Snarkyfishguts Has some Sock! Pow! Bang!

Snarkyfishguts

1 minute ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Thank you Shello!!! 

What you said was perfect. 

I've thought about seeking some help, but I can't really afford it. All my mental health care is covered after the deductible on my plan, and I have a big deductible. But I am thinking a part time job is a good idea. The library is hiring a clerk for 10-12 hours a week, and it may just be perfect if they hire me. It's literally right down the street so it wouldn't be a pain to get to, I'd be more involved in the community, And get out of the house a little bit :) 

That insurance plan sucks.  Insurance companies/employers/whoever is in charge grossly underestimates the importance of mental health.

I think the library sounds like a great idea.  Could you walk there even?  That would be an added bonus.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

I think the job in the library sounds like a great idea. I am sorry things aren't great for you and your family but they're very lucky to have you as a daughter. 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

The library job sounds great! 

I'm sorry to hear about your dad :( 

Spoiler

One of my uncles has gone through a similar experience to your dad, and he's been attending this group workshop? session? support  group? thing that meets, I think, weekly, to provide support and teach people how to use a cane and make other adaptations in their lives. It seems to have really helped him adapt to the loss of his vision. If your dad isn't already going to something like that, maybe you could check if there's something available where you are for your dad? A quick google brought up quite a few different groups that do that sort of thing. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, deftona said:

I think the job in the library sounds like a great idea. I am sorry things aren't great for you and your family but they're very lucky to have you as a daughter. 

Thank you Deffy! Things will get better as we adapt. I think because it's progressive, it's frustrating because we adjust and then the floor drops again.

16 hours ago, LadyShello said:

That insurance plan sucks.  Insurance companies/employers/whoever is in charge grossly underestimates the importance of mental health.

I think the library sounds like a great idea.  Could you walk there even?  That would be an added bonus.  

Isn't that the truth. I had a job once that paid for 56 mental health sessions a year. 56! I did utilize that benefit, because I knew that it was a unicorn of health care. 

10 hours ago, maegs said:

The library job sounds great! 

I'm sorry to hear about your dad :( 

Reveal hidden contents

One of my uncles has gone through a similar experience to your dad, and he's been attending this group workshop? session? support  group? thing that meets, I think, weekly, to provide support and teach people how to use a cane and make other adaptations in their lives. It seems to have really helped him adapt to the loss of his vision. If your dad isn't already going to something like that, maybe you could check if there's something available where you are for your dad? A quick google brought up quite a few different groups that do that sort of thing. 

That is an excellent suggestion. My dad isn't ready for that though. He turns prune-faced if we bring it up. So we just remind him it's available if he decides to go for it, and we'll get them there without judgment. I might bring it up again though. heeheeheehee

• Like 1

Thank you for letting me share what's going on in my life, y'all. I feel a lot better having felt like I could vent it out and be heard. I am so grateful to have such a supportive group of friends. 

The sun is shining and it's a new day!  My brother and his family are coming over to show us his new car! We're really happy for him, because the old car he was driving was a death trap, so it's really nice to know he won't explode on the way to work. 

I have decided to apply for the library job! Fingers crossed that I get it! I have to get some clearances online this weekend, and then I'll apply for it. :) 

• Like 7

Happy First Day of the Month, everyone!

I love Sundays. I love the quiet pace of it, and just catching up on some adult-ing. Today I unsubscribed from several online services that I don't use. I also reorganized my budget, and I think I'm going to be able to save a little more each month than I thought now, so that's really encouraging for Future Me.  It feels good to take charge of these little dusty corners of my life.

How am I an idiot today? Well, I had this idea. I wanted to go buy some junk food, and I said "Hey, no way" but then I had my keys in hand and I thought "I'm gonna go."

So I took a shot of vodka. I'm not driving and drinking. So the urge to go to the store passed, and I was only 84 calories poorer for it. And I thought "This was a flawed plan."

And then I found the brownie mix. 

So.... brownies are in the oven. I'm sobering up, and I thought "I should've just put on my hygge pants. I wouldn't be caught dead outside in my wonderful, wonderful, hygge pants."

And..... brownies will go into the freezer. :) 

YES I AM AN ADULT. :D:D:D 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Sometimes, our failover plans aren't perfect.  But you found a failover plan and a way to make it work.  Life has never been perfect, it is just what we make it.  And you made it work in your own way.  I'm not an advocate of shooting vodka to keep from going to the store, but you made some choices to come out ahead and that is that.  Mostly because I don't do shots and I'd end up sipping vodka for the rest of the night, which is my own fault.  That you made brownies and then reset and took control was filled with win. 

Hygge pants?  What are they?  Google!

Hygge (hoo-guh) [n. Danish] Coziness; enjoying life's simple pleasures. Friends. Hugs. Candlelight. A warm fire, a comfy blanket, a steaming mug of tea, and a good book. Wearing pajamas all day. Being kind and indulgent to yourself and others. It's all hygge.

Yeah, I'd wear them outside, but I am utterly unimpressed by other people's opinions.  However, if it helps you to not wear them outside, then I stand with you!

