Starpuck, puck, puck, puck, puck...

Starpuck

tenor.gif

21cf1qsjpg.gif

So, true story - I chose the name Starpuck because...   Well it started with an RPG game.   (Shocking, I know.)   We were just about to start playing Rogue Trader; a FFG set in the Warhammer 40k Universe, and I had chosen the career of Voidmaster.   Basically, the ship's pilot.   Now I had not seen BSG at this point (and I think we played this game back in 2012) and I was asking friends for suggestions on strong female sci-fi characters.   Kara Thrace came up as one of them and I checked out this awesome video of her.   I fell in love instantly and realized this was the perfect inspiration.

Fast forward a few months and I come across Nerd Fitness.  [After one of my hockey teammates wouldn't stop forcing the Cross-fit Koolaid down our throats, I looked up 'nerd fitness' just as a random google search and found one of the stories Steve shared about a nerd just getting healthy.   I quickly countered her 'only Cross-fit works' propaganda with, "Or ya know, anything that helps you eat healthy, move more and focus on life long maintainable routines."]    I decided then and there that this Nerd Fitness site was like MADE FOR ME!     But, I needed a name!   A cool name... one that was equally nerdy and sporty, and totally bad ass...

And thus... Starpuck was born!

367A8971-XL.jpg

As you can see in this picture, I was much 'softer' at this photo shoot, so I recognize I've made lasting changes.  (Also, this is my girl, Amanda, AKA Egypt - who also is a nerd/hockey player!)

To note;   this picture was taken March 3, 2013.     The same month as my first challenge with NF.     I don't know what I weighed here, or any of my measurements, but you'll see the difference...

In this shot (taken) August 2013.   Five months.   That's all it took to go from ^ to v.    I didn't feel deprived of anything, nor tired.   Nothing.  I just ate super clean, strength trained 3x a week and

ran or played hockey 3x a week.    I was in the best shape of my life, and I felt great.   Oh... and btw, that pic below... I weighed 140lb.   But man, it was some lean muscled 140lb!  Don't trust scales!

(I'm the one on the left) ((Er, I mean the girl on the left.   The one on the right is my teammate Poodle.))

1157654_10201795018787541_1804952443_n.j

And so we go back to the beginning.  Largely a recopy from last challenge, which was a throwback to my most successful challenge on Nerd Fitness, just with some added tweaks to goals.

Fitness Goals

1. Strength Train:  3X / WEEK   
  2. Sweat!!!  3X / WEEK 
  3. Eating Healthy  No honeybadger moments.  (Might track to get an idea of what I am usually eating, but not track to reach certain cals/macros)

Life Goals

• Budget Related:  Keep track of ALL purchases in BuJo.  Collect data, find trends.
  • Keep up with the art:   Do some art 3-4x a week.

Boom.   That's it!      And it starts on Week Zero (because Old Challenges were 6 weeks, so I gotta go apples to apples here.)    Also - if when this works?  It will be the first time in the history of ever, that Starpuck achieves weight loss and body changing during the winter months.

Today's starting weight sucks.   But I had to face the facts:  157lb

*waiting for sharks, and kind of splurgy weekend do not help

tenor.gif

• Like 10

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Following! For awesomeness and hopefully the occasional art post. But mostly the awesomeness :)

• Like 1

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Great getting to hear your origin story. You look so much fitter now. Which is great, since you were obviously fit then since you didn't die when you played hockey.:)

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

3 hours ago, Oramac said:

I am in!!  Love the throwback challenge.  Going back to your roots is a great idea.  Looking forward to seeing you kick all the ass! 

Woot.   Go back to what works, right?    Just gotta get back to it!

1 hour ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Following! For awesomeness and hopefully the occasional art post. But mostly the awesomeness :)

Aww yay!    I am hoping for both awesomeness AND arts.     I feel like everything is rusty right now.

3 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Great getting to hear your origin story. You look so much fitter now. Which is great, since you were obviously fit then since you didn't die when you played hockey.:)

Hahaha, I don't know if I could call, what I did then, as "playing hockey" but yeah, I've always been that athletic type.   Even when I was very overweight.     Now I just gotta get back to that second picture.    I was going to stay I had to go back to square one, but then earlier today I worded it as, "Putting my peg into a new square one!" and that felt much better and more appropriate.

