Hey!

My names Blethan, and unfortunely you've wandered into what is likely to be a sea of my ramblings.

I was a NF member many moons ago, but unfortunately the real world hit me hard after graduating Uni, and things have started slip.

So now I'm back!

GOAL UPDATE 22.10.17:

Look Good!
Lose 8lbs. 

-I've calculated that I currently have a body fat percentage of 27%. I would like this to drop to 21 % (I'm pretty new to this, so let me know if this is ridiculous). With these percentages I'm currently carrying 37.5 lbs of fat and need to lose 8.3 lbs of fat to reach this goal. 
To do this I need to;
-Eat healthy, cut down junk food, cake, over-eating
-Get exercising, increase my cardio workouts
-Start strength training 

Feel good!
Get my sh*t together
To do this I need;
-A system of scheduling that works for me
-Daily reading / meditating 
-Keep my house clean and uncluttered.

Get Proud, Productive and Creative!
Create Portfolio

-I want to create a storyboarding and concept art portfolio to further my career. I have a fair base of work behind me in animation, but I want to explore opportunities in a new direction. 
To do this I need to;
-Complete storyboarding course
-Create 2 storyboards (one short animation, one scenes from a longer script) 
-Complete x2 commissions a month 

I want to look good.
I want to feel good.
I want to be proud, productive and creative!

Spoiler

And ready as ever to get focused on my goals. 

In a nut shell, I want to be happy and healthy.

More specifically;

• I'd like to focus on losing weight, but also becoming stronger (I've always been pretty weak in my upper body)
  • Mentally, creating more positive attitude towards exercise and healthy eating, meditation and mindfulness.
  • Personally, working towards my big 'personal goal', involving building a strong and progressive work ethic.

Why?

Physically

• I want to feel healthy (not like I'm going to die if I run to the end of my street)
  • I want to take on bigger adventures (hikes, bike rides, kayaking camping trips!)
  • I want to look DAMN GOOD doing it all (not that I have a particularly negative body image, I love my meat bag I'm in, I just know I can make it even better!)

Mentally

• I get 'into a rut' fairly easily, and I think that being more aware and taking action to prevent this will help in the future!

Personally

• I've got some big goals here, work orientated more than anything, but this is something I will return to. I need to formulate some sort of plan, which is going to require some amount of brain power!

How?

This is the bit I'm here to work out! This is were I need to do my research, and hopefully get some help from this wonderful community (or at least trick myself into some sort of accountability XD) 

So, read my ramblings, or not, or just say hi, or answer some of the random questions that I'm bound to ask, and I'll be very VERY grateful!

• Like 1

-Rebel-

4WC 2019 : 2.7.2

“Get a dream, hold on to it and shoot for the sky.” 

-- Dusty Rhodes

I've spent the last week tracking my food, and trying to make sure I try to walk more. I recently was given a Fitbit (as a birthday present at the beginning of this month!) and was shocked that I was really REALLY lazy when it came to walking. Well, not that shocked. I drove to work, sat down the whole day (other than walking across the room to make a cup of coffee from time to time), drove home, then played games, watched TV and drew... all pretty sedentary activities. 

So, I made a few small changes. I started walking everyday, either in my lunch or after work (aiming for 8000 steps a day), and started logging my food and swapping out carb heavy foods for vegetables.

I'm pretty savvy(ish) when it comes to food. I've done lots of reading and understand the basic idea of healthy eating, I just need to try and make these ideas more central to my life. Sounds easy, right? 

Yet another reason why I'm here!

Anyway, as my daily update:

Healthy eating:

Had a pretty unhealthy day, with a slice of peanut butter cake (admittedly it was good) and cheese, bread and prosecco for lunch (my work like to treat us XD god-damn it!). Chilli for tea was also amazing, but considerably more healthy than my other meals.

Activity:

I went for a 2 mile run, it took me just under 30 mins (including walking warm-up and cool down). Couldn't run solid, and had to walk a few times to catch my breath. I tend to bomb it and wear myself out quickly, rather than keeping a decent pace... this is one thing to work on.

Mind:

Did some yoga after the run. I forgot how much I enjoyed yoga! I felt great afterwards. This is exactly what I'm looking for! That feeling that you're heading the right way.

Personal:

Managed to get a bit of time after all this to work on a commission I've recently got. Again, step the right way. I'm aiming to build more personal work time into my day, but this is a start.

Until tomorrow!

