Maigahane Rants and Raves for a Month

Maigs

40 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

You know how when you don't like someone and everything they do annoys you? Kevin likes to buy treats and it usually seems to happen right after he's screwed something up. I think he's trying to buy our love with ice cream, chocolate, and bagels. He then acts offended when I don't eat any which makes me never want to eat what he brings.

Today cookies showed up and I was just about to go grab one until he started going around saying "I brought cookies if anyone wants any". All of a sudden I don't want a cookie anymore

Too funny!  Don't let Kevin buy your affection.

• Like 1

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

21 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Sounds like a effective diet strategy. :P There is a guy in my office that likes to bring in cookies and takes glee in seeing peoples willpower break down. That's just the challenge I need not to want to eat them. Although he's actually stopped asking me now. 

Most of my problem with Kevin is that he wouldn't leave it alone. He kept pestering me to eat the treats he brought or asking what he could bring that I would eat. It made me want to eat it even less. I finally decided to be firm and tell him to quit pestering me because it's not funny but I didn't get a chance and without me saying anything he seems to have stopped based on the last two times he brought food (both in the last week)

12 minutes ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Too funny!  Don't let Kevin buy your affection.

Fat chance of that. He's got 5 years of annoying me to make up for

Full disclosure though: I did eat a cookie. I hid it so he doesn't know I ate one but this particular cookie store is really hard to resist

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I hid it

Signs that you may have a problem...

;-)

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

5 minutes ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Kevin has been annoying you for 5 years!

Only slightly annoying for the first 3 years, then he got promoted to my level which is a level higher than he should be employed at and he's been getting progressively more annoying as he falls further and further behind where he should be in understanding the job. We also used to have two VERY strong personalities that scared/scarred him into being a quiet and meek person. Now that they're gone (one I'm very glad about, the other I have mixed feelings, I liked her but not her management style) he's coming out of his shell and I wish he'd go back in.

I bench pressed today! With an actual bench and a rack! I haven't done that since Freshman PE :)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I am more than good. I would completely lose my sanity around that many kids. The two over last night were elementary school aged and adorable....but soooooo much energy. And as they're picking up more of their dad's habits/vocabulary they're getting less adorable. Apparently in the game they played last night every time the 7 year old killed a bad guy he said "Suck it!". A couple of weeks ago I was trying to help him get unstuck on a video game and he said "I don't know what the fuck to do"

Sounds about right.  I get them 30 at a time...but that's still a lot.  I came into this job insane, so that probably helped.  Also, Shame on Kevin for trying to shove you full of bribery food to make you tolerate him and his inadequacies.

You walk a mile as fast as I run one...ha.  Good luck getting ready for the tough mudder!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Thursday -

I ate a cookie and drank a cherry coke for absolutely no reason. But since my lunch was late I wasn't really hungry for dinner so it mostly evened out.

Then I went to the gym and did the "chest & tri's" routine. Lots of presses and flyes. I felt like a bad ass doing the presses with the barbell and somewhat silly doing flyes with itty bitty 5lbs dumbbells. I could have done higher weights but the first time through I'm starting low and focusing on form. And just getting comfortable in the gym with the bros. They're not obnoxious bros but I hadn't seen so many guys before that fit the stereotype of needing a leg day :P 

After the gym I came home....and promptly took an hour nap on the couch. At 7:30pm.

Today I need to figure out how to tell the Saturday gaming group that I'm quitting. I'll probably phrase it as "I need to take a break because work/life in nuts right now" but mild anxiety makes that harder than it should be

• Like 2

Rant of the day:

A couple of years ago we got a new boss, who I refer to as Boss Lady. Personally she drives me nuts because she's the "loves to shop" type and fits a lot of the girly stereotypes (which I very much do not fit), all while being a morbidly obese woman in her 50's. She also eats constantly (she seriously brought pretzels to a meeting yesterday and was eating them while talking) but also complains constantly about how much her knees hurt.

Professionally she has enough redeeming qualities that I like her, but she still drives me nuts. She's so disorganized it affects everything I do. Meetings are constantly rescheduled, often more than once. I'm always waiting on her to approve things for far longer than I should have to before I can move on to the next step. She wants to change everything, which I agree with, processes here haven't changed in 20 years (we literally have a billing system that's 10 years older than I am), but she won't tackle one thing at a time. She's trying to change everything at once and it all just stalls out. Her disorganization and Kevin's incompetence are why I can look like a super star while feeling like I can and should do much more. But it's hard to be motivated to do more in this environment

This is brought on by the fact that she's supposed to be out today (and then all of next week) so yesterday she should have gotten all batches/journal entries/etc approved before she left. I came in this morning with none of mine approved and an email that she will be in this morning. I have like eight things I can't do until she approves my stuff, one of which she's had for at least two weeks.

The good news is that while she's gone I can probably catch up on a lot of important but non-urgent tasks because I won't have her constantly interrupting me with pointless meetings or projects that she wants me to work on but hasn't taken the time to organize her thoughts on before trying to ask me to do it

• Like 1

Wasted my rant too soon in the morning. Just had a convo with Boss Lady; apparently last night after I left Kevin asked her questions about a meeting we had earlier where he completely missed the point of what we told him to do. Boss Lady and I are both completely baffled about how he managed to misinterpret. He somehow took "don't make changes to spreadsheets where heads of divisions ask for revisions" to mean "don't use the latest version that the head of a division gave you, use the old version from two months ago"

This doesn't even get into the problem that these revisions should have been made two months ago but he's so slow at doing anything that anytime he gets to working on it things have changed and he has to redo it

I need this very badly today

8 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

He somehow took "don't make changes to spreadsheets where heads of divisions ask for revisions" to mean "don't use the latest version that the head of a division gave you, use the old version from two months ago"

Well if I can't make changes to that spreadsheet it must mean that you meant I need to change the old spreadsheet! Right?

I feel your pain. When you have someone around that you dont' trust enough that you try to make everything you tell them as clear and as idiot proof as possible. Because (for reasons only the universe knows) it's your job to make sure they don't mess up their job and even though you go through all that time and effort to make sure you are as clear as possible they still find a way to get it wrong.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

6 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Well if I can't make changes to that spreadsheet it must mean that you meant I need to change the old spreadsheet! Right?

Apparently he took it that if he can't make changes to it no one else can either

6 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I feel your pain. When you have someone around that you dont' trust enough that you try to make everything you tell them as clear and as idiot proof as possible. Because (for reasons only the universe knows) it's your job to make sure they don't mess up their job and even though you go through all that time and effort to make sure you are as clear as possible they still find a way to get it wrong.

Unfortunately I know why it's my job. Out of the four accountants (including BL) I've been here the longest. Kevin is a close second but he's only been an accountant half the time. BL is also trying to promote me into an accounting supervisor position that doesn't actually exist yet. Because of governmental red-tape I have to do the job first and tell HR that since I'm already doing the job, I should get the promotion and raise that go with it. So I['m his trainer and boss without actually being his "boss"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Unfortunately I know why it's my job. Out of the four accountants (including BL) I've been here the longest. Kevin is a close second but he's only been an accountant half the time. BL is also trying to promote me into an accounting supervisor position that doesn't actually exist yet. Because of governmental red-tape I have to do the job first and tell HR that since I'm already doing the job, I should get the promotion and raise that go with it. So I['m his trainer and boss without actually being his "boss"

Actually that is similar to when I had the same problem :) I  knew why it was my problem but I sure wasn't being paid for it to be my problem. But then I was and  everything worked out in the end.

Serious albeit kind of callous question though:

Spoiler

I spent far too long in a supervisory role and as part of the panel that did all the hiring for my old department but, if he is truly incompetent and you do become his supervisor how hard would it be to put him on review and fire him? Babysitting someone who is always making problems becomes even more stressful if you are actually responsible for their mistakes and sometimes it really is the only answer. I only ever had to go down that road once and I felt absolutely awful for it because the guy was really nice but so incompetent it made everyone else's job so much harder and I spent more time babying him than doing my job.

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

1 minute ago, jonfirestar said:

Serious albeit kind of callous question though:

Reveal hidden contents

I spent far too long in a supervisory role and as part of the panel that did all the hiring for my old department but, if he is truly incompetent and you do become his supervisor how hard would it be to put him on review and fire him? Babysitting someone who is always making problems becomes even more stressful if you are actually responsible for their mistakes and sometimes it really is the only answer. I only ever had to go down that road once and I felt absolutely awful for it because the guy was really nice but so incompetent it made everyone else's job so much harder and I spent more time babying him than doing my job.

Basically impossible. We're governmental and union and firings just don't happen without serious issues. Someone hacking into a director's email is the only time I've heard of someone getting fired. I don't think I'd have the authority to discipline or fire him anyway, that would still be up to BL.

I will say part of his problem is that:
a ) We have zero documentation for procedures. It's hard to know what to do when there's no training manual or procedures. I'm working on it but that's a massive undertaking and I hate writing procedures

b ) Everything is changing (my issue with BL above) and he's more the type that needs a steady, day-to-day workflow and we just don't have that right now. BL disorganization just makes it even worse. Kevin's own disorganization isn't helping things either (oh, and that's a whole other rant)

c ) I'm honestly not the best trainer. I talk too fast, I ramble, and without procedures I don't always explain in a straight line. We had an issue this morning where I was getting really frustrated that he wasn't getting something until I remembered that he didn't do this piece of it last year (and it's a once a year thing). I was talking to him like he should know it instead of explaining the detailed steps he needed to do. That one was on me

These don't excuse all of his issues, or really even half of them, but I do need to keep them in mind when working with him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

a ) We have zero documentation for procedures. It's hard to know what to do when there's no training manual or procedures. I'm working on it but that's a massive undertaking and I hate writing procedures

b ) Everything is changing (my issue with BL above) and he's more the type that needs a steady, day-to-day workflow and we just don't have that right now. BL disorganization just makes it even worse. Kevin's own disorganization isn't helping things either (oh, and that's a whole other rant)

c ) I'm honestly not the best trainer. I talk too fast, I ramble, and without procedures I don't always explain in a straight line. We had an issue this morning where I was getting really frustrated that he wasn't getting something until I remembered that he didn't do this piece of it last year (and it's a once a year thing). I was talking to him like he should know it instead of explaining the detailed steps he needed to do. That one was on me

Wait a minute... are you me? I guess these kinds of problem happen to be quite common. Mores the pity :D

Having the authority to fire someone isn't really the be all and end all. You just need to be in a position to be listened to seriously but I had a feeling that it would be all but impossible in your case.

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Friday is my full rest day and that's exactly what I did. I ate too much and fell asleep on the couch around 7:30, got up at 8:30 and went straight to bed and back to sleep.

Today I get my ass back on track with food so all that working out can actually do something for me. I'm working on my meal plan and just requested a couple of vegan cookbooks from the library. I don't really want to go full vegan but a couple of my favorite and healthiest recipes are vegan ones so I'd like to add a few more to my meal rotation.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Friday is my full rest day and that's exactly what I did. I ate too much and fell asleep on the couch around 7:30, got up at 8:30 and went straight to bed and back to sleep.

That sounds like a sucessful rest day! I'm going to try and emulate you on my rest day tomorrow :D 

rest11.jpg

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

That sounds like a sucessful rest day! I'm going to try and emulate you on my rest day tomorrow :D 

You should probably leave out the excessive chocolate covered peanuts and chinese food though. My weight was the exact same this morning as it was yesterday morning though....so maybe I needed excessive chocolate and chinese along with my sleep :D

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

You should probably leave out the excessive chocolate covered peanuts and chinese food though.

spoil sport!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Woooohoooo rest days!  The couch is my FAVORITE accidental nap stop!!

• Like 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

Maigs! I'm sorry I'm just finding your challenge now...

Blergh, I'm sorry about all the work nonsense. Seriously, the worst.

Keep in mind that you can always use the RAGEr chat to vent; don't feel obliged to keep up with the chatter!

• Like 1

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Following along...I love a good rant! Been missing you on RAGErs chat...totally understand though. 

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

Saturday

I did legs at the gym. It was somewhat glorious. I'm getting more comfortable with my form on the squats. I'm enjoying RDL's more than expected. Luckily the normal legs day has barbell RDL's and the optional leg day that I'm going to be skipping has the dumbbell single leg RDL's because I do not have the balance to do single legs well :D My glutes are already pretty sore today so I'm a little afraid of how they'll feel tomorrow.

I finally got the email out to the Saturday gaming group. I worded it as taking a break while work is crazy and that I'd be happy to join in any one-off adventures, I just don't have the spare brain power for a full adventure. The game may be on break by the time work calms down anyway due to life events happening to the guy hosting

Then I went to work for a few hours and got some good quality work done while it was all nice an quiet. Even got a four page procedure written (8 down 489 to go...) Another rant on Kevin; he seems to think it's a badge of honor to put in ridiculous hours even though we're salary so no overtime. He actually bragged about a time at his old job where a cop knocked on his office window to ask him why he was there at 3am. Luckily for me, management here does not agree with him so I'm not looked down on for working just my 40 hours/week 90% of the time. Anyway, Kevin is often in on the weekend which ruins the point of me going in since I only come in on the weekend for the super quiet I need for certain tasks.

Overall food was pretty good. I had a very late lunch, then snacked on some kettle chips at work, and wasn't hungry for dinner so calories pretty much evened out

On 9/16/2017 at 7:00 PM, Stribs said:

Woooohoooo rest days!  The couch is my FAVORITE accidental nap stop!!

I actually got another nap yesterday but it was in bed and planned. Saturday afternoon naps are amazing and part of our regular routine

10 hours ago, Fonzico said:

Maigs! I'm sorry I'm just finding your challenge now...

Blergh, I'm sorry about all the work nonsense. Seriously, the worst.

Keep in mind that you can always use the RAGEr chat to vent; don't feel obliged to keep up with the chatter!

No worries. I kinda just disappeared from the RAGEr chat. I'll be back, maybe even soon since we're getting close to a weirdly quiet eye-of-the-storm period of the crazy time at work. Hopefully I can get enough prep work done and procedures written so that crunch time is less stressful.

It's weird, I always prided myself on being a semi-rare non-anxious introvert who handles stress well. I don't know if I changed or if the cumulative anxiety/stress over the years has finally broken be down. But I'm learning how to step back to a level that keeps my sanity

10 hours ago, honeybadger said:

Following along...I love a good rant! Been missing you on RAGErs chat...totally understand though. 

Good to have you. I think I heard you had a new challenge up, I need to go find it

• Like 2

Dammit Kevin.  Go be annoying somewhere else!  At least you got a great workout and freed yourself from your game night!  Have a great week!!

• Like 1