EricMN

tumblr_inline_nnmruiMzFk1sjf2gc_1280.jpg

Main Goal

This is it. At the end of this challenge, I'll be traveling to Blue Mountain, Ontario, 12 October to 15 October for the 2017 OCR World Championships. I qualified as an Age Group competitor during the Spartan Sprint in Illinois in June, and will be competing in Saturday's 15k Standard Course race in the 50-and-over Age Group. 

OCR-World-Championships.jpg

I spent almost a full year building toward this race, but like in years past, I am coming into the fall season at less than my peak. Unlike previous years, however, my issues are not due to injury, but to my now-constant running companion, knee pain of varying intensity due to psoriatic arthritis. I'm coming to grips with this development, and learning when to be smart and back off, and when to push through. First, according to my doctor, the best thing I can be doing is moderate exercise. Now, he and I have a differing opinion on what constitutes "moderate," but that's a different argument. Second, I almost never experience pain while I'm exercising (especially if I'm smart and use KT tape on my knees). Pain comes later, so what I'm really dealing with is post-activity pain management.

Knowing those things, and knowing that I now have five weeks until I step into the gate, here's my challenge:

Goal: Run so that I don't finish last

bub-1.jpg

I've used my knee pain for a crutch for a good two months now, and either I need to come to grips with finishing dead last at Worlds and potentially being pulled from the course as a DNF, or I have to start running with intent. I have five weeks to build up some proficiency here, and I'm not starting from scratch.

Goal: Run a minimum of four days per week. Must include a long run (7+ miles) on the weekend.

Goal: Work Out so I don't lose my grip

2016-OCRWC-UrbanSky.jpg

This is a World Championship course. They are bringing in signature obstacles from literally all over the world (Dragon's Back, Urban Sky, others I won't know about until they are confirmed) that will include at least one long, miserable uphill carry. Last year's race included a half-mile Wreck Bag carry up and down a Black Diamond run and the US OCR Championships at the beginning of this month had a Yoke Carry that people said was a quarter mile of misery. I need to keep up my strength.

There will also be a good five or six rigs. I'm pretty proficient at rings and bars and whatnot but vertical grips get me. I've got five weeks to fix the fail here. I haven't abandoned my Grease the Groove pull-up work, but I need to modify it to include towel pull-ups:

Spoiler

Goal: Strength Training Classes 2x per week. This includes both weight training and boot camp.

Goal: 16 pull-ups per day, at least 8 with the towel

Goal: Eat so that I look good in my jersey

2017-OCRWC-USAJersey.jpg

This may sound ridiculous and vain, but I'm really worried about this. I ordered one of the USA team jerseys from Legendborne, because while I plan on being able to compete in this sport for a long time, age and arthritis are catching up with me and who knows where the event will be held next year, whether I will qualify, or whether my body will be physically able to handle it. So I dove in and ordered one of these. All reports say that they fit tighter than my North Star Spartans jersey, and I have two of those and my GF doesn't prefer my tight-fit style. Legendborne doesn't have a loose-fit option, so I'm going to get something that fits tight like the above, only it won't come with the pre-sculpted six-pack as shown in the image above. My jersey will be here before the start of this challenge and I'm worried it's going to fit like a sausage casing.

I'd be completely screwed, but I know what works for me as far as macros and weight loss, and I will be focusing on cutting weight over the next five weeks in order to meet my goal of not looking like I'm going to burst the seams on this thing:

macros.jpg

Goal: Be at or under my macro goals every day.

Goal: Be accountable and Don't Give Up

This challenge will be bracketed by Rugged Maniac on the Saturday of Week Zero and end with OCRWC on Saturday of Week Four. I have to stay accountable or I will not meet my goals for this year. This means no disappearing from the boards here. Y'all can't hold me accountable if I ghost out of here.

Especially since my challenge recap should conclude with me holding one of these:

It won't be gold as that's a podium place... but I want mine.

Five Weeks of No Excuses.

• Like 13

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

So proud of you, you got this!

53 minutes ago, EricMN said:

Y'all can't hold me accountable if I ghost out of here.

Some of us have more than one way to track you down.:devilish:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

40 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

So proud of you, you got this!