P.S -  I love my workout outfit! What do you guys wear? I tend to hate 'gym wear'... I've not yet got the figure to comfortably wear most of it, and why does everything have neon stripes? But a winter soldier top and steam punk leggings will do me just fine!

IMG_2283.JPG

-Rebel-

-- Dusty Rhodes

Update No. 2

I woke up earlier than normal today, and went for a morning walk/run!

This is a reasonably big achievement for me (I have an alarm where I have to go to another room and scan a barcode in order to turn it off, but still find myself back in bed!)

I started by just telling myself I'd go for a walk, but once I was outside (and it really was a lovely morning, Autumn is great!) I felt more energised and decided to run. 

Also, it helped that I had laid out all my workout clothes (including pants) the night before, in the bathroom, so when I got up to scan my alarm, everything I need would be right there without me having to go back to the bedroom, where a toasty bed is just too much to resist.

I did plan to start strength workouts today, but found myself really tired after work, so used that time instead to fill out my prep sheet for the upcoming 4-week challenge, which Im really excited for!

Overview:

Healthy Eating:

Had a protein shake for breakfast, not ideal but good choice.

Chicken salas for lunch

Handful of raisins as a mid afternoon pick-me-up

Homemade lean chilli and whole grain rice for tea

Activity:

20 mins walk/run this morning

Walk with he dog at lunch

8,000 steps (yay!)

Mind:

Spent a good hour or so filling out challenge sheet. I feel better for thouroughly thinking and planning my long-term goals

Personal:

Decided not to work on anything today. Very tired and though I've still got a lot to do, I don't want to burn out.

Can anybody recommend some good challenge logs to look at? I'd love to see other peoples approaches and goals! If you know any particularly inspiring ones, let me know!

Over and Out!

-Rebel-

-- Dusty Rhodes

Update No. 3

Ooo its been a busy day today! I stayed in bed until the last possible moment, couldn't escape the toastiness, which unfortunately derailed my plan to do a body weight workout this morning (I knew it would be my only available time...). Then a busy day in work, but managed to take 5 to walk round the shop (getting them steps in!)

My evening was spent working on a commission I had to finish today, and also a trip to the cinema, which is handy as its just over a mile from where I live, so gives me a great chance to get some extra walking squeezed into my day. 

Overview:

Healthy Eating:

Had a bowl of oatibix cereal, not ideal but better than nothing

Lunch was a wrap with bean burger, salad and some yogurt mint slaw, which was actually pretty healthy as it was light on the sauce.

Dinner was steak 'fajitas' (where I swap out the wraps for romaine lettuce leafs, giving me a nice little wrap without all the carbs)

Someone in work brought im Yum Yums and I just couldn't resist, but because of this I made sure not to buy any snacks at the cinema too.

Activity:

9,200 steps (above my 8,000 goal)

Mind:

Not really taken time to focus on this, but I'm still feeling pretty positive.

Personal:

Feeling good for finally finishing a commission (I've only recently been taking them, so its still pretty new for me)

Its a late one today, I'm usually snoring by now!

Until tomorrow!

-Rebel-

-- Dusty Rhodes

Update No. 4

Another busy work day, but also today signals my first full week of tracking my food, and making active, healthy decisions!

Lots of work on, but I made sure to take some time after work for Pamper Thursday (where I treat myself to a face mask and all my nice smellies :D)

I started the body weight workout today. I only did one circuit to start, and did half push-ups rather than full ones. I really struggle with push-ups. I genuinely don't know whether I'm doing them wrong or im actually the weakest person on earth? Either way, I guess I can make that a goal of mine for the future.

Overview

Healthy Eating:

Overnight Oats for breakfast , with blueberries, strawberries, cinnamon and a teaspoon of honey (yum!)

Hummus, carrot, cucumber and a whole wheat wrap for lunch

A banana as a snack

Dinner was left over steak Fajitas.

Also have been drinking green tea more, swapping coffee for it.

Activity:

6,600 steps 

Body weight workout (1 circuit)

Mind:

Had a little pamper sesh, and chilled out with some Crochet and my fave TV shows... feeling good.

Personal:

Taking the day off, chill time is important too!

Thats all for today. Yay for Friday tomorrow! Also its burger day (though I'll be making a few swaps so it's healthy, but still a treat!)

-Rebel-

-- Dusty Rhodes

Update No. 5

Another busy day, but at least it's FRIDAY! YAY!

Did manage to resist Friday temptations in work (there was cider... Ooo tasty cider)

I've got the aches from working out yesterday, so day off today. Having burger Friday, but avoiding the buns and bad stuff to try and keep it healthish.

