Maigahane Rants and Raves for a Month

Maigs

Probably a good idea not to go crazy on squats right before Tough Mudder. Knock the weights down a little this week and next week (recovery) and you can get back to squatting like a maniac the week after! 

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

3 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah probably for the best :P

3 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Probably a good idea not to go crazy on squats right before Tough Mudder. Knock the weights down a little this week and next week (recovery) and you can get back to squatting like a maniac the week after! 

You two and your logic :P Tonight is definitely a rest day since we're watching the new Blade Runner movie. I might get a walk in if the weather cooperates but that's it. Tomorrow will depend on if kids invade my house or not, probably an easy run, maybe a light lifting session. Maybe going back into work....

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop at work. I feel like I must be missing about 18k things I should be doing but I'm not quite sure what they are. Plus I have another 13k things I need to do in a couple of weeks and I just have this feeling all 31k things are going to hit me at one, right after a three day weekend and I'm going to go stark raving mad

But on a good note, I did finally find a HUGE thing of natural peanut butter (one ingredient!). It's even bigger than my normal peanut butter jar. It works well in my PB&J oatmeal but not quite sweet enough that I'll be eating it with a spoon like I have a tendency to do with peanut butter. Now I just need to find a healthier option for the jelly part :)

Current Challenge:  Maigs Marches On

Tuesday

Nothing too exciting. We watched Blade Runner (which I don't recommend) so I didn't have a lot of time between work and that. I made dinner* and went for a quick 2 mile walk. Food was good except at the theater we got free junior popcorns and Hubs gave me most of his since he had candy. They were small (a little paper bag maybe six inches tall) but I shouldn't have eaten them, I felt kinda sick afterwards. *repeats to self* when I eat crap I feel like crap when I eat crap I feel like crap

*I made a recipe I've mentioned before that originally was called English Sirloin Pasties but after adjusting the recipe it no longer has sirloin or pasties. When Hubs asked what I was making I told him and said "I really need a different name for these". He came up with Non-Beef Yummies. Sure, we'll go with that I guess :P 

Three days until Tough Mudder.....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Pasties but after adjusting the recipe it no longer has sirloin or pasties

Okay I'm confused. How can a pasty have no pasties? If you take the pasty out of a pasty it ceases to be a pasty and it's just a collection of veggies? So did you just have potato, swede and carrot? Very confused.

Woo Tough Mudder hype!

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

4 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Okay I'm confused. How can a pasty have no pasties? If you take the pasty out of a pasty it ceases to be a pasty and it's just a collection of veggies? So did you just have potato, swede and carrot? Very confused.

Lol. It's onion, potatoes, carrots, butter, ground beef substitute, heavy whipping cream, and herbs. It's supposed to be put into a pie crust but Hubs and I agreed that was worst part of it and it's so high calorie (plus hard to get vegetarian pie crusts) so I just added more whipping cream and we eat it from a bowl :D

It's probably an American bastardization of a pasty and even when made according to the recipe doesn't remotely resemble and English pasty

6 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Woo Tough Mudder hype!

Hype. Terror. Same thing right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Lol. It's onion, potatoes, carrots, butter, ground beef substitute, heavy whipping cream, and herbs. It's supposed to be put into a pie crust but Hubs and I agreed that was worst part of it and it's so high calorie (plus hard to get vegetarian pie crusts) so I just added more whipping cream and we eat it from a bowl :D

That sounds like a pie and not a pasty. :) bastardization is certainly the right word fort. Pie crust isn't that hard to make, you know. Then creating it vegetarian is quite simple (making it vegan would be harder without using shortening).

30 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Hype. Terror. Same thing right?

I think so, yes :D You'll be fine you've got this!

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

4 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

That sounds like a pie and not a pasty. :) bastardization is certainly the right word fort. Pie crust isn't that hard to make, you know. Then creating it vegetarian is quite simple (making it vegan would be harder without using shortening).

It's not pie shaped though (at least not what I think of as pie shaped). You lay a pie crust flat, fill one half, and fold the other half over. More like a calzone :) The recipe did give instructions to make your own crust and it's vegetarian but it also was our least favorite part and made a big mess (flour everywhere). We just do without. It's already high calorie from the whipping cream anyway. And it's freaking delicious my way :P 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

It's not pie shaped though (at least not what I think of as pie shaped). You lay a pie crust flat, fill one half, and fold the other half over. More like a calzone :) The recipe did give instructions to make your own crust and it's vegetarian but it also was our least favorite part and made a big mess (flour everywhere). We just do without. It's already high calorie from the whipping cream anyway. And it's freaking delicious my way :P 

Fair enough. That's a pasty (although not without the pie crust, non-beef yummies is more accurate). I was confused by the use of the word pie crust rather than pastry :P. Not that there is a difference. and yeah. I rarely eat anything with pastry for much the same reason..

A large selection of what you guys call pie we'd call tarts but not all of them. It makes it confusing. Rather like the word cookie. The other thing is that when a brit talks about pie they probably are referring to something savoury rather than a dessert. Not at we don't do dessert pie, we do we'd qualify it as apple pie, or cherry pie or whatever.

