his transactions through the same few offshore holding companies.  The hard drive you recovered has a few programs I developed that you can use to trace back to the beneficial owners.  Unfortunately for you, though, I can’t do it with you as I need to lay low for a bit”. 

WhiteGhost looks at Blinky who just nods knowingly.

“Well, it looks like I have some work to do” says WhiteGhost.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission 1: Winter is Coming - The Muscle Up

I have been working on this for the last few challenges and I think I am getting close.  Also, Winter is coming which means both freezing temperatures (which are not conducive to outdoor exercise) and pollution (Winter here often has more days over 200 AQI than below, so working out in those conditions does more harm than good).  Because my indoor pullup bar isn't stable enough for explosive movement, if I can't get the MU this challenge I will probably need to shelve it until spring.  So all in on the muscle up this challenge

Image result for winter is coming gif

Mission 2: Water Dancing - Focused Flexibility

Moving this up to #2 for this challenge.  There are a number of things I want to start working on but am limited by flexibility mobility issues.  I need to spend the next few challenges leveling up in this area so next year I will be ready to start doing the really cool stuff like pistol squats and flips.  Suck it up and work on the basics now, become a deadly water dancing assassin later

Image result for water dancer syrio gif

Mission 3: The Mountain with Legs - Single Leg Workouts

Although Muscle Ups will be my primary focus, I can't neglect everything else, nor can I be doing MU workouts every day.  I will be doing other workouts (legs, core, maybe running) on my non MU days to keep things balanced out.  Will I become like the Mountain?

Related image

Yeah, I didn't think so either

Mission 4: No Children in the Citadel - Reading with Ghostlet

New fourth mission is about reading stories with Ghostlet. The driver for this mission is twofold: 1) He is spending too much time playing Minecraft and watching tutorials.  I like that he is interested in something that boosts his creativity, but don't think it is good to spend so much time in the digital realm.  Just saying "get off your phone" doesn't help unless there is something to fill in the void, so to replace some of his game time but still keep his mind open to creative pursuits, I want to read fantasy/sci-fi stories to him.  2) Eventually he will most likely end up in an English language curriculum.  In order for him to get there, he needs to get his English reading skills up to speed or he will really struggle.

Image result for gilly in the citadel gif

• Like 10

First

I am still working through the details of this challenge but initially it will be as follows:

Mission 1: Winter is Coming

Various progressions working toward an eventual muscle up (M/W/F)

• Jump Muscle Up On Overhead Bar / 5-7s Eccentric: 5x32
  • Chin Over Bar Headbangers: 10x32
  • Archer Pullups Typewriters: 10x32
  • Russian Dips (as far down as I can get): 105x32
  • Handstand (Wall) Pushups: 10x32
  • Explosive Knee Raise (Kip) Pullup (maybe w/clap): 10x32
  • Handstand (Wall) Shoulder taps: 10x32
  • Deep (to Chest) Bar Dips: 10x32
  • Plank Tricep Extensions: 10x32

Mission 2: Water Dancing

Focused Flexibility routine

• Bent Knee Ankle Stretch
  • Shoulder Internal Rotation
  • Long Sit/Pike
  • Back Bridge
  • Paired with an evening abs workout video like the ones from the last challenge PVP

Mission 3: The Mountain that Does Bodyweight

Mostly working on single weight leg strength in preparation for pistol squats and full body conditioning type stuff (T/Th/Sat)

• Single Leg Box Jumps: 10x3/leg
  • Front Lever: 10x3
  • Shrimp Squats (as low as I can go): 10x3/leg
  • Single Leg Unweighted Deadlift: 10x3
  • Dragon Lifts: 10x3
  • Assisted Pistol Squats: 10x3/leg
  • Chain PullupsHangs: 10sx3
  • Jump Lunges: 10x3/leg
  • Modified GHR/Reverse Sit-upSingle Leg Hip Extensions: 2510x3
  • Close Leg Air Squats: 25x3
  • Deep Step-Ups 10x3/leg
  • Horizontal Scapular Retractions 15x3

Mission 4: No Children in the Citadel

30 minutes of reading from Harry Potter each weeknight

Looking at the list it seems like some of these may need to be modified once I actually try to do them.  I have to start somewhere, though, so I will start here and adjust as necessary.

Image result for game of thrones valar morghulis gif

• Like 6

20 hours ago, deftona said:

First -1! 

Welcome +1

20 hours ago, zenLara said:

Hi!

Aaargh! Help! There's a Cyborg Wolverine in my thread! 

Image result for hello wolverine gif

14 hours ago, Hazard said:

GoT challenge.  Remember, when you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. :o 

Image result for game of thrones I always win gif

13 hours ago, PaulG said:

Following, for reasons. Wishing you luck with both the MUs and the pistols. 

That's why I follow people too :) 

10 hours ago, fleaball said:

I haven't watched GoT but I'll pretend I know what's happening here anyway! 

9 hours ago, zenLara said:

I do the same! :lol:

Meh, it's good but the books are better

...You have read the books, right? :P 

9 hours ago, raptron said:

When-Your-Friend-Walks-Restaurant-Annoyi

Image result for Tyrion scream gif

8 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Following! 

Yay!

So yesterday I did absolutely nothing towards my challenge. Well, I did finish putting together the challenge framework so I guess something.  Spent the evening playing with Legos with Ghostlet instead of doing my abz and stretching.  Totally worth it.

