Funny How These Things Work Out

Mike_d85

Nutrition

Cannibal-Women-3.png

This seems wrong.  I feel like somehow the cart got in front of the horse?  Or maybe on top?  I need to get a plan in place for my meals and I need work my plan.  I don’t feel like I’ve developed any bad habits, but I’m not actively controlling what I’m doing anymore either.  Eating out of habit is how you get into bad habits, plus it’s kinda boring.  I need to re-evaluate how many calories I’m eating and make sure I’m getting enough.  On 9/7 I woke up feeling awful and stayed that way until dinner the next night.  I can’t help but wonder if it was a lack of protein from eating a pescetarian lunch all week (2 servings of tuna and 3.5 servings of chick peas spread across 5 days).

Exercise

v0slzz9.gif

I got a little out of habit.  The past few weeks I’ve gotten back into a weightlifting habit, but not really back on my running.  I also want my Saturday long runs back.  Half marathon or bust!  I want to get to the gym and lift 5 days a week (taking some fiddling with the new commute) and run at least 4 days a week.

Music

f9268d38b560287a548e0222a1606040--jim-he

I have been trying to re-learn/learn guitar over the past month or two.  I’ve picked up a few chords but I’m stuck with mostly the old songs and basic campfire strumming.  All I ever knew was some basic songs on acoustic and I don’t want to be stuck in the same boring rut.  This challenge I want to work on music theory and scales which means reading my theory book and practicing my scales at least 3 times a week.  In upcoming challenges I’m going to start fiddling with different styles of music to see what I like playing and what sticks.

Spanish

Three-Amigos-origianl.jpg

I’ve been working on this for a while.  I try to do duolingo daily (I love the new bot upgrade!).  I want to try and get into some kind of Spanish media.  I’ve tried a few news podcasts and flipping on the Spanish language channel, but I can’t get into something.  I need to find a castellan anime studio or a Chilean movie studio or a Colombian youtube channel or something.   Suggestions welcome.  Possibly encouraged.  Maybe desperately needed.

My ideal week:

Mon: Lift, Run

Tue: Lift, Guitar

Wed: Lift, Run

Thur: Lift, Run, Meal Plan

Fri: Lift, Guitar

Sat: Long Run, Nap, Guitar, Shopping

Sunday: Church, Food Prep, Spanish Something or Other

• Like 1

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

Week 0 progress:

I don't have a plan for next week yet.  My wife ordered meat from a coop and I had to wait for it to arrive today before we planned our foods next week.  I will be plugging the nutrition into my calorie/Macro calculator as we figure out the grocery list for next week.

I worked out fine this week.  I missed 1 run due to a thunderstorm blowing in (can't really help that) and one weightlifting session because I gave blood the previous day (don't feel like risking that).

I have completely ignored my guitar.  No excuses, I just watched Supernatural and Gotham instead. 

I tried looking for animation in Spanish on Netflix, but I can't figure out how to work the internet in Spanish.  I keep getting lists of animated shows translated into Spanish in other countries (and presumably I can set my Netflix account to Spanish somehow).  I get a TV antenna with gusto tomorrow so maybe I can pick up all the Spanish channels and find something I like that way.  I could only get Telo Novellos (soap operas), variety shows, and Cuban C-Span before.

My Battle Log 

Looks like a great plan! Do you have a half-marathon picked out already?

• Like 1

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

4 minutes ago, theophilus said:

Looks like a great plan! Do you have a half-marathon picked out already?

Not really.  I might do the Cambridge Half marathon in November and try to make it a tradition.  I was in the inaugural race and I did like going to a distance race that didn't involve booking a hotel room.

My Battle Log 

I used to play a-little guitar, and may have to incorporate it into one of my challenges.  Blue's scale's are easy to learn and you will enjoy being able to do them.  They also can be applied other styles of music, and make you sound a-lot better than you are.  Good luck on your challenge, and  keep at the music.  The world needs more guitarists.  

On 9/16/2017 at 1:29 PM, Baldilocks said:

I used to play a-little guitar, and may have to incorporate it into one of my challenges.  Blue's scale's are easy to learn and you will enjoy being able to do them.  They also can be applied other styles of music, and make you sound a-lot better than you are.  Good luck on your challenge, and  keep at the music.  The world needs more guitarists.  

Thanks.  Right now I'm trying to get the standard scales (major, minor and pentatonics) and read through a music theory book just to get the basic concept of scales and structures down.  I'm thinking that I will try to learn a different genre per challenge for the next few challenges maybe?  I grew up listening to blues and bluegrass so those two are probably pretty early on in the list.

My Battle Log 

Traveling for one day has kicked my butt for 3.  Stupid Indiana. 

I worked out at home Monday to spend a little extra time with the wife and dog, then my flight got delayed so I didn't get into Indianapolis until midnight.  Asleep around 1am.  Awake at 5:30 and managed a short run (20 minutes) on the tread mill downstairs before spending all day walking through a warehouse (about 3 miles) and flying back last night.  Food not awful, but way way too many carbs.  An omlette for breakfast w/homefries, 2 Udi's frozen pasta dinners, jerky, and a cup of trail mix.  I got home around 8:30, ate macaroni and cheese with some chicken and broccoli in it and a cookie.  I meant to go to the gym this morning but missed my train so I did some pullups in the basement and that's about it for back day.  Rain all day so unlikely to get a run in tonight.

My Battle Log 

Week 1 recap:

Nutrition: Made a plan, completely missed the fact that I would be traveling for a day and in meetings during lunch for three days so the plan was thrown out the window.  I need to set up my plan for next week tonight so I have time to adjust and make sure I eat enough and in proportion.  I also need to re-evaluate the calories I need to injest.

Exercise: Mostly working out at home this week and not enough running.  I did get two days at home, two proper days in the weight room and a tread mill run.  I am doing a long run tomorrow morning.

Music: I got two nights of practice done.  I might be able to get some more practice in on Sunday.

Spanish: I checked on books.  It did not go particularly well.  I am now fairly convinced that the reason I can't find any media originally written in Spanish is because it doesn't exist.  The list of libros para adulto juevos I found reccommended The Hunger Games trilogy, Cather in the Rye, Harry Potter (only #1 though...), the Hunger Games knockoff I recognize from the grocery store, and a handful of books by an author I don't know named John Green. 

As I wrote this: Maybe if I search for movies made in Argentina.  Ok, history of Argentenian film that's kinda neat *click*.  Films produced in Argentina in the 2000's, okay *click*.  Oh, DAMN IT.

My Battle Log 

Week 2 recap:

Nutrition: I made a meal plan while I made the grocery list and I stuck to it.  As a side note: last night I had the most delicious smoked pork I've ever eaten courtesy of my wife tending the grill while I prepped my lunches for the week.  Shazam.

Excercise: Thanks to the new pup, my exercise got flipped and now I'm running 5k a day whether I want to or not (coonhounds have a crapton of energy) and I elected to skip weight training to help my wife get into the morning routine with the new dog.

Music: None.  Hopefully I can get things to settle down and play some this week.

Spanish: Still keeping up with the dual lingo, but I can't find squat for original media still.  I guess I'll just watch Narcos and assume all hispanic peoples are drug running psychopaths.  Estamos es tu imagen, America del Sur.

My Battle Log 

On 9/22/2017 at 10:27 PM, Mike_d85 said:

Spanish: I checked on books.  It did not go particularly well.  I am now fairly convinced that the reason I can't find any media originally written in Spanish is because it doesn't exist.  The list of libros para adulto juevos I found reccommended The Hunger Games trilogy, Cather in the Rye, Harry Potter (only #1 though...), the Hunger Games knockoff I recognize from the grocery store, and a handful of books by an author I don't know named John Green. 

Not exactly in the young adult novel category, but what about Pablo Neruda's poetry? He's practically a Chilean hero, plus many of his poems are pages long.  I wish I could understand Spanish well enough to read his works in the original language... 

(P.S. John Green's works would probably be pretty good in Spanish ^_^)

• Like 1
On 10/3/2017 at 4:38 AM, Fuji_fox said:

Not exactly in the young adult novel category, but what about Pablo Neruda's poetry?

I looked at young adult because I assumed it would avoid any complicated prose or overly deep use of the Spanish language that wouldn't translate culturally.  So... poetry... um.

I will try to find something from Pablo Neruda if for no other reason than he's the second Spanish language author of note I've ever heard anything about (Miguel de Cervantes is the other).  I think my problem arises from the fact that "Spanish language" is so broad that I can't find anything.  Searching for Argentinean film gave me a clear breakdown of the film industry in Argentina, directors and films of note, and even lists of films released. 

• Like 1

My Battle Log 

Week 3 recap:

Nutrition: Out of the park, perfect.  Hitting all my goals this week and planned before shopping.

Excercise: Switched to 3 days a week weightlifting because running 5 days a weeks is wearing me way, way down.  Did a trail run on Saturday that screwed up my mileage, but felt great.

Music: Still no.  Running the dog in the evening kills all the time I could practice guitar.  With the neighbors' child next door I can't just strum away at 8:30 0r 9:00 without making a baby cry.  That seems like a negative...

Spanish:  I watched some Spanish TV, but nothing was particularly good.

• Like 1

My Battle Log