• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chris-Tien Jinn

What's Your Next Adventure, Chris-Tien?

At the end of August, hubby and I went up to the Apostle Islands for a long weekend.  We haven’t had a vacation in probably 7 years - so this was a major event for us after dealing with a lot of life changes, deaths in the family, and putting down our old dog.  

Trip photos really only show the first day since it rained for the rest of the trip.

One of the best parts of the trip, as you can see from the photo album,  was the cruise around all of the Apostles, including sidling up to the island sea caves (vs. the mainland caves outside of Bayfield).  It’s a three-hour cruise (weather permitting), and so we talked to a few other people who were near us, including a couple who are long-distance bicyclists and who were making a 2-week tour around the whole of Lake Superior.  Naturally, we swapped stories of canoeing and kayaking trips and my various foot races and had a good time.  One of the cyclists shares a birthday with me (she’s three years younger), and so it felt like a really special trip.  

After the cruise was done and we’re getting off the boat, one of the cyclists stopped to say goodbye and asked what my next adventure was going to be.

hqdefault.jpg

I really was dumbfounded for a moment.  I was tempted to say that all of my adventures - now that I’m 57 - were now well behind me.  But I just couldn’t.  For one thing, the guy (named JOE STILLER) could be Ben Stiller’s brother, if Ben Stiller had a brother (I looked!!!), and I felt like it was the end of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, but he was saying “Ok, that was fun, now what are we going to do next?”  

Secret-Life-of-Walter-Mitty-6.png

When I got home, I found that I couldn’t shrug off that question: “What is your next adventure?”  I kept coming up with excuses why I couldn’t have any more adventures (I’m unemployed … I’m married …. I’m too old ….. I’m too overweight …. etc.), but the question has just not let me go.

What’s your next adventure??

And what is really standing in your way??

quote-obstacles.jpg

In fact, there’s been a lot of managing small goals and just plain survival over the past decade, but I’m coming to a point where I don’t really have much in front of me.  I really have NO goals at all right now.

And that’s scary.

But it is also freeing.

So, really, this challenge is about some self care and a respawn.  

Back in the day (1998 - 2005), as I was part of creating the Jedi Realist movement, I was in great shape.  Every day, I was inspired by the goal of being as much of a Jedi as is possible in real life.  I trained hard, meditated, studied all of the different ways that we can improve and increase our effectiveness and help others, and I taught both online and in real life.  

Then the online community tore itself apart, and I lost a lot of myself.  With that goal gone its memory sullied, I have drifted.  I’m not sure that I can get what I was back, but maybe I can find a new way by taking up the training I used to do and teach at the Temple of the Jedi.  (Current spreadsheet)

Luke-Skywalker-Star-Wars-The-Last-Jedi-1

May the Force be with us!

brand.gif?itok=A0lvqG4j

• Like 7

Glad to have you back. Super glad the  three hour cruise didn't leave you shipwrecked on a deserted island.:lol:

Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Glad to have you back. Super glad the  three hour cruise didn't leave you shipwrecked on a deserted island.:lol:

Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure.

Exactly where my mind went when I read it.  Now I have to get the song out of my head!

what an amazing challenge.  I love the question and may dig deep to ask myself.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2017 at 5:36 PM, Elastigirl said:

Actually, people (Forest Rangers and volunteers) have gotten left on islands when conditions have gotten too rough to dock the boats!!   :o

• Like 2

OK, so week 1 is underway!!!  As a deviation from my usually over-planned challenges, I'm making this one up as I go.

Physical Fitness

• I love cardio.  Since I discovered distance running in college, I've enjoyed the peace and quiet of running a couple of miles and taking time just for ME.  These days, I'm alternating walking and running, but the draw is still the same.  It's my break time, and it usually VASTLY improves my mood.  If I am consistent with running (or martial arts ...), I don't need anti-depressants.  So 2 points for a RUN, and 1 point for getting in my 10K steps any way that I can.
  • I do not love strength training, but I do enjoy archery.  So, the carrot before my nose is that a strong upper body and core will improve my shooting.  And I need to improve!!  I got the prize for hitting the DO NOT SHOOT target most frequently this past weekend .....

