• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rebel Pilot Gar

[Rebel Pilot Gar] Bring Me that Horizon

Now interrupting your regularly scheduled dose of Star Wars GIFS.... *cue POTC theme song*

Been doing some thinking lately. The past couple of challenges have been lackluster on my part. I haven't been feeling it and have not been working as hard as I would like to obtain the goals I am setting for myself. So this challenge I'm mixing it up - the theme, the way I'm setting my goals, etc. 

tumblr_nvtsrmmfLQ1rcwa0zo1_500.gif

First question(s):

• Where do I want to be in 4 months (January 2018)?
  • What about 1 year from now?
  • What about 5 years?

I don't have the answer yet, but I know it isn't where I'm at today. 

tumblr_nvtsrmmfLQ1rcwa0zo2_500.gif

So next step.... what can I do in the short term to figure out where I want to be in the future?

Rule #1 - Keep it Simple 

• Clean up after yourself - dishes out of the sink, clothes off the floor, etc
  • Drink water, eat fruits and vegetables, avoid junk

Rule # 2 - Do what you promise

• Don't make a promise you don't intend to follow through on (work + life)
  • Follow up on the things you say you'll do - Ask for help when you need it, don't make excuses and don't ignore the issue

Rule # 3 - Have fun

• If you aren't having fun or learning something, why the hell are you doing it?
  • Avoid mindlessness / time wasting stuff

Yeah I know it's pretty vague, I'll probably spend the week fine tuning the wording and making something I can grade. But for now this is going to be the theme of the next 4 week challenge. 

tumblr_ma25t075kw1r3nmbqo1_500.gif

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

• Follow up on the things you say you'll do - Ask for help when you need it, don't make excuses and don't ignore the issue

I LOVE THIS. Following~

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I LOVE THIS. Following~

Thanks! The ask for help is definitely an area where i have room to grow. To be honest your "Guardian" challenge however many months ago was knocking around in my brain to encourage this goal. :)

14 hours ago, Dagger said:

giphy.gif

tumblr_osrbzuaS6a1s3olk1o1_400.gif

• Like 2

IDK why but this feels right to do...

Things that went well today (aka my first day back at work after first vacation in nearly 2 years):

• Made a list of work tasks I need to do
  • Actually crossed things off of said list
  • Drank a lot of water (and some tea) 
  • Avoided the dreaded call of the vending machine or the chocolate giving offices
  • Stopped by the store to get groceries so we can cook dinner (rather than eat takeaway food)
  • Waited 1 hour before drinking a beer after I got home

Things that didn't go so well today:

• snoozed my alarm (bed was so comfy I didn't wanna leave)
  • Forgot to bring the lunch i packed with me
  • Bit stressed looking at the list of things to do for work 
  • other than extra long doggy walk didn't actually exercise. did do some stretching tho.
  • Like 2

Things that went well yesterday:

- Drank 2.1 L water

- Ate 5 servings veggies!!

- Avoided junk food/vending machine at work (though I almost caved at least 2x)

- Continued work task checklist/prioritization

- Did yoga with Adrienne 45 min video

- Waited until after yoga to have a beer rather than as soon as I got home

Things that did not go so well:

- Late to work, I left late and traffic was horrendous

- Felt very stressed about a work project

- Spent a lot of time online just browsing Tumblr mindlessly after work 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

kjjt_sw_mil_falc_coaster_set_inuse.jpg

omg I need this

I saw pretty super mario ones in Camden and had to resist buying. Not only don't I have a home anymore, I'm also pretty sure I kept a stack of those kinds of things that are pretty. T_T

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dagger said:

I saw pretty super mario ones in Camden and had to resist buying. Not only don't I have a home anymore, I'm also pretty sure I kept a stack of those kinds of things that are pretty. T_T

I have a huge weakness for geeky coasters, so hard to resist but I already have more coasters than I need (12). 

So really I don't need them but man do I want these. I also have too many mugs. They are slowly invading the cabinet and kicking the water glasses out. :P 

1 hour ago, theophilus said:

Rule number 2 is so on point. I think we all could stand to incorporate that into our lives. 

Thanks!

