• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigahane

Maigahane Rants and Raves for a Month

Ugh. Just ugh.

So I'm getting slightly okay maybe more than slightly overwhelmed at work and at life. Work has been a perfect storm of fiscal year end, high level turnover, biennial budget, and an incompetent coworker. Life has just been trying to keep my sanity while working on my fitness/weight loss, staying on top of domestic rangering, socializing, all while trying to not stress eat the kitchen.

Did I mention that I have done basically no running since spring? And that I have a freaking Tough Mudder coming up at the end of this challenge? I ran a mile last night and it was rough. I kept a steady 11 minute/mile pace but I don't think I could have made it to 1.5 miles. I should have tried but I'm trying to balance between pushing myself and overdoing it. I have no concerns about finishing the TM, I'm too stubborn to quit. But it's going to take me a long time if I don't get my stamina up

I'm not sure how active I'll be here this challenge but I figured I'd put something in here so I can rant a bit and hopefully keep myself motivated to get out there and do some running so I don't die out on the field next month

• Like 7

How am I maintaining my sanity? Barely.

I've decided to give up my Saturday gaming group. I enjoy the guys but their play style isn't very compatible with mine and it's just become not worth the 8ish hours it takes up most Saturdays.

Some days I'm able to convince myself that work isn't worth stressing about. I'm already considered a star employee (for some reason that still somewhat baffles me) so even if I don't get everything done I'm still looked at favorably. Especially compared to "Kevin" who's pretty damn incompetent.

I've also decided to let my inner bitch out on Kevin. I've tried being nice about his mistakes but he keeps making the same ones over and over and over again. So he's getting Bitchy Maigs now. I don't like using her, I'm a very non-confrontational person but he's got to change.

I've turned off most of the notifications on my phone. My fellow RAGErs, I'm sorry I've been ignoring the chat but I'm running on social energy fumes. I go in occasionally and read and mentally cheer you ladies on though.

Occasionally I decide that it's okay to put weightloss on the backburner for a bit while I focus on building strength and stamina. Unfortunately that mindset doesn't last very long so I'm still stressing about food.

I am however finally convinced that caffeine exacerbates my anxiety. I'd cut back, decide it wasn't really a problem, start drinking more, get really anxious, get to where I have a day that I can't function, then start over. Right now I do well with two caffeinated drinks a day. That's what I need to stick with. No matter how stressed or frustrated I get I do not get another one because it does.not.help. (that's going to be my mantra for the day because god dammit Kevin I fucking told you that yesterday)

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

No matter how active you end up being. I'm here to cheer you on!

Thanks, it really does help having my cheering squad here. I feel bad that I haven't been able to reciprocate lately, but I am reading your threads and cheering you on my in head.

• Like 1

What's going right?

My teeth are in good shape :) Just had a dentist appointment and got all good comments.

I'm lifting again. I got the first half of a 12 week program from the trainer at the gym last Friday. It's 4 days a week plus two optional days if I'm feeling good. A bit more than I was hoping for since I have Rangerbrain and want to do all the things but I'll make it work for 12 weeks. I lifted Saturday (legs), Sunday (back/bi's), and will be heading out to do the optional legs here in a  bit. I also ran Thursday and yesterday and did kickboxing Sunday. I'm actually already getting pretty comfortable lifting in the new gym. Even doing new things like RDL's and Hex bar deadlifts

I have a tentative schedule figured out that lets me lift, kickbox, spin, and run. It's probably a bit too full though I did make sure that even if I kept up with everything (including the two optional lift days) I had a full rest day on Fridays.

Hubs is super supportive even though he has no interest in fitness. I asked if he was okay being a gym widower for a bit while I go through this 12 week program and he said that sounds like a perfect opportunity to watch more car crash videos on youtube :P He also understands why I had to give up Saturday gaming and didn't try to guilt me into staying.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Maigahane said:

What's going right?

My teeth are in good shape :) Just had a dentist appointment and got all good comments.

I'm lifting again. I got the first half of a 12 week program from the trainer at the gym last Friday. It's 4 days a week plus two optional days if I'm feeling good. A bit more than I was hoping for since I have Rangerbrain and want to do all the things but I'll make it work for 12 weeks. I lifted Saturday (legs), Sunday (back/bi's), and will be heading out to do the optional legs here in a  bit. I also ran Thursday and yesterday and did kickboxing Sunday. I'm actually already getting pretty comfortable lifting in the new gym. Even doing new things like RDL's and Hex bar deadlifts

I have a tentative schedule figured out that lets me lift, kickbox, spin, and run. It's probably a bit too full though I did make sure that even if I kept up with everything (including the two optional lift days) I had a full rest day on Fridays.

You are killing the gyming!!  Have fun with your program!  Following!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Oh the curse of the Ranger :D I'm really struggling to fit anything in around my current running program. In a few weeks I'm going to cut it back massively but right now I think it's the right thing to be concentrating on but I really want to do all the other things too. We need at least one more day in the week. And maybe a few extra hours a day. That'll work.

• Like 2

Following along! 

17 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I've also decided to let my inner bitch out on Kevin. I've tried being nice about his mistakes but he keeps making the same ones over and over and over again. So he's getting Bitchy Maigs now. I don't like using her, I'm a very non-confrontational person but he's got to change.

I was in this situation a few months ago so I feel your frustration. Unfortunately the person I was dealing with was really sensitive and when I pulled her up on her mistakes, she went and cried in the toilet for 20 minutes! She left not long afterwards and I couldn't have been happier about it! I hope you don't have to deal with tears too!

Well done on fitting your lifting in around all the craziness. My hubs is the same. He doesn't mind me spending a lot of time running as he gets more time to play GTV or watch programs with the words "worlds craziest/most shocking...." in the title. :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stribs said:

You are killing the gyming!!  Have fun with your program!  Following!

I think the gym killed me this time. I spent all of yesterday evening trying to stretch out my delts and only somewhat succeeded. I finally ended up just laying on the bed with my arms straight over my head for 30 minutes. They still hurt this morning but I can at least lift my arms over my head without whimpering

10 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Following because ranting is the reason I joined the internet in the first place.

The internet, because you can't rant at work

4 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Oh the curse of the Ranger :D I'm really struggling to fit anything in around my current running program. In a few weeks I'm going to cut it back massively but right now I think it's the right thing to be concentrating on but I really want to do all the other things too. We need at least one more day in the week. And maybe a few extra hours a day. That'll work.

And that's where I come back to the fact that I don't need my job. I could have an extra 45 hours a WEEK if I didn't work. Think of all the Rangering that could happen!

3 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I was in this situation a few months ago so I feel your frustration. Unfortunately the person I was dealing with was really sensitive and when I pulled her up on her mistakes, she went and cried in the toilet for 20 minutes! She left not long afterwards and I couldn't have been happier about it! I hope you don't have to deal with tears too!

Ha, I remember reading about her. I won't have to deal with tears but he also won't quit, he's been here as long as I have (five years). He's not particularly sensitive about being corrected but he always seems baffled that he did something wrong, and he has an annoying habit of blaming everyone else for things. I do think it kinda irks him that I'm correcting him even though he's old enough to be my father and this is my first "real" adult job. I also have more education and shiny certificates, which often doesn't beat experience, but it this case it does

3 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Well done on fitting your lifting in around all the craziness. My hubs is the same. He doesn't mind me spending a lot of time running as he gets more time to play GTV or watch programs with the words "worlds craziest/most shocking...." in the title. :D

Lol, boys. Hubs in on a Redbull racing kick. He might be going back to Home State the weekend I'm doing the Tough Mudder because they're doing an air race there. But he rolls his eyes when I watch The Ultimate Beastmaster (Netflix's version of Ninja Warrior)

• Like 1

So yesterday:

I got quite frustrated and ranty at work in the morning (could you guys tell?). Left at lunch for a dentist appointment and promised myself a treat afterwards (not because I have problems with the dentist but because I was frustrated from work). Appointment went well, teeth are great, and I was less frustrated by the time I left. I stopped by the running store and bought a new sports bra (cause really, two was not enough) and another PF sleeve for my foot (cause one good one and one ripped one is not enough when you wear them 24/7). Then, even though I was no longer frustrated and ranty, I went to a donut place that makes cool donuts that I've had but never been to myself to pick out my own. And I bought three freaking donuts. And ate two before I even made it home. They weren't even that good. I will not be going back there.

Then I went to the gym, did the optional legs day, and realized my legs are not quite as recovered from Saturday's session as I thought. I did some thinking and decided that running is more important to me than strengthening my legs right now so I'll be skipping the optional legs day from now on. That leaves one dedicated leg day and 3 + 1 upper body days from the trainer's plans which will let me run without destroying my lower body. I also decided to skip Spin class last night, my legs were tired and Hubs didn't end up getting home from work until 7:30 which is when the class started so I wouldn't have had any time with him. I did take Flufferbutt on a walk after a delicious and healthy chili dinner so I got 11k steps in.

Tonight is when kids invade my house so I will be hiding out at the gym doing shoulders and running.

• Like 5

Dear Spartan Races:

Why must you be so far away from me? The closest is about 8 hours away and it's in the mountains which would kill me (I lived there for a year and never acclimated to the elevation)

Sincerely,

Maigs

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Following for the ranting and to see if the Kevin makes it till the end of the month.

Welcome T2SC! Luckily for Kevin (and my sanity) I'm at a different office on Wednesday's so he's safe today. If he survives closing out the fiscal year/audit this fall and the budget preparation next spring it will only be because I'm venting my frustrations here and at kickboxing.

Boss Lady (who's frustrating in her own way but not rage-inducing) was out with me this morning and we spent a couple of hours venting to each other about Kevin. She's fully on board with me letting Bitchy Maigs out when needed and not letting him pass the blame for his failures. She's going to be gone next week which should actually help me keep my sanity because she likes to overload me with projects and unnecessary meetings. With her gone I might actually get caught up on things.

Between ranting with BL, keeping up on the NF forums, and researching Spartan Races I've accomplished approximately 45 minutes worth of actual work today. Hence why I'm baffled that I'm considered a star employee :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maigahane said:

So yesterday:

I got quite frustrated and ranty at work in the morning (could you guys tell?). Left at lunch for a dentist appointment and promised myself a treat afterwards (not because I have problems with the dentist but because I was frustrated from work). Appointment went well, teeth are great, and I was less frustrated by the time I left. I stopped by the running store and bought a new sports bra (cause really, two was not enough) and another PF sleeve for my foot (cause one good one and one ripped one is not enough when you wear them 24/7). Then, even though I was no longer frustrated and ranty, I went to a donut place that makes cool donuts that I've had but never been to myself to pick out my own. And I bought three freaking donuts. And ate two before I even made it home. They weren't even that good. I will not be going back there.

Wooo treats (whoever makes a bad doughnut should just quit.)

Then I went to the gym, did the optional legs day, and realized my legs are not quite as recovered from Saturday's session as I thought. I did some thinking and decided that running is more important to me than strengthening my legs right now so I'll be skipping the optional legs day from now on. That leaves one dedicated leg day and 3 + 1 upper body days from the trainer's plans which will let me run without destroying my lower body. I also decided to skip Spin class last night, my legs were tired and Hubs didn't end up getting home from work until 7:30 which is when the class started so I wouldn't have had any time with him. I did take Flufferbutt on a walk after a delicious and healthy chili dinner so I got 11k steps in.

Sounds like a plan!

Tonight is when kids invade my house so I will be hiding out at the gym doing shoulders and running.

If you ever change your mind, I have about 88 you can borrow.  They're potty trained and everything!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stribs said:

(whoever makes a bad doughnut should just quit.)

This place makes interesting donuts that are fun to look at and less fun to eat. To each their own, but I'd rather have an ugly yummy donut

14 hours ago, Stribs said:

If you ever change your mind, I have about 88 you can borrow.  They're potty trained and everything!!

I am more than good. I would completely lose my sanity around that many kids. The two over last night were elementary school aged and adorable....but soooooo much energy. And as they're picking up more of their dad's habits/vocabulary they're getting less adorable. Apparently in the game they played last night every time the 7 year old killed a bad guy he said "Suck it!". A couple of weeks ago I was trying to help him get unstuck on a video game and he said "I don't know what the fuck to do"

• Like 2

Yesterday I ate the remaining donut that I bought Tuesday. And I had seconds for dinner. One or the other and I would have been okay on calories but both put me a few hundred over.

I made it to the gym and did the shoulder workout and then did a 1.1 mile run at a steady 11 minute/mile pace. I might see if I can increase my distance by .1 mile each run (3x/week). It won't get me to a super far distance before the Tough Mudder but hopefully I won't be slowing down the pack too much. These last two runs I've also planned them so after my run and a cool down walk I'm at the biggest "hill" in my neighborhood and I'll run up that at about 10 minute/mile. It's not much of a hill, me living in the Great Plains and all but it's something

• Like 3

You could have called this challenge The Kevin Chronicles. 

You could try running slightly further at a slower pace once a week and see if that helps too. You aren't going to be going flat out at Tough Mudder, so a few easy longer runs will be helpful. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

Hey that's a fairly decent pace you are running at these days.

41 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

You could try running slightly further at a slower pace once a week and see if that helps too. You aren't going to be going flat out at Tough Mudder, so a few easy longer runs will be helpful. 

I'm 5'9" (175 centimeters) so I have longish legs. Normal pants tend to be a bit short while long pants tend to be a bit long. This makes it hard for me to run any slower. I walk a 15 minute/mile pace. I feel like my 11 minute/mile pace is super slow, even when I'm struggling to breathe. I can try and run a bit slower next time and see how that goes

41 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

You could have called this challenge The Kevin Chronicles. 

Lol. I hadn't decided to call him Kevin when I started this thread. October/November is going to be really crazy with our audit and when I'm more likely to want to practice some of my kickboxing moves on him so maybe that'll be next challenge :D

• Like 1

I just read a discussion on the Facebook's event page for my Tough Mudder where multiple people said it's completely flat! I can do flat! At least far more effectively than I can hills. I was also reminded that it's a month from today and I have not booked a hotel room yet. I should probably get on that

• Like 1

You know how when you don't like someone and everything they do annoys you? Kevin likes to buy treats and it usually seems to happen right after he's screwed something up. I think he's trying to buy our love with ice cream, chocolate, and bagels. He then acts offended when I don't eat any which makes me never want to eat what he brings.

Today cookies showed up and I was just about to go grab one until he started going around saying "I brought cookies if anyone wants any". All of a sudden I don't want a cookie anymore

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Today cookies showed up and I was just about to go grab one until he started going around saying "I brought cookies if anyone wants any". All of a sudden I don't want a cookie anymore

Sounds like a effective diet strategy. :P There is a guy in my office that likes to bring in cookies and takes glee in seeing peoples willpower break down. That's just the challenge I need not to want to eat them. Although he's actually stopped asking me now. 

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

I'm 5'9" (175 centimeters) so I have longish legs. Normal pants tend to be a bit short while long pants tend to be a bit long. This makes it hard for me to run any slower. I walk a 15 minute/mile pace. I feel like my 11 minute/mile pace is super slow, even when I'm struggling to breathe. I can try and run a bit slower next time and see how that goes

If your struggling for breath when you are trying to push for distance you are going too fast. It's okay if it feels super slow. 

• Like 1