Diet & Nutrition

• You can't outrun your fork.  I've been doing Weight Watchers on-again off-again for more than a year.  So, I've committed to trying it again ... seriously ... for 6 months.  Mostly because I want to use the points system to develop some good habits.  I appreciate the NF diet, but I really have trouble when some foods are off-limits, even if it's for a good reason.  That being said, I'm easing into it and establishing some easy success right off.  One point for each day I do what I've planned in the on-ramping department.

Attitude of Adventure

• I keep debating what to call the mental/emotional resilience necessary to keep going in the face of resistance, rejection, and failure.  Dan Millman's Peaceful Warrior series is an example of what I am seeking here, but the word "warrior" has always bothered me.  So many people have vastly different views of what a warrior IS that I am reluctant to use the title on myself.  

5008ed377539c752b3817dab8a6fc1f9.jpg

• I am going to be working on some items that are challenging for me.  I have not been able to find an job that doesn't require a LONG commute up into the Cities; so I am working as an independent software developer.  Right now, I'm coding for an academic colleague, but I am also trying to think of some small programming projects that would help motivate me (and maybe others) to work out.  
  • Probably the biggest challenge I have right now is to work on healthy relationships, and I have a tendency towards codependency.  So, I purchased the New Codependency book and will be working through it for at least this challenge, if not the next as well.  

Martial Arts Training

• Right now, I'm working on archery as my discipline, but as the weather gets cold, I may decide to jump back into karate at the Y.

Service

• I've been whining so much about NOT HAVING A JOB that I've gotten tired of listening to myself (!) and decided that if I can't find a paying job, then I'll devote myself to some volunteer activities.  We have a local chapter of the Coder Dojo ... and lo ... I am an experienced programmer and teacher.  I can help kids with learning to code and enjoy it.

Social

• And closely aligned with "Service" is practicing social skills by making myself get out of the house and do things with and around other people.  

Mostly, this challenge is all about one important thing:

get a life.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Dan Millman's Peaceful Warrior series is an example of what I am seeking here, but the word "warrior" has always bothered me.  So many people have vastly different views of what a warrior IS that I am reluctant to use the title on myself.  

That's because you're a Ranger my friend. Replace Warrior with Ranger and you'll be good to go as a Peaceful Ranger.

• Like 7

On 9/18/2017 at 6:45 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's because you're a Ranger my friend. Replace Warrior with Ranger and you'll be good to go as a Peaceful Ranger.

I learned from your earlier post that Jedi has a lot of meaning for you. Would it make sense to substitute that in?

• Like 1

So much good stuff going on here. I was in the Jedi Realist thing, obviously not with the amount of heart blood you put into it. I had followed a friend there, who was a Jedi before she even new there was a movement, and she was excited and I joined and I got involved with the At Your Own Pace Course and I enjoyed it. But it wasn't my ultimate fit, and so I kept drifting. But I am sorry, it holds painful memories for you.

The question about what adventurers lie ahead, I would have been stumbed to answer it too.... it is a good question.

I'm here to quietly support.

---

"Travel lightly, for what you bring with you becomes part of your landscape." -Anne Bishop

• Like 1

On 9/21/2017 at 5:16 PM, Elastigirl said:

How is week 1 treating the Peaceful Ranger/Jedi?

I like that ... Peaceful Ranger Jedi .....  Or maybe Peaceful Jedi Ranger!

I am, in fact, planning to watch the movie tomorrow night while hubby is working.  It's not as good as the book, but it will be a good, quick refresher.

Week 1 - I'm going to need to do some catching up tomorrow. 

Fitness

The unexpected heat wave has just been RIDICULOUS!!  At some points during the day, the calculated heat index was 138 degrees.  It was already so hot and humid at 9:30 am that I decided I would save the long run of the week for the indoor track at the YMCA tomorrow (when I do my strength training).  Instead, I tackled the tomato invasion: picked several pounds of ripe fruit, sorted and cleaned it, and brought the good stuff to the food shelf (they distribute produce on Friday afternoon).  The soft and over ripe stuff went into the compost bin, although I should cook it up and make pasta sauce next week.  After I deliver a bushel to my sister in law .....

latest?cb=20110214022323

Diet

This is going well, although I'm going to succumb to a gin and tonic tonight.  Oy!  

Next week, I will start to log food again and will try to generally stay within allotted points.  I get enough exercise that I should be able to eat enough to avoid feeling deprived, if I choose foods wisely.

Adventure Attitude

Man, I gotta block Facebook during the workday!!!  I really do want to get work done on this artificial life coding project, but I keep opening social media during the day and losing .... hours!!  Any recommendations would be welcome!

If I can get this social media twitch under control, I think I'll be able to be productive and then get in meditation at the end of the day or over lunch.  

Starting to work on the codependency has been interesting.  I have a hard time accepting "No" as a response to a request or invitation; so I have a lot of work to do on myself over the next while.  But I am hopeful that honestly addressing past pain and situations will reduce barriers to improving my health and will make it more likely that I will actually go on adventures rather than being stuck in perpetual planning mode or backing out at the last minute.  

a.jpg

Archery 

Didn't happen. Yet.  Windy.  Hot.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Working through codependency is tough, I'm proud of you for taking it head on.

And it is a real mess 'cuz I think both hubby and I have tendencies in this direction.  

Many days, I have to remind myself ....

c59286dac0072936f6aa39485df7ce93--not-my

• Like 7

News Feed Eradicator for Facebook. Makes endless scrolling not an option.

Also, I loooooove that phrase and am stealing you gif. Reapeats to self... not my monkeys...

• Thanks 1

Welcome back Chris-Tien, good to see you!

For blocking social media, you could have a separate web browser for work where you literally block Facebook etc. so you would have to open a new browser to go on there and not just a new tab. Also put your phone in a different room if you tend to get distracted by that.

Alternatively you could try the Pomodoro Technique and physically time you work and your social media breaks.

• Like 1

THANK YOU for the suggestions on managing my border-line Facebook addiction!!  I added News Feed Eradicator for Facebook to Chrome (my default browser).  It's great.  I have the things that I really need (groups and events!!) to keep on top of my social life, but that middle section time waster is GONE!!  And I look forward to adding my favorite motivational quotes.  

Wednesday, I tripped on some rough sidewalk and took a tumble. 

20130818_092251_RUSSIA-IAAF-ATHLETICS-WO

Another runner (coming from the opposite direction) helped me up and made sure I was OK.  A little scraped and battered, but I got up and finished the run.  Then I cleaned up cuts and took some ibuprofen when I got home, shaking my head at being so clumsy.  But I take refuge in the fact that it happens even to the best of us ... and I wasn't even on a nice, smooth track.

Thursday, I crawled out of bed.  I'd obviously broken my fall with my arms because my upper body was (and still is) pretty sore.  Like I hit the weight room much too hard.   I haven't let it keep me from getting in my steps, but I've put strength training and archery aside until I don't feel like I went a few rounds with the Hulk.

tumblr_mf8mztkxHK1rv1ckao1_500.gif

I'm planning to do my long run tomorrow (2.8 miles).  I should be feeling well enough to run, and the weather sounds wonderful.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

THANK YOU for the suggestions on managing my border-line Facebook addiction!!  I added News Feed Eradicator for Facebook to Chrome (my default browser).  It's great.  I have the things that I really need (groups and events!!) to keep on top of my social life, but that middle section time waster is GONE!!  And I look forward to adding my favorite motivational quotes.  

Yeah. It was a game changer for me. I hope it serves you well!

• Like 2