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

Following.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along again!

Woo!  Wouldn't be the same without a cheering section!  Thanks guys!

Well, for being a very busy Monday at work, and being still meh from an exhausting weekend full of hockey drama...   I fared well today on getting back in the saddle.

• I ate well and tracked.
  • I worked out at lunch; lifted, it went fine.    Did pull a weird muscle racking a plate... like, a light plate.   Stupid freaking body.   But it seems better now.
  • I drew a bit too- been a long time, and I did this with the barest minimum of  reference.   First rough draft of my Dwarven Cleric Revia Harkan.

5kRMMRBm.jpg   KNEvp8dm.jpg?1

Starpuck's Serious Face, RARR!                          Revia enjoying some ale(s)!

(Also my new poster in my warehouse workout box)

I for sure am going to go to sleep early tonight.   But right now, I need to go play some Witcher!

• Like 7

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

MASTER PUCK!!!!! YOUR PADAWAN IS HERE!!! 

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, Starpuck said:

367A8971-XL.jpg

WOW! Look at that progress!!! O.O Awesome! ^_^

I think that's a cool story of how you joined NF! Mine was something similar. I was frustrated and trying to figure out how to eat healthier. I searched for something like "How to start liking vegetables" or something like that, and one of Steve's articles popped up in my google search. I clicked on it and was like "Fitness for Nerds?! No Way!" and as I started reading more and more, it really resonated with me. And here I am almost a year later! 

16 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Fitness Goals

1. Strength Train:  3X / WEEK   
  2. Sweat!!!  3X / WEEK 
  3. Eating Healthy  No honeybadger moments.  (Might track to get an idea of what I am usually eating, but not track to reach certain cals/macros)

Life Goals

• Budget Related:  Keep track of ALL purchases in BuJo.  Collect data, find trends.
  • Keep up with the art:   Do some art 3-4x a week.

Solid goals! I hope to see all the BuJo pictures! I need to start BuJoing again. One step at a time though! 

(Also, looking forward to all the awesome artwork! ^_^) 

11 hours ago, Starpuck said:
  • I ate well and tracked.
  • I worked out at lunch; lifted, it went fine.    Did pull a weird muscle racking a plate... like, a light plate.   Stupid freaking body.   But it seems better now.
  • I drew a bit too- been a long time, and I did this with the barest minimum of  reference.   First rough draft of my Dwarven Cleric Revia Harkan.

5kRMMRBm.jpg   KNEvp8dm.jpg?1

Starpuck's Serious Face, RARR!                          Revia enjoying some ale(s)!

(Also my new poster in my warehouse workout box)

Serious Puck is Serious... 

I like Revia so far! ^_^ She looks fun! Hehe

How is your D&D going? Are we doing D&D planning? Will we get more stories this challenge of awesome game nights?! 

• Like 3

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Follows the Way of the Samurai

Previous Challenges: 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

I have an ancestor named Nathaniel Starbuck.  I always thought it was a badass name.

• Like 2

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

22 hours ago, obax said:

Following along, from the beginning this time!

Woo, yay!  Obax!!  You got a challenge going yet chica?

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I would not mess with serious-face Starpuck. Awesome poster.

It's kinda fun having the poster there.  I have two more I want to hang, but need to make sure the tape is solid first.   Sticking things to dusty concrete is hard.

12 hours ago, Oramac said:

This.  All of this.  Serious-face Starpuck is no joke, and neither is that poster!

Hah, I figured YOU'D like the poster Oramac. ;)   

11 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

MASTER PUCK!!!!! YOUR PADAWAN IS HERE!!!

WOW! Look at that progress!!! O.O Awesome! ^_^

I think that's a cool story of how you joined NF! Mine was something similar. I was frustrated and trying to figure out how to eat healthier. I searched for something like "How to start liking vegetables" or something like that, and one of Steve's articles popped up in my google search. I clicked on it and was like "Fitness for Nerds?! No Way!" and as I started reading more and more, it really resonated with me. And here I am almost a year later! 

Solid goals! I hope to see all the BuJo pictures! I need to start BuJoing again. One step at a time though! 

(Also, looking forward to all the awesome artwork! ^_^)

Serious Puck is Serious...

I like Revia so far! ^_^ She looks fun! Hehe

How is your D&D going? Are we doing D&D planning? Will we get more stories this challenge of awesome game nights?! 

Hey Padawan!   So glad to have you around.  We have much training to complete together.  Missions!   Adventure.     I need to get better with my BuJo, but I will share pics eventually.   Yes, there is still my D&D game!  I've been floundering a bit on the confidence side of it.   I will try and share as more comes up.  Next game is this Sunday!

11 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I have an ancestor named Nathaniel Starbuck.  I always thought it was a badass name.

Whoa, heck yeah.    That name needs a whole novel of epic behind it!  That's so cool!

• Like 1

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Doing well so far guys.   I had pretty good DOMS today because ya know, it's been like four weeks since I lifted.    I still loaded up Zombies, Run 5k Training and did my 3 miles at lunch.     Perhaps tomorrow I will be less sore, but the idea that working out the muscles while already sore will help the sore?   Yeaaaah never been my experience hah.

Ate nice and clean, and still have my evening snack on tap.    Also tracked again.  

Got Revia inked in Manga Studio and adjusted the back arm a bit to look more properly angled.   I've been thinking maybe she needs a different mouth, something more excited and laughing ... but I toyed with them a bit and none of them looked right.  Though, with the half-lidded eyes, perhaps her grin would be more muted at this point, what with how she drinks her ales by the twos! 

aN5ZAO1.jpg

Tomorrow is another lift day, and hopefully lots of D&D prep.   

And with that...

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

a whole novel of epic

There's a brief anecdote of epic.  He was one of the founders of Nantucket island.  The Starbuck family was heavily involved in the whaling industry there for something like 150 years.  When Herman Melville wrote Moby Dick, he based his character names on the old whaling families from the island, so the first mate on the Pequod was called Starbuck.  The Starbucks coffee company took their name from this character.  So, in a literary sense, I'm a relative of Starbucks coffee.  No matter how many times I tell them this story, I never get a free latte for it.

• Like 5

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

Woo, yay!  Obax!!  You got a challenge going yet chica?

I do indeed, in my signature. Bit of a different focus this time.

I can't wait to see how that new pic progresses. It's been a lot of fun watching your art develop, and it's cool to see the process, step by step.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

22 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

I am hoping for this as well!!

10 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Hah, I figured YOU'D like the poster Oramac. ;)   

Hey!  What's that supposed to mean!? :D  (ok, yea, you're right!)

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

21 hours ago, Starpuck said:

lots of D&D prep

Super jealous.  I'm only just beginning to scrape together an RPG group, and it's on shakey ground.

• Like 2

KBO. - Churchill

Man, I really suck if things slip out of routine even at all.

At 4:30 on Wed, my bro called and asked if I wanted to ditch work Thursday and meet him and the nephews for the big hockey sale at our local store.  I checked with work and they were fine with me taking a day off that late notice.  (love them)    So I surprised them at the store at 10:15 on Thursday,  where I got some new skates!  (Much needed and now all the anxiety of 'they feel/act different' happens.)   Then all you can eat sushi with them.   Then some bowling.   Then hanging at my friends house to wait for D&D game, then D&D game.  Where I got polymorphed into a giant ape, and it saved my life, and our whole party!

But, I ate like shit yesterday, and guys, I've had nonstop DOMS since Monday... and tonight is first night of hockey practice.    I am so flipping sore.   I did NOT work out or run yesterday, but I think, I will still end up with a mega active week compared to the last 4.   (3 Lifts, 1 run, 2 hockey, 1 rest.)   Slacked on everything, and man, even though I am eating right today, I am feeling too lazy to put it in MFP.   Also, since we're playing MY D&D game tomorrow, I feel the need to cram on preparation so EVERYTHING else gets pushed aside for that.

