What a difference a couple key changes in my life is making! I'm still having tough days or moments emotionally, but regular sleep, exercise, the new work schedule, and cutting out alcohol are all working together to put me in a better state to handle those difficult times. 

I'm feeling good about this next challenge. :) Need to do some thinking about how I'll structure it, but my overall focus for September and the start of October is cutting weight as I train for this Spartan Sprint at the start of November. I think fitting into a pair of size 8 jeans I've had tucked away in my drawer is a good metric for my progress (with the added reward of having a new pair of pants going into the fall). I can currently squeeze myself into them, but the goal is for them to fit comfortably. Pictures would probably be a good way to document progress. I'll take a start picture going into the challenge, maybe a midway one(?), and then one at the end. *fingers crossed* This will give me a little extra push when my motivation is waning. 

• Like 4

Current Challenge, 8765, 4321

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

Went for a run this morning. It was raining, but that just added a little variety to my typical route. Plus, I got to feel like a bad ass "braving" the elements while most people stayed indoors. I've been timing my runs and tracking them on a spreadsheet since I started training two weeks ago. Every time I shave off a little more time. My first two times out I made the mistake of running on an empty stomach which resulted in a lot of nausea during my final push at the end. This morning I tried eating a muffin beforehand. It was the best I've felt on any of my runs, and I finished strong with not even a hint of nausea. Lesson learn; carbs are my friend for morning cardio.

Yesterday I signed up for the small rec center gym in my city. It had been well over two years since I've been in a gym and even longer since I'd been in half decent shape at one. I never realized what a meat market they can be. Ugh. Creepy guys galore! This interaction actually transpired as I was packing up my things to leave after my workout:

Creepy Personal Trainer (CPT): *sees I'm heading to leave* Nice set, Barbara, let's get you a drink. *blocks his client's path to the water fountain and mine to leave* So what kind of sport do you play?

Me: Jiu jitsu.

CPT: Woah. So, I guess you could take out the average guy.

Me: Depends on the guy.

CPT proceeds to ask how long and where I train getting one word answers.

CPT: Guess a guy would have to knock you unconscious to stand a chance with you.

Me: ... 

What the actual F?! I hate that I'm always too stunned to respond in a properly scathing manner when situations like this arise. After two years training at a studio where everyone is incredibly respectful and never once sexualized me I was unprepared for how yucky it felt being around men who look at me so differently. Maybe after a few workouts there they will back off? Maybe I need to dust off my resting bitch face and snarky one liners? I feel like I shouldn't have to do that though. I should be able to exercise without dealing with that kind of crap. :angry: 

Anyway...I took 'start' pictures this morning. Maybe it is the somewhat rape-y statement that guy made to me yesterday, maybe it is just me generally being uncomfortable with my body, but either way I don't feel good about posting them right now. So they will stay private for the time being. 

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King

Welcome! I missed saying hi on the last challenge, so I'm glad you came back around.

44 minutes ago, courtneyc said:

Creepy Personal Trainer (CPT): *sees I'm heading to leave* Nice set, Barbara, let's get you a drink. *blocks his client's path to the water fountain and mine to leave* So what kind of sport do you play?

Ugh, that's pretty uncomfortable, but maybe he's just super clueless about---

40 minutes ago, courtneyc said:

CPT: Guess a guy would have to knock you unconscious to stand a chance with you.

TASER TASER TASER

Seriously, yuck. I'm sorry you experienced that. I hope you have good (and creep-free!) rest of your challenge.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, courtneyc said:

Way to put me on blast. I said that in confidence...

Seriously though, is Brock Turner here a paid employee? Is there someone there you can report this to? Organizations should be taking shit like this seriously, even if it does happen to be a misunderstanding (it's probably not).

Happy to have you back, and seriously what a creep that guy was! It's stupefying to hear men talk to women like that. Echoing @Machete - that needs to be talked about with a supervisor or something, because that's not okay.

And if that doesn't work? Well, tasing bros is a good way to deal with them, or so I hear. And the nice thing about jiujutsu is that you're in the habit of experiencing violence up close. Hopefully that'll make it easier to keep your head if it comes down to it.

• Like 2

Yeah, report the dude. Date rape jokes on the job, and to the company's clients, are not cool. Tell the gym about it.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

8 hours ago, courtneyc said:

What the actual genuine beleaguered f***.  Like who the hell would ever think that's appropriate.  If you feel comfortable doing so, definitely let the gym know.

Your challenge seems like a great idea.  Looking forward to hearing about your progress!

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

11 hours ago, ICB said:

Welcome! I missed saying hi on the last challenge, so I'm glad you came back around.

Ugh, that's pretty uncomfortable, but maybe he's just super clueless about---

TASER TASER TASER

Seriously, yuck. I'm sorry you experienced that. I hope you have good (and creep-free!) rest of your challenge.

Hi! I didn't really say hi to anyone last challenge. Planning to be more active on the boards this time around. :)

10 hours ago, Machete said:

Way to put me on blast. I said that in confidence...

You're right. What was said was between you, me, and poor Barbara who didn't even get to hydrate. 

8 hours ago, Kishi said:

Also! Which Spartan are you doing? I'm joining the races this November up in Boston, and the more Nerds the merrier!

I'm doing the Spartan down in South Carolina. I thought about doing the one up in Boston, but my friend wanted to travel to a warmer climate. Too bad they are the same day or I'd consider signing up for a second. Always fun to meet new Nerds! Another time perhaps.

And thanks everyone for reinforcing the fact that his comment was totally out of line. I'm still trying to decide how I'm comfortable proceeding with the situation. Obviously, in a perfect world I would say something to management...going to try to work up the resolve to do that the next time I'm in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

- Stephen King

10 hours ago, courtneyc said:

You're right. What was said was between you, me, and poor Barbara who didn't even get to hydrate. 

I'm doing the Spartan down in South Carolina. I thought about doing the one up in Boston, but my friend wanted to travel to a warmer climate. Too bad they are the same day or I'd consider signing up for a second. Always fun to meet new Nerds! Another time perhaps.

And thanks everyone for reinforcing the fact that his comment was totally out of line. I'm still trying to decide how I'm comfortable proceeding with the situation. Obviously, in a perfect world I would say something to management...going to try to work up the resolve to do that the next time I'm in. 

Poor, poor Barbara. Probably went home thirsty.

Anyway does the place have an email you could reach them by? It might be an option if they don't have harassment reporting systems in place, because if confronting a harasser (or even reporting him while he is present) was as easy as people make it out to be we probably wouldn't have this big of a problem in the first place. Resolving it by bringing a third party (either a lawyer, an enforcer, or bear spray, depending on the situation) could also work--I've done this before. It's an uncomfortable situation, and resolving it feels even more uncomfortable.

• Like 2

Enjoyed a sexual harassment-free day at the gym this morning! A little ridiculous for that to be a point of celebration, but it certainly makes for a less stressful workout.

I'm primarily focusing on upper body at the gym with special attention to back muscles. I want to be able to do a pull up (and after that a muscle up???). Realistically, that is a long way off for me as I'm finding my back muscles are surprisingly weak. That doesn't discourage me though. If there is one thing I have learned in the past two years it is that little gains can add up to serious progress. I think a big first step is simply getting those back muscles to activate instead of my arms/shoulders. On the lat pulldown machine (pretty much the only machine I use, otherwise I'm hanging out in the bodyweight/trx corner) I found that by dropping the weight significantly to focus strictly on form I can isolate my back muscles. It just takes a surprising amount of focus for me to do that though.

The other thing I'm playing around with at the gym are the monkey bars. :) The non-playground variety only consists of a few rungs, but I'm experimenting with doing "laps" on them. Basically, I lead with one hand on the way out, turn around at the end of the bars without touching down, and lead with the other hand on the trip back. I can currently do 1 full lap. Should be fun to play around with building up those laps or doing timed laps as I progress.

I have some thoughts in the works about the structure of this challenge...mostly it involves setting up weekly/daily goals and meal planning to simplify the caloric side of my weight cut, but it is too late for me to think clearly on those tonight. 

• Like 4

- Stephen King

Well, this is something you'll just want to settle down and take your time on. Calisthenics can be a very rewarding thing, but it's just as capable of hurting you as anything else.

Sounds like you're being smart about it, though! Very cool. Glad to hear things are good!

• Like 1

Week 1 Update

Still haven't set up specifics for this challenge. I'll get there, but in the mean time I don't want to let that keep me from posting. Progress > Perfection

Had a really good run this morning. I was nervous I wasn't going to beat my last run time, but I clearly wasn't mathing well at 8AM since I beat my previous PR by 51 seconds! Soon it will be time to start adding a second lap (or a half lap) to my runs. In the past shin splints have been a real battle for me with running, but so far all has been well on that front. Carrying less weight and already being acclimated to being on my feet for 7+ hours a day for work probably helps a lot. 

Time to pick up the kiddo from school, so that's all for today!

• Like 3

- Stephen King

On 9/22/2017 at 10:22 AM, Toshimi said:

Hey! Just wanted to see how the rest of the week went

Thanks for checking in! There are just not enough hours in the day it seems to get it all in and update. Things are plugging along though. Working on incremental improvements to the food and getting more of an eating plan in place for week 3. 

• Like 3

- Stephen King

11 hours ago, courtneyc said:

Thanks for checking in! There are just not enough hours in the day it seems to get it all in and update. Things are plugging along though. Working on incremental improvements to the food and getting more of an eating plan in place for week 3. 

I feel your pain. I can't even keep up with my battle log like I want to.

Keep working at it!