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

Nothing too exciting. We watched Blade Runner (which I don't recommend)

What didn't you like about it? A part of me wants to go see it, even though I think the original is a bit overrated, but the other part of me doesn't want to spend 3+ hours in movie theater seat.

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

5 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

What didn't you like about it? A part of me wants to go see it, even though I think the original is a bit overrated, but the other part of me doesn't want to spend 3+ hours in movie theater seat.

I didn't watch the original until this weekend so I had zero nostalgia for the movie. About all I can say is that the new one was in the same vein as the original. It even had the horrible 80's electronic chords for most of it's "music". It didn't make a ton of sense and tried to be edgy and surprising but failed (IMO). Also, a gratuitous amount of boobs. I don't mind boobs, but even Hubs thought it was silly how much they put in there. And while it didn't have a creepy rape scene like the first one there was still a semi-creepy sex scene.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I didn't watch the original until this weekend so I had zero nostalgia for the movie. About all I can say is that the new one was in the same vein as the original. It even had the horrible 80's electronic chords for most of it's "music". It didn't make a ton of sense and tried to be edgy and surprising but failed (IMO). Also, a gratuitous amount of boobs. I don't mind boobs, but even Hubs thought it was silly how much they put in there. And while it didn't have a creepy rape scene like the first one there was still a semi-creepy sex scene.

I don't have the nostalgia for the original either as I only saw it a few years ago. I think my enjoyment of the movie is purely as a visual spectacle.  I have to admit, I do love the soundtrack! 

I'm glad you brought up the sex scene from the original. I've always seen that as a rape scene but when I mentioned it to a few die hard fans, I got a look of derision like I didn't know what I was talking about! 

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

54 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm glad you brought up the sex scene from the original. I've always seen that as a rape scene but when I mentioned it to a few die hard fans, I got a look of derision like I didn't know what I was talking about! 

Definitely a rape scene. Though I'm told it wasn't in the original theatrical version, that it got added into the director's cut much later, like in the mid-2000's maybe. Maybe they looked at you like that because they had only seen older versions and hadn't seen that particular scene? I like to hold out hope that most people would consider that rape. Hubs said he watched CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for it and they both commented on it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Definitely a rape scene. Though I'm told it wasn't in the original theatrical version, that it got added into the director's cut much later, like in the mid-2000's maybe. Maybe they looked at you like that because they had only seen older versions and hadn't seen that particular scene? I like to hold out hope that most people would consider that rape. Hubs said he watched CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for it and they both commented on it.

The argument was more that they saw it as Rachel being confused about her implanted emotions and so although she wanted Deckard, she ran away (or some similar bollocks). Lousy defence IMO. if someone doesn't have the capacity to understand their emotions and they are scared by them, they can't really give consent. Ergo, rape!

I find it amazing that some people are quite happy to justify sexual violence against someone in a movie just because they don't want their hero to be tainted. But then again, we live in a world where the mental abuse in fifty shades of gray is considered romance, so what do I know.

After this discussion, maybe I don't want to go see the new blade runner afterall! 

2020 Races: 

Wednesday

Got in my last run before the Tough Mudder. I did a slow 5k in 39:07 and it felt really good. I decided another reason my run this weekend sucked was because I wasn't on my normal dreadmill that is directly under a fan. I love that fan :) 

Other than that; food was good, I got a walk at lunch for the first time in a while, I checked off most things on my group challenge for the day. Freaked out on and off about the Tough Mudder.

• Like 2

Don't freak out! You are going to have the best time at Tough Mudder. 

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

Freaked out on and off about the Tough Mudder.

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

^ What she said! Don't freak out! You are going to have a lot of fun!!!

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

13 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

^ What she said! Don't freak out! You are going to have a lot of fun!!!

It's my brain I'll freak out if I want to!

I can freak out and still have fun

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maigahane said:

It's my brain I'll freak out if I want to!

I can freak out and still have fun

That's fair. "Freak out" away. Honestly I don't think I've done a race yet where I've not totally freaked out beforehand.

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Thursday

Did for the day except we went to Olive Garden for dinner. I got the soup, salad, and breadsticks which wouldn't be bad if I didn't have 3 breadsticks. I got in a walk at lunch and did most of the things for the individual challenge.

Today I'm packing and driving out to Tough Mudder. The evil foam roller is in coming with me

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Today I'm packing and driving out to Tough Mudder. The evil foam roller is in coming with me

Yay! I'd wish you good luck but you don't need it! You are a badass Ranger and are going to kill it and have an amazing time doing it :)

Just don't blame me when the evil foam roller happens. ;)

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Thursday

Did for the day except we went to Olive Garden for dinner. I got the soup, salad, and breadsticks which wouldn't be bad if I didn't have 3 breadsticks. I got in a walk at lunch and did most of the things for the individual challenge.

Have fuuuun! Enjoy the freaking out too [emoji14]
  • Like 1

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Have a great time! I'm looking forward to your race report!

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

12 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Thursday

Have fun at your race!!!!  No judgement on the soup. salad and breadsticks.  The only reason I haven't had them in ages is because we don't really go to chains because we have a ton of great local places.

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

2 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

More details to come but I Mudder'd

Woooo! Well done :D can't wait for the details! 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler