Rooks: The Search for a Mission

Rooks

bc4f3bb643f742e682f1d90b1a1a450f.jpg

For a long while now, I've lacked any drive or determination to get back into working out. Back in the fall of 2015, I did a powerlifting meet. Didn't hit the numbers I'd hoped for, but it felt great and I hit the gym looking to drive ever closer to my goal of a 650kg total at 93kg. Then, the injury bug hit. My back just hasn't really wanted to cooperate since then. Earlier this year, I hopped on the GB bandwagon with the hopes of improving all around mobility and strength with the long term intent of getting back into the iron game. But my drive to get these workouts done has been nonexistent. I've had a few weeks where I was dedicated and I truly started feeling better (didn't wake up feeling stiff, saw improvements in movements, etc), but still, going downstairs to do 45 minutes of stretching does quite have the appeal to me as lifting 350lbs for sets of 5. But that's the rub isn't it? I know that if I ever want to get back to the heavy weights, I have to get myself moving well again.

So how can I make this my drive? How can I get excited about doing this? I honestly don't know. I want to be a person who makes staying fit and moving well a priority in my life as I want to be around and doing shit late in my life. But clearly, that idea isn't motivating enough to get me going. So this is where I am now. A lost warrior who wandered into the assassin den in hopes of finding the secret to longevity, but who cannot come to grips with the lack of desire to be here. 

#1: Update challenge at least 3x per week
I'm classifying this as a fitness goal as the last few times I've done a challenge, by about 10 days in, I just give up updating the thread and don't give a rat's ass anymore. It's more or less how a lot of my workout plans have gone over the past year. So I'm making it a part of my challenge to make sure I'm posting updates about the challenge at least 3 times per week. 

#2: Get in at least 4 sessions a week (2x Cardio, 2x Stretch)
Workouts won't be very assassin-y this time around as I've got The Hammer Race fast approaching (October 7th). I know I have the mental toughness to not give up and I'll get through it. That said, it's going to be a slow race unless I get some more cardio sessions in. In the past, my cardio has come back pretty fast as long as I've done even moderate work on it. My current plan is to get in one steady state run (probably around 2 miles unless I'm feeling good) per week and 1 HIIT type workout. Probably something like the Dan John WOD. The stretch routines will be from the GB programming with the hopes of keeping things loose. 

#3: No drinks until after the Hammer Race
Too long, I've been ignoring my drinking. It's not that I'm a drunk. I'm not always craving it. But it's become such a habit that on nights where I don't have a drink after my kid has gone to bed, it feels strange, like I'm missing something. That's concerning to me. I'm going cold turkey until after the Hammer Race and then I'll re-evaluate.

#4: Spend 5 minutes daily to work towards ANY of your yearly non-fitness goals or my to-do projects list
This one is spawned more or less from a post that @The Most Loathed made the other day. I need to force myself to do spend even 5 minutes per day on something that I have listed. I have two Google Docs that are sort of this ever-growing list of things I want to get done in the year or just projects I thought would be cool around the house. I need to spend time on that stuff if I truly care about it. And if I come to the realization that I don't care about it, great. It's off the list.

• Like 7

Daily Log ]

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I've been having similar sentiments about alcohol and also avoiding it for calorie reasons. Here for moral support!

What is the hammer race? 

The Hammer Race is a 10k Obstacle Course Race where you have to carry at least an 8lb Sledge the whole way. A few of the obstacles require it, but not as many as I'd hope for (at least when I did it in 2015). Last time, @EricMN , myself, and @Sloth the Enduring tromped through the woods. This year, I think Eric is getting replaced by @The Most Loathed because Eric is upgrading to a much more badass course (go see his challenge for more info).

• Like 6

Daily Log ]

Following.

