• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jonfirestar

Jon Firestar: The Spartan defeats the Beast

Jon Firestar: The Spartan defeats the Beast

I’ve had a lot of ideas running about what to do for this next challenge but this past week has been something of a wakeup call for me. I’ve had depressive spouts in the last year since joining the Rebellion but I’ve never felt so utterly drained and devoid of motivation.

So I’ve decided to reign this one in a little. So here are a few things.

In less than three weeks I run my first Spartan. Because I don’t do things by halves, that Spartan is going to be a Beast and encompasses 13 miles of obstacles and, what will undoubtedly be, many burpees.

For better, or for worse I’ve done the training to prepare for the Spartan. Nothing that I am going to do now is going to have a massive effect one way or another on my ability to pull that off. I’m cruising on the fitness that I’ve spent the last year building. So my goals are to help make sure my head and body are in the game for when I go into the race.

The cycle is going to go into a quick ramping of training over week 0, immediately followed by a cut down and a full taper into the race and a week of hard recovery. For the end of the year I’ve got a lot of races going on and new ones being added to the calendar all the time. So it’ll be some time before I can settle back into a regular routine. (I might have signed up to another race this morning).

Running

My goals here are going to be less impressive than they have been recently. The running is largely on auto pilot right now. My running schedule follows. My goal is just to hit each and every session. The week immediately post Spartan will be largely by ear but I’m aiming for just 2 short slow runs and one long very slow run.

As a mini goal I’m aiming to get 3000 feet of climb over the next 3 weeks before I go to Spartan. Just a few weeks after Spartan I also have the Maverick Trail race. It’s a localish race up in the hills. I live by the hills I need to spend time running the hills!

Spoiler

Week 0:

Monday: 4 mile run

Tuesday: 6 mile, tempo cruise intervals (x6 5 minute intervals at T pace)

Wednesday: 3 mile hill run

Thursday: Hill repeats, 5 mile run.

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 7 mile run

Week 1:

Monday: 3.5 mile hill run

Tuesday: 20 minute tempo run, 5 mile overall.

Wednesday: 3 mile hill run.

Thursday: Hill Repeats, 5 mile run.

Saturday: 10 mile run

Week 2:

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: 3.5 mile hill run

Thursday: Rest

Saturday: Windsor Spartan Beast

Week 3:

TBD but lots of rest.

Week 4:

Tuesday: 20 minute tempo run, 5 mile overall.

Wednesday: 3 mile hill run.

Thursday: Hill Repeats, 5 mile run.

Saturday: 10 mile run

Strength and Conditioning:

Obviously lots of running is still happening and I am still concentrating on mainly bodyweight work (with the aid of a sandbag) for my strength work.I’m going to run a simple circuit of the following trying to get as many rounds and possible in the allotted time.

Bodyweight circuits 3 times per week. Mon, Wed, Friday  

Recovery

I’ve been slacking here a little over the last challenge so I’ve decided to make it a goal.

Stretch after my workout. Foam Roll at least twice a week (especially Saturday).

Food and Water

This is familiar by now. I have a calorie goal of 2800-3000 calories. I'm sticking to maintenance calories for the duration of this challenge. Will revise for next challenge. 

I also want to track water intake for the duration because I’ve been slacking off with hydration. Approx 2L per day.  

Edited by jonfirestar
Adjusted some of the goals
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Stribs said:

Here to watch you defeat the beast!!  

Glad to have you here to witness! I hope I can pull it off.

2 hours ago, deftona said:

Here to watch you kick ass in regular Jon Firestar fashion! 

1799908887-armyofdarkness-quotes-buckle-

Time to kick some ass!

5 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along again.

Good to have you along :D

19 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

*checks signature for race details* Oh, a Halloween run. Do you have to dress up for it? I did a fancy dress one a few years ago and it was brilliant.

:D the theme is pirates. It's super local. I saw the posters for it while I was running on Saturday it's only 5k but I couldn't resist. There'll be photos of the pirate cosplay! It takes place on Halloween night and it should be a lot of fun.

• Like 6

Great goals! I think it'd be really tempting to push harder and harder and harder, but you're right - follow your plan and it'll all come together. Following!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucian Silvermane said:

image.jpg

You got this, Jon.

:D I might need to go Hulk mode to get through this one! 

3 hours ago, Salinger said:

Here to follow along! A Halloween run sounds great, you should go as a zombie pirate :D 

I thought about that too! Still a while to Halloween so plenty of time to work on my costume!

3 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

:loyal: reporting for duty, sir!

And I couldn't be happier to have you! 

3 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Following

Woo! 

2 hours ago, Odinson said:

Following

Welcome! 

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Following again!

Great to have you! 

2 hours ago, Mizbrek said:

Great goals! I think it'd be really tempting to push harder and harder and harder, but you're right - follow your plan and it'll all come together. Following!

It is very tempting to try and keep pushing harder and longer all the time  but these are the very things I've been training hard for so it does make most sense to take a step back and work on the events. I can always start pushing again once race season is over! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Following, as always. :) 

Happy to have you here! As always. 

Week 0, Monday! 

First update of the challenge. I'm really tired today. I slept badly. Things were quite tense last night. I mentioned in my last challenge that we've got people in Florida. They were hunkered down from the storm last night. The peeps all made it through the night unscathed. I wish the same could be said about their houses. I've only had initial reports because power and internet is spotty at best but it sounds like one of their homes has been almost completely destroyed. I'm very happy they decided not to stay in the house but that is still a horrible outcome. 

The day hasn't been great today but I did have a tiny bit of good work news. Nothing big or important just a little less pressure on me, and that is always good. I'm also booked in to attend a conference next week in Oxford on SDN and that should be quite interesting. That *shouldn't* affect my goals at all. Oxford isn't far and I'll have time to do whatever exercise I have planned before I leave. 

Onto the challenge. 

Running

4 mile easy run. What it said on the tin. I did a 4 mile easy run. I'm going to be pushing a few more miles mid week this week because I'm on call over the weekend and that limits how far I can go running on Saturday. I wish I'd thought about the hill work first thing but I only really thought about it after I'd already done my run. I have a plan for quite a hard training run tomorrow and we'll see if it is something I can pull off but right now I like the idea ;)

Strength and Conditioning:

Again I hadn't really worked out my challenge this morning but I did do a little bodyweight circuit for strength training. Overall I want to do a bit more than what I did today. I want to focus a lot on pull ups and core work because those two things would help the most in my coming races. 

Recovery:

Yoga, none I might not get time tomorrow morning but I want to try and fit this in. 

I did stretch after my run though. 

Food and Water

Calories 2668: it's been a struggle today but so far so good. 

Water: Goal hit. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

the theme is pirates. It's super local. I saw the posters for it while I was running on Saturday it's only 5k but I couldn't resist. There'll be photos of the pirate cosplay! It takes place on Halloween night and it should be a lot of fun.

Sounds fun!

5 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

It is very tempting to try and keep pushing harder and longer all the time  but these are the very things I've been training hard for so it does make most sense to take a step back and work on the events. I can always start pushing again once race season is over!

Exactly right. Sounds like we are in the same boat on this one. This is pretty much the magic racing season. You gotta take advantage.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

the theme is pirates. It's super local. I saw the posters for it while I was running on Saturday it's only 5k but I couldn't resist. There'll be photos of the pirate cosplay! It takes place on Halloween night and it should be a lot of fun.

Sounds cool. It's worth paying to do a 5 k if it's fun and quirky. 

• Like 3

Found you!  I hope you've had more encouraging news from Florida folks.  Such a tragedy, but houses can be replaced.  I'm glad it sounds like everyone is safe.  

Following!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Agnarr said:

Looking forward to the race write up.

Following!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the time when the race is in the past and I can stop fretting about it :P

14 hours ago, Xena said:

Exactly right. Sounds like we are in the same boat on this one. This is pretty much the magic racing season. You gotta take advantage.

Right. If I really end up doing all the things in my potential calender (I've got another OCR and a 10 mile mud run both in my maybe list) I won't have to worry about training at all :D Either way I don't have time between events to do an actual training block so I'm just going to enjoy the magical race season!

2 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Inspiring as always brother! So much so, that I'm adding running back into my life lol.

Good for you, brother! One day. Some how, some way, we are going to run some crazy event together :D

30 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Found you!  I hope you've had more encouraging news from Florida folks.  Such a tragedy, but houses can be replaced.  I'm glad it sounds like everyone is safe.  

Hi! Thanks for the thought. I've not had any news since yesterday. The last piece of information I got was that they were seeing power outages :( but I'm happy to say that all of the people are safe and sound. That is very much the main thing. I'm very relieved that everyone decided to go somewhere safe. My wife's aunt and uncle have had some major damage to their house but nobody has been able to go and see exactly what that is yet. At least not when I spoke to them yesterday.

55 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Thinking of you today Jon! Have an amazing day x

Thanks! It's been a pretty good day so far.

• Like 2

Very excited to hear about you taming the Beast at the end of the month. Despite going crazy in my corner of the world I've decided that I'm probably going to try for the Spartan Trifecta next year and the Beast terrifies me

• Like 1