Did my total body (minus upper body, minus abs) workout this morning.  I have decided I am going to just call it leg day and go with that.  I can already feel the DOMS coming on.  I think the total volume of reps was about right, but I had to scale down the one leg box jumps to just below knee height, because the knee height ones were just a little too much.  Also added deep step ups as suggested by @PaulG and was happy to discover that they also double as a great groin/hip stretch.  The various squats were also working my ankle mobility in a good way, so I am quite happy with this particular workout sequence.

On a different note, I may need to change jobs soon, so I will be doing due diligence on a possible opportunity this week to see if it is something that would be a good fit.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Spent the evening playing with Legos with Ghostlet instead of doing my abz and stretching.  Totally worth it.

Agreed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Aaargh! Help! There's a Cyborg Wolverine in my thread! 

Stop it! Or you will need help!

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Eeeeerrr... no?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, zenLara said:

Stop it! Or you will need help!

This is how I am picturing you now:

Image result for girl wolverine gif

17 hours ago, zenLara said:

Eeeeerrr... no?

It's not for everyone.  It is unique in that it is the only Fantasy story I know where the main characters regularly are regularly killed off (until recently, at least)

15 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Dropping by to wish you good luck on the challenge!

14 hours ago, Yuen said:

Best of luck on getting the muscle up this challenge!

Thanks. It's going take a lot of work too

Image result for no such thing as luck gif

14 hours ago, Yuen said:

I'm loving your exercise choices :)

Thanks, that means a lot.  I picked them mostly because they were recommended by various sources as useful for building MU related strength and technique.

I went through my MU Progression Sets this morning (Officially calling this workout MUPS from here on out) :)  As I expected, I am going to need to tweak it a little.  First, no way I am making it through 3 sets of these.  I was hitting muscle failure by the end of the second set in almost every exercise.  If later in the challenge I start making it through 2 sets for most exercises I may consider moving it back up to 3 sets.  Also, I was not able to get even a single good form archer pullup so I am downgrading this to typewriters.  Jump MUs were much better than I expected which was encouraging. Over the next couple of week I will work on gradually decreasing the jump and focusing on the initial pull.  Russian dips and hand stand shoulder taps kicked my butt  triceps.  I am pretty excited for this challenge because I can see this workout leading to some real progress :) 

Had dinner last night with a potential future employer and ended up not getting home until close to midnight.  Needless to say, abs and stretching did not happen again.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is how I am picturing you now:

Image result for girl wolverine gif

Long nails are too thin and they break... Naaaah, I still prefer the claws :D

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It's not for everyone.  It is unique in that it is the only Fantasy story I know where the main characters regularly are regularly killed off (until recently, at least)

My boyfriend made me watch a couple of episodes and I didn't like it. It felt like a flashy venezuelan soap opera. Probably the books are better, they always are.

Muscle-ups are so hard, man. I hope you get there (I am not even at a pull-up yet...).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Long nails are too thin and they break... Naaaah, I still prefer the claws :D

But they look so much more classy than

Related image

Besides, if they are adamantium they probably wouldn't be breaking

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm officially stealing that :D

Making up new workout related acronyms can be fun :) I was trying to come up with one for Leg Day while I was working out this morning, so far the best I have come up with is SLOG (Single Leg to Optimize Gainz)

So today was SLOG day.  I have a bunch of non-leg stuff too which I had included to break things up a bit, but after my MUPS workout yesterday my shoulders were having none of that.  They complained loudly when I tried doing front levers and then formally gave me the black spot when I tried chain pullups.  

Image result for black spot

I think I am going to have to drop all non-leg stuff except horizontal scapular retractions and dragon lifts going forward.  Chain pullups I can change to chain hangs seeing how the primary purpose is grip anyway and I may be able to fit front levers into MUPS, although they aren't something that is going to really help with my MU focus areas.  We'll see on that. 

Doing research on GHRs yesterday I discovered that the exercise I have been doing is called hip extensions (or sometimes back extensions).  I have been working on ways to modify this to make it more challenging because I have been needing to do up to 50 reps to get a good workout and stumbled across a video explaining that these can be done single leg, something I had somehow never considered.  I tried doing them single leg this morning and it was just what the doctor ordered. 10 on each leg is enough to get the job done.

I did my abs workout last night for the PVP, after which I figured out my new Focused Flexibility program for this challenge.

I have a feeling this challenge is going to kick my butt (but in a good way)

Image result for keep going game of thrones gif

• Like 6

On 9/12/2017 at 0:10 AM, WhiteGhost said:

They're on the list. I started the first one but I think it was right before I moved or something and I never got back to it. I have a hard time justifying leisure reading time to myself now for some reason. 

Good luck with the potential job move.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fleaball said:

They're on the list. I started the first one but I think it was right before I moved or something and I never got back to it. I have a hard time justifying leisure reading time to myself now for some reason. 

Good luck with the potential job move.

Before you get started, you should know that the series is currently unfinished (I know some people don't like reading until the series is finished) and book 6 (of 7) was supposed to come out like 6 years ago.  Some people are seriously worried GRRM might not live to finish the series at this rate...

• Like 3

Just now, WhiteGhost said:

Before you get started, you should know that the series is currently unfinished (I know some people don't like reading until the series is finished) and book 6 (of 7) was supposed to come out like 6 years ago.  Some people are seriously worried GRRM might not live to finish the series at this rate...

I did know that much! I thought there was only one book to go though. Whoops. Eh, maybe he'll have it out by the time I get around to reading them.

• Like 1

Hoping you get that muscle-up! :) (I want to see what actually works)

You say you're close - how close is close? I don't mean to discourage you, but I thought I was close a bunch of times, but still never achieved it. Maybe because I don't work on it for more than a few weeks at a time ever...

• Like 2