And yeah it's very important. I also have a habit of beating myself up over things like taking too long to respond to an email. Then instead of just a simple everyday task it becomes this huge scary anxiety-inducing beast (in my own mind)

My hips muscles are kinda sore from yesterday's yoga. Feels good though ~

Things I did well today:

• Drank my water :3
  • Went for a (short) run with the pup. Was a bit warm for him so honestly we did more of a 1.5 mile run/walk.
  • Work was less stressful. I had a meeting with one of the managers about some of the stuff that's been stressing me and they got my brain to click that I don't have to hold the world on my shoulders - just take baby steps and we'll get better. Some of this was just normal manager placating but it still helped
  • Hit 10K steps!! Mostly thanks to the run but still, first time this week :) 

Things I didn't do so well:

• 3 beers :(
  • Got takeout instead of cooking dinner :( BF has been working LATE all this week, trying to catch up on vacation backlog and it's really hard to balance exercise + cooking + dog + after work blah feeling all by myself
  • was doing a lot of desk work / number crunching today so very sedentary during workday

tumblr_or36pi0Oll1u30wp0o8_500.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dagger said:

Love the gif!

Haha thanks Elizabeth Swann is an awesome character. Even though there are so many good Captain Jack gifs I want to show off the other fantastic characters as well. 

Lol the entire Pirates of the Caribbean series means a lot to me - even the "not so good" sequel movies have their good parts. 

• Like 1

Things that went well yesterday:

- got to work on time! Usually days where I need to be at work by a specific time are ok, but the normal days I struggle 

- brought my lunch!

- walked around most of the day (without my Fitbit though so my step count doesn't reflect it)

- stress was manageable and the few meetings I had I got to on time

things to improve on:

- didn't do a good job with water or veggies. Was away from my desk without my water and just didn't catch up

- no exercise - worked 12 hours (6:30 am to 6:30 pm) and just crashed when I got home 

• Like 2

Agh I did something dumb. Went into NYC to meet a friend and didn't realize until I was in the city that I got my days mixed up. 

Argh (and I hate the city so much).

At least I got an hour plus walk out of it in relatively nice weather?? 11-Things-You-Didnt-Know-About-Pirates-o

• Like 1

Not going to lie, I derailed a bit after yesterday's nonsense. Don't want to go into detail but I do need to vent so .... hopefully it's somewhat coherent.

Heard kind of last minute about a surprise party for an old friend, from their close friends. Somehow got the days mixed up even though it was right freaking there. I (strongly) debated not going before agreeing (haven't seen this friend in a couple years, though we text on birthdays maybe), then spent last week fighting not to change my mind. I cancelled/pushed out all the original plans I had for Saturday - thinking it was Saturday the whole time, when it was actually Sunday (today). Made it all the way into the city, walked for an hour then looked at the invite to find out that oh shit it's actually tomorrow. Well, fuck. So I went home - debated a little bit about if I wanted to do anything while I was there but... I was wearing nice-ish clothes and it was really hot (I think i looked like i was going to work or something because I was completely ignored by everyone handing out flyers for tourist shit lol) and I hate the city. Most cities really, give me a forest any day. Cute little New England towns I like though. 

I guess the  good news is I was able to do the stuff that I had originally hoped to do on Saturday and was regretting having to cancel. I was really working myself up about what do I do, didn't want to go back into the city the next day, but I said I would and already paid towards the party and shit. 

BF and another friend talked me down from the anxious mess of a stress ball I turned myself into.

tumblr_ob1lsif5E51qgwefso1_540.gif

tumblr_ob1lsif5E51qgwefso2_540.gif

IDK if it's the best way to make a decision but basically they asked me "If the same thing happened to them, would they still make an effort to meet up with you?" Instantly my brain yelled NOPE. I don't know if it's actually true - maybe they would. But just my experience of - back when I used to try - not hearing back, they'd promise stuff (I'll let you know when I'm in the area). I dunno maybe it's also partially me, I could have reached out more but there's only so much emotional energy I can expend reaching out and .... waiting, then giving up about hearing back. 

Now that I've typed all that out, I don't know if I feel any better about it. Just kinda dragged a bunch of years of stuff back to the surface of my mind (well it was there already...)

But in the end, I met up with some other friends who I had cancelled on. A few were in town after recently moving away and the entire group was actually able to get together for once. It was an awesome night catching up and just bs-ing about life. I definitely drank more than I should've - not terribly but I wasn't drinking water either so I woke up late with a decent hangover.

