How to stay motivated

Mary K

I am looking for some tips and inspiration really. I would like to know what you all do to stay motivated. I feel like a lot of times, I spend more hours trying to get motivated and become that way... And then the next day I lose it. I have reached goals and have made improvements but it is taking so much longer because of my lack of motivation. 

"Fitness is not about being better than someone else... It's about being better than you used to be"

-Diet and fitness for life-^_^

Being obsessive tends to help me out. Plus, sticking with stuff so long that it has become a habit. I still don't "like" working out, but I know its something I have to do, and I always do feel better afterwards.

At the start, I just had to make myself do something, it didn't really matter how much I hated it. I "sucked it up" and did it, and still do it. The harder part was trying to find time in the day to make it happen.

Now that I'm a little further down the road, I find more that I'm running from fat past selves (thankfully they get winded easily).

I'll try to upload pics at some point

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

Goals and improvements take much longer than expected. Don't believe anything they tell you on those success stories. Recognizing this allows one to keep chipping at a goal.

It's like brushing your teeth. You don't need to watch a toothpaste commercial or watch a tooth-brushing montage before you do it; you just have a time of the day when you do it, and you get it over with. Sometimes you enjoy it, sometimes it's half-assed; but there are no expectations of you getting white teeth in 30 days.

I remind myself as to why I started in the first place. 

I wanted something to reduce stress and make me feel good. I am not the meditating type, but sweating and generally feeling tired after workouts is what makes me feel good and calm. Also I like being able to do general stuff around the house without feeling like I am a weakling. Those two things generally work. I also have a flexible plan, so if I can't make myself do bodyweight for example, I'll do cardio, or just stretch for the day. Then the next day it's easier to do stuff.

I also talk to myself during sets - yes complete with grunting and 'come on 2 more' under my breath. It's easy because I work out at home, so no one side-eyes me. :D

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

Hi folks

We all struggle from time to time with our motivation. Let's share our techniques on how to stay motivated. Here is mine:

First I write down my goals and reason why, the reason why I want to achieve my goals. Simple. Then I read this list every single morning to remember my goals and my motivation to reach this goals. Works quite well for me.

Where do you get your motivation from?

Hi @MarkBell, welcome to the Rebellion!

I'm going to merge your topic with one just a couple threads down.  Normally I wouldn't, but since there is an ongoing thread with this exact premise, it seems wise to not split the discussion.

• Thanks 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Oh also - 

Motivation sucks.  Like Machete said, it's about building HABIT.  Motivation wanes, habit trudges forward.  I didn't *want* to get up and lift yesterday morning, but I've built up the habit enough that it would feel really weird to NOT get up and lift, even though the motivation wasn't there.  I didn't have to exert a crazy amount of willpower to get going.  I was slower to move yesterday, and grumbled a lot.  Hell, I even skipped an exercise or two.  But I was there, and it was a decent-if-not-mindblowing workout.

Build a system, not motivation.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Not too sound like too much of a geometry nerd...but heptagons have become my favorite shape.

Let me explain...I got a fitbit in January. One of the things it tracks (of the multitude) is daily exercise. You can only get one point per day (even if you exercise 2-100 times, you get 1 point for the day). My weekly goal is five days of exercise (3 gym workouts and 2 long walks/other activities). The visual for this is a pentagon (since I strive for 5 days). 

I get pretty stoked if I get six (hexagon) or seven (heptagon) in a week. Kinda makes me feel like a badass 

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)