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 2
11 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

There are worse ways to spend a Sunday. :)

Truly, there are. The brownies ended up being shared with the garbage disposal, after my third helping. Today, I have a strange craving for vegetables. :D

10 hours ago, Murphy's Roommate said:

Sometimes, our failover plans aren't perfect.  But you found a failover plan and a way to make it work.  Life has never been perfect, it is just what we make it.  And you made it work in your own way.  I'm not an advocate of shooting vodka to keep from going to the store, but you made some choices to come out ahead and that is that.  Mostly because I don't do shots and I'd end up sipping vodka for the rest of the night, which is my own fault.  That you made brownies and then reset and took control was filled with win. 

Hygge pants?  What are they?  Google!

Hygge (hoo-guh) [n. Danish] Coziness; enjoying life's simple pleasures. Friends. Hugs. Candlelight. A warm fire, a comfy blanket, a steaming mug of tea, and a good book. Wearing pajamas all day. Being kind and indulgent to yourself and others. It's all hygge.

Yeah, I'd wear them outside, but I am utterly unimpressed by other people's opinions.  However, if it helps you to not wear them outside, then I stand with you!

- Murphy's Roommate

Yup. Terah taught us about hygge and I try to keep Sundays for it.

yeah, I don't recommend alcohol for solving problems, but y'know, it was a lot of fun to try. I have a low tolerance, so one drink is good for the night with me. Hangovers just aren't worth it. Blah :) 

6 hours ago, deftona said:

That's..... 

Kinda genius. 

Right? If I didn't have a brownie mix in the house, it would've worked beautifully!!  I can't do that all the time though, my guts would hate me. But it was fun!

• Like 3

You certainly are creative.  ;) 

• Like 1

Spoiler

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

I couldn't sleep last night.  Basically my crazy uncle keeps arguing with my crazy SiL and I keep saying "Look, we're family, KNOCK IT OFF" Especially to her, I said "Remember he comes to visit ME when he comes home for holidays. Do not start this crap with him. I have to deal with it later!"

Sigh. So I was awake in the middle of the night with a stress stomach ache, reminding me that I need to take care of myself. I mean how long have I been here... Wait a moment, I think it's been 4 years. No... really? I gotta double check that. OH MY GOSH. I joined Nerdfitness in December 2013!! I remember that was after I gained weight back after my cousin's wedding when everyone kept saying "How does it feel being single at your younger cousin's wedding?" .. WHO SAYS THAT?! and I was hoping to lose weight and take care of myself and y'know, it's taken me 4 years, but I'm finally done putting my family first. I'm not their mother, I'm not responsible for them. I can love them and be there for them after I've taken care of myself. I've put off my business, my health, my social life to accommodate my family, and I'm done! I'm not losing one more night of sleep over them, and I'm not losing one more day being exhausted as a result of neglecting my well-being.

4 years. I mean, it's been going on longer than that, but 4 years I've been here.  HOLY FRIDGENUTS. *deep breath* Okay it's almost noon. So I'm going to spend the afternoon taking charge of my life, and then tonight I'm going to relax by catching up on NF threads and knitting. :)  I might swear a lot too. 

I AM swearing a lot.

:D okay, time to get into action. See you later today! Have a kick ass day, okay?! YOU GOT THIS!

• Like 6

So today I applied for the job, scheduled a hair appointment, bought some nicer clothes for an interview and just going out since I outgrew my other non-yoga pant clothes, and as promised, am relaxing this evening. My grandfather called me to ask me to visit with pie and my ukulele. I'm going tomorrow after my haircut. I'll have all day to get my stuff done, and then the evening is for him. It's all so reasonable. 

I'm really, really tired, and I think I just need a good night's sleep. so I think I'm going to just take a warm bath, read a book and go to bed early. 

• Like 3

I'm wearing compression socks today. It's hot here again, and my legs are poofy and aching. I hate wearing them, especially in the heat, but already my legs feel better. 

I ordered the body boss guide today. Online and print copy. It's a series of exercises and the program is for 12 weeks. Plus a 4 week pre-training program, and it was only 65 bucks, which is the price I paid for my fat pants yesterday. I thought: I don't need another program. I have NF, and I know how to exercise and lose weight. I know how to eat right, and I know I am capable of buying ice cream and not eating it all over three days. Then I caught unspoken "should" in that line of thinking. "I know how to do this and I should be able to do it this way." 

What would I say to one of my friends, if they were in my shoes? 

"It's not about what it should be, but about how it is. Things are stressful and sad right now, and it's okay to be human and want to eat ice cream and chips and hide in bed. If you need a day by day exercise  guide to get through the next few months, that's okay. If you need to say "I just can't have junk food in the house right now, it's distracting me from my healthy eating goals" that's okay. Accepting today's limitations is not conceding failure, it's planning an alternate route to success. 

The guide starts on a Monday, so my plan is to start today, and then repeat pre-training week 1 next week. I've thrown out all my junk food.  I'm gonna cook some delicious food today, and work in getting back to a low sugar diet. Not like a Diet, just a healthy way of eating that doesn't make me feel crappy in the morning.

now I'm just procrastinating. Okay, dang it. See you later, I will have a good report for you!  

