Maigahane Rants and Raves for a Month

Maigs

3 minutes ago, Stribs said:

Dammit Kevin.  Go be annoying somewhere else!  At least you got a great workout and freed yourself from your game night!  Have a great week!!

I didn't make it clear but he was not there yesterday so it was awesome. And when he is there he actually has the good grace to not talk to me. Last time he didn't even say goodbye when he left which shocked me (since I'm his pseudo-supervisor he's gotten in the habit of telling me whenever he's going to be away from his desk for more than 10 minutes *facepalm* I need to put an end to that because I do not need to know and do not care). I'm just weird about doing certain tasks like writing procedures. It has to be perfectly quiet and I have to be in the right mood and even the noise of someone typing in the cube next to me or using the printer throws me off.
Oh, and the procedure I wrote was for the thing we had an issue with Friday that was totally my fault. So tomorrow I can give it to him to read the step by step instructions of what we're doing and why and apologize for the confusion last week.

I hope you're week goes smoother too Stribs!

• Like 1

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

6 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I'm just weird about doing certain tasks like writing procedures. It has to be perfectly quiet and I have to be in the right mood and even the noise of someone typing in the cube next to me or using the printer throws me off.

Maybe because it's the most tedious job in the world? I hate doing it but it needs to get done.

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Sunday

All my grand plans for the day almost went to hell but I pulled it together. Food was delicious but not on track. I'm sure I ate my day's calories just at breakfast (pancakes with peanut butter, jelly, and syrup *drool*). Then Hubs and I played Gauntlet on the PS2 for....I have no idea how long but I got my character from 1st level to 34th. And we had french bread pizza for a late lunch (weekends tend to be 2 meal days with late breakfasts followed by late lunches). Then at 4pm I finally made myself go out for my run. I took all of your advice and slowed down to about a 12 minute/mile pace and made it to 1.6miles. My breathing was better than last time but I started cramping on both sides of my ribs and was almost home by then anyway (stupid TomTom wouldn't connect to the gps for almost a mile so I got a longer warmup walk than normal). So maybe I'll mix up my runs with a speed mile and a slow long run.

Then I made it to kickboxing and beat the crap outta the bag. I'm seeing better endurance in class too. It's an hour long and the instructor is a freaking beast. I have no idea how a person can have that much energy. But I was doing a much better job of keeping up and doing less modifications. Maybe in a couple more weeks I'll try actual burpees

On 9/16/2017 at 11:35 AM, Maigahane said:

I'm working on my meal plan and just requested a couple of vegan cookbooks from the library. I don't really want to go full vegan but a couple of my favorite and healthiest recipes are vegan ones so I'd like to add a few more to my meal rotation.

Ugh, these were a bust. I swear I'm not a picky eater but it seems like all the recipes had eggplant, lentils, squash, meat substitutes, or weird ingredients my grocery store doesn't carry. I'm not against meat substitutes but I don't want them in everything I cook. I like having vegan recipes that are normal recipes that just happen to be vegan

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Ugh, these were a bust. I swear I'm not a picky eater but it seems like all the recipes had eggplant, lentils, squash, meat substitutes, or weird ingredients my grocery store doesn't carry. I'm not against meat substitutes but I don't want them in everything I cook. I like having vegan recipes that are normal recipes that just happen to be vegan

The best vegetarian recipes are the those that aren't trying to pretend to be something else. I've got a real issue with meat substitute but that might just be because I'm not a vegetarian :)

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

4 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

The best vegetarian recipes are the those that aren't trying to pretend to be something else.

Right?! I see so many "lasagna" recipes that don't have noodles or cheese. No, just give me a damn lasagna.

6 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I've got a real issue with meat substitute but that might just be because I'm not a vegetarian :)

Most vegetarians/vegans will agree that you can't think of them at meat substitutes because they're just not the same. "This chicken substitute doesn't taste like chicken!". No, but it's still yummy. Just think of it as a whole new ingredient, not a chicken replacement. But tofu and tempeh just aren't very good to me, and the meat substitutes I like are actually trying to replace meat and are pretty processed and I try to avoid overly processed foods.