And when I woke up it was already "too late" to change my mind about going into the city for that party and instead of feeling guilty I felt... massive relief? And a bit of guilt for being so relieved. 

Been pounding water, took some time to stretch really well and do laundry and some other mental health care. So maybe this weekend turned out for the best after all. That's what I'll tell myself at least, as I go into a crazy insane busy work week. 

• Like 2

And now that I got the emotional outburst out of the way, I want to talk about my plan for week 1 and give some more structure to my goals.

On 9/11/2017 at 4:59 PM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Rule #1 - Keep it Simple 

• Clean up after yourself - dishes out of the sink, clothes off the floor, etc
  • Drink water, eat fruits and vegetables, avoid junk

Rule # 3 - Have fun

• If you aren't having fun or learning something, why the hell are you doing it?
  • Avoid mindlessness / time wasting stuff

Rule #1 - Keep it Simple 

• Track water, veggies & activity - every day
  • Dishes out of the sink & clothes off the floor - every day

• Promises to Work!Me
    • Be at my desk by 8AM daily (if projects/meetings require earlier, be in time for those)
    • No unrelated work browsing on phone/interwebs (game apps, social media, etc all banned at work) This includes lunch! Talk to people, not the phone. :P 
  • Promises to Home!Me
    • Begin GMB Elements program Week 1. Start the daily exercise by 7PM each day (this is a 8 week program with 6 days/week of mobility/strength routine link)
    • No beer until I finish the daily elements routine
    • 1+ family adventure/week - spending quality time with dog + BF

Rule # 3 - Have fun

• Reading / Drawing > Internet
  • Running & Yoga & Dog Walks 
  • No concrete goal during week 1, just keep above activities in mind :) 
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

There is an accountability buddies thread if you want to join it: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/102616-learning-the-elements/

I did not know this. Thanks for the link! I'll definitely join - extra accountability will definitely help. I get so frustrated by my lack of mobility in some areas.

• Like 1

Ah Monday....

Wasn't too bad considering. I did have to think about all those promises I made to myself. Made it to work just after 8AM. Not quite close enough to be at my desk, but much better than I was doing last week. Gotta keep up the streak! I also kept trying to check tumblr, instagram and Nerd Fitness throughout the day. Again, not that I wasted the whole day but there are more productive things I can do while watching project work do its thing. 

Came home and really wanted a beer, so I jumped right into Elements Week 1 Day 2. Took me about 70 min (30 of that was the warm up just because I was still sore from whatever I did last week). Still tough and frustrating how poor my mobility is -particularly squats. Guess that's why I'm doing this program though so might as well stick with it. :D

tumblr_nx7ubkXCKD1qkksz8o3_r1_500.gif

• Like 2

8 hours ago, theophilus said:

Great Monday!

What's the deal with this Elements program? I've heard some people around these parts talking about it, and it's piqued my curiosity.

Thanks!

I stumbled on Elements after seeing a bunch of people on the forums talking about it. At the time while I was also looking for some mobility exercises because my squat form is abysmal. But I don't (currently) have the discipline to work on mobility regularly and get really frustrated with my lack of flexibility. 

So after looking into a few different programs I decided to give the program a shot. 

I am disappointed I did not take the "Talk like a pirate day" opportunity to post yesterday lol

Getting to work by 8 and not playing with my phone at work are.... not going all that well. I definitely spend an hour browsing the forums while monitoring project work. But..... I've already tape measured all my pipes and really only need to monitor certain steps and make sure there are no loud angry noises going on. *shrug* Maybe prep for meetings? or work on other projects in parallel? Yeah I should probably be doing those.

Good news is I've been doing pretty good with doing the elements workouts - and waiting until after to have a beer. Yesterday I had only one drink! 

Alright i I recognize that should be normal but for me it's progress ... 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Alright i I recognize that should be normal but for me it's progress ... 

What is this "normal" thing you speak of? (Disclaimer: this is kinda joking, but kinda really not.)

18 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Thanks!

I stumbled on Elements after seeing a bunch of people on the forums talking about it. At the time while I was also looking for some mobility exercises because my squat form is abysmal. But I don't (currently) have the discipline to work on mobility regularly and get really frustrated with my lack of flexibility. 

So after looking into a few different programs I decided to give the program a shot. 

Wow, that looks really cool. My flexibility is nil, so I may give it a shot myself.