• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jakkals

Jakkals kry ruggraat.

It is time to get my world back on track.

I am still battling depression. This challenge will be about doing things I do not have the energy to do. 

Winter is over down here, I am wearing a light jacket now, but that is just because I am a wuss. I cannot blame the cold any more. 

Last challenge I watched a TED talk on dysfunctional families, it took me on a whirlpool down the Internet and I discovered a lot of things that I have never really understood. The short part, the entire family is dysfunctional, there is nothing I can do about it, I can feel sorry for myself, or I can do things to make the little part of my life that I can still call my own better. 

This challenge is about making my life better. This is now my fourth year on the forum doing challenges. I do not think there is anything that I have not tried before, so all on this list I can do, and know that I can do.

1. Exercise.

Yoga every morning. Get up at five in the morning and do Yoga.

As a bonus, clean up my weightlifting station.

2. Do not eat breakfast.

I am getting fat. I am  now 20 kg above what I were two years ago, and I never really hit my goal weight. One of my biggest sins is a big bowl of cereal every morning with enough sugar to make it crunchy. Stop doing that.

3. Money.

I have not gotten a salary now for eight years. Poverty sucks, and screw with my brain. For the first time this year I am solvent. My credit card is paid in full, I have got cash in my wallet, my car is filled up and I am expecting two payments that will solve only big money problem that I have caused for myself due to inaction.

Set up the bank to sort out the rates problem.

Do not spend money. I do not need to buy anything for now. So stay out of shops, stay away from the scrapyard, do not carry money, leave my wallet at home.

4. Internet

I hide away from people in front of a computer, then I open Youtube of Quora and my evening is gone. There are things I must do, so on Tuesday and Thursday evenings I may not go online.

• Like 4

At least this is week 0, so I am not doing anything wrong, but it is going to take a while to into the yoga again.

Staying out of shops are difficult. I was not aware of how often I did it.

Poor Flappie is on heat. I have to get that sorted out as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Umm...  I almost always wear a light jacket or outer covering.  Last Ren Fair I went to the jester asked if I was wearing a table cloth from Arbees.  Joke was on him, but that is for the people in on the joke.  I wear a shell for different reasons, but I thought that was normal.  Maybe not.  Hmm.  Shell.  Didn't think of it like that.  You make a fellow think, thank you.

Can I join you in cleaning up my weightlifting station?  It got over run with randomness.  I think there is a table there now.  Maybe my friend's power washer as well.  Right, if you want to reinforce, you post a pic, I'll post a pic, then we have a reference point?  Not in my challenge, but it is tangential and I can use all the help I can get.

I don't think of it as avoiding doing something wrong, as embracing being awesome.  The rearview mirror is a reference point, but it does not define where I am going. 

You got this!

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 1

Dag 1.

1. Exercise. Walking the dogs for one hour in the veld. Also raked some leaves

2. I did have an omelet for breakfast. This was the first breakfast for this week. Weight this morning were 94.4 kg.

3. I did not spend any money today. I also have not received one amount I am owned, and do not have the guts to send an email to the guy. Like always, the bigger hurry the customer is in the slower he is to pay. 

4. Today was an internet day. 

• Like 2

On 9/11/2017 at 9:13 AM, Jakkals said:

For the first time this year I am solvent. My credit card is paid in full, I have got cash in my wallet, my car is filled up and I am expecting two payments that will solve only big money problem that I have caused for myself due to inaction.

This is already amazing! Here for more amazingness.

• Like 1

HELLO JAKS HELLO HELLO ONE THOUSAND HELLOS!

I'm so glad to see you still here and still doing your thing! This sounds like a good challenge - those crunchy sugary breakfast cereals are dangerous - like popcorn but with MORE CONSEQUENCES. Also, what kind of yoga are you doing? Do you have a special place where you do yoga in the mornings?

Much love,

Rowan

• Like 1

On 11-9-2017 at 9:13 AM, Jakkals said:

2. Do not eat breakfast.

I am getting fat. I am  now 20 kg above what I were two years ago, and I never really hit my goal weight. One of my biggest sins is a big bowl of cereal every morning with enough sugar to make it crunchy. Stop doing that.