I am going to just do what I can, keep up in my BuJo and sort of ease into a full week of challenge next week.   But, NOT derail this week just because of yesterday.

21761924_10213955541353005_8893842768967

THEY ARE SO SHINY!  OMG

• Like 5

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Man, I really suck if things slip out of routine even at all.

I'm sorry, but I missed the part where you sucked. Also, I thought we agreed we don't talk about ourselves like that any more.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

19 hours ago, Starpuck said:

if things slip out of routine

I grok this.  I do great during the week, but on the weekends when there's always some kind of thing that I have to attend where food isn't 100% controlled by me, I have a real problem keeping to my calorie tracking and goals.  Same with exercise.  I'm working on learning that anything is better than nothing, and even if I can't eat perfectly, eating the best that I can in whatever situation is good enough.

And no, you don't suck.  That's enough of that.

• Like 1

KBO. - Churchill

Today is my last day of letting weekends roll around doing what they want like a spoiled whelping.    Yup.    Guess who's the boss of me?  ME!      And that means I get to call the shots.   Not much thought has gone into food this weekend, and I sit here now with a really bloaty belly.  (And I actually ate smarter today!  No fair.)    Anyway, I know the cleaner I eat the better I feel, so time to get back on that track.   

Admissions.

I have been eating without a care for how it actually fuels and affects my body. 

I have been spending way too much money, I don't even know for sure why. 

I am letting old "could do's" discourage me from new "someday's".

Decisions.

I will eat healthier.   I like the way I feel when I am eating clean and nourishing.    I can still enjoy a treat.   But it's not a treat if it happens all the time.

Budget your shit girl!   There is nothing you need right now.   Absolutely nothing.   If there is, write it down on a BuJo page and at the end of the week, if it's a real "need" then plan for it.

I work out.   I am in the prime of my life because I choose to make that statement the truth.      I have things I want to do 'someday' so I will prepare myself for starting now.

First hockey practice was had on the new skates, and while they need to be broken in and I need to get then properly balanced and profiled, they were good!  They felt fine!  My feet didn't hurt in them!  And I had no red spots or blisters after an hour of skating drills!  That is so fantastic!      I ran my D&D game on Saturday and it felt like it went so very well!  Everyone even said 'Niiice game Nay!  Woo! That was fun!  Thanks!'   It gave my confidence a huge surge!     Today, after church, I actually told my friends No to doing stuff.   I have been going so hard, and I wanted some down time.   I have practice at 6, so I just wanted to do some laundry, post stuff, tidy up... and after this, I might do some drawing work.    

Tomorrow starts a week that should be absolutely routine - which is going to help tremendously on my keeping things up.      One thing that's been really annoying, is that even taking it easy on Thursday... and also yesterday... I have had DOMS every single day this week in one spot or another.   I am sure today's are a result from new skates/lots of skating Friday.    And I have more skating today, oh crap!     At any rate... going to plan M W F as lift days because that's the only way I will for sure get 3 days in a week.  If that means ALSO skating on Friday, then my Friday lift is deloaded... simple as that.     

HERE COMES WEEK 1!!!!!

tenor.gif

• Like 3

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Today is my last day of letting weekends roll around doing what they want like a spoiled whelping.    Yup.    Guess who's the boss of me?  ME!      And that means I get to call the shots.   Not much thought has gone into food this weekend, and I sit here now with a really bloaty belly.  (And I actually ate smarter today!  No fair.)    Anyway, I know the cleaner I eat the better I feel, so time to get back on that track.   

Admissions.

I have been eating without a care for how it actually fuels and affects my body. 

Decisions.

I will eat healthier.   I like the way I feel when I am eating clean and nourishing.    I can still enjoy a treat.   But it's not a treat if it happens all the time.

Budget your shit girl!   There is nothing you need right now.   Absolutely nothing.   If there is, write it down on a BuJo page and at the end of the week, if it's a real "need" then plan for it.

I work out.   I am in the prime of my life because I choose to make that statement the truth.      I have things I want to do 'someday' so I will prepare myself for starting now.

Now that's more like it!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Admissions.

Decisions.

This is awesome and really inspiring :) Do good things!

• Like 1

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One