• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigahane

Maigahane Rants and Raves for a Month

Tough Mudder

I drove out to Missouri Friday afternoon and stayed at a hotel 1.5 miles from the event. I met up with @Oramac and his group for the event. They were an awesome group to do the run with. They picked up a random girl at her hotel that one of them kinda sorta knew from NF so I didn't have to try and find them at a crowded event. They really included me in the group and made sure I was doing okay throughout the run. And they embodied the "It takes a tribe" mentality that the Tough Mudder was built on, hanging around obstacles like Pyramid Scheme for a good 20 minutes helping strangers get through. While I'm sure I would have had fun regardless, it was so much better because of them.

The weather was absolutely perfect. The only time the water made me curse from the cold was at Arctic Enema where it's supposed to

Following along the course map, some notable events:
Hero Carry - I carried Oramac's sister for the first half. Then at the switch she ended carrying one of the bigger guys in the group who did a lot of the heavy lifting at other obstacles and a woman who didn't even come up to my chin carried me. Both of them deserve an applause for that
Skidmarked - an inverted wall. There was no way I could have made it over without the group. This was where they first got to show off their ability and wilingness to help everyone
Mystery Obstacle - This was row after row of waist high fences that you had to climb over. Only notable because one of the guys was (literally) about 6'7" and just ran over them like track hurdles which was a site to see

Devil's Beard - Army crawl under a heavy net. Well, that's what it was supposed to be but one of the guys just stood up and walked through and I fast crawled behind him so the net didn't touch me :)
Everest 2.0 - Unlike at the Ruggest Maniac, I actually had some competent guys to catch me and pull me up! Again, the guys stayed for a few minutes to help people. We had a scare when the tall guy got pulled back over but he was fine

Block Ness Monster - this one might have been my favorite. I did my best to help turn the thing but there were a decent number of guys stronger than me so I went over, they were actually turning it fast enough I didn't get a chance to turn around and grab on to help pull it down on the other side. The second one was moving slower so I was able to help pull it over

Pyramid Scheme - Holy cow that ones tough. Even standing on the tall guys shoulders I still couldn't reach a guy hanging by his feet reaching down from the top. I was able to help a few people while standing on a couple of guys shoulders before getting a push up to reach someone from the top

Reach Around - I was really proud of myself for completing this without any help. You climb up an inverted ladder then get up onto a ledge. Similar to an obstacle I didn't even feel comfortable trying earlier this year (though that was partially because that ladder was metal and I was drenched)

Funky Monkey - I thought there was no way in hell I'd make more than a run or two up the inverted monkey bars and almost skipped it. But I gave it a try and made it to the top! Then failed at the transition to the first wheel and went face first in the water :)

Arctic Enema - Yeah, I dropped more than a few F-bombs in this one. Everyone said it wasn't as cold as normal and I was perfectly okay with that. Luckily it was warm enough out that I didn't feel cold within a minute or two of getting out

Electroshock Therapy - I've heard that just running through is best but everyone was trying to crawl under so that's what I did. I got one little shock to my head and absolutely covered in mud for no good reason.

Then we were done and I got my headband and my shirt (which was immediately covered in mud from my hands and accidentally brushing against my leg.

It did not feel like 11 miles. I'm sure the terrain (no hills!) was a big factor in that as well as having a great group. I felt like I could have kept going. We ran a decent amount at the beginning but walked most of the last half. I could have run more of it but I'd probably have regretted it today.

Against Oramac's good advice I went back to the hotel, showered, grabbed a shake and onion rings from Steak and Shake, and then drove the 4.5 hours home. The words "Ow, my ass/butt/glutes" came out of my mouth more often than I care to think about. They were not happy to be sitting in a car right after the Mudder. But I made it home without crashing while shifting my seat constantly :)

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Woohoo! Well done! Hair looks great too. :)

Thanks. I ended up going with pigtails and one of the thin Underarmor headbands I had. I'm not a fan of pigtails but it worked at keeping my hair out of my face

17 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

And still smiling! Well done!

I was grinning like a fool the entire day, well, between grimaces from ass pain on the drive home :P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

I was grinning like a fool the entire day, well, between grimaces from ass pain on the drive home :P

lol Love your race report but this one sentence really sums up my relationship with Tough Mudder! So happy you had so much fun! 

• Like 1

Challenge Wrap up

Well, my entire goal this challenge was to not go insane so I think I succeeded. Though would I know if I went insane?

Fitness-wise things are looking good. I'm getting into a groove with the lifting. I seem to have figured out how to not hate running. I finished a freaking Tough Mudder and felt like I could have kept going!

Food-wise I need to work on this some more. I'm not doing horribly but the scale and body measurements aren't budging so I'm not doing as well as I could be.

Work-wise I'm still waiting for shit to hit the fan. We have two weeks until the auditors are here and I want to be as close to done with our financial statements as we can be and I'm not sure it's going to happen. Then we have two weeks of the auditors being here and I have to go on a work trip during the second week so I won't even be here for a few days of it. Kevin continues to be infuriating but I think I've let out enough of Bitchy Maigs that he's shaping up some. Though I had an inner giggle this morning when he apparently forgot to do something I'm not involved in at all and said "Sometimes I think I'm not very good at this job".....super long pause....."Don't worry, I'm not looking for a pep talk". Ummm....good, cause you're not gonna get one from me. I often think you're not very good at this job.

I'll try to get a new challenge up soon. This week I should take things slow which works well with it being zero week but I'm a ranger so that may not actually happen :P

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 9:53 AM, Maigahane said:

Tough Mudder

I drove out to Missouri Friday afternoon and stayed at a hotel 1.5 miles from the event. I met up with @Oramac and his group for the event. They were an awesome group to do the run with. They picked up a random girl at her hotel that one of them kinda sorta knew from NF so I didn't have to try and find them at a crowded event. They really included me in the group and made sure I was doing okay throughout the run. And they embodied the "It takes a tribe" mentality that the Tough Mudder was built on, hanging around obstacles like Pyramid Scheme for a good 20 minutes helping strangers get through. While I'm sure I would have had fun regardless, it was so much better because of them.

I'm coming in late here, as usual, but y'all, Maigahane kicked some serious ass at the Mudder!  She deserves some applause for sure.  She tackled and tried everything like a champ, and really did amazingly well!  I'm proud of her.  

Also, @Maigahane, the course next year has been confirmed to be at Hidden Valley!  Come on down for some rougher terrain! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oramac said:

I'm coming in late here, as usual, but y'all, Maigahane kicked some serious ass at the Mudder!  She deserves some applause for sure.  She tackled and tried everything like a champ, and really did amazingly well!  I'm proud of her.  

Awww, thanks :) 

9 hours ago, Oramac said:

Also, @Maigahane, the course next year has been confirmed to be at Hidden Valley!  Come on down for some rougher terrain! 

I'd love to do it again, especially with you guys, but that's a 7 hour drive away, I'm not sure I can justify it :(