• Like 4
23 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Sigh. So I was awake in the middle of the night with a stress stomach ache, reminding me that I need to take care of myself. I mean how long have I been here... Wait a moment, I think it's been 4 years. No... really? I gotta double check that. OH MY GOSH. I joined Nerdfitness in December 2013!! I remember that was after I gained weight back after my cousin's wedding when everyone kept saying "How does it feel being single at your younger cousin's wedding?" .. WHO SAYS THAT?! and I was hoping to lose weight and take care of myself and y'know, it's taken me 4 years, but I'm finally done putting my family first. I'm not their mother, I'm not responsible for them. I can love them and be there for them after I've taken care of myself. I've put off my business, my health, my social life to accommodate my family, and I'm done! I'm not losing one more night of sleep over them, and I'm not losing one more day being exhausted as a result of neglecting my well-being.

You go girl! 

Related image

50 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

What would I say to one of my friends, if they were in my shoes? 

"It's not about what it should be, but about how it is. Things are stressful and sad right now, and it's okay to be human and want to eat ice cream and chips and hide in bed. If you need a day by day exercise  guide to get through the next few months, that's okay. If you need to say "I just can't have junk food in the house right now, it's distracting me from my healthy eating goals" that's okay. Accepting today's limitations is not conceding failure, it's planning an alternate route to success. 

The guide starts on a Monday, so my plan is to start today, and then repeat pre-training week 1 next week. I've thrown out all my junk food.  I'm gonna cook some delicious food today, and work in getting back to a low sugar diet. Not like a Diet, just a healthy way of eating that doesn't make me feel crappy in the morning.

now I'm just procrastinating. Okay, dang it. See you later, I will have a good report for you!  

Don't they say the best workout plan is the one that works for you?  Or something like that...  If this is what you need right now, go for it..  But then, you already said that. :D  I'm just here for backup.  You got this! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

I have a job interview on Monday at the library! After talking with the librarian herself, I feel a lot better about applying for the job. She sounds friendly and intelligent, much more so than the woman who took my application. Woooo! I need to get my fingerprinting clearance completed....at UPS. Isn't that odd? UPS store does fingerprinting. Weird, weird, weird. I'm going to go tomorrow and get it done, and then buy some shoes for my interview. I realized all my black shoes are pretty athletic, so a pair of sensible, dressier shoes would be good. I'm shopping with the attitude of "These could be work clothes, and also fall clothes!" So if I don't get the job, I won't be stuck with useless clothes. 

I also found a full time job in the nearby town at the community college's registrar's office. I'd rather get a part-time job, but if I don't get the library job, I'll apply for this one. It'll mean I have to really use my free time for illustration and losing weight, but I would be earning enough money to save up for an apartment or small house. I'm not sure if moving out is really going to fix anything in my life, but I have to keep in mind that I'll be 40 in three years and I think I don't want to be living with my parents when that birthday hits. :)  BUT maybe I'll get more illustration work too. We'll see. I'm not giving up.

• Like 3

Congrats on getting the interview - it sounds like exciting and positive things are happening in Camp Snarky right now and I will keep my fingers crossed for you on Monday! 

Also, why do you need to get your fingerprints done? I am confused. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deftona said:

Congrats on getting the interview - it sounds like exciting and positive things are happening in Camp Snarky right now and I will keep my fingers crossed for you on Monday! 

Also, why do you need to get your fingerprints done? I am confused. 

Because working at a library means contact with children. So I had to get my criminal record clearance, my child abuse clearance, and the fingerprinting clearance to show there's no record anywhere that I could be Creepy and Dangerous.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Because working at a library means contact with children. So I had to get my criminal record clearance, my child abuse clearance, and the fingerprinting clearance to show there's no record anywhere that I could be Creepy and Dangerous.

Ah, I see! We have similar measures here but it doesn't include fingerprints so that confused me but now I understand :) 

• Like 1

Hi all! I hope you are having a good weekend. 

Right now, I am all ready for my interview tomorrow. I just need to shower and fix my hair in the morning.  It I have my questions ready, and my interview outfit is pressed and hanging. 

My grandfather went into the hospital a couple days ago. They can’t find anything wrong with him, but they did give him an antibiotic and that helped. So something was infected. He has advanced Parkinson’s and we’re at a difficult point between making sure he has good care but not to the extent that it becomes horrible for him. To maintain a quality of life where he isn’t suffering from too much sickness or healthcare. Does that make sense?  I find mortality is everywhere these days. I don’t like the constant reminders. 

Tomorrow, I am going to start the pre-training workout for Boss Body. I have the online guide to follow and then the physical copy arrives Friday. I’m going to try to stick to the schedule provided, unless one week kicks my butt, then I might repeat it.

This challenge is a learning experience. I don’t like hot weather. I let my grief over some of my family members progressive disabilities keep me from taking care of myself. I overcompensate for feeling like a failure by doing too much for other people.  I have really pretty hair.  It takes six months to see a good dermatologist in this city. Coffee is a social beverage for me. Finished is better than perfect. I keep thinking I can nap my way to healthy. :) 

• Like 5