14 minutes ago, Rooks said:

The Hammer Race is a 10k Obstacle Course Race where you have to carry at least an 8lb Sledge the whole way. A few of the obstacles require it, but not as many as I'd hope for (at least when I did it in 2015). Last time, @EricMN , myself, and @Sloth the Enduring tromped through the woods. This year, I think Eric is getting replaced by @The Most Loathed because Eric is upgrading to a much more badass course (go see his challenge for more info).

I can't join you on the course - doing the Hammer Race a week before my biggest event ever sounds like recipe for complete disaster - but I love The Hammer Race and am probably going to come down to spectate and support my Nerds any way I can.

• Like 4

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

Love the honest personal reflection here! 

I can't wait to see how you motivate yourself because I get the same feeling a lot of the time. The Hammer Race sounds like a lot of fun. :) 

Also Welcome to the Assassins!

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Hammer Race is the funniest concept ever. I love it.

19 hours ago, Rooks said:

I've had a few weeks where I was dedicated and I truly started feeling better (didn't wake up feeling stiff, saw improvements in movements, etc), but still, going downstairs to do 45 minutes of stretching does quite have the appeal to me as lifting 350lbs for sets of 5. But that's the rub isn't it? I know that if I ever want to get back to the heavy weights, I have to get myself moving well again.

So how can I make this my drive? How can I get excited about doing this? I honestly don't know. I want to be a person who makes staying fit and moving well a priority in my life as I want to be around and doing shit late in my life. But clearly, that idea isn't motivating enough to get me going. So this is where I am now. A lost warrior who wandered into the assassin den in hopes of finding the secret to longevity, but who cannot come to grips with the lack of desire to be here. 

Incentivizing stretching can be good -- maybe you can play a phone game you like only while stretching? Listen to a podcast? Something that you enjoy paired with the unexciting prospect of stretching out. I've always had the best luck pairing my onerous goals with things I enjoy or tacking them onto already established habits. I'm excited you are in our woods -- our dark, hidden grove. :D

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

So awesome that you guys all do the Hammer Race together. Glad you are back on the challenge threads!

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I think it was just [mention=3909]Sloth the Enduring[/mention]. i blame him for the whole mess. [emoji4]

Nope, I first heard about it on a Rook's thread. It's all his fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I'm following for HammerRacing.  I'll be joining in the fun this year... I 100% blame Sloth for the idea.  

• Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Challenge Log Day 3: So far, not ideal start to the challenge, but hey, I'm here posting so maybe that's something. Only going to post results for completed days. We'll see how that goes.

✦ Tuesday ✦ Update Log  ❌  ✦ Workout  ✅  ✦ No Drinks  ✅  ✦ 5 Minutes  ❌  ✦

First off, I'm always looking for a way to order my posts a bit more, so I'm trying out some emoji / symbol stuff in the day recap line to make it easier to read. If someone has troubles seeing that, let me know. Not sure how emojis function on mobile or Windows. I'm spoiled and have a Macbook Pro for work. 

Tuesday was mostly spent figuring out the specific challenge so I didn't figure much would get done. I did manage to get a workout in right away in the morning, but it wasn't really a workout that I would classify as good. Plan was to try to do rounds of 30sec of Farmer's Walk (36kg KBs) then 20 KB Swings (20kg KB). Think I managed maybe 2 and half rounds before just giving up, not because I was tired, but just because it felt stupid and I didn't have any drive to do it. When I got home from work, it was time for dinner. Post dinner, I was in charge of bath time and bed time for the night which means the hours of 7 to 9 are pretty much shot. I had intended on reading a bit for 5 minutes, but alas, I passed out on my kiddo's floor while putting her to sleep.  Woke up at 9:30pm and was super groggy and sleepy so just chatted with my wife for 15 minutes and went to bed. 

✦ Wednesday ✦ Update Log  ❌  ✦ Workout  ❌  ✦ No Drinks  ✅  ✦ 5 Minutes  ✅  ✦

Wednesday I ended up getting to work later than I wanted which meant late to home. My wife was working late so I was in charge of kiddo until about 6:30. Then, it was time to clean up the house and get stuff straightened up. I had intended on getting downstairs to do a stretch routine while my wife was putting the kiddo to bed, but then I realized I had screwed up something at work that they had wanted to get deployed that night. I tried to log-in and fix, but alas, I couldn't from home so I had delay some code getting out in my 3rd week of work. Woo! No big deal actually since it went out at 10am the next day, but just felt stupid because it was a dumb mistake. And to top it off I spilled water all over this expensive braille book that my daughter's school had loaned us. We tried to dry it out as best we could, but might end up fronting that bill as well. Needless to say, didn't feel like doing much after all that. I did manage to squeeze out a chapter of my book right before bed, so got the 5 minutes task done.

✦ Thursday ✦ Update Log  ❌  ✦ Workout  ❌  ✦ No Drinks  ✅  ✦ 5 Minutes  ✅  ✦

Thursday sucked. Kiddo had one of her days where she is just up at 4:30am. Happens about once or twice every month. For some reason, my wife can ignore her and keep sleeping. I can't so kiddo has learned to just harass me until she gets someone up with her. Usually ends with me yelling at her and telling her to stay in bed until 6am and tears and just shitty morning. It wasn't terrible this time as we eventually settled on that she could play in her room quietly at around 5:20am. Don't normally allow that until 6am, but I was exhausted. I wasn't going to get more sleep, but I could at least go lie down. Work was super busy. Things are ramping up (as I stated I'm only in my 4th week at a new job) and I'm learning that the company doesn't have much structure or process in place. That's fine, it's just an adjustment as projects are flying around like mad and you getting pulled in 5 different directions. I just need to make sure I'm very clear about what I'm doing and what I have time for with EVERYONE. Otherwise, I'll be swamped. Again, I'm ok with that, but coming from my last company, its an adjustment.

Once I got home I was able to finish my book, Authentic Leadership by Bill George. He was the Medtronic CEO back in the 90s. Talks about being a solid leader. I don't know. I like parts of it, but most of it was stuff I've read in other books, just from a different point of view. I did appreciate that he spent a lot of time talking about morals, but I'd be curious to hear the opinions of some of the employees of Medtronic if they felt he was a good CEO. Who knows though. Anyway, 11 books down for the year. 9 more to go to hit my goal.

No drinks yet, but I've been really concerned about actually telling my wife that I'm doing this. I'm probably making it up in my head, but I feel like she gets really self-conscious whenever I try to go sans-alcohol for awhile. So I've been hesitant to tell her that I have a specific goal and more just try and ride it out as I just don't want to for awhile. I should probably just chat with her as it's always better to just chat about stuff instead of letting crap linger, but ugh... sometimes that shit is hard. 

• Like 4

Daily Log ]

✦ Friday ✦ Update Log  ✅  ✦ Workout  ✅  ✦ No Drinks  ✅  ✦ 5 Minutes  ❌  ✦

Workout was GB Core, GB Lower Body, and 5 sets of Farmer's Walks (30s on, 30s off, 36kg KBs). Actually felt good as I was able to push myself a bit. Wanted to get some Front Squats in as well, but my kiddo woke up so I had to head upstairs.

Work was busy again. Feel like everyday is just mass quantities of information and I'm doing my best just to stay afloat. But I've got some people who seem to be pretty intertwined throughout the company saying I'm doing a great job and they are glad to see someone in the QA department doing good work. I've decided to not tell my direct co-workers about those comments.

Got home, and the weekend project started. My daughter was off to grandma's for the weekend, and we were going to do an overhaul of her room. For those not aware, but daoughter is pretty close to blind. Her left eye is like a 20/400 vision and her right eye is much worse. She came up to my wife the other day and said "Mom. I think I could see better if my walls weren't so dark." Well, ok. Time to paint these damn walls. She wanted yellow walls and we decided to replace all her black Ikea furniture with white stuff. Between my wife and I, we got the room emptied, got the first coat of paint on (straight white), and got 1 of the 3 Ikea pieces assembled.

✦ Saturday ✦ Update Log  ❌  ✦ Workout  ✅  ✦ No Drinks  ❌  ✦ 5 Minutes  ❌  ✦

Spent pretty much the whole morning doing as much on the room as we could. Got the painting done (3 coats of yellow to cover the red even with a coat of white). Got the other two pieces of furniture assembled. Got to the point where we were literally waiting for the paint to dry so I went downstairs and ran through a GB Middle Stretch routine. Then, we had a party. We had volunteered to be brew up some beers for a charity event for my daughter's school (a few people make beer, other parents buy tickets to come over and sample all the beer). It was super fun, and I completely forgot about this event when I made the challenge of not drinking at all. Anyway, I felt it would be strange if I was at a beer sampling party where I helped make 1/2 the beer, and I wasn't drinking so I decided to just go for it. I ate gobs of desserts, pulled pork sandwiches, and just general snack foods. 

✦ Sunday ✦ Update Log  ✅  ✦ Workout  ❌  ✦ No Drinks  ❌  ✦ 5 Minutes  ✅  ✦

I foolishly had booked an appointment to do a platelet donation this morning at 7am, despite my late night of drinking. I was pretty damn tired. But I still woke up at 6am after about 5 hours of sleep and went and gave blood. Definitely, thought about my kiddo and some of the kids I've seen in the Oncology clinic and it got me from cancelling. Got back home around 10am and helped my wife finish up the room remodel for my kiddo. Finally, had her room back assembled by 2:30pm. Kiddo got back from grandma's at around 4:30pm. Probably could have got in a workout, but opted to just keep working on stuff around the house like laundry and cleaning.

I did get a few minutes of reading in before the kiddo got home so 5 minutes got done. Will probably read a few more minutes before bed. That said, we did have a leftover growler from our party last night of really good stout and for anyone that has done growlers before knows, the carbonation will dissipate quickly. This is a delicious stout so I figured I'd just enjoy a delicious stout while watching the Packers as not to waste this stuff. Poor excuse, but I like beer. :) 

✦ Week 0 Summary ✦ Update Log  2/3  ✦ Workout  2/4  ✦ No Drinks  ❌  ✦ 5 Minutes  3/6  ✦

Onto the actual challenge weeks!

• Like 5

Daily Log ]

On 9/15/2017 at 10:02 PM, Rooks said:

No drinks yet, but I've been really concerned about actually telling my wife that I'm doing this. I'm probably making it up in my head, but I feel like she gets really self-conscious whenever I try to go sans-alcohol for awhile. So I've been hesitant to tell her that I have a specific goal and more just try and ride it out as I just don't want to for awhile. I should probably just chat with her as it's always better to just chat about stuff instead of letting crap linger, but ugh... sometimes that shit is hard. 

I get this.  Mi Veija was always in much better shape than me for most of our marriage, but now that I have been consistently working out while she hasn't has not had the expected effect.  I thought she would glad that I am in much better shape and love the sexy, sexy abs I won in the last PVP.  The reality is that now every time I she sees me working out it reminds her that she hasn't been and how much weight she has gained and it makes her feel fat (she isn't really) and ugly (she totally isn't)

• Like 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

hammer race, hmmm?

tumblr_m8924k5sNH1rsy50k.gif

On 9/15/2017 at 10:02 AM, Rooks said:

Kiddo had one of her days where she is just up at 4:30am. Happens about once or twice every month. For some reason, my wife can ignore her and keep sleeping. I can't so kiddo has learned to just harass me until she gets someone up with her. Usually ends with me yelling at her and telling her to stay in bed until 6am and tears and just shitty morning.

I'm not sure how old kiddo is but when my nephew was little (like, 3 or 4) I could tell him that he had to go back to bed until the sun was up. it worked GREAT in the winter, but summer was a little less sleep. maybe that will work?

ALSO I like your 5min. per day! I have tried to do that sometimes with hobbies and it makes a HUGE difference but sadly I have been very bad at forming a long-term habit.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

23 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

I think it's awesome that you dove right in and painted the walls and got new furniture for her. I am sure she will appreciate it. :) 

Yeah. She keeps using the exact phrase "I really like it... for now." It's like she's already a teenager. 

21 hours ago, Laghail said:

You're a superhero rooks. I support the decision to rest instead of burning out. Also that party sounds like a genius fundraising idea.

Not sure why I'm a superhero. Ikea furniture isn't that hard. :P  But for whatever the reason, thanks for the compliment.

✦ Monday ✦ Update Log  ❌  ✦ Workout  ✅  ✦ No Drinks  ✅  ✦ 5 Minutes  ✅  ✦

Monday, I got up early and did a Ruck with my 50lb Weight Vest. Got in 3.81km in 34:53 (2.36 miles). That's the fastest I've been able to do with the weight vest by far. I feel like I should be down nearing a 10min / mile pace for a 5k now, but we shall see later this week. 

Got to work and eight hours went by like nothing. I've been digging into so much crap to learn as much as I can for the last month. It's great to truly be getting challenged again where I need to learn so much. At the same time though, the company is very disorganized and there's not really a whole lot of structure to things. I seem to have gotten in well with some of the more important engineers (apparently they have been impressed with something I did, not sure what). So yeah... work is fully taxing my brain every day.

Got home, and immediately went to our small group (group through our church). Basically, its just dinner with another family at the moment, but they have 3 kids all below 5 and meals are crazy town. They are very lax with their rules and they never seem to follow through with their commands. "2 minutes and the tablet has to go off!" 10 minutes later they are still watching. Also, their kids refuse to sit down for meals. Our kid just sits there until her food is done and then politely asks to leave. There's are running around and demanding dessert without every touching their actual meal. It's definitely an exercise in my patience as I just want to start laying down the law on those kids, but that's not my job. Also, it's an ego check as I constantly sit there proud of my kid for being somewhat behaved, but need to constantly check myself as I'm just as big of a failure at parenting in other aspects. Guess it's just part of being a parent. Anyway, got around 9pm and didn't do much of anything. I got in a few minutes of reading so got the 5 minutes done. 

✦ Tuesday ✦ Update Log  ❌  ✦ Workout  ❌  ✦ No Drinks  ✅  ✦ 5 Minutes  ❌  ✦

My wife had to work a long day so I was in charge of both drop off and pick up. Kiddo was SLOW this morning so I didn't end up getting to work until almost 9. Day again went fast. Got home and was scrounging to get dinner ready as well as keeping the kid wrangled and dealing with a situation with our contractor. I was getting quite pissed at our contractor as he did something really stupid. Luckily, he was able to fix the situation himself and apologized so that calmed my nerves a bit and then my wife got home 2 hours earlier then expected so yeah. 

Got dinner done, put the kid to bed. Had planned on going downstairs to workout but scrapped that idea because I felt exhausted from work. Well, that back-fired a bit as my wife started talking to me and before I knew it, she had gone from talking about an upcoming vacation she's going on to crying about our daughter. She's having a very hard time with the fact that kiddo is learning how to use a cain (the types blind people use). It's really hard on her and she's feeling very self concsiouc about it. Honestly, I was struggling to stay involved in the conversation which made me feel terrible. But I did my best to comfort her and just listen. She knows it doesn't bother me at all, because frankly, ever since Sloan was diagnosed, I've stopped caring about what other think people completely. So yeah, didn't get anything done. 

✦ Wednesday ✦ Update Log  ✅  ✦ Workout  ✅  ✦ No Drinks  ✅  ✦ 5 Minutes  ✅  ✦

Another day where the wife had a long day so again, got to work at 9 (which I didn't point out previously, but stresses me out because I just like to be at work by like 7:30 to get a solid hour of work in before other people arrive in the office). 

Spent 95% of my day working on testing 1 thing, Google Home. Might think that sounds like fun, but given I was stuck on the simply getting it to work right the whole time, it wasn't. And the worst part, it was because of something I did. I mean, it was sort of unavoidable since no one knew how to do what I was trying to do (get a Google Home to interface with our Staging environment), but still frustrating. But anyway, it was well worth the work as I found a pretty big bug so hopefully people aren't too grumpy I burned a whole day.

Got home and found out the Danika got home plenty early from her day and did a total casual meal of brats, mac & cheese, and roasted carrots. It was quite tasty. I even got in 5 sets of Snatch Grip Deadlifts just because I needed to burn off some steam from the last few days (135/5, 185/5 x 2, 225/6, 225/10). 225 sets were strapped. Not sure if that's really enough "work" to constitute a workout, but I'll count it for now given it's better than nothing. Currently, reading through a chapter of my book, finishing up this log entry, and probably heading to bed soon. I did really want a drink today, but I did stay strong. I've been eating a lot of snack food at work (new gig has loads of free snack food all over and I haven't trained myself to refrain yet), but I have to imagine I'm still in a bit of a caloric deficit over my normal routines. Should be interesting to see where I'm at weight-wise next Monday.

• Like 5

Daily Log ]

19 minutes ago, Rooks said:

They are very lax with their rules and they never seem to follow through with their commands. "2 minutes and the tablet has to go off!" 10 minutes later they are still watching.

This always drives me nuts, and I see it all the time.  I have plenty of flaws as a parent but not following through when the law has been laid down is a no-go.  

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

11 hours ago, Rooks said:

Also, it's an ego check as I constantly sit there proud of my kid for being somewhat behaved, but need to constantly check myself as I'm just as big of a failure at parenting in other aspects.

Hey you should be proud that you are teaching your kid manners. It's fairly rare these days. Got to take the wins where you can. :) 

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

12 hours ago, Rooks said:

Got dinner done, put the kid to bed. Had planned on going downstairs to workout but scrapped that idea because I felt exhausted from work. Well, that back-fired a bit as my wife started talking to me and before I knew it, she had gone from talking about an upcoming vacation she's going on to crying about our daughter. She's having a very hard time with the fact that kiddo is learning how to use a cain (the types blind people use). It's really hard on her and she's feeling very self conscience about it. Honestly, I was struggling to stay involved in the conversation which made me feel terrible. But I did my best to comfort her and just listen. She knows it doesn't bother me at all, because frankly, ever since Sloan was diagnosed, I've stopped caring about what other think people completely. So yeah, didn't get anything done. 

I know the feelings you're describing. It helped me to connect with mrs laghail and understand her better when I tried to see it as, not her worried about what people will think of us, but more grieving a dream for us as a family that's now dead. Her reacting to the viable reminders weren't about her losing face, it was that the reality she hadn't wanted for us was now being shoved in her face. "Hope deferred makes the heart sick", just sucks.

Solid work on the wide grip DL. You got me inspired to try that on Saturday.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This always drives me nuts, and I see it all the time.  I have plenty of flaws as a parent but not following through when the law has been laid down is a no-go.  

Yeah. I feel like that's the one thing you need to follow if you want to have any hope of your kid listening to what you say.

12 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Hey you should be proud that you are teaching your kid manners. It's fairly rare these days. Got to take the wins where you can. :) 

Indeed. I definitely am as get compliments on her behavior a lot, but also gotta keep that ego in check. :) 

12 hours ago, Laghail said:

I know the feelings you're describing. It helped me to connect with mrs laghail and understand her better when I tried to see it as, not her worried about what people will think of us, but more grieving a dream for us as a family that's now dead. Her reacting to the viable reminders weren't about her losing face, it was that the reality she hadn't wanted for us was now being shoved in her face. "Hope deferred makes the heart sick", just sucks.