He doesn't live too far from me.  I bet I could hunt track him down.

following and cheering for you all the way.  I know about the pain and I feel for you.  I hope you can find some relief as you push on.  Hot baths, heating pads and bio freeze helped me.

you still give me hope I will complete a Spartan before I die.

• Like 2

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

3 hours ago, EricMN said:

...in the 50-and-over Age Group. 

Holy crap! I had no idea you were over 50. Honestly thought you were early 40s. Man you still crushing it! Well done sir.

I'll be here tracking along to see how things and try my best to keep you motivated. Good luck sir.

• Like 2

Daily Log ]

Following!

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Here to cheer you on!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

5 hours ago, EricMN said:

This may sound ridiculous and vain, but I'm really worried about this.

Not at all.  Getting so that I look good in a compression shirt was one of the primary motivating factors for me in getting back into shape.

You will rock the OCRWC! We are here to make sure of it

Image result for hired goons gif

Ahem...

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Here to watch you crush all the things. You are going to rock OCRW!

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

15 hours ago, EricMN said:

This is it. At the end of this challenge, I'll be traveling to Blue Mountain, Ontario, 12 October to 15 October for the 2017 OCR World Championships.

hype GIF

I'm eagerly anticipating your OCRWC write up.

15 hours ago, EricMN said:

This may sound ridiculous and vain, but I'm really worried about this.

It's not vanity, it's comfort. Being uncomfortable during a race isn't only annoying, it's distracting. You've got enough to think about on the day, you don't want to be preoccupied with thoughts about how your t shirt fits as well. 

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

18 hours ago, EricMN said:

and will be competing in Saturday's 15k Standard Course race in the 50-and-over Age Group.

That's freaking awesome! I'm inspired by both your humble recognition that you're not at "peak" and your plan to work your ass off to get there. It shows dedication that is admirable.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Monday

892.jpg

It felt good to get my head back on straight. Thank you, all, for being in my corner.

To kick things off right, immediately after posting this thread, I left my desk, grabbed my trail shoes and hit the nearby park reserve for 3.5 sluggish miles. They all count. I spent the evening with my legs propped up on the coffee table and ice bags on my knees while watching my local sportsball team thrash a hated rival. It was a Good DayTM.

Run:

Goal: Run a minimum of four days per week.

Result: 3.5 trail miles.

Strength:

Goal: Strength Training Classes 2x per week.

Result: Nothing scheduled. Classes have normally been Tuesday/Thursday and will continue.

Goal: 16 pull-ups per day, at least 8 with the towel

Result: 16 pull-ups. I'll get the towel on the bar today.

Eat:

Goal: Be at or under my macro goals every day.

macros.jpg

Result:

KCal: 1507

Protein: 94g

Fiber: 23g

Sodium: 2776mG

I wasn't hungry during the day and I didn't snack. This left me 700 calories short after dinner. I should have added a protein shake before bed. I'll need to be more careful on days when I do strength training.

Solid start to my Five Weeks of No Excuses.

18 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Duly noted. :)

17 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

I know about the pain and I feel for you.  I hope you can find some relief as you push on.  Hot baths, heating pads and bio freeze helped me.

Last night was ice packs. The heating pad does a really nice job on my sacral joints and I'll likely change it up when the ice packs don't work. Triple Flex and Fish Oil supplements may or may not be helping, but I'm giving them more time to find out.

15 hours ago, Rooks said:

I had no idea you were over 50. Honestly thought you were early 40s.

That might be the best compliment I've had in a while. Thanks!

13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Getting so that I look good in a compression shirt was one of the primary motivating factors for me in getting back into shape.

I've been trying not to focus on this over the past four and a half years. It's probably time. I have a 135-lb teenager inside me somewhere and I swear I didn't eat him.

2 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

It's not vanity, it's comfort. Being uncomfortable during a race isn't only annoying, it's distracting. You've got enough to think about on the day, you don't want to be preoccupied with thoughts about how your t shirt fits as well. 

This is pretty much true. Although it's vanity that makes me suck in my belly when I pass the course photographer.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Agreed.  Look good == feel good == perform well.  It's a valid point of emphasis.  And we all want you to be at your best come race time!

