Sub six minute mile?

Things that mighthelp

• Speed drills - to run faster you have to train faster
  • Long runs - running longer often means your short runs will get faster
  • Weight loss - less mass moved with equal force means more speed
  • Running form technique - bio-mechanics are weird 
  • Like 1

More or less, this ^^

In high school I went from something in the arena of an eight minute mile to a 4:36 best time in the span of two seasons.   I used:

Structured Interval Training

The coach broke down our goal times into various short runs, and we ran them over and over.  Starting with 16 100 m dashes at the target pace, which was brutal.  Then slowly moving to fewer but longer runs, with some varying days.  For example, 200m runs, 400 m runs, and half mile runs, with a couple ladder days ( 100, 200, 400, 800, 400, 200, 100) and finally the mile at goal pace.    We did this 2-3 times a week, depending on our conditioning and performance.  The timing and pacing is the key, because you can do a lot to make yourself physically faster but if you don't train your mind and body to pace properly, you'll have serious trouble getting the time down.  Sometimes you have to slow down at first to go faster at the end.  I found this especially true for sub-6 minute timing.

Long runs

On alternate days from intervals, we ran between 30 and 60 minutes at a slower pace.  The only rule was no stopping.  Sometimes this may have included running hills.

Weight loss

I lost about 65 lbs, which was critical.  

Bio-Mechanics

I originally ran like a duck.  It destroyed my shoes and wasted energy.  My coach was relentless about form and good form saved me a lot of shoes, injuries, and time.

*Disclaimer: I did this when I was 17-18.  I'm pretty sure I'd die if I worked that hard, that fast today.  

• Like 2

Disclaimer: I've run sub-six-minute miles only handful of times in my life.

To the advice already given, I would add careful, deliberate weight training two days a week, depending on your schedule. Start with air-squats, lunges, both forward and rear, and maybe some iron chairs. Move to weighted lunges as you feel comfortable and dumbbell or barbell squats. I went through a period of about six week this year where I couldn't run so I turned to strength training. My first day back to running I ran my second fastest two-mile time ever.

Mechanically, running is a function of how fast your legs turnover and how much force each step has. Speed drills and form fixes will help with your leg-turnover. Weight training will help with raw power.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nomad Jay said:

Disclaimer: I've run sub-six-minute miles only handful of times in my life.

To the advice already given, I would add careful, deliberate weight training two days a week, depending on your schedule. Start with air-squats, lunges, both forward and rear, and maybe some iron chairs. Move to weighted lunges as you feel comfortable and dumbbell or barbell squats. I went through a period of about six week this year where I couldn't run so I turned to strength training. My first day back to running I ran my second fastest two-mile time ever.

Mechanically, running is a function of how fast your legs turnover and how much force each step has. Speed drills and form fixes will help with your leg-turnover. Weight training will help with raw power.

I completely left that out. We trained with weights on long run days. It's also another critical component of speed, and at the time I didn't take it nearly seriously enough. I was fast but better weight training would have taken me to the next level. 

On 9/12/2017 at 5:35 PM, Sciread77 said:

*Disclaimer: I did this when I was 17-18.  I'm pretty sure I'd die if I worked that hard, that fast today.  

Laughed out loud at this...ain't that the truth? When I was last able to run a 6 minute mile I was doing cross country and track so what I did then was "work out 3 hours a day 5 days a week then also have a meet on top of that". I did mix it up though, because I did sprinting/throwing events in winter and spring track. I was a bit of an outlier because of that.

As for the actual question, what these folks said is great advice and should really help. Strength training and intervals (gotta get your body used to running that speed for a shorter distance just so it gets used to what it feels like).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Tin Man said:

Laughed out loud at this...ain't that the truth? When I was last able to run a 6 minute mile I was doing cross country and track so what I did then was "work out 3 hours a day 5 days a week then also have a meet on top of that". I did mix it up though, because I did sprinting/throwing events in winter and spring track. I was a bit of an outlier because of that.

I don't miss a lot about being a teenager, but I do miss the energy levels.