Overview

Healthy Eating:

Bowl of strawberries for breakfast

Lunch was a chicken wrap with hummus, salad and cucumber

Dinner is three chilli burger, sweet potatoe fries, salad, bit of smoked cheese, and onion rings.

Activity:

5,000 steps

Mind:

Started a bullet journal after reading about it yesterday, hopefully will help clear my mind and get organised.

Personal:

Chill time again, got some time scheduled tomorrow for working on another commission!

TTFN

-Rebel-

-- Dusty Rhodes

8 hours ago, Blethan said:

In order to not swamp myself, I'll be posting daily update ther, with a weekly review here. Then a BIG follow-up review after!

This is very smart! I think I've had 3 Battle Logs over my years here and always got overwhelmed between both the BL and the challenge. I'm trying one again but different then my previous ones. Haha.

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Challenge 1 Over view:

Score: 48% Completed

I thought I'd set reasonable, attainable goals... and to many people that would've been true. 

However, I have discovered my weaknesses; work snacks and tiredness/illness.

Work snacks:

I just can't say no. But I have gotten better. A few times (including today) I managed to say no altogether, and at least on the days where I have had a slice of cake, I have managed not to go back for seconds (*thirds...*). Also, in the last week two of my colllegues had gone on a cold-turkey sugar detox. This seems a bit crazy to me, only because I know cold turkey just doesn't work for me, but it does mean there are people around me that are actively trying to be healthier in the work place. I'm even helping them out by making a totally fruit birthday cake for ones birthday! OK, full of sugar, but its natural, and much better than cake. 

Tiredness/Illness:

I'm not really sure what happened to me this month. I was ill a few times, and got tired a lot. It may have to do with the changing weather as we go into winter... boo. Also work has been pretty heavy, which wears me out a lot. Either way, I think the best way to counter this is to make sure I'm looking after myself. Getting the right vitamins I need, not drinking excessive amounts, getting enough sleep... all the stuff you should be doing!

So, I'm going to take a week to think and reflect, I tracked everything really well so that helps a lot. I plan to refine my system of tracking (and adding more incentives). I think my goals will need tweaking slightly, but the aim of the game will be to beat the last challenges score!

I'm going to continue to eat healthy this week (I have already planned and prepped my meals) as I don't want to ruin the little. Bit of good I've done so far. 

• Like 1

-Rebel-

-- Dusty Rhodes

Big news guys! 

I've joined the academy!

With the holiday season coming, I'm fearing the worse, but the winter survival kit just struck the right cord with me. And boom! Here I am, putting my money where my mouth is, literally!

I've spent the last three days using every spare minute to read through it all (there's a lot there!), and heres to a big adventure!

I'm taking it slow, taking in all the info and formulating a battle plan for the holidays! But yeh, excited!!!

• Like 1

-Rebel-

-- Dusty Rhodes

A little side note :
I've just meditated for the first time in maybe a year. Also I practiced proper sitting (using nerd Fitness yoga tips!) and was shocked to notice just how difficult I found sitting straight! My spine felt really stretched, my lower back felt a small ache, and I even noticed a twinge in my shoulder that I thought had gone away days ago. It showed me how disconnected I am to my body. I think that in the next challenge I will be focusing on meditation and/or posture as at least one of my challenges.

-Rebel-

-- Dusty Rhodes

Today I really REALLY didn't want to get up before 7.30... but then I thought about the streak I've got going... and loot. 

Then I REALLY REALLY didn't want to go walking in the dark, cold rain... But then I thought and my streak... and loot!

Ahha!

What I'm trying to say is, today I could've very easily convinced myself to 'take a day off'. I'm very good an convincing when it comes to myself. But it turns out that I genuinely cared more about the streak of days I've 'Won' and how I actually knew I'd kick myself if I broke them. Which is pretty cool. Its a first for me anyway. 

Also did my second NF yoga session today... and was actually shaking my the end few poses. I'm pretty achy from yesterdays academy WO, and also yoga ain' as easy as it looks! 

Tomorrow's gunna be a tough one. I'm visiting friends in another city, so there will be lots of eating and drinking. As long as I have a plan of attack I'll be fine!

-Rebel-

-- Dusty Rhodes

HAPPY 2018!

Time for a reboot after being AWOL over the holidays...

I'll be respawning my Academy character ready for a big year of challenges ahead of me! 

I've started my first 4-week challenge (which you can find HERE)

I'll be updating here Weekly, and my challenge Daily. 

-Rebel-

-- Dusty Rhodes