I've been able to ease my post-activity knee pain by adding leg curls to my gym regimen.  At least I think that's what's helping.  Good shoes might be contributing, too.

• Like 1

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Fish oil helped me thru too. I had to stop taking before surgery though because it thins your blood as does ibuprofen. I bet your beard is soft and supple though

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

If I ever see Eric IRL again I'll check on your theory.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

On 9/11/2017 at 5:55 PM, EricMN said:

Five Weeks of No Excuses.

LOVE THIS!

7 hours ago, EricMN said:

This is pretty much true. Although it's vanity that makes me suck in my belly when I pass the course photographer.

The secret trick is the raise your arms....that makes everyone's abs look good :-)

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

7 hours ago, Xena said:

The secret trick is the raise your arms....that makes everyone's abs look good :-)

imagesCAT1Y1YC.jpg

Woohoo, is it working!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

I'll be over here, doing the 'so much excite my brains overloaded' dance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Tuesday

starwars5script395.jpg

In a surprising turn of events, I was jonesing to run during my lunch hour, but worked through due to some late-breaking requests and changes at work. Probably smart as except for Bulgarian Split Squats, my knees were feeling as good as they have in ages while lifting, although I am going to need to buy stock in KT Tape at this rate. All in all it was a Good DayTM, as I was productive at work, got in my weight training, did my towel pull-ups and still had time to help The Pink Princess with her homework.

Run:

Result: Nothing except a half-mile warm-up run in 85degF heat before my lifting class.

Strength:

Result: 

Spoiler

20170912_Plus01.jpg

I'm really unstable on one leg right now. Landmine Reverse Lunges were no fun.

20170912_Plus02.jpg

20170912_Plus03.jpg

Split squats are the bane of my existence. Knees no likey.

Whiteboards are back, baby.

Result: 20 pull-ups, 12 with the towel.

Eat:

macros.jpg

Result:

KCal: 1748

Protein: 134g

Fiber: 29g

Sodium: 2356mG. Remembered to have a protein shake before bed and came in much better.

No Excuses.

21 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

I've been able to ease my post-activity knee pain by adding leg curls to my gym regimen.  At least I think that's what's helping.  Good shoes might be contributing, too.

I've always invested in good shoes, and had my gait examined to make sure I was getting the right ones for how I run. I'm neutral with extra cushion. Brooks Ghost series for life. I'll talk to Traci about leg curls and if she isn't going to add them to our sets, I'll see if it's something I can put in myself. Anything that might help is good with me.

21 hours ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Fish oil helped me thru too. I had to stop taking before surgery though because it thins your blood as does ibuprofen. I bet your beard is soft and supple though

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If I ever see Eric IRL again I'll check on your theory.

My beard is a national treasure and I groom it accordingly. @Sloth the Enduring, I'm probably going to be spectating at the Hammer Race in a month, we could turn the awkward all the way up to 11.

14 hours ago, Xena said:

I have this on lock-down.

• Like 9

Wednesday

jan-hadzic-dagobah.jpg

Broke free from the business of my workday and hit the trail during lunch. I was stuck on a coding problem that wasn't offering an obvious solution and so instead of continuing to plow through, I stepped away, grabbed my trail shoes, and went to my happy place.

Spoiler

Two miles from work, one mile from the nearest Interstate, worlds away from everything

As usual, the answer came to me in the quiet, and I was able to implement the solution when I got back to work.

Youth group has started up again. Last night was our kickoff and we played Ultimate Frisbee, which should be wide-open and fast-paced, but teenagers tend to stand around a lot doing nothing and it was a lot of run, stop, run stop. 

My jersey will be here today. I'm stoked and I'm ridiculously nervous.

Run:

Result: 3.5 miserable miles on the trail. Between the heat (85degF, welcome back, Summer) and the fact that I didn't eat until afterward, I felt like I was dying.

Strength:

Result: Nothing scheduled.

Result: 12 pull-ups, 6 with the towel.

Eat:

macros.jpg

Result:

KCal: 1,647

Protein: 124g

Fiber: 27g

Sodium: 2809mG. Could have had a second protein shake before bed but I wan't hungry enough after slamming one down earlier in the evening.

No Excuses.

• Like 12