23 hours ago, Machete said:

Was able to follow the program to some extent until Thursday. Middle Splits on Tuesday, Front Splits and Cossacks on Wednesday, then I only got to Planche Dips on Thursday. Opened up for Friday morning Open Mat and was able to roll and catch up with a friend of mine. For the night kickboxing class a female Pro K1 fighter from Japan jumped in, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to jump into the mix. Good day Friday, but I missed my bodyweight programming.

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

Well, but, OTOH, most of what I've read about martial arts and S&C seems to indicate that rule 1 of a program is to assume the program will go off track at some point. So, really, you're as on program as most martial artists would be. Yeah?

Are you calling Machete average??

But seriously, missing bw training for martial arts training on one day seems like it was 1000% worth it. Would make that swap in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

On 1/7/2018 at 1:29 PM, Kishi said:

Well, but, OTOH, most of what I've read about martial arts and S&C seems to indicate that rule 1 of a program is to assume the program will go off track at some point. So, really, you're as on program as most martial artists would be. Yeah?

On 1/7/2018 at 7:18 PM, Urgan said:

Are you calling Machete average??

But seriously, missing bw training for martial arts training on one day seems like it was 1000% worth it. Would make that swap in a heartbeat. 

Ultimate Mediocrity is my middle name.

A lot of the days I think I'm just being lazy though. Haha. I think I need to start getting my training in before work. I tend to come home exhausted and nothing gets done after.

• Like 2

Mornings are the way to go with mid to later evening schedules. I feel more energetic on mornings after the gym.

• Like 2

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

On 1/10/2018 at 9:31 PM, Urgan said:

Mornings are the way to go with mid to later evening schedules. I feel more energetic on mornings after the gym.

More of a trade-off for me. The quality really suffers if I try anything before noon for some reason. Even when I was boxing and had to do roadwork, I would usually do it at midnight. And come to think of it, almost all of my injuries in the past few years happened during early morning training sessions.

GB was pretty much neglected last week. I always seem to skip Deload weeks, which I probably shouldn't. Got an early morning BJJ drill session in on Monday, hit the bags on Tuesday, hopped in on No Gi on Wednesday, and hit my Press Test and SFG skills on Thursday which kind of beat me up, particularly my shoulders. Opened up the gym on Friday and did some light Getups and Swings. Nobody was there, so I went for some solo drills on the dummy again (20 torreando, leg drag, x pass, pivot pass; 10 slo mo terere pass, straight ankle lock finish, step over kneebar, cartwheel kneebar, bottom half kneebar, and north-south choke). Jumped in on BJJ on Saturday for competition training. I've been rolling with white belts a lot and I'm seeing myself do a lot of stupid shit because it more often than not works on them. I'm feeling a bit more comfortable in my belt and impostor syndrome is easing-up a bit. I'll try to get a competition in if I get the cash  to see how it's actually working out for me. Deep 6 in a leather jacket on Saturday night after dinner just because.

As mentioned in my challenge, SFG re-testing is happening next week, so I'll be concentrating on kettlebell skills this week.

• Like 4

Tested Simple & Sinister on Monday with the 32kg. Still got it. Swings weren't that explosive. Hit up Side Lever Blocks and Straddle Ls, and my quads were blowing-up for the next 2 days for some reason. Small class for kickboxing, so I played around with the guys a bit. Tuesday seemed to virtually disappear. Logged 11 hours at work on Wednesday to cover for the morning coach, so I was too exhausted to try anything. Couldn't even get anyone to book a session in any of my 6 classes. I suck.

Thursday was 7 days out from my recert. Felt like shit, probably because I didn't eat much all day. Skills were easy. Press Test was a grind. Did the Snatch test by doing a set every 30 sec., which pretty much boiled down to 20 on, 10 off, attempting to go one-handed, because why not. Got to 70 on my right before I had to use my left. Got it in 4:50.

Alone again on Friday, but I'm not complaining. 10 Getup-to-Windmills then 10 unbroken one-arm Swings with a 40#, then solo drills. Leg Day, because why would you ignore 50% of the body? Torreando, Leg Drag, X Pass, Slow Mo Terere Pass, 2 Straight Ankle Lock finishes, and my 3 Kneebar entries. Hit some Open Planche and OA Chin Holds after.

Showed up for a workout at Maverick's on Saturday and found that I am severely lacking in work capacity. Once I get my shit in order I'll make it a point to show up at least once a month. On the plus side, I still have easy ring muscle-ups and peg board ascents.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2018 at 3:32 PM, Kishi said:

Looks like a fun gym to go play in. And even on your bad days, you're still stronger than me on my good days. Incredible!

It's owned by a StrongFirst guy who came from CrossFit. We actually competed in the same CrossFit competition two months before we went to the same SFG Level 1 cert, before going to the same Level 2 cert 3 months later, and we both assisted at the Level 1 cert this past weekend. Haha. I always get pressured to get amped-up and pick up heavy shit when I'm there, which is really not how I train. But you really can't argue with the talent that comes out of his gym. His student just smoked her Level 1, his wife reps out nearly half-bodyweight kettlebell Snatches, and he took 2nd on last year's TSC and just got Beast Tamer on Friday.

• Like 4

Started out Total Tension Kettlebell Complex on Monday to get YUGE. GB stuff is on the backburner, aside from Handstand and Planche, probably. Press Pyramids on Monday, Squat Pyramids on Tuesday with the 20kg. They cut some low-attendance classes at work, so was able to attend both a Kickboxing [as a student] and a BJJ class Thursday night. Empty open mat this morning, so I just reviewed my usual Half Guard kneebar entries, and drilled two Ashi Garami entries because Friday is #LegDay.

• Like 4

So on a shitty stroke of luck, I pulled my back AFTER a Total Tension Complex session, so I took a week off and abandoned that. Back is feeling better now, so I might go something lower volume.

Looking to get into more of the morning classes.

• Sad 1

Thanks, everyone. Back has been better. (Stopping all training for 4 days made it heal faster. Who knew?) Now I'll be focusing on Jiu-jitsu and double pressing. Eventually I'll want to get my BJJ frequency up, then perhaps compete next month or April.

• Like 2

Training has mostly been on my challenge thread. The high-frequency of Jiu-jitsu seems to be working well. I don't really know just how much the double KB work is helping, but it gets me at least disciplined in the strength training aspect. I'm slacking on cardio, but you can't catch two rabbits, much less three.

Handstands are coming along. Slow and steady.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Eh. Cardio is overrated. Unless you're that Goggins fellow. :D

In a world of chaos where nothing is certain for long, you can at least rely on this to remain true. 

• Haha 1

Wow, it's been a while. So I'm seeing that I'm still kind of on the same spot as I was last year. I seem to be wasting a lot of time probably because I don't have a specific goal I'm working towards. Ah, the difficulties of indecisiveness being a generalist.

I'm thinking I have to declare a goal in order to be accountable to it. Then I'll set some milestones working towards that goal.

Image result for i didn't shout it i declared it

In my job the way for me to get paid more is to get more hours training people, or get a belt promotion in jiu-jitsu. I will be trying to work on both for 2020. I would like to get to 10 additional hours of individual training/assessments a week, and successfully compete in 3 jiu-jitsu competitions a year. I'll be figuring out the milestones to reach working for these goals.

• Like 5
On 9/17/2018 at 12:59 PM, Kishi said:

As a similarly general person, I concur with these problems, and also believe in your ability to solve them.

Yeah, I listened to The War of Art again and have been constantly mulling over the concept of "going pro." I think I need a hardcopy.

• Like 1

Okay, so it's been a nightmare for the last few months involving experiments in prescription medication, but I think we've found something that works fine. I'm working on decreasing the stresses in my life and putting those in Fallout 76 instead. It's more of a long-term challenge, so I'll do it here.

Training: I have the next 2 months planned out with another run at a cycle of the Total Tension Kettlebell Complex (without getting greedy with the Snatch or Swing finishers), 2 weeks of Simple & Sinister, and culminating in the UAEJJF US Nationals. I plan on getting back on a real competition schedule next year. TTKC is currently on day 3 of 18, with 8 Presses and 9 Squats. I'm thinking of staying at this weight and really cranking the volume and the density.

Nutrition: I'll probably have to research what I can't take, but I've gone on a supplement plan to address my blood pressure and inflammation. Boswella Serrata, Rhodiola, Ashwagandha, Garlic Extract, Olive Leaf Extract, Curcumin, Fish Oil, and the occasional Hibiscus and Green Tea. Whey protein and Creatine Monohydrate, and a probiotic as well, and I'll start incorporating my Greens which includes Spirulina. I'm tracking HRV and blood pressure trends, and I'll have my blood drawn again next year. Might get some protein bars and post-workout shakes for convenience later down the road. Right now I'm looking to get back on MFP regularity, with a rough 2'742 daily calorie target, which is brutal, because I'm not used to eating often anymore.

Social Media: I've been more regular on Instagram, but not as regular as I'd like. I think I need to pre-shoot and pre-write a month of content at a time.

I figure I'll develop strategies to get better with these as  I go, but right now I just need to get started.

Image result for onward samurai

• Like 3

I’ve been taking a break from metrics right now aside from calories and moving a bit more towards the “sack-up” spectrum, but I’ll soon return to tracking HRV and BP for the heart, Grip Strength for neural readiness, and PHQ-7/GAD-9 for subjective mental wellness. I’m thinking once I’ll give it another week and let my eating catch up, because right now I feel sick from just eating food.

• Like 1

Nice to see you around again.  Sounds like things are pretty unpleasant now but I hope the new training and nutrition gets you back to a more stable place.

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11