I am torn overall though, since I'm a vegetarian for mostly environmental reasons, and using meat substitutes is better environmentally than actual meat. I prefer real, unprocessed foods, but it's a step in the right direction so I can't dog it too much

I have a vegetarian/non-vegan/not-even-remotely-healthy/but-oh-so-delicious recipe that uses a ground beef substitute, and you wouldn't want to use actual ground beef in it. Mom said she actually did it once and it was horrible. That's how I prefer my "meat substitutes", as a non-meat substituting ingredient

11 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I'm just weird about doing certain tasks like writing procedures. It has to be perfectly quiet and I have to be in the right mood and even the noise of someone typing in the cube next to me or using the printer throws me off.

Are we the same person? I have to constantly update our training manual and I have to be in just the right mood to do it. If anyone distracts me for even a second, I'll end up sitting staring at the page for 20 minutes before I can start writing again. 

Well done on the run! I'm glad slowing down a little worked for you. 

25 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I swear I'm not a picky eater but it seems like all the recipes had eggplant, lentils, squash, meat substitutes, or weird ingredients my grocery store doesn't carry. I'm not against meat substitutes but I don't want them in everything I cook. I like having vegan recipes that are normal recipes that just happen to be vegan

I was going to suggest looking on the Vegan Society's website, but when I looked at it most recipes used at least one of the ingredients you mentioned!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

7 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Are we the same person?

I'm starting to think we are as often as we ask this question :D

13 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I was going to suggest looking on the Vegan Society's website, but when I looked at it most recipes used at least one of the ingredients you mentioned!

I'm checking it out anyway and found a couple promising ones including this Thai sweet potato bean stew. Hubs may not like it because he doesn't like sweet potatoes but I think it sounds delicious. The only ingredient I'm not sure about is the lemongrass

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I'm checking it out anyway and found a couple promising ones including this Thai sweet potato bean stew. Hubs may not like it because he doesn't like sweet potatoes but I think it sounds delicious. The only ingredient I'm not sure about is the lemongrass

Not sure because you've never cooked with it before or you don't like it? If it's the former just make sure you remove the outer leaves and pound it like it's wronged you in some way before adding it! Or if you have these Lazy bottles over there, they save a lot of effort. If it's the latter, I guess you could just leave it out?

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

Monday

I was doing great on food, but then Hubs passed a certification test at work and wanted to celebrate so we got Dairy Queen. I know their blizzards are huge calorie bombs, but I always forget how big. My small blizzard was 850cals. Then we played more Gauntlet and I didn't get to the gym, but I did add another 10ish levels to my character :) So an unplanned rest day but I have a plan to make sure I get to the gym tonight and to eat according to my goals.

22 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Not sure because you've never cooked with it before or you don't like it? If it's the former just make sure you remove the outer leaves and pound it like it's wronged you in some way before adding it! Or if you have these Lazy bottles over there, they save a lot of effort. If it's the latter, I guess you could just leave it out?

I've just never cooked with it before. I'll have to keep a look out for something like the Lazy bottles.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Damn Dairy Queen, I tell ya!

Ah well, today is a new day! Follow your plan!

It's not something we do often (hence why I forget how many calories are in a blizzard) so I don't feel too bad about it

Part of the problem yesterday was I had to run to the mechanic after work for a really minor fix but it took almost an hour to drive there, get it done, and drive home. If I had just been able to come straight home I would probably have made it to the gym. It's sad how easy I get thrown off plan when something minor gets thrown my way

27 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I've just never cooked with it before. I'll have to keep a look out for something like the Lazy bottles.

The first time I cooked with lemongrass I didn't know what to do with it so just chopped it finely. Chewing little pieces of lemongrass isn't nice! So now if I need to use it, I buy the Very Lazy bottles!

2020 Races: 

Maigs is snacky :(

Between Boss Lady being gone and weird timing of year end stuff I'm in the annoying mode of waiting for multiple people to do the next step of multiple processes before I can do my next step on any of them. In short, there's not a lot I can do right now so I'm bored. And a bored Maigs is a snacky Maigs. I already ate my lunch and still have four hours left to try and motivate myself to do non-important and non-urgent tasks while ignoring the jalapeno kettle chips on a nearby table

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

Maigs is snacky :(

:( There is nothing quite so bad as being bored and snacky. Except maybe stressed out and snacky. 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

:( There is nothing quite so bad as being bored and snacky. Except maybe stressed out and snacky. 

Stressed and snacky is the worst.

I figured out a way to keep myself busy though. Training new-and-wonderfully-competent coworker Trevor! Trevor was recently promoted to accountant and this will be his first year going through the audit. There's a lot of things we only do at year end and right now we don't even do them for his section but next year we will. So I'm training him to be a backup and as pres for when we change how we're doing his section he has some base knowledge of what to do.

Trevor was hired into Kevin's old position when Kevin got promoted. I wished Trevor had been hired as an accountant instead of promoting Kevin (he applied for it but didn't make it to the interview process because of the way our HR works). But then Boss Lady decided that we needed less of the lower position and more Accountants so Trevor got promoted a few months ago. So a half-win for me I guess, at least I get one competent coworker :) 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Monday

I was doing great on food, but then Hubs passed a certification test at work and wanted to celebrate so we got Dairy Queen. I know their blizzards are huge calorie bombs, but I always forget how big. My small blizzard was 850cals. Then we played more Gauntlet and I didn't get to the gym, but I did add another 10ish levels to my character :) So an unplanned rest day but I have a plan to make sure I get to the gym tonight and to eat according to my goals.

Sounds like a good day, despite a bit of deviation.  Congrats to your husband!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Tuesday

I did everything right and stuck to the plan. Food was exactly on point. I went to the gym and lifted right after work. Came home and made my planned dinner. Then went out for a run. But then my run freaking sucked. The goal was to do a mile in 10:30-11:00. Just a slight push to go faster than my 11 minute/mile pace. I only made it .6 mile before I had to walk. Picked back up my run at .7 mile but still didn't make it to the mile mark. It is so freaking frustrating. How can I be this bad at running? How the hell am I supposed to do a full Mudder in 3.5 weeks when I can't even run a mile?

I just feel like I've completely stalled this year. My weight has barely budged (1-2lbs since January), my measurements haven't really changed, my running still sucks, and I can't seem to stick to any plan. Yeah, it's great that I haven't gained weight, but I've been trying to lose.

I'm just so frustrated and ragey and I want to drink all the caffeine but I know that will only make things worse.

And to add to my frustration today, they updated the computer at my Wednesday office to Windows 10 but Microsoft Office doesn't work so I don't have email or excel which makes me basically useless. I called IT and he said he'd be here in a few minutes, over an hour ago

• Like 1

Wednesday

I got to feeling better yesterday. I did some reading on how to not hate running and the general consensus was to slow the fuck down (image that, I feel like I've heard that same advice before...somewhere...). As No Meat Athlete blogger (who's done ultras) put it "If you’re terrified of seeing someone you know because you’re going so slowly, you’re doing it right". Fine. I will slow the fuck down and focus on increasing mileage before increasing speed.

So after work I went straight to the gym, hopped on the dreadmill, set it to 4.5mph (13:20 minute/mile pace) and very slowly jogged two miles straight. I could have kept going but didn't want to over do it and I needed time to do my shoulder workout. I did my shoulder workout, skipped out on the ab exercises because I ran out of time and hurried home to eat before people showed up for game night.

I ate mostly on track yesterday. From being frustrated the day before/morning of I didn't do a great job of planning what/how i would eat while trying to cram a workout in between work and gaming so I bought peanuts from the vending machine (330cals) to hold me over at the gym until I got dinner. Then we were hosting game night and I ate a snack bag of Cheetos (160cals) and a couple of pieces of chocolate (100cals maybe). Acceptable since dinner was rushed and small, but I really should plan better for these things. I did keep myself from grabbing the large back of tortilla chips and just chomping away all night so that was a win.

• Like 3

I'm glad you've got a plan for continuing to run without making yourself miserable (for me, that's a lost cause!).

I'm glad to hear that you're not completely surrounded by idiots at work! It helps.

• Like 1

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

16 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

I'm glad you've got a plan for continuing to run without making yourself miserable (for me, that's a lost cause!).

Have you tried going so slow you feel like you're walking :P I can't say it was a fun run but I didn't hate it and want to cry out of frustration like Tuesday's run

16 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

I'm glad to hear that you're not completely surrounded by idiots at work! It helps.

Nope; one idiot, one horribly disorganized boss, one grandma who is very sweet but never shuts up, one grandma who is very quiet, and one very competent guy my age who talks an appropriate amount :) And a whole crew of engineers who are a blast but that I don't work with on a day to day basis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

I got to feeling better yesterday. I did some reading on how to not hate running and the general consensus was to slow the fuck down (image that, I feel like I've heard that same advice before...somewhere...).

Imagine that :D I, for one, am happy that you decided to slow the fuck down. I want everyone to learn to love running. It's great!

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Before reading today's update, I was going to tell you to go slower! :D When you do Tough Mudder, you aren't going to be running for long periods, nor will you want to go fast. You'll be stopping and starting so much at obstacles. But you've done OCR's before, so I don't need to tell you this do I! 

52 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I want everyone to learn to love running.

I so don't want to be that person who doesn't stop talking about how great running is. But I'm so that person! 

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Imagine that :D I, for one, am happy that you decided to slow the fuck down. I want everyone to learn to love running. It's great!

I was having problems coming to terms with just how slow I need to go. I know I can walk at 4mph so I can probably speed walk the 4.5mph that I was doing last night. But I also remembered that when I finished C25k years ago I did it at 4.5mph. And by the end felt like I could go on at that speed indefinitely

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Before reading today's update, I was going to tell you to go slower! :D When you do Tough Mudder, you aren't going to be running for long periods, nor will you want to go fast. You'll be stopping and starting so much at obstacles. But you've done OCR's before, so I don't need to tell you this do I!

TM worries me because it's twice as long as any OCR I've done so far. And my last two 5k ones have proven that my running ability has taken a serious hit since the beginning of the year when I accidentally ran that 8-9 miler

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I so don't want to be that person who doesn't stop talking about how great running is. But I'm so that person! 

Don't worry, I'm becoming that person for OCR's. I almost brought it up in an Executive meeting I sat in on today while Boss Lady is out. I did decide to wait and bring it up to the Wellness team on their own :)

• Like 1

Semi-Adulting/Semi-Self Pampering things I need to get around to making phone calls about:

Spa Day - I've never had a massage, I think I'm going to just treat myself here soon

Grooming appointment for Fluff - he's WAY past due for a bath and better brushing than I can manage

Detailing Hub's car - She's 10 years old and still his 2nd love so I think I'm going to get her detailed for him

Chop off my hair - I think it's finally long enough to donate so I'm hoping to lose 8-10 inches soon

Tattoo design - I've been wanting 1 or 2 more tattoos for years but I'm not even a little bit creative and only have the very vaguest ideas of what I want. I just need to get into a shop and have them try and sketch something for me

10 hours ago, Maigahane said:

slow the fuck down

That's what I was going to say, but I also completely understand how hard it is. 

4 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Detailing Hub's car

So many wife points for this.

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill