• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jakkals

Jakkals kry ruggraat.

WAITBI JUST SAW THE THING ABOUT THE BURGLARY, THAT IS BULLCRACKERS AND HIGH KNAVERY AND I AM OUTRAGED ON YOUR BEHALF!

but actually, a rather strange burglary- were the grinder and the flashlight particularly valuable? 

Also, be careful up those ladders!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jakkals said:

Except for a small angle grinder. I wanted to use it this afternoon and it was missing. And suddenly some other things fall into place and we went and have a look at the security cameras. Someone opened a window last night at nine, entered the workshop, went through the entire place and took the flashlight and the grinder. The flashlight showed up nicely on the cameras.  Fortunately nothing else got stolen that we know of so far, we could see everywhere he went and everything is still there.

Oh no! Do you have insurance to replace the grinder? That is so ... arrogant (and typical) of some criminals, walking through the place and choosing what he wants. Although I'm really glad he only took two things! You think it might be an inside tip-off or just opportunistic chance? Anyway, good luck with cleaning the cameras, and enjoy the pudding from church.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2017 at 7:35 AM, rowan said:

but actually, a rather strange burglary- were the grinder and the flashlight particularly valuable? 

Good quality, but not that valuable. He also stole my scrap copper. So probably just a stupid drug addict looking for a quick buck.

On 9/23/2017 at 9:33 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Oh no! Do you have insurance to replace the grinder? That is so ... arrogant (and typical) of some criminals, walking through the place and choosing what he wants. Although I'm really glad he only took two things! You think it might be an inside tip-off or just opportunistic chance? Anyway, good luck with cleaning the cameras, and enjoy the pudding from church.

We do not have insurance. Just an opportunist we think.

The pudding were great. And the vetkoek. And the pancakes. And I bought books. The koeksisters and cupcakes I took home.

On 9/23/2017 at 10:16 PM, Emma said:

Sorry to hear about the robbery

Be smart on those ladders.

Our park handyman just died falling off a ladder. 

That is not good. I do not like ladders.

4 hours ago, Twilight said:

Ah geez, I'm sorry to hear about the robbery.

Thank you

1 hour ago, rowan said:

Hey Jaks- hope everything is going well, and the whole security project didnt eat your WHOLE weekend :) 

It did eat most of my weekend. And I am still not finished.

But the guy were back Saturday evening. He did eventually got in after an hour and a half of fiddling around. I have no idea how he got through that small hole. He spend an hour in the workshop, and as far as we know did not take anything.

For me the biggest problem is that is triggered my father's paranoia. It is normally difficult to live with him but this makes it much worse. 

I have been feverish and tired all day. I really need to sleep a lot more.

• Like 2

That sounds super rough, dude- and it's weird that he came back a second time but didn't take anything...

Feverish? Is that a no-sleep thing or a getting sick thing? DO NOT GET SICK PLEASE!

• Like 2

You took the koeksisters home? Had to look them up. First thought...you took some sisters home with you? That could have been fun. :)

Someone breaking in and lurking in my shop would trigger some serious paranoia in me too.

Get your sleep.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2017 at 7:39 AM, rowan said:

Feverish? Is that a no-sleep thing or a getting sick thing? DO NOT GET SICK PLEASE!

I think it was a getting sick thing.

But I am OK now. My mother seems to have the same thing now.

Thanks for your concern. I will no get sick, I cannot afford it.

13 hours ago, Emma said:

You took the koeksisters home? Had to look them up. First thought...you took some sisters home with you? That could have been fun. :)

I really need some females in my life. But for now I will settle for koeksisters only.  It is a very rare treat.

We had our first rain for the summer, and the first since March. This was loud thunderstorm. Lightning destroyed the printer and the telephones, and this morning we also did not have electricity after a day of noisy short-circuits  from the wires across the street. I am not sure we are going to have power tonight, I am now typing this on the computer at work. I have spend too much time reading Quora. Not my proudest moment.

But I am much better now. My body is fine, and my brain has shut up. It is a relief.

• Like 3

The Good:

Today is two weeks since one of the women has been at work. She did not let us know anything, and I think she has got another job. The two weeks is the magic number where we could consider her to have absconded, and do not have to take her back. And since she has absconded and did not resign we do are not responsible to for any payouts or anything. The relief is immense, she was not one of the better workers. Eight more people to go. 

The Bad:

Last night we had another break in. This is really not funny. It took me half an hour to find the place where he got in. If he did not break a wire on the gate I would probably never have known he was there, one tool and an old drill and some more electric cable are missing. Security upgrades are continuing. And I had a very boring hour long meeting with a security camera salesman who thinks he knows everything and tried to convince me to spend a car's price on security camera system.

The Ugly:

My father's eyesight is very bad. Tonight we went to the workshop and he was driving. I do not think he should be allowed to drive any more.  Stopping twenty meters in front of  a stop sign because he cannot see the line is not a good sign. I also do not think he is willing to admit how bad it is.

Confessions:

Something I have not told anyone. On Monday I bought a packet of crisps. Yesterday I bought 6 books, two for resale. Today I bought a second hand angle grinder to replace the one stolen. And we ate pizza last night. I am trying to feel guilty, but it is the first pizza in the house in three years.

The guy who owed me money paid me on Tuesday. I was at the point of writing another letter. Now I can stop hating him.

Apparently there is a challenge.

My brain is on strike again. It has been a bad day. 

• Like 2

I hate thieves.  People started shopping on my porch during the holidays - stealing packages.  Oh, and rooting around in my mailbox. 

Now I have cameras up and the "porch pirates" seem to be leaving me alone. 

Still hate thieves.  Have you considered posting signs?

I wouldn't feel guilt over replacing the stolen angle grinder - it seems like you need one of those to do work.

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 1

On 9/28/2017 at 10:46 PM, Jakkals said:

And since she has absconded and did not resign we do are not responsible to for any payouts or anything.

Did not know this! Glad for you.

Last night we had another break in.

Ag no!

The guy who owed me money paid me on Tuesday. I was at the point of writing another letter. Now I can stop hating him.

Well this is actually great!

Jakkals I hope things settle down soon.

On 9/29/2017 at 2:28 AM, Murphy's Roommate said:

Still hate thieves.  Have you considered posting signs? 

We do have cameras and signs, but thieves are stupid. I did spend a lot of time thinking and designing in my mind lethal booby traps. And I got out my trip mechanism.

On 10/1/2017 at 2:50 AM, rowan said:

Hey Jaks - how's your weekend going? Happy halfway challenge point!

Is the challenge halfway already? I have lost the week.

On 10/1/2017 at 5:34 PM, elizevdmerwe said:

Jakkals I hope things settle down soon.

I really hope so too. My brain does not like all of this trouble

On 9/29/2017 at 12:24 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Congratulations on lightening your payroll.

You have no idea on the relief it is. Of all the people she is the one I will miss the least.

My brain spend the weekend going bananas. It is getting better. I had a brief moment of happiness this evening. We worked the entire weekend on upgrading security at the workshop. Pulling cables to add more cameras and sensors for the alarm system. We are lucky enough to have the technical yard of the national telephone company next door with 24 hour security. 

I made an appointment at the Vet to have Flappie spayed. I do not want puppies nor do I want to go through that again. 

And I listed books for sale at a local auction site. Here's to hoping someone will have more money than sense.

And tonight is the third night of thunderstorms in a row. The poor dogs are petrified. The small ones, Vonk does not seem bothered by it.

Challenge update for week 2.

1. Exercise: None. I have to get energy for it somehow.

2. Breakfast: I only ate breakfast on Sunday

3. Money: I bought one bags of crisps, and 6  secondhand books.  I am trying to feel guilty about the books, but I pay R5  (0.368 USD ) apiece

4. Internet. I stayed of the internet Tuesday, but Thursday I just gave up.

• Like 4

Jakkals -

It can be a fun thought exercise, laying out collapsing minefields, IEDs of various types, bouncing betty's, sentry guns, spring guns, foo gas, punji sticks, aerosolized tagents to que hunter killer drones, command detonated munitions, sigh, I worked to counter some of the above professionally - etc. but in every real world case I have heard of civilians doing any of that stuff for real, the "booby" who triggers the boobytrap is the person who set it.  I'll tell you the story over vetkoek someday.  It is funny in a horrible way.  And for everyone who just went on a google binge for all of the above words, I'm sorry you had to see a bunch of ways humans hurt each other.  On the bright side, it makes day to day life seem pretty tame. 

Books are wisdom you don't have to bleed for.  As long as you read them, life is good. 

As far as energy goes, a tremendous helper for me is ending my shower cold.  It really seems to get me jumping.

Here is to a calm next week!

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jakkals said:

I made an appointment at the Vet to have Flappie spayed. I do not want puppies nor do I want to go through that again.

Good! State vets or SPCA do this for a lower price I think. We got most of our dogs from the SPCA and it was included in the "adoption" price.

Good luck with all the security measures. Will pray for no more break ins and some peace of mind. I totally agree with @Murphy's Roommate about the books, especially at that price!

This is not bloody funny. This time he broke a window and got in that way. Stole some expensive engraving brass we had in the drawers.

On the good side, he had the cheek to switch on the lights and we got a good look at him on the cameras. He spend almost two hours in the workshop.

This has now consumed the past two weeks of my life. I am sick and tired of this. 

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Jakkals said:

This is not bloody funny. This time he broke a window and got in that way. Stole some expensive engraving brass we had in the drawers.

On the good side, he had the cheek to switch on the lights and we got a good look at him on the cameras. He spend almost two hours in the workshop.

This has now consumed the past two weeks of my life. I am sick and tired of this. 

Time to bring out/in snakes (even rubber ones), electrified frames, and maybe some barb wire. Then again you don't want it to look like some fort, but this guy has gotten a "taste" for easy loot from you guys now! Have you brought the police in? Will it help to bring them in, in your area? Here they've actually improved their response and service.

• Like 1

The Police is uninterested. They just want to open dockets. On Wednesday morning we got some good video of the guy. The employees volunteered to go to town and had a look around and they found him. The police "did not have anyone available to go and arrest him,"

Since I last posted he has broken in three times. I am sleeping in the office now, I haven't slept in my own bed for the past 5 days and I am extremely tired.

On Thursday evening he broke into the storeroom, just before he arrived there. He also broke in on Friday morning, the alarms woke me up, I phoned the police and my father and ended up confronting him. We had a wrestling session but he got away. The police arrived 30 minutes later. 

I had to spend money on replacing locks and resorting all the keys of the workshop. It was expensive. I also bought my stack of scrap iron at the scrapyard.

I had breakfast two times this weekend.

I am tired. Life is against me at present. 

• Sad 2