Solid work on the wide grip DL. You got me inspired to try that on Saturday.

That's some great insight and whole new perspective. Thank you for sharing that. I'm exciting to see you do probably double my weight and laugh at my weak lifts. 

✦ Thursday ✦ Update Log  ✅  ✦ Workout  ✅  ✦ No Drinks  ✅  ✦ 5 Minutes  ✅  ✦

Finally got to work reasonably early and got a load of stuff done. Before I knew it was 4:30 and time to head home. The company normally does a beer o'clock office happy hour on Thursdays from 3:30 to 5 that includes some sort of food. Today was ice cream and cookies. I avoided the beer, but goobled up a good amount of ice cream and 3 cookies. It was a moment of weakness.

Danika ended having to work a bit late (it's a crazy week) and was planning on heading off to a friend's charity event at a local brewery. Hence, it was me and the kiddo all night. And it was awesome. She was in full sweet heart mode and had a great attitude all night. I took her to the park and we played for a solid 30 minutes before heading home to eat some shredded beef tacos. She gobbled down close to more than I did. Then, I let her watch an episode of Puffin Rock, while I took out the trash and did the dishes (TV is reserved for pretty specific times normally, but my wife and I have agreed that solo parent nights are probably a solid time for it). Then, we played a bit more. I taught her how to dribble and she was so happy when she did it the first time. It's not something you really think about, but the idea that dropping a ball and catching it after it bounces only once can be SO exciting to someone is truly awesome. It took her a few tries and then suddenly she was doing it all every time. She was jazzed. I was jazzed. She was insisting we "fiesta" after every one, which is basically just yelling with excitement and waving our hands wildly. It was awesome. Then, it was bed time so got that all squared away.

Finally, went downstairs, hammered out 30 minutes of GB's Thoracic Bridge. I still can't do anything with the last 10 minutes of that workout. I really need to look up on the GB forums for ideas. All the exercises seem to use Stall Bars for elevated bridge work. I don't have that and need to find a substitution or get off my butt and just build some stall bars.

Came upstairs just in time for my wife to get home. We chatted for a bit, then I finished out my book for my 5 minutes task. I read through "How Did You Do It, Truett" by S. Truett Cathy, founder of Chick-fil-A. I found this at my wife's office and it was 90 pages. Figured what the hell since I've been on a business kick lately. It was simple but had some solid points. Nothing mind blowing. Puts me at 12 books for the year. 8 to go with less than 4 months. Going to be tough. Up next I think I'm going to either go with fiction (maybe start the Lord of the Rings) or a Rob Bell book. Not sure yet. 

• Like 5

Daily Log ]

5 minutes ago, Rooks said:

Danika ended having to work a bit late (it's a crazy week) and was planning on heading off to a friend's charity event at a local brewery. Hence, it was me and the kiddo all night. And it was awesome. She was in full sweet heart mode and had a great attitude all night. I took her to the park and we played for a solid 30 minutes before heading home to eat some shredded beef tacos. She gobbled down close to more than I did. Then, I let her watch an episode of Puffin Rock, while I took out the trash and did the dishes (TV is reserved for pretty specific times normally, but my wife and I have agreed that solo parent nights are probably a solid time for it). Then, we played a bit more. I taught her how to dribble and she was so happy when she did it the first time. It's not something you really think about, but the idea that dropping a ball and catching it after it bounces only once can be SO exciting to someone is truly awesome. It took her a few tries and then suddenly she was doing it all every time. She was jazzed. I was jazzed. She was insisting we "fiesta" after every one, which is basically just yelling with excitement and waving our hands wildly. It was awesome. Then, it was bed time so got that all squared away.

That sounds like an awesome way to spend the evening!  

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

Your daughter sounds adorable. I need to adopt that 5 minute a day plan.Much harder to make excuses when it's only 5 minutes

• Like 2

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien