Maigahane Rants and Raves for a Month

Maigs

Thursday

Food was mostly on point. I had room in my calories to have seconds at dinner but I was starving when I got home so I ate some tortilla chips while dinner was cooking and only had one serving of the casserole so it evened out.

I should have gone to the gym to do chest & tri's but ended up staying home and playing more video games with Hubs. We're both very nerd-lite when it comes to video games so this is rare for us. I figure once we beat this game we'll be done for another couple of years. I'll plan on going go to the gym tonight. My calves are super tight right now so I need to work on stretching them out before I try running again.

I made the grooming appointment for Fluffer and have numbers for the spa and the car detailer. Hubs and I are actually doing a couples massage/pedicure package since neither of us have done either (funny story, Hubs has had more manicures than I have....he's had one!). I think I know what Tattoo parlor I'm going to try but I want to do more research before I get a hold of them.

I have to figure out how I'm handling this weekend. I need to get in two lift sessions, one run, a few hours at work (in blessed, blessed quiet to write another procedure) and there are TWO games nights planned, one at my house. Oh, and Fluff is getting groomed tomorrow. When can I just relax?

14 hours ago, Cheetah said:

So many wife points for this.

I mean, he's kept this car for 10 years now and even after it got hit recently he made a comment about how he's "only" planning on keeping it another 2-3 years. It's been mostly maintenance free and still runs like a champ so I don't mind spending a little money to make her all pretty for him.  Plus the inside is gross and needs a deeper cleaning then I know how to do

• Like 2

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Seems like you're going pretty strong keeping yourself on track with food (especially in the face of tortilla temptations). And sorry that you're still dealing with Kevin's vast ineptitude even when he's not around!!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Friday

Not as good as it was supposed to be. We ordered pizza and I skipped the gym. I think my calories were about 500 over.

The good news:

• My new dining table was delivered! I'm geekily excited about this because it's small enough to fit nicely in my small house but expands to long enough to fit a gaming group around it. It's oak so it should last forever. And it matches our bookshelves we bought a few months ago since we bought them from the same place
  • I went to the gym this morning
  • Fluffbutt is much less fluffy and stinky
  • My house is mostly clean in preparation of hosting game night tomorrow
  • I scheduled my massage for a week before Tough Mudder
  • I already have 10k steps for the day

Now I have to decide if I'm going to the other game night tonight or if I'll bail. Other things I still want/need to do this weekend:

• Run
  • Leg Day
  • Grocery Shop
  • Bike to the library to return the two cookbooks that were busts (I could drive and they're not actually due for another 2 weeks, but I'm done with them and want to bike it)
  • Finish cleaning the house before people show up tomorrow
  • Nag Hubs to clean litter boxes/kitchen/gutters
  • Like 3

Saturday

Yesterday was an awesome day. I got up semi early and went to the gym for chest & tris day. Took Fluff to the groomer and now he's so handsome. Food was mostly on point, I snacked on some jalepeno kettle chips at work while raging at Kevin but stayed within my calories. I skipped out on game night and went to the other gym to try and run again. I stuck to my 4.5mph (13:20 minute/mile) pace and did a full freaking 5k without stopping. I could have gone faster or longer. I left the gym feeling so awesome and energized.

I'm trying to figure out my plan going forward. I don't want to overdo things but I do want to be able to go a bit faster. @jonfirestar what did you do between finishing C25k (in your own way) and getting to where you run freaking half marathons?

• Like 3

Very late to the party, but following.

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I stuck to my 4.5mph (13:20 minute/mile) pace and did a full freaking 5k without stopping. I could have gone faster or longer. I left the gym feeling so awesome and energized.

Congrats on the milestone!! (kilometerstone?)

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

18 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I'm trying to figure out my plan going forward. I don't want to overdo things but I do want to be able to go a bit faster. @jonfirestar what did you do between finishing C25k (in your own way) and getting to where you run freaking half marathons?

Well done with the 5k! That is faster then the 5k I ran when I finished up C25K. :)

I also ran that half marathon at about 6.5 mph :) but I don't think that there are any secrets. For a couple of months after c25k I would run 30-40 minutes 3 days a week. Basically working at at slowly edging down my 5k times. After that I started to divide my workouts into different types of runs. I'd do 2-3 easy miles, hill repeats and along easy run. With my long run I'd extend it by a mile each week, in that way I was able to slowly extend it from 4 miles up to 10 miles over the course of about 2 months.

I did that for a few months until I signed up for that freaking half marathon. At which point I started my current plan which is lots and lots of running :) but I'm doing it because I wanted to do well on that half marathon. I could have finished it with just running 3 days a week.

But basically the secret is that I stuck to it throughout and kept building up on my progress.

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

20 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Very late to the party, but following.

Welcome Kestrel! It's not much of a party though, more of a "Maigs barely clings to her sanity while bitching and moaning" :D

4 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

For a couple of months after c25k I would run 30-40 minutes 3 days a week. Basically working at at slowly edging down my 5k times. After that I started to divide my workouts into different types of runs. I'd do 2-3 easy miles, hill repeats and along easy run. With my long run I'd extend it by a mile each week, in that way I was able to slowly extend it from 4 miles up to 10 miles over the course of about 2 months.

Thanks! That pretty much what I was thinking of doing. Run 2-3 miles 3ish times a week at my super slow pace and just slowly increasing speed as I'm feeling good. Since I can't regulate my own speed yet I'm going to be doing it on the dreadmill so I've picked out a show on Netflix to watch while I run that's about a 40-45 minute run-time. Hopefully it's good, I've heard good things about it, The 100.

• Like 1

Sunday

The day started out great. In the morning I did leg day which I'm definitely feeling today. Squats used to kill my quads but now that I'm doing better at keeping my weight on my heels instead of my toes my quads are fine but my glutes are super sore. I tried barbell lunges (I still type "lunches" first every damn time!) this time and my form was awful. Next time I'll either need to go down to body weight with a broomstick or dumbbells.

After my workout I went to the grocery store while Hubs cleaned the house. Then I still had a couple of hours before people were supposed to show up so I decided I was feeling good and went for another run. Since Saturday's run was so good I bumped my speed all the way up to 4.6mph (13:04 minute/mile). Probably between running a 5k the day before and doing legs that morning it was a bit harder compared to Saturday's run than I would have expected. I still ran the whole thing and even sped up to 4.7mph for the last 1/2 mile or so hoping to squeeze the 5k in under 40 minutes. I finished at 40:24, exactly a minute faster that Saturday.

Then we hosted game night. I started out good on food, eating lots of roasted veggies. Then Hubs brought out the chips and salsa and self control is non-existent with those. Then one friend brought out some weird trail mix she bought at a bake sale and the parts I liked no one else did so I ate the pretzels and butterscotch chips. It wasn't a huge amount, the whole thing fit in a sandwich sized ziplock and most of that was fritos and marshmallows (I told you, this was weird trail mix) but I really didn't need or want it. I also ended up with a cherry coke that I had decided I didn't really want but then 10 minutes later found myself asking Hubs to make for me without actually meaning to. Nothing really horrible but the lack of self control is frustrating

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Thanks! That pretty much what I was thinking of doing. Run 2-3 miles 3ish times a week at my super slow pace and just slowly increasing speed as I'm feeling good. Since I can't regulate my own speed yet I'm going to be doing it on the dreadmill so I've picked out a show on Netflix to watch while I run that's about a 40-45 minute run-time. Hopefully it's good, I've heard good things about it, The 100.

I also did that stage on the dreadmill. It is hard to learn to pace yourself. It's still not something I'm particularly good at tbh. That's where gps watches really come into their own. Though I've said it before and I'll say it again. I really didn't enjoy running until I abandoned the dreadmill. :) it also helps to have specific goal races where you want to do well at. At least that has really helped keep me motivated long term.

You know, I find lunges easier with a barbell than with just bodyweight. Something about the added weight helps keep me more stable!

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

27 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I also did that stage on the dreadmill. It is hard to learn to pace yourself. It's still not something I'm particularly good at tbh. That's where gps watches really come into their own. Though I've said it before and I'll say it again. I really didn't enjoy running until I abandoned the dreadmill.

I have a gps watch but I think I need to learn what a good pace for me feels like before I can make it work outside. I tried slowing down and was still going faster than I was aiming for. I much prefer running outside both in terms of enjoyment and overall training but baby steps

33 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

You know, I find lunges easier with a barbell than with just bodyweight. Something about the added weight helps keep me more stable!

I can see that, spreading out the weight to the sides a bit. But I can't go down as far as I should with the extra 45lbs so I need to work my way up to that

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Then we hosted game night. I started out good on food, eating lots of roasted veggies. Then Hubs brought out the chips and salsa and self control is non-existent with those. 

This = me

We get suuuuuper healthy salsa to balance out the chips (sort of balance...ya know).

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Monday

Did fairly well again. We finished off the pizza we ordered Friday, I ate less than expected because my huge piece had a lot of chicken overflow from Hubs side (We get BBQ chicken pizza with no chicken on half) and so I just gave it to Hubs to finish. I made it to the gym and did Shoulders. I thought about doing a short run just to loosen up the legs muscles a bit but it was 8pm by then and I just wanted to get home.

12 hours ago, Stribs said:

This = me

We get suuuuuper healthy salsa to balance out the chips (sort of balance...ya know).

There's a meme for this but I'm at work and can't meme.

We get a pretty healthy salsa too. It's actually delicious and tastes sweet but doesn't have added sugar. And I make sure I get the chips that have like three ingredients, still not healthy but at least I'm not eating overly processed crap

Tuesday

Lots of ranting and raving went on in my head yesterday. Between Kevin being Kevin and not understanding what he was asked to do and me trying to help with something that only happens occasionally (last one was two years ago) and all of the backup I found for the last three instances were inconsistent and didn't match the actual journal entry, I was a ragey Maigs.

But I got home, put a lasagna in the oven and went for a run. I started at 4.6mph and felt good after a mile so I sped it up to 4.7mph. Then I was cutting it close to squeezing in under 40 minutes so for the last quarter mile-ish I kept bumping it up until I was at 5.5mph. I finished in 39:45. I was in a much better mood when I got home and I ate my lasagna and played more Gauntlet with Hubs

I watched the first episode of The 100 during my run. It was pretty good, though it had a definite Hunger Games feel to it. It came out perfect were I had a minute left after my run was done so I did a short cool down walk

Tonight is the night my house is invaded by children so I will definitely be lifting, possibly running too. And I may try to go to the store before hand and buy more workout clothes

• Like 2

Wednesday

Slightly less ranting and raving at work but holy crap people; if you do something at work, especially if it's less often than once a year, MAKE GOOD DOCUMENTATION! I think I have this issue figured out but it's been a bit of a struggle. It looks like the last three times we've done this we've made at least three correcting entries because it didn't get done right the first time and there's no documentation for any of it

I didn't have any leftovers for lunch so I tried out a new food court thing near my secondary office and got some Thai. Apparently I really love curry because it was amazing. I also found a fast food curry place near home that I'll have to check out sometime

We did not get invaded by children so I went straight to the gym after work and did back & bi's but did not run. Got home and Hubs (who's been working crazy overtime) wanted a steak so we went out for dinner, I got a salad.

I foresee today being a lot of stress with a big budget kickoff meeting (where lunch will be provided, I have no idea what they're bringing) and a meeting right after that that I am not prepared for (but the guys in that one are really laid back and fun so not so bad).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Slightly less ranting and raving at work but holy crap people; if you do something at work, especially if it's less often than once a year, MAKE GOOD DOCUMENTATION!