I don't know if you can get your hands on eggs easily (and cheap) they are a great source of healthy stuff, and starting the day with a couple of boiled or baked eggs (preferably the boiled) is healthy and the protein will keep you pretty filled. Another advantage is that twice a week boiling a pan of eggs isn't that much of pre-work ;) 

On 11-9-2017 at 9:13 AM, Jakkals said:

Do not spend money. I do not need to buy anything for now. So

• stay out of shops,
  • stay away from the scrapyard,
  • do not carry money,
  • leave my wallet at home.

Very best way to deal with this IMHO. And if these rules need to be broken be smart about it.

• Just visit that one shop, buy the stuff you need and get out!
  • Go for that single part in the scrapyard and get out!
  • If you need money, take with you what you need, nothing more
  • same goes for the wallet

Good luck this challenge Jakkals, get back into the mindset that made changes 3 years ago (when i joined NF, and you were my very first hero)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rowan said:

Also, what kind of yoga are you doing? Do you have a special place where you do yoga in the mornings?

I am supposed to be doing NF yoga. And if I do it I do it in the sitting room, before anyone else is awake.

13 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Good luck this challenge Jakkals, get back into the mindset that made changes 3 years ago (when i joined NF, and you were my very first hero)

Thanks. I know I can do it.

For now I am just doing the no breakfast thing. I do get hungry, but it is fine. It is just for this challenge, then I will get something else done. 

Dag 2.

1. Exercise. I did one stretching squat, rode the bicycle to work (but not back) and started cleaning up the compost heaps.

2. No breakfast. Weight this morning were 95.1 kg

3. Money. I had to buy dog biscuits in the supermarket. I bought nothing else. I bought two pins at the engineering supply shop to repair a vice. I parked in front of the Vetkoek Deli and I DID NOT BUY VETKOEK. I am amazed at myself. And I had to send off a parcel. 

4. Today was an internet day.

• Like 4

Oooh...  I've never had Vetkoek, but I think that someday, I would like to!  Is it anything like Langos?

Well done dodging the extra spending and calories!  I looked up Vetkoek after typing the above, and, ummm, want.  Need to see if I can find it out here.

- Murphy's Roommate

8 hours ago, Jakkals said:

I parked in front of the Vetkoek Deli

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor anxious gif

8 hours ago, Jakkals said:

and I DID NOT BUY VETKOEK

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor relieved gif

Is the vetkoek sweet or which vetkoek do you prefer?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jakkals said:

3. Money. I had to buy dog biscuits in the supermarket. I bought nothing else. I bought two pins at the engineering supply shop to repair a vice. I parked in front of the Vetkoek Deli and I DID NOT BUY VETKOEK. I am amazed at myself. And I had to send off a parcel. 

Wow! That is amazing! :loyal: Good job on only buying what you really wanted and needed.

23 hours ago, rowan said:

Also, what on earth is a Vetkoek? 

Directly translated it means fat cake. It is a lump of dough that gets deep fried, and then get a filling, sometimes jam but mostly beef mince. A very traditional sort of a treat, my mother has always refused to make it.  The problem with the one I want to buy is that it is as big as a plate and very very thick.  I think two people can share one for a meal

15 hours ago, Murphy's Roommate said:

Oooh...  I've never had Vetkoek, but I think that someday, I would like to!  Is it anything like Langos?

Now that I also know what Langos is I think it is similar. 

14 hours ago, mr_willes said:

Is the vetkoek sweet or which vetkoek do you prefer?

I prefer it savoury. A nice curry with chutney.

13 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Wow! That is amazing! :loyal: Good job on only buying what you really wanted and needed.

But I really really wanted to buy a Vetkoek. I just want to figure out a need. 

Dag 3.

1. No exercise. I overslept this morning, and did not even have time to drink tea before I had to go to work. One stretching squat, still busy cleaning up the compost heaps.

2. No breakfast. Weight this morning were 93.8 kg

3. I did spend money today. 

This morning I bought hardboard and pine for work, using my credit card.

And I applied for a new drivers license. I have been driving around without one since my wallet got stolen 5 months ago, and got pulled over twice, both times getting away with a warning only. But the queues at the center is normally too long. This morning it did not look too bad. I checked again after teatime, and only twenty people were there, and I popped in after lunch, and had to wait for only two minutes. The money was planned for, and I withdrew it last week.

I did go to the scrap yard, and did not buy anything.

And I got a pleasant financial surprise tonight. It is not much, but completely unexpected.

4. No internet tonight before 21:30. I did a lot of stuff online,  but all were admin related.

• Like 4

And I applied for a new drivers license. I have been driving around without one since my wallet got stolen 5 months ago, and got pulled over twice, both times getting away with a warning only. But the queues at the center is normally too long. This morning it did not look too bad. I checked again after teatime, and only twenty people were there, and I popped in after lunch, and had to wait for only two minutes. The money was planned for, and I withdrew it last week.

Wow! That's good. Glad that is sorted out now. Which reminds me I need to check when my license is due...

And I got a pleasant financial surprise tonight. It is not much, but completely unexpected.

Awesome. Any amount is always welcome! Elke bietjie help.

• Like 1

Short lines are always great. It is one of the things I like about living in a small town. 

Dag 4.

And possibly some good news at work. Strange how a negative thing can make me so happy.

1. No exercise. Not even a squat. I should do better.

2.No breakfast. Weight this morning were 94 kg

3. I had to buy a roll of tape to close boxes for work. 

And I had to buy a packet of screws.

And I got some unexpected cash, I have to buy fuel.

4. Tonight were an internet day.

• Like 4

Dag 5

I had two very uncomfortable conversations at work today, and will have to do a few more. But it have to be done. 

Other than that the day were bland. Unproductive and tiring.

1. No exercise today. I am going to invest in a battery for my big alarm clock. It worked last time, it should work again.

2. No breakfast. Weight this morning were 94 kg

3. I lost this one today. I did went to the scrap yard and added pieces to my little hidden pile.

What I was doing in the charity shop I have no idea. I even went back with money and bought two books, one fiction and The last lecture by Randy Pausch. Also box sets of the last three seasons of How I met your mother. All for R40. There is another book I should have bought.

4. I should not have internetted tonight, but I did.

The day was a fail.

• Like 3

Two uncomfortable conversations at work sounds like it could take up a lot of your energy and fortitude- I always find that those really take the wind out of my sails.

hope tomorrow is better!

• Like 2

If you don't mind, what is your hidden pile?  I suspect it is much like my stash.  When I grow up (e.g. another 8 years when I don't have to move every few years), I want to have a work shop shop that is, interesting.  I figure we grow into ourselves, and it takes a long, long time to have our wallets catch up with our ideas.   We can dream.  No idea what this is from, but someday...  But without the spiders.

7a567662ecf518a4ffab87492359afee.jpg

Fail is motivation.  A day doesn't always work out.  Tomorrow, is another day to get back in.

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Murphy's Roommate said:

If you don't mind, what is your hidden pile?  I suspect it is much like my stash.  When I grow up (e.g. another 8 years when I don't have to move every few years), I want to have a work shop shop that is, interesting.  I figure we grow into ourselves, and it takes a long, long time to have our wallets catch up with our ideas.   We can dream.  No idea what this is from, but someday...  But without the spiders.

My hidden pile is the little stash I put to one side at the scrap yard. It is all sorts of interesting little pieces. It is not worth the effort to go and stand in the queue to pay for one piece but when it become useful I buy it. Sometimes I am unlucky and it has disappeared. 

My workshop is interesting enough. I have got enough space, enough tools and enough ideas. What I do not have is enough time or decent employees.

Except for a small angle grinder. I wanted to use it this afternoon and it was missing. And suddenly some other things fall into place and we went and have a look at the security cameras. Someone opened a window last night at nine, entered the workshop, went through the entire place and took the flashlight and the grinder. The flashlight showed up nicely on the cameras.  Fortunately nothing else got stolen that we know of so far, we could see everywhere he went and everything is still there. 

I am pissed. This means I will have to spend the entire weekend upgrading security. We have been lucky, this is our first problem in more than ten years. We know how he got in, and that way is now blocked. But the cameras and sensors need to be cleaned and upgraded. My entire weekend plans is down the drain. Anyone out there who wants to spend time six meters up a rickety ladder cleaning cameras?

And I am going to spend money tomorrow. There is a church bazaar, and I am going to buy pudding.

21686398_10155708319257288_6009011462106

• Like 3
  • Sad 1