I'm going to add to this. Also if you ever want anyone else who isn't you to be able to do it without asking a thousand questions. Writing documentation sucks but it saves so much time.

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm going to add to this. Also if you ever want anyone else who isn't you to be able to do it without asking a thousand questions. Writing documentation sucks but it saves so much time.

Yup! That's been my main focus, is getting the day to day and annual stuff documented. At least that stuff is easier to follow so we're not completely hosed without it. But this latest thing is for a bond refinance which doesn't happen on a regular basis and apparently we have a history of not getting it right the first time and having to make adjusting entries which makes it even harder to follow

29 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Mmmm Thai curry! I wish I had fast food options like that near me.

I had no idea either of these existed until yesterday and I drive by both of them fairly often. So maybe you do have them and just haven't discovered them yet

30 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

You're slaying it with the workouts and the runs lately! Congrats on the sub-40 mins 5k!

Thanks! Hopefully this motivation sticks around and it becomes a real habit. I just have to focus on being consistent and try to not worry too much about getting faster or stronger

• Like 2

Thanks! Hopefully this motivation sticks around and it becomes a real habit. I just have to focus on being consistent and try to not worry too much about getting faster or stronger

Things you cannot control: how your body responds to the training you do.
Things you can control: showing up.
Things to worry about: things you can control.
  • Like 4

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Pre-made deli sandwiches means no options for the vegetarian. I had a lunch was in the work fridge....in another office 10 miles away. So my lunch today was a bag of baked lays and two cookies. I'm hungry :( I could have brought something to keep in my car in case of this if I had remembered but instead my only options were to go hungry or get McD's fries. I opted for hunger but now I have to figure out how to survive until dinner without eating everything in my kitchen that doesn't require cooking first

Thursday

16 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I opted for hunger

Turned out to be a bad option. As soon as I stopped running around between meetings my blood sugar dropped and I became a useless slug. Looking back I could have easily stopped by Subway running between offices but I didn't think of it at the time. so my last hour of work was useless because I couldn't concentrate.

I made it home, ate a protein packed frozen burrito and some whole grain bread, then once I was feeling more human I made corn chowder for dinner.

Then I went for a run and unintentionally ran another 5k pr. By a whole 7 seconds. I just stuck to a steady 4.7mph pace and finished at 39:38.

Wednesday hubs and I beat Gauntlet (which I don't think I'd done before despite playing for many hours years ago) so that makes 2 or 3 video games I've beat. Why 2 or 3? Well, that depends on if you could when I beat the final boss on Icewind Dale repeatedly, but every.single.time my computer froze before I got the official "You beat the game" screen. Anyway, now he's all excited about playing more games so we ordered a second usb controller so we can play some lego games he bought off Steam. In order to qualify for free shipping (because I'm too cheap to pay for Prime) I also ordered a new band for my Fitbit because mine is dying, and a new workout tank

Today I'm tempted to make a sign for my cubicle that says "Today is National "Do not Disturb the Maigs" Day. Please observe appropriately"

• Like 1

Friday

Was a rest day. I don't even remember what I did Friday besides work and make dinner

Saturday

I got up, went to work for 4 hours, came home to hang out with hubs between him working and gaming. Ordered pizza, ate a reasonable amount. Napped. Went to the gym for Chest & Tris (and holy hell 3pm on a Saturday is the time to go to the gym, it was the emptiest I've seen) then went back to work for 4 more hours. I had planned to run yesterday but I was on a streak at work and stayed longer than I expected. After that I vegged on the couch and watched Gremlins for the first time. I somehow missed out on a lot of classics as a kid so I'm slowly working my way through them

Tough Mudder is in 2 weeks. I'm a tad scared but I'm stubborn so I'll show up and I'll finish

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Tough Mudder is in 2 weeks. I'm a tad scared but I'm stubborn so I'll show up and I'll finish

Tough Mudder should fear you! It is exactly the race that the only thing that is needed is a little stubbornness ;) 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler